Adobe's Reader 9.5.5...

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Mike Walsh

Adobe's Reader 9.5.5...

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

PDF readers we are not short of in Puppyland. There are numerous native ones, there's things like Foxit Software's PDFReader (though I find the Windoze version running under WINE is way more feature-rich than the somewhat stunted Linux version).

Which brings us around to 'the Daddy'. Adobe's Acrobat Reader for PDFs. Following, once again, the Puppy maxim of 'choice', I've packaged Adobe's final Linux release, version 9.5.5, from 4 years ago. 4 years old it may well be, but, like so much older software, it's still perfectly functional.....if that's what you're used to, and it's what you want.

It's available from my MediaFire a/c, in both .pet and SFS format:_

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/mkxh1y ... t_Reader_9

Help yourselves. Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

Thank You Mike!! I do need it once in awhile due to familiar controls... Doesn't need to be the newest...just function well. So these 2 files go into my collection and the sfs right into mainstream use.

perdido

#3 Post by perdido »

Hi Mike,
Here is some additional info for setup of the browser plugin.
One of the unique properties of Adobe Reader 9.5.5 is that it can fill in online interactive XFA PDF forms from US govt.
There are no other software available for Linux that will do that.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 409#862409

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

perdido is totally correct....I almost forgot for a moment those PDF forms and applications!!

the SFS and PET both work on my Tahr64-6.0.5 and Tahr64-6.0.6 plus both tahr 6.0.5 and 6.0.6 32bit systems ...very cool.

perdido

#5 Post by perdido »

The plugin also works in my pale moon 26.3.3 in case anyone was wondering, but needs to be manually installed.

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, perdido/rockedge.

I came across it the other day, TBH. I know it's been around for years, but I also know there's many Government institutions (both here in the UK, and definitely on t'other side of 'the Pond') that insist on Adobe Reader for a lot of stuff.

I mainly use Foxit Software's PDF Reader, running under WINE. I've tried the Linux version, but it's a very sparse, feature-poor thing compared to the Whinedoze version!

Since it's an easy one to package, and even has its own desktop entry (which works, for a change, without needing any editing), I thought I'd make it available. I know our American cousins mostly have to fill out their own tax returns; an 'option' which is becoming more commonly offered here in the UK, too.

@perdido:-

How d'you get hold of this plug-in? Is it mainly a FireFox thing.....or do Google have an offering for the Chrome/Chromium-based browsers? And more to the point.....how does it work?

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@perdido:-

Never mind; scratch my last question. This version appears to be the full version, complete with plug-ins and everything. I downloaded this from Softpedia, who aren't quite as 'pushy' with bloatware as some of the major software download sites.

I had a look at the download link you gave; extracted that and studied it. Had a look at your SFS package, then compared it, and the extracted download, with my SFS.

The browser install script is there already, along with execute permissions and the whole kit'n'caboodle, including the nppdf.so and all the intellinux stuff. That's where the bulk of the package lies. And the proof? I'm in Xenialpup, so I opened up PaleMoon (which I don't really use much; I'm a long-term Chrome guy!), looked in Menu->Add-ons->Plugins.....and there it was, looking back at me.

This particular package appears to execute the 'global' option by default. All I did was d/l the package, extract, make up the .pet & SFS packages, then install using the .pet package, since there's tons of room on that partition; no real need of space-saving there. But that's why I did both; not everybody wants a package that size permanently loaded/installed.

I didn't touch the terminal to run the plug-in installer script; it appears to have run totally automatically, using (as stated) the 'global' option.

I ought to have realised that somebody else would have packaged this, at some point during the last 4 years..!

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. Appreciated. :D

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Following further experimentation (and just to clarify the point with the browser plug-in), it appears that if you install the .pet package, the browser install script runs automatically. If, however, you load the SFS package, you do indeed need to run the browser plugin script from the terminal.

Which, TBH, is pretty much what I expected.

01101001b

Re: Adobe's Reader 9.5.5...

#9 Post by 01101001b »

Mike Walsh wrote:It's available from my MediaFire a/c, in both .pet and SFS format
Exactly what I was searching for. Thank you so much! :)

Subito Piano

#10 Post by Subito Piano »

Superior -- except, I have 64-bit and get the following error:

Code: Select all

/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
I tried installing libxml2_2, but that didn't work. Anyone know how to get Adobe Reader 9 working in 64-bit Xenial Pup??
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Subito Piano:-

As you've discovered, you're getting the 'wrong ELF class' error. That's because you're trying to run a 32-bit application in a 64-bit OS. This is perfectly possible, but it needs what in the mainstream distros is called 'multi-arch support'.

In Puppy, this is achieved by the use of the appropriate '32-bit_compat_libs' SFS. You can find Xenial64's here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... nial64.sfs

Download it. Copy it to /mnt/home, and load the SFS. Now; this is the important bit:-

Immediately after doing this, and before you do anything else at all, open a terminal. Type in

Code: Select all

ldconfig
.....and hit 'Enter'. (That's a small 'L', not a '1'.) Be patient; this will take a wee while to complete. Wait for the prompt ('#') to return. Once it does, Puppy has finished setting up all the 32-bit dependencies required to let 32-bit stuff run correctly in a 64-bit Puppy, along with all associated sym-links.

When this is completed, you should find that Adobe's Reader 9 will now behave itself, and fire up. It runs fine for me in Xenialpup64.....the only 64-bit Pup I run nowadays.

Let us know if that does the trick for you, please. It should.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 19 Nov 2019, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

Subito Piano

#12 Post by Subito Piano »

Wunderbar! -- and such a quick reply! Thanks -- I don't have a 64-bit system at home so I will try it out tomorrow and post back.
Step-by-step instructions were a nice touch. ;)
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D

Subito Piano

#13 Post by Subito Piano »

Hmm.....the sfs didn't work for some reason.

That said, I'm going to not use it, b/c between adobe and the 32-bit compatibility sfs, it's over 300MB, plus firefox and chromium both display PDF files within the browser, so IDK that there is any reason for acrobat at the 8th - 12th grade level, except maybe an occasional college application or something.

However, now I know where to go should I need to run 32-bit programs in 64-bit, at least in theory. It might take a little experimenting.

Again, thanks, Mike, for the quick advice. :)