Quirky Xerus 8.6 (Aug. 16), Beaver 8.7.1 (Sept. 21), 2018

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#481 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:* Instead of actually remastering the entire quirky CD, "remastering" in quirky is actually the creation of a boot- or initialization CD that relies on the q.sfs and s.sfs files saved on the hard/flash drive in the directory specified for the first "save" operation (default: /xerus64-8.1.94). Please consider a more accurate term and description, to avoid confusing or misleading users.
Richard
I have reworded that window, it is now called a "boot-CD" and explanation is given that it is only a skeleton CD, with the main Quirky file q.sfs and the saved session s.sfs on the hard drive.

This is in script /usr/sbin/savesession.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#482 Post by BarryK »

linuxcbon wrote: 2/ the file /etc/shadow contains 3 bad entries (surely typos)
messagebus:!:0:99999:7::: should be messagebus:!::0:99999:7:::
haldaemon::0:99999:7::: should be haldaemon:::0:99999:7:::
uucp::0:99999:7::: should be uucp:::0:99999:7:::
That file should be manually corrected as shown above.
And then adding a new user will be bug free.
That's interesting. That "typo" has been there forever. Like, since 2001 probably.

I have fixed it, thanks for the feedback.

The same situation in woof-CE:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... etc/shadow

Refreshing my memory about the fields:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/understan ... adow-file/

BarryK
Puppy Master

#483 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:Barry,

I tried a few of your release since werewolf x86_64_7.3.3 but found they would freeze after a few hours or even minutes. I'm hoping that's fixed with the change to aufs.

I booted Quirky Xerus 8.1.94 x86_64 from the iso on a flash drive (live-flash you could say).

I installed mupdf, elinks, firefox and others. They're fine so far but libtre5_0.8.0-4_amd64.deb and libopenjp2-7_2.1.0-2.1_amd64.deb are each listed as a blank line in QPM and abscent from the Check dependencies app (top of setup menu).

Also qpdf is installed but can not be invoked from the command line. How can I invoke this?

xnetl <tab> completes to xnetload but there's no executable.

Thanks
I suggest look in /root/.packages, which has files with lists of all files installed by each package. it may be that qpdf, for example, has a different name for the executable.

I would like to pickup these situations and implement automatic fixes.

drongo

quirky xerus and ntfs

#484 Post by drongo »

Barry I have seen some odd behaviour with Quirky running from CD on a 64 bit laptop. Every USB stick and external drive works absolutely flawlessly except when I use really big drives when they sometimes get mounted read only. By big drives I mean 3TB and above. Fixed by rerunning Puppy mounting utilities one or more times or by rebooting Quirky.
Sorry if this is a bit vague, I don't have access to that laptop any more so I can't do any follow up testing.
Never had any problems mounting any drive on that laptop with other versions of Puppy and never had any problems with Puppy mounting drives on any other PC. (Long time Puppy user 13 years or more.) So I don't think it's finger trouble.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Quirky Xerux 8.1.94

#485 Post by BarryK »

rameshiyer wrote:After booting power failure, now the Qurky Xerus is not booting up. No desktop even after power failure ( It shows either enter option or wait for automatic boot up ).
How to restore Quirky Xerux 8.1.94 installed entire hard disk partition.
Normally, the journal of the ext4 filesystem is able to recover from a power failure.

As Quirky is installed to a hard drive partition, I presume you have GRUB installed?

If so, insert "qfix=fsck" into the kernel commandline, in the menu.lst file.

One precaution that you can take, if you are in a location prone to power failure. At first bootup, go to the Filesystem menu and select Snapshot Manager.
Then take a snapshot.

If it won't boot later on, due to a power failure or some other disaster, and "qfix=fsck" did not fix it (though it should have), then try "qfix=bak" -- that will roll back the partition to the snapshot.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: video and UTF-8

#486 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:
BarryK wrote:
L18L wrote: But after some reboots no reboot was possible any more.
I have read now that 4GB RAM is not enough.
But not finding a way out of this situation (fsck did not help) makes it a no go for me.
How did you get that idea? 4GB RAM is plenty. A full install should run on fine a PC with less than 1GB RAM.

What do you mean by "no reboot was possible any more"?
What exactly happens when you boot?
OK. that value of 4GB is for the drive.

The full install was created by

Code: Select all

gunzip --stdout xerus64-8.1.94-8gb.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
Keyboard was working but I have no idea what to do on shell in ramdisk.
It won't work, at least, not properly. That file xerus64-8.1.94-8gb.img.gz is for a 8GB or larger Flash stick.

You can install to a 4GB stick, but you will have to boot the live-CD and click the "install" icon on the desktop.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: quirky xerus and ntfs

#487 Post by BarryK »

drongo wrote:Barry I have seen some odd behaviour with Quirky running from CD on a 64 bit laptop. Every USB stick and external drive works absolutely flawlessly except when I use really big drives when they sometimes get mounted read only. By big drives I mean 3TB and above. Fixed by rerunning Puppy mounting utilities one or more times or by rebooting Quirky.
Sorry if this is a bit vague, I don't have access to that laptop any more so I can't do any follow up testing.
Never had any problems mounting any drive on that laptop with other versions of Puppy and never had any problems with Puppy mounting drives on any other PC. (Long time Puppy user 13 years or more.) So I don't think it's finger trouble.
My first reaction is that it is a Linux kernel problem.

What filesystem is on those big drives?

I have a 4TB hard drive, with one big 3.6TB ext4 partition, another small ext4 partition, and a swap partition.
I am using it everyday, it has my woofQ and OpenEmbedded work, no problem with mounting.

drongo

big drives

#488 Post by drongo »

Could well be a kernel problem. I use ntfs for my drives as I have to be able to use them on MS computers.

I only mentioned this because you wrote about Quirky/ntfs problems on your blog and I thought the size of the partitions might be relevant.

zygo

#489 Post by zygo »

Barry,

sorry I implied a sequence. The last 2 observations should have been:
I noticed, before I installed anything, these 2:

qpdf is ticked in QPM but can not be invoked from the command line. How can I invoke this?

on the command line xnetl<tab> completes to xnetload but there's no executable. I then installed it and now it works fine. I don't see why name completion worked before installation.
/root/.packages/builtin_files/qpdf lists libqpdf (and a link to it) QPM additionally ticks the excutable.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#490 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:Barry,

sorry I implied a sequence. The last 2 observations should have been:
I noticed, before I installed anything, these 2:

qpdf is ticked in QPM but can not be invoked from the command line. How can I invoke this?

on the command line xnetl<tab> completes to xnetload but there's no executable. I then installed it and now it works fine. I don't see why name completion worked before installation.
/root/.packages/builtin_files/qpdf lists libqpdf (and a link to it) QPM additionally ticks the excutable.
Ah, yes, the package-list in woofQ gave the name as "qpdf" but only installed the library DEBs. OK, I have added the DEB with the qpdf executable.

Regarding "xnetl" tab completion. That is very odd. I just tried, don't have that problem.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: big drives

#491 Post by BarryK »

drongo wrote:Could well be a kernel problem. I use ntfs for my drives as I have to be able to use them on MS computers.

I only mentioned this because you wrote about Quirky/ntfs problems on your blog and I thought the size of the partitions might be relevant.
/bin/mount is a script, and if you look at it, you will see that it uses ntfs-3g to mount a ntfs partition, but if it fails, it falls back to mounting read-only.

It would be interesting to see what error number you get when it fails.
The script does test for some error numbers, and attempt a second mount with the "force" option.

Note also, the script logs error messages to /tmp/ntfsmnterr${MYPID}.txt, so if you get a failure to mount read-write, that file might be helpful.

zygo

#492 Post by zygo »

The SNS window that has, in the bottom right, the buttons to connect (in my case eth0 and usb0 (a 3G dongle)) also lists previous profiles. There were 3 profiles for usb0; each cdc_ether and each with different hardware addresses. I had probably used usb0 3 times. On earlier Quirkys there was just one profile for usb0 no matter how many times it had been plugged in.

rerwin

#493 Post by rerwin »

BarryK,
Thanks for reworking the "remaster" issue.

I have another simpler request that you update rc.sysinit to fulfill the implied promise in the comment:
#120505 ***NOTE: this code block extracted to /usr/sbin/network_default_connect. in future could delete it here and call that script.***
To assist, I have updated and attached the network_default_connect script to match the code to be replaced in rc.sysinit by the invocation of /usr/sbin/network_default_connect.

This would facilitate experimentation with "network_connect" enhancements.

Thank you, for considering this.
Richard
Attachments
network_default_connect.gz
Ready for use by rc.sysinit
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#494 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:BarryK,
Thanks for reworking the "remaster" issue.

I have another simpler request that you update rc.sysinit to fulfill the implied promise in the comment:
#120505 ***NOTE: this code block extracted to /usr/sbin/network_default_connect. in future could delete it here and call that script.***
To assist, I have updated and attached the network_default_connect script to match the code to be replaced in rc.sysinit by the invocation of /usr/sbin/network_default_connect.

This would facilitate experimentation with "network_connect" enhancements.

Thank you, for considering this.
Richard
OK, done.

I have also made a small change to /etc/rc.d/rc.network_eth

That's it for now. I am starting to build 8.2, the release version. Will give it some sanity testing and probably release in a day or two.

Any further changes will have to go into 8.2.1.

doggone

#495 Post by doggone »

Using a frugal install to HD. Everything I tested works well and as expected except that I can not ad a printer. When trying to ad a printer, the browser says, “The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631. Please check this out before releasing 8.2.

linuxcbon

#496 Post by linuxcbon »

doggone wrote:Using a frugal install to HD. Everything I tested works well and as expected except that I can not ad a printer. When trying to ad a printer, the browser says, “The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631. Please check this out before releasing 8.2.
yes, executable permissions are missing, you can solve it with the command

chmod +x /etc/init.d/*
There are other minor bugs though :

# /usr/sbin/cups_shell
/etc/init.d/cups: line 183: echo_success: command not found
cups: stopped scheduler.
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 25: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 26: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 54: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/etc/init.d/cups: line 175: echo_success: command not found
cups: started scheduler.

zygo

Printing works

#497 Post by zygo »

Barry,

I have used Libre Office Write for the first time in a Quirky and I expected it to kill my live-flash in 2GB of RAM. But it was only very slightly sluggish and it even printed (and without the leading blank line that was guaranteed by Abiword). And when I asked it to do too much the offending applications crashed without crashing X or the OS (unlike other Quirkys since 733)! :D

ETP

#498 Post by ETP »

@linuxcbon & doggone

Sorry linuxcbon but I do not agree with your shotgun code approach i.e. making
everything in /etc/init.d/ executable.

In previous Pups Barry has usually had cups starting and running by default.
In other words ticked in "BootManager:Manage system services". In this beta Pup
IIRC he did not, which would explain doggone's error message.
If you do tick cups you need to then reboot for correct operation.

The composite shot below shows the relationship between "Manage system services"
and the content of /etc/init.d/
A tick toggles the item into an executable state. A blank box removes the executable
permission.

In the composite shot below I am displaying executable files in blue as is my habit.
It is handy in many folders to quickly see at a glance what is and is not executable.

There is no need to turn on items that you have no intention of using.
Attachments
image-3.png
(87.71 KiB) Downloaded 2024 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#499 Post by BarryK »

Quirky Xerus 8.2 final is released, see announcement, release notes and download links:

http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00609

My previous experience is that there are always more bugs found after an official release, so probably 8.2.1 is not far away.
It is expected to be a simple Service Pack PET.

I have not released a Service Pack to upgrade from Xerus 8.1.6, as there were some problems reported awhile back regarding the Service Packs not working quite as expected.
I decided to get 8.2 out, and then examine the Service Pack mechanism at my leisure.

There is a post above about printing not working, and one post with a fix. I did test printing with an earlier beta build and it worked, so I thought that one was OK. I will check it out.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#500 Post by BarryK »

linuxcbon wrote:
doggone wrote:Using a frugal install to HD. Everything I tested works well and as expected except that I can not ad a printer. When trying to ad a printer, the browser says, “The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631. Please check this out before releasing 8.2.
yes, executable permissions are missing, you can solve it with the command

chmod +x /etc/init.d/*
There are other minor bugs though :

# /usr/sbin/cups_shell
/etc/init.d/cups: line 183: echo_success: command not found
cups: stopped scheduler.
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 25: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 26: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 54: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/etc/init.d/cups: line 175: echo_success: command not found
cups: started scheduler.
Oh, I see. That is why printing was reported as broken. The change that I made was to disable most of the daemons, including /etc/init.d/cups. This is done by clearing the "execute" permissions of the file.

The reason why I did this, is because I am becoming increasing paranoid about security, and any daemon is a potential security hole.

You can right-click on /etc/init.d/cups and choose "Properties" then tick the "Exec" checkboxes.

Or, Menu -> Setup -> QuickSetup
then click the "Manage daemons" button.
Edit:
Or, Menu -> System -> BootManager
then choose "Manage System Services"

Edit:
Ha ha, I have just spotted a bug, in that "Manage daemons" window. There is a checkbox labeled just "functions" (file /etc/init.d/functions). Do not tick that, it is not a daemon.
It doesn't matter if ticked anyway, as it is only a collection of functions. This file comes from the OpenEmbedded project, so I put it in there for compatibility with OE.

I will filter that out of the list, to avoid user confusion.