Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Oct 2017, 20:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 76 of 80 [1190 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 Next
Marv

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:19    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Mornin', Marv.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll give it a go. Currently I'm restarting X every time it happens....which is a pain in the..... !!

Talking of which, what's going on here? Every time I boot into X-Tahr, my desktop icons are all 'arranged' over on the far left-hand side. I seem to recall XFCE in Xubuntu had an option to 'lock' the desktop.....but Pup doesn't appear to have it.

So what's the answer? X-Slacko 2.3.2 doesn't do this; I've never had the problem with it. I know it's an older version of XFCE, true, but even so.....

It's annoying!!!

Mike. Wink
The pet also installs a .desktop , gvfsd_clean, which calls the kill script. Add it to a panel and it kills without restarting X. To disable the scheduled task once the pet is installed just use the boot manager>services to turn off crond. Or just copy and paste the .desktop and script from the pet.

Next time I boot into X-Tahr I'll look at the icons. I pretty much run with an empty desktop so I never thought about it.

Edit: Version 1.12 above uses file number and size tests, logs to gvfsd_log in /tmp, gives immediate mode (.desktop) over-ride precedence, and (I hope) uninstalls better to accomodate other crond tasks pre-existing in pups that have crond enabled while still installing the needed crond files in those pups that don't have them.

Edit: Booted into both X-Tahr 2.0 and X-slacko 4.2 as part of the work above and while there deliberately spewed my icons about on the desktop. Drives, folders, trash, and a launcher or two. Restarted X, rebooted, and the repositions stuck FOR A WHILE, then reverted to the left. So no help on that. Running bog standard Grub4Dos frugal install with smallish (256Mb) EXT2 savefiles. The icon positions are saved at root/.config/xfce4/desktop/, don't know where the call to use that is though. The odd thing is that I know they were still spewed for a time because I started writing this (Opera, fullscreen), then checked again and they had reverted. ???

Jim

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 20:37    Post subject:  

Hiya, Marv.

Well, your .pet is the mutt's nuts, mate. I installed it in X-Tahr yesterday, and haven't had a single instance of the CPU going bonkers since! Done quite a bit of file-transfer stuff in that time-frame (over the network, as well).....and everything's purring like a kitten. Smooth as so much oiled silk.

Nice one. Cheers! Very Happy

----------------------------------------------------

As for the desktop icons; I gave 'em up as a bad job. I don't know what's going on there myself, but I've ended up using a second panel as a launcher bar. They seem to be behaving themselves on there..! Laughing

Mike. Wink

Marv

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 21:26    Post subject:  

Thanks Mike, I've been using it on all my laptops now and haven't had any runaways either. Since it logs, and I've been flogging several of the machines installing new printers and putting a newer laptop in service in place of one of the Pentium Ms, I have a better idea how the load builds and have an alternate script that is even more selective. It checks for time since file creation (modification actually) in both the cache and gvfs directory and uses that information as well as size to decide when to kill/clean. The immediate mode still exists from the .desktop. No changes at all to the structure of the 1.12 pet, just the gvsd_kill.sh script in /usr/sbin. I'll gzip just the script and attach it below for a look-see. I think it's pretty self explanatory.
gvfsd_kill.sh.gz
Description  gzipped latest /usr/sbin/gvsd_kill.sh script, misplaced double quote in next to last line... fixed
gz

Download 
Filename  gvfsd_kill.sh.gz 
Filesize  482 Bytes 
Downloaded  58 Time(s) 

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.

Last edited by Marv on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 14:15; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2017, 07:14    Post subject:  

Morning, Marv.

Thanks for that. I'm in 571 at the moment, but I'll do the swap in X-Tahr later today, and see how it goes. I'll keep you updated along the way.

Cheers.

Mike. Wink

Marv

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2017, 14:17    Post subject:  

Fixed a misplaced " in the kill file 2 posts up, next to last line. Re-uploaded, sorry. Happened when I added cache info to the logfile.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2017, 18:58    Post subject:  

Re-downloaded, extracted & replaced.

Cheers.

Mike. Wink

mistfire

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2017, 23:03    Post subject:  

@rg66 I try convert X-Slacko to network bootable placing SFS file inside the initrd.gz when it boot to network by PXE it fails to load SFS in ram causing kernel panic.
Rodney Byne

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun 2017, 02:20    Post subject: Link PrtSc key to TAS-1.9  

Hi to all.

Can someone advise me how I may be able
to link the PrtSc key on my laptop, to automatically
open Take-a-Shot TAS-1.9?
Thanks in advance.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun 2017, 04:31    Post subject:  

Rodney, in the xfce control panel select keyboard > Application Shortcuts > Add, select a application and you will be prompted to select a key, it's like that in X-Tahr pretty sure the same in X-Slacko.

Rodney Byne

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun 2017, 14:29    Post subject: Re PrtSc  

Thank you Geoffrey,
For your clear instructions, so Ctrl-PrtSc was the link answer
to pull up TaS, as I wanted to capture full-screen camera views
from the ISS in this example today below.
It looks as if the pink-topped clouds while flying over nth Africa
was a Saharan sand storm.
Best regards.
Resized ISS_2017-06-02_16.17.33.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Resized ISS_2017-06-02_16.17.33.jpg 
Filesize  46.22 KB 
Downloaded  271 Time(s) 
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 01:17    Post subject:  

I've uploaded a couple of sfs's to the repo. vlc-2.2.6-i486-1alien.sfs and wxHexEditor-0.23.sfs. Get them here: http://www.smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/sfs/

After a very long break, I am working on X-Slacko again. v4.3 should be out sometime in the not so distant future and will most likely be the last of the 4 series.

Marv

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 07:17    Post subject:  

Hi rg66, most happy to hear from you.

Jim

belham2

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 09:02    Post subject:  

Marv wrote:
Hi rg66, most happy to hear from you.

+1

Actually am kind of excited 'RG-the-XFCE-master" Wink is back in the puppy house and going to be doing a new release . Between Battleshooters' still excellent Carolina Vanguard and Geoffrey's great X-Tahr-2.0 (for all our family photo/video work), RG66 completes the triumvirate that brings us that XFCE-goodness and project-stability. (Mistfire & his X-Slacko-Slim is almost there to make it a quartet, but only if Slim's Xorg problems could get worked out).

So welcome back rg66! Can't wait till the new release Smile
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul 2017, 15:24    Post subject:  

Just for something to do I made a recently used files app. You can select multiple entries and it seems to handle white spaces. Rec_used-1.1.pet can be downloaded here http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/pet_packages-X-slacko/
Menu entry is in office.
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   20.05 KB
 Viewed   281 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

rg66

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul 2017, 18:32    Post subject:  

I've uploaded opera-stable_45.0.2552.898_i386.sfs and palemoon-27.3.0.sfs to the repo. Get them here: http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/sfs/
Page 76 of 80 [1190 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: