Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 01:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Do not order an Alpha Litebook from this website
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
muggins

PostPosted: Thu 25 May 2017, 22:02    Post subject:  Do not order an Alpha Litebook from this website  

I saw this post by Barry, on his blog, A laptop for linux, and dived in and ordered one straight away. I don't know when the warning of the bottom of the page appeared, but in any case I missed it.

Well i'm posting here, as I don't know where else to post, that the site https://alpha.store appears to be run by scammers. My money has disappeared down a blackhole, all emails to them are never answered, forum posts are, at first unanswered, then just purged.

There was a thread on delivery delays for the litebook but, again, it just disappeared. Caveat emptor!
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 25 May 2017, 23:32    Post subject:  

Exactly where did you order your litebook from?
James C

PostPosted: Fri 26 May 2017, 00:26    Post subject:  

https://alpha.store
drunkjedi

PostPosted: Fri 26 May 2017, 10:03    Post subject:  

Muggins, Barry did give warning at end of that post, see comment there for details.
mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Fri 26 May 2017, 10:54    Post subject:  

muggins wrote:
I don't know when the warning of the bottom of the page appeared, but in any case I missed it.

The blog's time stamps are no help here. Unless my browser is doing something funny, it would seem that Barry K. travelled back in time to post the comment...

(Actually, the warning must have been there since at least March 17 according to Google cache. I agree that it can be easily missed, though, especially if someone only skims the post and then goes on reading the linked Softpedia article. Maybe put the warning on top or change the title?)
times.png
 Description   
 Filesize   18.58 KB
 Viewed   425 Time(s)

times.png

muggins

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 01:38    Post subject: Re: Alpha Litebook  

OK, I received my laptop 3 months after I ordered it, as they reckon they sent it to a US address in error. (Even though they emailed me a receipt clearly showing my Tasmanian address). I had to pay an extra $US50 to cover postage.

Anyway, as I don't really need another laptop, I've pm'ed Barry to see if he wants it.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 05:40    Post subject:  

I didn't realise you were still around muggins. Weren't you doing some university computer-related course or other?

William

muggins

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 08:21    Post subject: re: uni course  

hello William,

yes, i did 25% of a computer science degree in 2006. I reckon I would be in the running for getting a gold medal for dropping out of the most tertiary courses...in 1975 I lasted 1 month doing cobol & fortran4 with
Hollerith cards! I'm basically just not a team person.

cheers
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 10:02    Post subject:  

Ha ha ha, I once had to teach COBOL 85. I had previously been an Electronics Engineer so only knew BASIC, Pascal, C, and various Assembly languages, but got myself a job in a business computing department of a Polytech... So I learned COBOL and taught it using Jackson Structured Programming methodology to a bunch of business computing students who otherwise were generally coding in Visual Basic at that time. Yeah, it was weird all that File, Records stuff and verbose English-like COBOL language - the programs used to work though, but really it was all silly stuff to me who liked to program little robotic vehicles, containing microprocessors/Z80/or 6502 of 8051 and more, and general computer engineering/datacomms interfacing and so on. The things we have to bore ourselves with in life... COBOL.............

I still find computers in terms of just app programming a bit numbskull boring unless there is a bit electronics/interfacing involved - yet I haven't done anything like that (i.e. fun/interesting stuff for years) - never even used a Raspberry PI!!! Trouble is, everything is so easily bought already working nowadays whereas in the past you had to build everything (unless you were rich); My father was into HAM radio in a big way (building transmitters, but who cares about that now we have global Internet - oh... the fun has been taken out of technical life... sigh... My android phone does everything and I hardly ever use it!

William

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jul 2017, 14:03    Post subject:  

Don't knock COBOL (and PL/1).
Pretty much every large corporation in the World running on IBM and ICL? equipment use them.

wimpy

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul 2017, 03:38    Post subject:  

One of the most awesome commands in COBOL was one that allowed you to change lines of code retrospectively. A line "GOTO 47"(say) could be changed later in the script to " GOTO 75". Debugging was a nightmare. And those wrecked Hollerith data cards, which had to be prised out with.screwdrivers and pliers. They would then be reconstructed using a hand punch Wonderful days.Smile.
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul 2017, 06:47    Post subject:  

Any sensible support group would refuse to accept such practices as SELF MODIFYING CODE.
I know that I always told companies that I would not support any code like that. The other thing that I refused to allow was LABEL VARIABLES.

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: