Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 14:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Freetype fonts in Tahrpup64 6.0.6
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
autumnleaves

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul 2017, 10:35    Post subject:  Freetype fonts in Tahrpup64 6.0.6  

Wine will not run on the above installation due to a problem with Truetype fonts. I believe that the Freetype engine is already installed, but winecfg returns the following error message.

Quote:

Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org

Thank you for any suggestions.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul 2017, 17:13    Post subject:  

Hi autumnleaves,

Two quick questions before we try to solve the problem.

First, which Wine pet or SFS are you using?

Second, are you certain that some TTF font libraries are already present? Double-check. Unless you're using Wine-portable (which is what I do so the following is from memory) font files for wine may be located in /usr/wine/fonts. But your version of Wine may differ.

Unlike Windows, in Puppy you can unpack any package of fonts and just copy or drop them into where ever Wine expects to find them. And, of course, once you have wine functioning, if you've also have Winetricks, you can use it to obtain "corefonts" and others.

Edit: It just occurred to me that maybe WineHq has dealt with the problem before. It has. See, https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27915. Try opening Puppy Package Manager and typing "libfreetype6" in the search box. Regardless of whether or not that search reveals it's already present, allow PPM to install it. Save and Reboot.

mikesLr

P.S. You didn't by any chance install Wine via Quickpet or Puppy Package Manager? Unfortunately, doing so will install a package designed to function under Ubuntu, not Puppy. Causes no end of problems. Best uninstalled and replaced by any one of Version2013's pets or Wine-portable, both found on this SubForum.
autumnleaves

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul 2017, 20:39    Post subject:  

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I have just uninstalled Wine so I could start with a clean slate. The version installed was 2.11v3.1, as I was instructed to do in the initial thread on the subject.
Libfreetype6_2.5.2 is indeed present.
I have reinstalled Wine from the pet (not PPM) and can now locate the fonts in user/share/wine/fonts.
Now winecfg produces the Wine configuration window, as well as an error message.
Quote:

root# winecfg
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So it is partly working.

Note that when I installed 32-bit with SFS on the fly or just by clicking the SFS many files are skipped. See attached list.
autumnleaves

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul 2017, 20:40    Post subject:  

The list could not be attached.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul 2017, 10:23    Post subject:  

Hi, autumnleaves.

Ooh, boy, that's an odd one. I'm in Xenialpup at the mo; just had a look in /usr/share/wine/fonts.....and they are totally different to the ones I've got installed in /root/.wine/drive_c/Windows/Fonts.

Those were installed by choosing the 'corefonts' package via WINE-Tricks. I often skip downloading those when I'm setting up WINE in a new Pup; I just copy 'em over from one of my others.

These ones in /usr/share/wine/fonts mostly appear to have the .fon suffix. New one on me! I've got the odd .TTF file there, but I don't recognise most of them.

So; where have they come from? Are they part of the WINE package as supplied by version2013? And, more to the point, why don't they show up when I'm selecting fonts in WINE apps?

Any ideas, Mike? Can you enlighten us?

The other Mike. Wink

bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:09    Post subject:  

My first guess is the Wine development team is constantly working on and changing how Wine works.
Only they really know why Wine is this way, now or why anything in Wine changes.

If it runs a Windows program and that program works. I do not get to hung up over why it works and why Wine is now setup the way it is.

I have seen that error you get when Wine Config is run from terminal.

The point is, is it stopping Wine from working and running a Windows program?
With Puppy setup the way it is, with only what is really needed to run stuff.
That error of missing something may not matter.

In Wine Config, setup of the drives is very important to Wine being able to find everything.

Last edited by bigpup on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:21; edited 1 time in total
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:14    Post subject:  

Here is a solution to the error:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79549

Quote:
Wine now uses external 'libmpg123' for mp3 decoding. (patent issues)

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t … =libmpg123

regarding the fonts, try;

Installing 'ttf-ms-fonts' and 'ttf-tahoma'

link the installed Truetype fonts to wine;

# ln -s /usr/share/fonts/TTF /usr/share/wine/fonts

btw Wine is starting to use alot of external native nix packages now, which is a good thing. (i.e. ms fonts, decoders ect..)

In Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
Should be able to do a search for libmpg123.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul 2017, 13:07    Post subject:  

Hi autumnleaves,

My approach is somewhat heretical.

Short version: Unless your objective is to run 64-bit Windows programs, uninstall your current Wine and install either Version2013’ wine-1.8.2-i486_v2.1.pet*, which you can get here, http://lilfile.com/Kb4ys0 or “use” Version2013’s wine-portable-1.6.2-2-precise.tar.gz available here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91748 with instructions on how to deploy it.

As I previously mentioned, I run Wine-portable. Since I explore/test various Puppies and DebianDogs, one portable version which I can connect to any of them with one click makes more sense than constantly having to install wine when I’m exploring a new Pup/Dog or decide to use it as my default OS. And being External, I don’t have to worry about running out of space. Version2013’s wine-portable-1.6.2-2-precise.tar.gz was the one I used for a couple of years, chosen because it had Winetricks built in. If a program could run under wine at all, it ran under it. Last year I decided to Update the wine version utilized in wine-portable, and chose Version2013’s wine-1.8.2-i486_v2.1.pet* to use in doing so. See, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106935&sid=45905e2afc2648dd01b3a3a46dd8abca. Again, it included Winetricks, and again I haven’t had any problem running any program which will run under wine. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Smile

I should also tell you that I never had a problem with wine-1.4 installed before I started using portables.

Frankly, I know that the common wisdom is to run the latest version of Wine. And I must admit that my evaluation of Wine 2 may be biased by the fact that to use it, I’d have to put in at least the same amount of work I did in updating to Wine 1.8. So I’m not going to give Wine 2 the benefit of the doubt until I’m certain all the smoke has cleared.

You may not know of the Peter’s Principle. It’s probably not taught in courses on business. It was published in the ‘radical ‘60s’ probably, partly ‘tongue in cheek’. But it’s also probably true and came out of Peter’s realization that after England ceased to be the dominant world naval power maintaining the largest fleet of ships, the number of people employed by the British Admiralty grew. The principle: Work expands to occupy the time of the number of people available. Peter’s corollary: Organizations grow because the more people you have the more supervisors you need, who then need more people to supervise. Not sure if this corollary is his or mine: Organizations will find a reason for their continued existence when the original reason for their existence ceases to exist.

When Wine and the institution which supports it came into existence there was a compelling need for it. Thousand of solid and specialized applications existed if you ran XP. By comparison, the applications for Linux were few, primitive –and because of Linux is open-source spawning many variations-- fractured. Today, applications under Linux are often as good, sometimes better, than those which run under Windows; and if you stick to OSes that are ‘Ubuntu compatible’, available**. Of the programs created for XP, few were created to run under 64-bit operating systems. AFAIK, one of the motivations for Microsoft’s creation of Window 7 (and its successors) was the limitation of XP structure in handling 64-bit hardware and software. Windows 7 has a significantly different structure than Windows XP. Many XP programs will not run under Window 7 (or later) except in ‘Compatibility mode’. Compatibility mode is Microsoft-speak for ‘virtualware’ – that is having one system run software which creates the environment needed by programs designed to run under a different environment.

Wine 2’s objective is to be able to run both 32 and 64 bit programs. As there are few 64-bit XP programs, creating an application to run those under Linux seems like a lot of work for little reward. So perhaps their ultimate goal is to enable the running of applications built for the Window 7 (and successors). I don’t know if it can. If that’s the objective, than what Wine 2 has to do is emulate both the XP 32 environment and the Window 7 64-bit environment (and maybe the XP 64-bit environment and maybe also the Window 7 32-bit environment). If you want something to fail, add as much complexity as possible.

Maybe Wine 2 can run 64-bit Windows programs on a 64-bit Linux operating system on its own. But to run 32-bit Windows programs on a 64-bit Linux operating system, you also have to load into that system the 32-bit Linux operating system (the 32-bit compatibility sfs). So what you end up with is part of one operating system (the Linux 64) running a second operating system (the 32-bit compatibility SFS) in order to run a third operating system (wine 2) whose structure has been made sufficiently complex that in theory it will be able to emulate 2 to 4 other operating systems. Google 'Rube Goldberg Machine'. Laughing

As I said, I’m going to wait until the smoke clears.

mikesLr

* Why 1.8 rather than 1.9 – Even numbers are used by WineHq for ‘stable” releases; Odd for testing. 1.9 may have improvements capable of running more programs under more hardware. On the other hand, it may have bugs which will only show up after many programs have been run on many computers, Add that by the time 1.9 was published, many of the ‘best’ developers may have been focused on 2.

** Of the 32Gb of hard-drive occupied by XP programs, most were installed out of curiosity. There’s only one I actually need: InfoCentral which holds 20 years of notes, run under XP but can’t be run under Windows 7. A second, Avidemux, I run occasionally even though there are Linux versions as good. For my purposes, it just doesn’t make sense to have to install it many times. And a version of the Koran for when I want to find out what ‘the other civilization’ actually teaches as guiding principals. Don’t know if there is a Linux equivalent. Last year, I even did my Taxes using Linux applications.

Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 14:50; edited 4 times in total
musher0

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul 2017, 13:14    Post subject:  

Hello all.

AFAIK, TTF fonts remain the same regardless of the OS. TTF is an
independent standard respected by computer font "foundries", such
as the ones listed here

Perhaps you'll find this article interesting.

You should be able to symlink the fonts in your Puppy from
/usr/share/fonts/default/TTF to wherever the Wine fonts directory is and
vice versa, and use any font without a glitch whether you are running
an app through Wine or in Puppy proper.

IHTH.

« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
version2013

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul 2017, 13:47    Post subject:  

autumnleaves wrote:

Now winecfg produces the Wine configuration window, as well as an error message.
Quote:

root# winecfg
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So it is partly working.

(reference post)

In this post, a bit further down is displayed more info. for tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE.

I list other packages I installed (dependencies) before compiling.
One such package is 'mpg123-1.12.4.pet'
Installing that will eliminate the error you are getting.

If the windows application you are using does not require the functionality that package provides, then you do not need to install it.
autumnleaves

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul 2017, 23:16    Post subject:  

I do appreciate everyone's input and suggestions, and will try to work with the ideas you have provided to come up with a solution. Given that the behaviour of most things Puppy is rarely in line with expectation, and it is unlikely I shall need 64 bit apps, I shall give serious consideration to reverting to an earlier portable version of Wine too.

For the moment, here are a few immediate observations:
1. Installing either mpg123-1.12.4.pet or libmpg123 does not resolve the error message.
2. winecfg does run, however, and I am able to install a simple Windows application.
3. I was able to install and mscore font but this might be a set of fonts for musescore (if it is not MS core fonts). In any case, the command ln -s /usr/share/fonts/TTF /usr/share/wine/fonts produces an error "ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘usr/share/wine/fonts’: No such file or directory". Nevertheless, the directory usr/share/wine/fonts does exist and it contains tahoma.ttf, among other fonts.

Much obliged again for your assistance.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to: