TrinityDog - Jessie & Stretch

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#21 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:1) I lost the conky, which now will not restart or start at all no matter what. This is weird because it was working great and clear on first boot up, and:

2) It took one of my monitors (both monitors are identical) and now the colors are smearing and fading on the non-primary monitor--they are just messed up like crazy. Before I activiated the "Global Configuration" both monitor desktops backgrounds and colors were perfect in clarity and trueness.
Hi Belham, thanks for the feedback, good to know you got wired connection automatically.

I did some experimenting with two monitors also, switching between them is fine but 2 together gave me also a disappeared conky (on one of them)
The strange colors you got, I couldn't reproduce.
Can't help I'm afraid (don't have much experience with these matters and only have a laptop and one external monitor to test with). (restarting X might help maybe?)

Btw, need to say this is a very basic Trinity Desktop, the advice on the Trintity website is to install "tde-trinity" which installs a whole lot more packages, this 'dog' version only has the "core".

@backi, what you did!!??
Probably all very nasty name-calling posts you decided better to delete? :twisted: (no.. kidding :) )

Fred

backi

#22 Post by backi »

Hi fred !
Hit the wrong button.(Quote instead of Edit ....did not realize )
Have to start new with my setup (change folder )......after some changes with some (Window?) configuration can no longer boot to desktop after reboot . .....don`t remember exactly what i changed .Going to delete changes folder and start new .
Hope Trinity is not buggy...........cause i find it superior to Openbox/Jwm.
Highly configurable .
There is another thing i will report .
Apt2Sfs does not work in Debian Stretch .
While trying to get Audacious with Apt2Sfs got :

The following NEW packages will be installed:
audacious audacious-plugins audacious-plugins-data libasyncns0 libaudcore3
libaudgui3 libaudqt0 libaudtag2 libavcodec57 libavformat57 libavutil55
libbluray1 libbs2b0 libcddb2 libchromaprint1 libcrystalhd3 libcue1
libdouble-conversion1 libfluidsynth1 libgme0 libgsm1 libguess1 libicu57
libjack-jackd2-0 liblirc-client0 libmodplug1 libmpg123-0 libnuma1
libopenmpt0 libopus0 libpcre16-3 libpulse0 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5
libqt5gui5 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5network5 libqt5opengl5 libqt5widgets5
libsdl2-2.0-0 libshine3 libsidplayfp4 libsnappy1v5 libsndio6.1 libsoxr0
libspeex1 libssh-gcrypt-4 libswresample2 libtwolame0 libva-drm1 libva-x11-1
libva1 libvdpau1 libvpx4 libwavpack1 libwebp6 libwebpmux2 libwrap0
libx264-148 libx265-95 libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-image0 libxcb-keysyms1
libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-xinerama0 libxcb-xkb1 libxkbcommon-x11-0
libzvbi-common libzvbi0
0 upgraded, 69 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 33.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 118 MB of additional disk space will be used.
W: --force-yes is deprecated, use one of the options starting with --allow instead.
E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.
Restoring now, there were errors
Succesfully unmounted and cleaned up!
Directory /mnt/sda7/audacious has been removed.
Press any key to close . . .

Regards !

rufwoof

#23 Post by rufwoof »

For info, I believe Debian will be rolling out a point release as of 22nd July ... so quite a few updates can be expected

i.e. Stretch 9.1, Jessie 8.9 http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=649884#p649884

dancytron

#24 Post by dancytron »

I installed it and I am posting from it now.

Only thing I've noticed so far is that it didn't configure my internet automatically. I have pretty standard intel wired ethernet. I had to go to the network configuration and change from allow hotplug to auto. Then it worked.

I'll post if I notice anything else.

belham2

#25 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham2 wrote:1) I lost the conky, which now will not restart or start at all no matter what. This is weird because it was working great and clear on first boot up, and:

2) It took one of my monitors (both monitors are identical) and now the colors are smearing and fading on the non-primary monitor--they are just messed up like crazy. Before I activiated the "Global Configuration" both monitor desktops backgrounds and colors were perfect in clarity and trueness.
Hi Belham, thanks for the feedback, good to know you got wired connection automatically.

I did some experimenting with two monitors also, switching between them is fine but 2 together gave me also a disappeared conky (on one of them)
The strange colors you got, I couldn't reproduce.
Can't help I'm afraid (don't have much experience with these matters and only have a laptop and one external monitor to test with). (restarting X might help maybe?)

Fred

Hi Fred,

Darn weirdest thing this was/is. On startup, Trinity would throw my motherboard VGA and HDMI monitors (monitors are both the same Dell brand) into the configuration it wanted to, and not what I had saved things at. And when Trinity did this, both monitors looked great! But soon as I used 'MonitorConfiguration" to move the VGA where it is supposed to be, on the other side of the HDMI (opposite what Trinity did), and I hit apply---all hell broke loose. LOL, I've been staring at this thing for the past 2 hours trying to figure it out, looking at Xorg and modifying some of it Finally, in desperation, I gave up.

Then, this happened. I thought, well, I have one good monitor, let's see if Trinity handles Fred's redshiftgui. I open Synaptic, install redshiftgui, re-start/refresh the Trinity desktop, and next thing I know, both monitors are staring me in the face, absolutely pristine clean and clear as a bell---and in the order I want them. I had already prefrom "startx" like 50 times before this trying to sort out the monitors problems. LOL, what did redshiftgui do??? Not only did both monitors come alive, conky mysteriously started working again!! Though the transparency of conky is gone.

Oh well, it works now---even through many reboots already performed.

I only have 5 questions now, and was wondering if you could give me some hints (I've been looking but can't solve them---yet):

1) I deleted all desktop items, ALL, except the Trash Icon won't let me. Where is it and how can i delete it? (I put the trash applet in the Trinity System Tray as an applet shortcut, so i don't need the desktop one)

2) Do you have a faint, barely noticeable "red/green" slash line going thru your very first mounted usb drive on your desktop (whatever drives gets mounted on startup) when things first boot up? It's really nothing, but it is bugging my perfectionist mind, lol

3) Regarding the bottom system taskbar, how in heck can I adjust the clock settings the format I want? Where is it? I hunted all thru the .config files and could not find it in the Trinity Menu config folder. I wanted to add "Seconds" (%S), and also the %a and %d.

4) Playing with Trinity ability to add additional tray and dock and system bars, am i correct in realizing that Trinity does not allow you to take the "Dock Application" bar, which pops up by default on the right-side of your screen, and move it to the top of the screen? Is the only way for me to get a "Top" dockbar with applications in it is to install Wbar from Synaptic??

5) How to get Conky transparency back?? Feh doesn't seem to be working any longer. Conky background stays "black" always, no matter what I change/modify

Thanks for any hints/tips.

P.S. Can you also possibly do a favor test for me----it is something bothering me about Stretch overall. Can you install, "Dreamchess" (and its dependencies), and tell me what happens? Can you get it to run?? I need to confirm my suspicion to see if you get it running or not. Dreamchess and all its dependencies install great from Synaptic, but I cannot get it to run, at all, with any kernel that is 4.9 or above. And compiling dreamchess gave an even worse result, so....I am wondering what you encounter. Thanks!!

witekjeden

#26 Post by witekjeden »

Thank for this, i was try to compile Puppy from Q4OS but can not. But there is not any application for connect 3g modems, please implement any one into TrinityDog. PGPRS like in another Puppies? KPPP like a standard in kde-based systems? Forgotten Umtsmon?

rockedge

#27 Post by rockedge »

installed TrinityDog Stretch version on USB 8gig stick by using Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.6 and running GParted formatting the USB flash drive to ext4.
mounted the TrinityDog ISO and copied the files to the root of the USB stick. ran Grub4Dos only searching the stick. Grub4Dos found the OS and completed.
The system booted right up and started the wired network connection automatically and then I installed Palemoon browser using the install script. After just the beginning of testing it looks really good and so far everything appears to be working error free.

Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop
PNY 8 Gig Flash drive.

fredx181

#28 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:While trying to get Audacious with Apt2Sfs got :
E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.
Restoring now, there were errors
Succesfully unmounted and cleaned up!
Directory /mnt/sda7/audacious has been removed.
Press any key to close . . .
Perhaps you don't have enough space left in /mnt/sda7 ?
For me apt2sfs works OK.

@belham2
1) I deleted all desktop items, ALL, except the Trash Icon won't let me. Where is it and how can i delete it? (I put the trash applet in the Trinity System Tray as an applet shortcut, so i don't need the desktop one)
Right-click on Desktop > Configure Desktop > Behavior > tab "Device icons" and untick Trash (a lot more you can configure there)
2) Do you have a faint, barely noticeable "red/green" slash line going thru your very first mounted usb drive on your desktop (whatever drives gets mounted on startup) when things first boot up? It's really nothing, but it is bugging my perfectionist mind, lol
Yes, it shows the amount of space used, don't know if it can be configured to show without that.
3) Regarding the bottom system taskbar, how in heck can I adjust the clock settings the format I want? Where is it? I hunted all thru the .config files and could not find it in the Trinity Menu config folder. I wanted to add "Seconds" (%S), and also the %a and %d.
Right-click > Configure Clock you can configure a lot, not enough ?.
4) Playing with Trinity ability to add additional tray and dock and system bars, am i correct in realizing that Trinity does not allow you to take the "Dock Application" bar, which pops up by default on the right-side of your screen, and move it to the top of the screen? Is the only way for me to get a "Top" dockbar with applications in it is to install Wbar from Synaptic??
Yes, for me doesn't work either, nothing can be done with the 'Dock application bar'
Seems that it needs Windowmaker, see here (last post):
https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?t=23805
You can create extra normal panel, place it where you want, add shortcuts etc...
5) How to get Conky transparency back?? Feh doesn't seem to be working any longer. Conky background stays "black" always, no matter what I change/modify
Conky transparency is problematic on TDE, my workaround is startup script '~/Startup/setbackdrop' which checks if background has changed and use hsetroot for it.
Works with format .jpg but not with some others with extension .svgz (see in /opt/trinity/share/wallpapers/ e.g. "konqui" doesn't work)
Hopefully someone has a tip how to really solve conky transparency in Trinity .
Dreamchess and all its dependencies install great from Synaptic, but I cannot get it to run
Runs OK for me, first not but after installing "libgl1-mesa-dri" and restarting X it does.
Don't use "startx" to restart X, just run Logout > End current session so you get to the TDM login manager screen and type password.

TDE is very configurable, so you sometimes have to search very deep to find something and easily get lost or mess up things, that's why I use porteus-boot changes=EXIT:/... , when I mess up badly, just reboot and choose 'NoSave'.
Also this way you can type in terminal 'save2flash' to save in the middle of a session (if you are satisfied sofar)

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#29 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:Only thing I've noticed so far is that it didn't configure my internet automatically. I have pretty standard intel wired ethernet. I had to go to the network configuration and change from allow hotplug to auto. Then it worked.
You did that in /etc/network/interfaces ? and what/how you changed exactly?

Fred

belham2

#30 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
@belham2
1) Trash Icon-----Right-click on Desktop > Configure Desktop > Behavior > tab "Device icons" and untick Trash (a lot more you can configure there)

2) Red-Green slash line------Yes, it shows the amount of space used, don't know if it can be configured to show without that.

3) System taskbar clock settings

4) 'Dock application bar'-----Seems that it needs Windowmaker, see here (last post):
https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?t=23805
You can create extra normal panel, place it where you want, add shortcuts etc...

5) Conky transparency-----

6) Dreamchess---- first not but after installing "libgl1-mesa-dri" and restarting X it does.

that's why I use porteus-boot changes=EXIT:/...

Fred

Hi again Fred,

1) :oops: Ooops, major brain fart on the "trash icon" question. I completely forgot to do (right-click on desktop). I was clicking on the icon itself (like I did the others) and deleting them quickly, and then brain-farted forgetting about the desktop itself.

2) Red-Green Slash line---NICE :D Now that I know what it is, and that it is not some ghosting artifact, I love it!!!

3) system clock settings---yup, TDE GUI clock interface doesn't let you play with adding your own "custom" time settings, restricted to what they offer. Was hoping to find .config files themselves and add my settings there. But, that said, TDE does offer a lot of clock-setup-choices via its GUI, so it's not really a big deal

4) Dock Application Bar----can't figure out why TDE develops wouldn't let us move this around? Strange :? Oh well, I will try that link's suggestion (thanks), and if that doesn't work I will go the "wbar" route as it's available in Synaptic

5) Conky transparency----will try your script solution, and also maybe see if I can make Qiv work, installing it, and using Musher's trick in init startup.

6) Ok, much thanks for installing/testing dreamchess. Can I ask a question, Fred, something that always stumps me? How did you know about the "libgl1-mesa-dri"?? I mean, what I did installing Dreamchess was watch Synaptic install it, and then I assume all the dependencies Synaptic installed too (see below pic). It is a bad or wrong assumption for a user to believe that Synaptic will install dependencies when it installs the program you choose??? I always thought Synaptic took care of those problems, but I may have been under an illusion all this time :( And if Synaptic does fail about dependencies, is there some sort of script program (like in the pups) that allows you to click on an "installed program" and it will check all of the dependencies that that "installed-program" relies upon?? Is this already included in the DebianDogs and I just haven't known it??

P.S. So I setup Trinity Jessie late last night----guess what, absolutely no dual monitor problems, TDE let me make all sorts of changes, and it made them & both monitors remained clear as the sky. Also, no matter what I did, even messing with and changing Conky's settings, Conky stayed fully transparent. Lol, go figure. I think it might have more than a little to do with my systems love the battle-tested 3.16-series kernels (and even up to 4.4-series kernels), but they b!tch up a storm once I hit the 4.9-series & above kernels. Guess my old hardware is getting old just like me :roll:

P.S-2. Wanted to say "Thank you" again for these TrinityDogs. I really like the Trinity desktop, as Backi says it hogs a little bit more of RAM, but I have 8GB of ram in my systems (even if it is DDR2, lol) and so TDE runs great. To me so far, TDE is as complete as XFCE, maybe even more :shock: , and is also more configurable along with being just as easy to use. Thanks again!!
Attachments
synaptic-and-dependencies-question.png
(114.02 KiB) Downloaded 444 times

belham2

#31 Post by belham2 »

libgl1-mesa-dri followup:

Holy cra!p...... I typed "libgl1-mesa-dri" into Synaptic, Synaptic quickly brought it back, and then I chose "Mark for Installation", and Synaptic then said that additional things need to be installed (libdrm-amdgpu1, libedit2 and libllvm3.9) and the final MB sum would be:

175MB install!! :shock:

I mean, for heaven's sake, how can additional 175MB be needed just for a "Dreamchess" program to run, a program that is only 8-9MB in size? Doggone it Debian developers (not you, Fred, talking about the actual Debian developers of Debian overall)! All pups run dreamchess without this extra bloat, and besides, "libgl1-mesa-glx" is already installed in Debian so why is the "......-mesa-dri" module also needed??? Argh.....175MB is half the size of the Trinity ISO :evil:

fredx181

#32 Post by fredx181 »

Re: libgl1-mesa-dri followup:

Hi belham, quick reply for now, will reply later today on your other message.

Well, that's the consequence of such a tiny system, that big libraries are not included, e.g. Debian Live ISO (xfce=1.8 GB) probably has it included, libllvm3.9 dependency is big also.
But once installed libgl1-mesa-dri, the size of dependencies for other 3D programs such as games or e.g. blender, google-earth etc.. will be much less then.

P.S. curious how this is done in Puppy, BTW, e.g. self-compiled, different dependencies, or.. ?

Fred

backi

#33 Post by backi »

Cheers fred !
Perhaps you don't have enough space left in /mnt/sda7 ?
For me apt2sfs works OK.
That`s right .Me stupid :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regarding Trinity Desktop .........:
The more i use it ......the more i like it :D

Regards !

belham2

#34 Post by belham2 »

followup on
belham2 wrote:
6) Ok, much thanks for installing/testing dreamchess. Can I ask a question, Fred, something that always stumps me? How did you know about the "libgl1-mesa-dri"?? I mean, what I did installing Dreamchess was watch Synaptic install it, and then I assume all the dependencies Synaptic installed too (see below pic). It is a bad or wrong assumption for a user to believe that Synaptic will install dependencies when it installs the program you choose??? I always thought Synaptic took care of those problems, but I may have been under an illusion all this time :( And if Synaptic does fail about dependencies, is there some sort of script program (like in the pups) that allows you to click on an "installed program" and it will check all of the dependencies that that "installed-program" relies upon?? Is this already included in the DebianDogs and I just haven't known it??

Hi again Fred,

Another brain fart again today :cry: I forgot we can use a terminal and ldd command when looking at dependencies. But the even bigger lapse was me forgetting that there is something even better: radky's excellent GUI front-end for this, called ListDD-2.0 (he just updated it a few days ago).:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95935

Radky's 'ListDD-2.0' is a GUI for terminal 'ldd command' and it will list all dynamic dependencies of binary executables and library files. For example, I threw 'dreamchess' (from /usr/games/) into ListDD, and it presented back this (the pic below). Best thing is Radky's GUI lets you quickly click and then look at what's "complete", "unused", and "missing" via the buttons set up for each of those. I've used it in pups before, but when come to the DDogs, I always forget what I second-nature do in the pups.

Maybe ListDD ought to be included in all future versions of any type of DDog?? :) Just a thought (and if there is already a script/program of something similar that you've got inside the Trinity's and other DDogs, then plz excuse my stupidity as I'm really struggling these last 24 hours with functioning brain matter, lol).
Attachments
radkys-ListDD-2.0-excellent-ldd-command-GUI-.png
(236.2 KiB) Downloaded 721 times

dancytron

#35 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:
dancytron wrote:Only thing I've noticed so far is that it didn't configure my internet automatically. I have pretty standard intel wired ethernet. I had to go to the network configuration and change from allow hotplug to auto. Then it worked.
You did that in /etc/network/interfaces ? and what/how you changed exactly?

Fred
Sorry, should have been clearer.

I just right clicked on the network icon in the task bar, chose "setup", hit return to choose my ethernet, and then just changed it on the next page and chose accept.

belham2

Htop vs Glances

#36 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

For those of you interested in this sort of thing, with the DDogs, you have something available to you that is a little more useful, imho, than htop. It's called "Glances":
Attachments
There-is-Htop.png
(243.77 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
and-then-there-is-Glances.png
(241.8 KiB) Downloaded 676 times

belham2

#37 Post by belham2 »

Also, I know this is heresy to many in the pup-world, but I installed radky's latest PupSysInfo-2.7 in both Trinity DDogs. Don't ask why, lol. Anyhow, your mileage may vary greatly on what you get to work. I got some of it functions to work in Trinity DDogs, even though it's designed for specifically for pups. Frankenstein lives! :wink:
Attachments
radkys-latest-PupSysInfo-2.7-in-trinity.png
(240.44 KiB) Downloaded 667 times

backi

#38 Post by backi »

Hi (doc) belham !
It looks you`re quite a bit hyperactive today !
Looking for entertainment ?
Forgot your Ritalin ? :lol:

fredx181

#39 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Ok, much thanks for installing/testing dreamchess. Can I ask a question, Fred, something that always stumps me? How did you know about the "libgl1-mesa-dri"?? I mean, what I did installing Dreamchess was watch Synaptic install it, and then I assume all the dependencies Synaptic installed too (see below pic). It is a bad or wrong assumption for a user to believe that Synaptic will install dependencies when it installs the program you choose??? I always thought Synaptic took care of those problems, but I may have been under an illusion all this time Sad And if Synaptic does fail about dependencies, is there some sort of script program (like in the pups) that allows you to click on an "installed program" and it will check all of the dependencies that that "installed-program" relies upon??
After only installing dreamchess and running in terminal, I get this:

Code: Select all

root@stretch:~# dreamchess
DreamChess v0.2.1-RC2 (0203100)
ui_sdlgl.c:430: error: failed to set video mode: 640x480; 32 bpp; fullscreen off; 0x multisampling: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
I guess the developers didn't make package "libgl1-mesa-dri" a 'hard' dependency since there are more ways to setup GLX (I know very little about but I guess it depends on the graphics card, e.g. for NVIDIA it might be different, I have onboard Intel card and libgl1-mesa-dri works for me).

So... see this as one of the very few exceptions that apt-get or synaptic doesn't install all required.
4) Dock Application Bar----can't figure out why TDE develops wouldn't let us move this around? Strange Confused Oh well, I will try that link's suggestion (thanks), and if that doesn't work I will go the "wbar" route as it's available in Synaptic
Why use wbar if you can just add a extra "normal" panel and configure it exactly as you like ?
P.S. So I setup Trinity Jessie late last night----guess what, absolutely no dual monitor problems, TDE let me make all sorts of changes, and it made them & both monitors remained clear as the sky. Also, no matter what I did, even messing with and changing Conky's settings, Conky stayed fully transparent. Lol, go figure. I think it might have more than a little to do with my systems love the battle-tested 3.16-series kernels (and even up to 4.4-series kernels), but they b!tch up a storm once I hit the 4.9-series & above kernels. Guess my old hardware is getting old just like me
OK, NICE!!
My guess is that it doesn't have to do with newer or older kernel.
Maybe the TDE package repository used in TrinityDog-Stretch (Preliminary Stable Builds) is not stable enough:
From TDE website https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DebianI ... ian_9.x.29:
For Stretch (Debian 9.x), although it is already released, currently there is no official version of TDE available, although TDE runs smoothly in Stretch. If you are interested in installing TDE in a Stretch environment, you can use the preliminary packages for the next R14.0.5 release.
Please refer to the Preliminary Stable Builds page for further instructions.
Fred

fredx181

#40 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham, All,

As I said earlier that Conky transparancy is a bit problematic in Trinity.
My workaround is the script "setbackdrop" in ~/Startup which checks for changed wallpaper, but it's not ideal because it doesn't work with all wallpaper formats provided in the backgrounds list from "Configure Desktop"
Also it's a little slow with refreshing the conky transparancy.
So here's another way, but it requires compositing enabled (which uses just a little more RAM)

Here are the steps:
First move "setbackdrop" away from Startup folder

mv ~/Startup/setbackdrop ~/
Logout and back in (now the conky display is black for sure)
From Menu, go to Trinity Control Center > Desktop > Window Behavior and click the tab "Translucency"
Tick the checkbox "Enable the Trinity window composition manager"
Click 'Apply' at the bottom and close the window.
Conky window is still black, so we need to edit now the conky config:
Open ~/.conkyrc-port (if using porteus-boot) or ~/.conkyrc-live (if using live-boot) with leafpad.
Add these lines somewhere before the "TEXT" block:

own_window_argb_visual
own_window_argb_value 0
For Stretch version, find this line: "own_window_colour brown" and comment it out.
So should look like this:

# own_window_colour brown
Save ~/.conkyrc-port (or ~/.conkyrc-live)

And conky should have transparent view with any wallpaper now :)
EDIT: Colors are a bit different though (specially the 'bars')
EDIT2: Just found that setting "own_window_argb_value" to 255 will display the normal colors:

own_window_argb_value 255
Fred