Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 13:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Look and Feel
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 7 [93 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 17:20    Post subject:  Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Look and Feel  

Just thought I'd like to start the ball rolling by giving you guys a brief vision of the new Community Edition. Nothing is set in stone. It's just my way of whetting your appetites for what may come. Razz

Enjoy!

Last edited by WhoDo on Fri 02 Mar 2007, 18:25; edited 5 times in total
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 19:02    Post subject:  

Nice icons. Nice wallpaper. The IceWM theme isn't coherent enough for my tastes. The XMMS theme is incredible.

More on the IceWM theme: The problem is that it uses a bunch of nice gradients, but it doesn't look good. Making a theme is no easy matter, and IceWM is especially annoying when it comes to making the buttons look nice. But I'd rather see a more plain theme that looks decent than a fancy one that doesn't. A fancy one that does would be best, of course.

Also, I've noticed that big gradients (IE through the entire start menu, not for each item) sometimes slow things down. Just something to think about.

In terms of a Puppy CE, I'd much rather it didn't try to mimic Vista. I have no problem with other derivatives doing it, or including such a theme, but the CE Puppies are supposed to be more official, and it doesn't seem like a very moral thing to do (not that other businesses would hesitate, but we aren't MS).

Besides, abandoning the mimic mindset brings more variety.

Overall though, I like the idea. Just not the Vista-esque stuff, or the tackyness (that's the word I was looking for earlier) of the theme. Those are personal opinions though, and of course, the screen shot is just a concept. So that's a thumbs up from me, so long as it doesn't hurt the size.

trapster

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 19:08    Post subject:  

DroooooooooooL
Cool

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Puppeee4.31 + 1.0, Puppy4.10 + Lupu52
Currently using Slacko AND lupu52 w/ fluxbox
Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 19:40    Post subject:  

That is a freeking beautiful xmms skin, where can I get it?

Nathan

WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 23:34    Post subject:  

Nathan F wrote:
That is a freeking beautiful xmms skin, where can I get it?

Just for you and Pizzasgood, I have attached the subject XMMS skin and another just like it in dark blue.

Enjoy! Very Happy
Almond-dark-blue.wsz.gz
Description  Almond dark blue xmms skin
gz

Download 
Filename  Almond-dark-blue.wsz.gz 
Filesize  126.3 KB 
Downloaded  768 Time(s) 
Almond-dark-orange.wsz.gz
Description  Almond dark orange xmms skin
gz

Download 
Filename  Almond-dark-orange.wsz.gz 
Filesize  135.12 KB 
Downloaded  726 Time(s) 
WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 23:45    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
Nice icons. Nice wallpaper. The IceWM theme isn't coherent enough for my tastes. The XMMS theme is incredible.

I'm hearin' ya, mate. Why did I do a Vista-esque version? Because I could, that's why! Very Happy I even toyed with displaying window shadows and all the other eye candy, but thought better of it.

I wanted to get away from the blue that so many distros use these days. It's part of the vision to capture interest from the first boot. If you want to make a suggestion for an alternate theme, grab the new Icewm themepak that I just uploaded as soon as MU has it mirrored. Then make a suggestion from that.

I've pretty much determined to stick with Icewm on the score of reliability. I'm hoping that rarsa's XDG menu's will mature in time for the CE release, too. I might even have to get down and dirty with Tcl/tk to try and create some graphical utilities to make it easier to modify Icewm settings like whether the taskbar is at the top or bottom of the screen, etc.

That said, so far it's all been ME fooling around, so I'm glad to finally get some constructive suggestions from those who've already done the hard yards with a remaster.

Cheers (see present above) Cool
WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 23:48    Post subject:  

trapster wrote:
DroooooooooooL
Cool

Is it raining around here? Things got very, very wet all of a sudden! Laughing
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 00:19    Post subject:  

you can drag the Icewm taskbar to the top or bottom of the screen with the left mouse button
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 00:21    Post subject:  

GuestToo wrote:
you can drag the Icewm taskbar to the top or bottom of the screen with the left mouse button

I'm still using MU's Icewm-Ultra version and that feature doesn't seem to be available. Can I load the latest version over the top of that?

Cheers
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 00:42    Post subject:  

i'm using Icewm 1.2.29 and i can drag the Icewm taskbar with the mouse ... the latest version is Icewm 1.2.30 ... my dotpup package is 1.2.28

Icewm is simple and robust ... you can probably copy the latest version over the Icewm executable, and it would probably work properly

i've been intending to update the Icewm package, it's easy to do, but to do it right requires attention to all the details, which all takes time ... updating the preferences file if necessary (comparing the new default preferences file to the older one), making sure that the configuration options are not changed ... making sure Icewm still recognizes the start button icons ... etc etc etc

there are other packages that also need updating ... i'm running the latest Privoxy and Tor, but my dotpup packages are still older versions, and need to be updated
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 01:47    Post subject:  

i compiled and uploaded the latest version, Icewm 1.2.30: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15292

in case you want to try it ... it should (might) work without any major problems, to install it over an older version of Icewm

the start-menu buttons in your themes may need to be renamed to start.xpm

right click the taskbar and click About to see what version of Icewm you have installed
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 02:37    Post subject:  

GuestToo wrote:
i compiled and uploaded the latest version, Icewm 1.2.30: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15292

in case you want to try it ... it should (might) work without any major problems, to install it over an older version of Icewm

the start-menu buttons in your themes may need to be renamed to start.xpm

right click the taskbar and click About to see what version of Icewm you have installed

Thanks, G2. That worked without a hassle. I took the trouble of creating symlinks from icewm.xpm and linux.xpm to start.xpm in all my updated Icewm themes, just to avoid that sort of problem after ecomoney reported it in another thread. Idea

That is soooo cool Cool Thanks for taking the trouble to compile that newer version. I'm adding it to both my CE experimental and my working 2.13 Frugal install. Thanks again.

Cheers
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 03:07    Post subject:  

by the way, if you disable killing X by pressing ctrl+alt+del, for example, by putting:

Option "DontZap" "true"

in the Section "ServerFlags" of xorg.conf, when you press ctrl+alt+del, a window pops up with Reboot, Restart, Shutdown, and LockScreen buttons

you can enable switching desktops by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, but i find that feature annoying
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 03:25    Post subject:  

GuestToo wrote:
by the way, if you disable killing X by pressing ctrl+alt+del, for example, by putting:

Option "DontZap" "true"

in the Section "ServerFlags" of xorg.conf, when you press ctrl+alt+del, a window pops up with Reboot, Restart, Shutdown, and LockScreen buttons

Likewise, that one is straight into the CE version, too! Just makes it so easy for someone coming to Puppy from another environment. Thank you, G2! Wink

GuestToo wrote:

you can enable switching desktops by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, but i find that feature annoying

Actually, for the same reason of being newbie-friendly, I agree. That would throw them for a loop if they did it by accident! Smile

Cheers
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 22:06    Post subject:  

Cool. I'll probably add those (ctr-alt-del, new ice, and theme) to Pizzapup on Sunday before I upload it. I won't be able to skip the rc release this way, but it's worth it.

I don't know about in 2.14, but the old XDG setup I've been using in Pizzapup is pretty nice. From what I hear, the new version will be even better, and more integrated.

EDIT: changed my mind, I'll stick with the IceWM I have, because I've tested it since... I don't know, a long time ago Smile

Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sun 11 Feb 2007, 20:43; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 7 [93 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: