Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 16:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Quirky Xerus 8.3 for x86_64, released July 29, 2017
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 32 of 48 [711 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
ETP

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 15:15    Post subject: Quirky Xerus 8.1.94 for x86_64, released July 13, 2017
Subject description: Initial test

Hi Barry,

To follow up on item 1. in my previous post:

Quote:
1. Despite the return to retrovol the set master volume level still does not survive a re-boot
returning to zero every time. Suspicion falls on Aumix which perhaps should also have
been removed or some change that was made to the alsa config to accomodate Aumix in the
first place needs to be reverted. In particular /etc/init.d/aumix is still present
together with 3 related config files in /etc. (aumixrc, aumixrc1 & aumixrc2)

After today's tennis final I moved /etc/init.d/aumix to a backup directory.
Set audio volume levels were then preserved across multiple reboots so Aumix was the culprit.

That was my shortest lived Pup ever..... 2days. Smile
Looking forward to your next release.
roger.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   154.6 KB
 Viewed   487 Time(s)

roger.jpg

Kennels
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 15:50    Post subject: Re: Quirky Xerus 8.1.94 for x86_64, released July 13, 2017

ETP wrote:
I moved /etc/init.d/aumix to a backup directory.
Set audio volume levels were then preserved across multiple reboots so Aumix was the culprit.

Changing /etc/init.d/aumix lines 34 and 35 to
Code:
SAVEMIXER="no" # save and restore mixer setting by default
HANDLEALSA="yes" # do not save and restore if ALSA detected by default

also preserves alsa settings across reboots (/var/lib/alsa/asound.state however still disappears after a reboot i.e. if created using alsactl store).
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 17:11    Post subject:  

Quirky Xerus 8.1.94 for x86_64

- are there missing files for keyboard settings ?
Code:
# /usr/sbin/quicksetup
grep: /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst: No such file or directory
grep: /root/.packages/user-installed-packages: No such file or directory

- 2 bugs for adding a new user :
1/ the /home folder should exist by default (mkdir /home)
2/ the file /etc/shadow contains 3 bad entries (surely typos)
messagebus:!:0:99999:7::: should be messagebus:!::0:99999:7:::
haldaemon::0:99999:7::: should be haldaemon:::0:99999:7:::
uucp::0:99999:7::: should be uucp:::0:99999:7:::
That file should be manually corrected as shown above.
And then adding a new user will be bug free.
rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 17:40    Post subject:  

I am attempting to run xerus64-8.1.94 by booting from CD but with q.sfs and s.sfs files in folder /xerus64-8.1.94 on /dev/sda1 (ntfs). The PC has 2G of RAM.

After booting from the CD, I added the b43 firmware to /lib/firmware and saved the session. I then "remastered"* the CD to preserve the name of the folder containing the saved session. But on booting from the remastered CD, the desktop was as if there were no saved session.

Here is what I see during boot-up:
    Creating compressed zram, using 1433046K of RAM
    Setting up layered file system, zram on top, Quirky SFS underneath
    Copying q.sfs to RAM
    Loading session from sda1, folder /xerus64-8.1.94, into RAM
    mkdir: can't create directory '/partition/xerus64-8.1.94/s_sfs': Operation not permitted
    mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /partition/xerus64-8.1.94/s_sfs failed: No such file or directory
    cp: can't stat '/partition/xerus64-8.1.94/s_sfs/*': No such file or directory
    umount: can't unmount /partition/xerus64-8.1.94/s_sfs
    Performing a switch_root onto the layered file system
    Making the filesystem usable...[etc.]
Why is the mkdir not permitted?

As an experiment, I created the s_sfs directory in /xerus64-8.1.94, and rebooted. The boot-up hung at "Loading kernel modules...". But after a manual power-off and new boot-up, the desktop appeared and the /lib/firmware directory contains the b43 directory!

So, the issue is about the not-permitted mkdir.

* Instead of actually remastering the entire quirky CD, "remastering" in quirky is actually the creation of a boot- or initialization CD that relies on the q.sfs and s.sfs files saved on the hard/flash drive in the directory specified for the first "save" operation (default: /xerus64-8.1.94). Please consider a more accurate term and description, to avoid confusing or misleading users.
Richard
radky

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 18:18    Post subject:  

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your consideration of JWMDesk in Quirky.

A couple of issues in JWMDesk-2.3 are now corrected in the new JWMDesk-2.4.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=869688#869688

1 - The pinstall script is now Woof compatible and the JWMDesk-2.4 pet should be usable in both Woof and conventional installations.

2 - Quirky's unique PuppyPin backup script in /root/.xinitrc assumes the defaultpaint icon is always present on the desktop. Consequently, the Icon Layout option of JWMDesk-2.3 is broken.

In /usr/local/desksetup/func of the new JWMDesk-2.4, PuppyPinBACKUP syncs to the new PuppyPin and the Icon Layout option is now Quirky compatible. If you prefer a different solution, I'm open to suggestions. Smile

The Icon Layout option also has a button to save the current desktop icon configuration as a custom arrangement. If one saves the default Quirky icon configuration as the custom arrangement, it is easy to return to the default desktop as any time, including the unique icon options to install or save Quirky.

3 - JWMDesk supports an optional second panel (accessory tray similar to wbar). This works fine for horizontal trays in Quirky's jwm vgit-976, but vertical trays are broken in vgit-976. Earlier or later versions of JWM do support vertical trays.

4 - In JWMDesk-2.4 the GUI width parameter is stored in /usr/local/jwmdesk/preferences/window_width rather than /usr/local/jwmdesk/window_width. I apologize for this inconvenience to your busy schedule.

The new Quirky is running smoothly for me.

Thanks!

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 20:54    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:
belham2 wrote:
...almost forgot "2':

Mike Walsh's excellent Slimjet-sfs packages work awesome in Quirky. I downloaded his 'Slimjet-Version-15.0.0.0 (based on Chromium 59.0.3071.86_64)', quickly converted it to a pet, and it installed easily & is now running good in Quirky 8.1.94. Slimjet provides a nice counterpoint to the installed Seamonkey 2.48---especially when I want to get at my Netflix stuff Wink

Hold on, I'm missing something here.

How did you do this: "quickly converted it to a pet"

Very Happy Wink (hmmmm, my sub 800x600, only 244kb pics are not being posted by the murga-board....give me a sec to figure out what's going on....ah, ok, figured it out...here the two pics are)

I did a quick search of the forum, found two of them:

sfs2pet 0.5, by RSH
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80909

sfs2pet 20121001 by TheAsterisk!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81316

From your snapshots, it looks like you are using the one from RSH

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 20:57    Post subject: Re: Quirky Xerus 8.1.94 for x86_64, released July 13, 2017

ETP wrote:
Hi Barry,

To follow up on item 1. in my previous post:

Quote:
1. Despite the return to retrovol the set master volume level still does not survive a re-boot
returning to zero every time. Suspicion falls on Aumix which perhaps should also have
been removed or some change that was made to the alsa config to accomodate Aumix in the
first place needs to be reverted. In particular /etc/init.d/aumix is still present
together with 3 related config files in /etc. (aumixrc, aumixrc1 & aumixrc2)

After today's tennis final I moved /etc/init.d/aumix to a backup directory.

Thanks, I have removed aumix.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 21:00    Post subject: Re: Quirky Xerus 8.1.94 for x86_64, released July 13, 2017

rufwoof wrote:
ETP wrote:
I moved /etc/init.d/aumix to a backup directory.

Changing /etc/init.d/aumix lines 34 and 35 to
Code:
SAVEMIXER="no" # save and restore mixer setting by default
HANDLEALSA="yes" # do not save and restore if ALSA detected by default

also preserves alsa settings across reboots (/var/lib/alsa/asound.state however still disappears after a reboot i.e. if created using alsactl store).

/etc/init.d/10alsa saves and restores the alsa state at /etc/asound.state

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 21:10    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
I am attempting to run xerus64-8.1.94 by booting from CD but with q.sfs and s.sfs files in folder /xerus64-8.1.94 on /dev/sda1 (ntfs). The PC has 2G of RAM.

After booting from the CD, I added the b43 firmware to /lib/firmware and saved the session. I then "remastered"* the CD to preserve the name of the folder containing the saved session. But on booting from the remastered CD, the desktop was as if there were no saved session.

Copying q.sfs to RAM
    mkdir: can't create directory '/partition/xerus64-8.1.94/s_sfs': Operation not permitted
    mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /partition/xerus64-8.1.94/s_sfs failed: No such file or directory

As an experiment, I created the s_sfs directory in /xerus64-8.1.94, and rebooted. The boot-up hung at "Loading kernel modules...". But after a manual power-off and new boot-up, the desktop appeared and the /lib/firmware directory contains the b43 directory!

* Instead of actually remastering the entire quirky CD, "remastering" in quirky is actually the creation of a boot- or initialization CD that relies on the q.sfs and s.sfs files saved on the hard/flash drive in the directory specified for the first "save" operation (default: /xerus64-8.1.94). Please consider a more accurate term and description, to avoid confusing or misleading users.
Richard

My first thought is that the ntfs partition has been mounted read-only. I have only tested on ext4 partitions.

OK, I will create a ntfs partition to test on.

Yeah, I take your point about the "remastering", I need to word that more accurately.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 21:16    Post subject:  

radky wrote:
Hi Barry,

Thanks for your consideration of JWMDesk in Quirky.

A couple of issues in JWMDesk-2.3 are now corrected in the new JWMDesk-2.4.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=869688#869688

1 - The pinstall script is now Woof compatible and the JWMDesk-2.4 pet should be usable in both Woof and conventional installations.

2 - Quirky's unique PuppyPin backup script in /root/.xinitrc assumes the defaultpaint icon is always present on the desktop. Consequently, the Icon Layout option of JWMDesk-2.3 is broken.

In /usr/local/desksetup/func of the new JWMDesk-2.4, PuppyPinBACKUP syncs to the new PuppyPin and the Icon Layout option is now Quirky compatible. If you prefer a different solution, I'm open to suggestions. Smile

The Icon Layout option also has a button to save the current desktop icon configuration as a custom arrangement. If one saves the default Quirky icon configuration as the custom arrangement, it is easy to return to the default desktop as any time, including the unique icon options to install or save Quirky.

3 - JWMDesk supports an optional second panel (accessory tray similar to wbar). This works fine for horizontal trays in Quirky's jwm vgit-976, but vertical trays are broken in vgit-976. Earlier or later versions of JWM do support vertical trays.

4 - In JWMDesk-2.4 the GUI width parameter is stored in /usr/local/jwmdesk/preferences/window_width rather than /usr/local/jwmdesk/window_width. I apologize for this inconvenience to your busy schedule.

The new Quirky is running smoothly for me.

Thanks!

Thank you very much for doing that!

I was going going to pm you, but you got onto it immediately.
That's great, I will upgrade to 2.4.

Yes, I have dragged my heels regarding upgrading jwm. The reason is my laziness, because I will need to fix all of the jwm theme pets.
-- there are a dozen or so of them in the "noarch" pet repo.

I only want to do minimal changes at this stage, before releasing Quirky 8.2, so I guess will leave jwm version as-is for now.

zygo

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 21:26    Post subject:  

Barry,

I tried a few of your release since werewolf x86_64_7.3.3 but found they would freeze after a few hours or even minutes. I'm hoping that's fixed with the change to aufs.

I booted Quirky Xerus 8.1.94 x86_64 from the iso on a flash drive (live-flash you could say).

I installed mupdf, elinks, firefox and others. They're fine so far but libtre5_0.8.0-4_amd64.deb and libopenjp2-7_2.1.0-2.1_amd64.deb are each listed as a blank line in QPM and abscent from the Check dependencies app (top of setup menu).

EDIT
I noticed, before I installed anything, these 2:

qpdf is ticked in QPM but can not be invoked from the command line. How can I invoke this?

on the command line xnetl<tab> completes to xnetload but there's no executable. I then installed it and now it works fine. I don't see why name completion worked before installation.

Thanks

Last edited by zygo on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 06:03; edited 2 times in total
rameshiyer

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 21:52    Post subject: Quirky Xerux 8.1.94
Subject description: Booting issue

After booting power failure, now the Qurky Xerus is not booting up. No desktop even after power failure ( It shows either enter option or wait for automatic boot up ).
How to restore Quirky Xerux 8.1.94 installed entire hard disk partition.

2. Please provide Universal Installer.

3. The systems is seems to be slow.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 22:07    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
rerwin wrote:

Copying q.sfs to RAM

Richard

My first thought is that the ntfs partition has been mounted read-only. I have only tested on ext4 partitions.

OK, I will create a ntfs partition to test on.

Yeah, I take your point about the "remastering", I need to word that more accurately.

Oh dear. there is a problem with ntfs.

Not using ntfs-3g, but the one in the kernel.

# busybox mount -t ntfs /dev/sda9 /mnt/sda9

# mount
....this shows it is mounted rw.

# mkdir /mnt/sda9/testdir
...fails!!! "operation not permitted"

Any ideas why?

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul 2017, 01:58    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Oh dear. there is a problem with ntfs.

Not using ntfs-3g, but the one in the kernel.

# busybox mount -t ntfs /dev/sda9 /mnt/sda9

# mount
....this shows it is mounted rw.

# mkdir /mnt/sda9/testdir
...fails!!! "operation not permitted"

Any ideas why?

The kernel has the ntfs driver builtin, and configured to allow rw mounting. The initrd used to work, mounting a ntfs partition rw and it could be written to.

However, something has changed. But what?

Anyway, I have put the ntfs-3g driver into the initrd.q, and modified the 'init' script in the initrd.q to use ntfs-3g instead of the kernel builtin driver.

I haven't tried it yet, but it should work. ntfs-3g is a fuse-based driver, and is compiled statically, about 410KB. A bit bulky.

It is better to use ntfs-3g anyway, due to its more reliable performance. Slow, because of the fuse, but reliable.

L18L

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul 2017, 03:22    Post subject: Re: video and UTF-8  

BarryK wrote:
L18L wrote:

But after some reboots no reboot was possible any more.
I have read now that 4GB RAM is not enough.
But not finding a way out of this situation (fsck did not help) makes it a no go for me.

How did you get that idea? 4GB RAM is plenty. A full install should run on fine a PC with less than 1GB RAM.

What do you mean by "no reboot was possible any more"?
What exactly happens when you boot?

OK. that value of 4GB is for the drive.

The full install was created by
Code:
gunzip --stdout xerus64-8.1.94-8gb.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

Keyboard was working but I have no idea what to do on shell in ramdisk.
IMG_20170717.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   88.08 KB
 Viewed   308 Time(s)

IMG_20170717.jpg

Page 32 of 48 [711 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: