TrinityDog - Jessie & Stretch

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#81 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
EDIT: @backi, can you report if Ceni works well for you to get a wireless connection?
Any reason that you'd prefer frisbee or WICD, is it the different GUI interface or... ?
Ceni works well for me .
Once after starting a new session (Testing) switching to user puppy and back to user root .....i THOUGHT i did lost internet connection and could not reconnect again ....just a moment ago ...i tested this again but encountered no problem.So maybe a perception Problem.

Another case where Ceni did not automatically connect to wlan was ,when i booted my notebook and did forget to turn on my Wlan-Rooter......turning it on after booting did not let me (automatically and manually) reconnect again . ( maybe to dumb )had to restart again. So i thought about installing Frisbee again .Frisbee does look better and is easier to configure for me ( cause i am accustomed to it). Yes it is the different GUI interface .
But so far have no problems with Ceni .

Regards !

belham2

#82 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
Maybe you like to share (later) a "TrinityDog-Extreme" (or whatever name :) ISO ? with all your creativity and extra misc. puppy stuff inside, not kidding.., serious, then I'll add info and link in first post, what do you think?

Fred

Hi Fred,

Ok, I'll stop posting about my experiments. Probably a very wise thing, as it would make people think there are no worries when grafting transplants into & onto the TrinityDogs. Just makes a headache for them if it doesn't work and they don't understand why, and even worse, they could come on here constantly asking & b!tching about it -------which is not a good use of your time & such, and definitely was never intended by you. People should "mod" Trinity at their own risk.

Besides, as I had said previously, you put together the DDogs so well that things I do would just be creating problems----like the ones I am currently getting in my grafting of some of Radky's & Mochi's latest creations into Trinity-Jessie this morning just to see what would happen. :twisted:

P.S. Also wanted to say, like backi, ceni worked on my netbook no problems....finding the wireless---and this is that netbook-laptop that stumps 70-80% of pups & other creations (including my own) when it comes to finding it's wireless. So, I'd leave ceni in and as is, and not even think about frisbee.

belham2

#83 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred, Backi & all,

I installed, via Synaptic, "Roxterm" terminal so as to have a 2nd terminal to the Trinity-included Konsole. But after installation of Roxterm, I am constantly getting this opening size of the Roxterm window---no matter what I set the roxterm-configuration default & profile to.

It's almost like Trinity gets the height and width mixed up when rendering/opening Roxterm. Here's what I am getting (below is a pic). Can anybody else check this? Wondering if this is a 'baked' in problem with Trinity and/or Roxterm, and thus unfixable, or if it is my old computer systems and/or bad OS installs on both my Jessie & Stretch Trinities.

Thanks.
Attachments
synaptic-installed-roxterm-weird-sizing-is-locked-in.png
(221.9 KiB) Downloaded 488 times

fredx181

#84 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:I installed, via Synaptic, "Roxterm" terminal so as to have a 2nd terminal to the Trinity-included Konsole. But after installation of Roxterm, I am constantly getting this opening size of the Roxterm window---no matter what I set the roxterm-configuration default & profile to.
Yes, same for me, very weird, at start of roxterm it resizes from the bigger lenght (I configured in the settings) to the same small size displayed on your screenshot.
I have this problem only with roxterm-gtk3, roxterm-gtk2 works OK for me.

Code: Select all

apt-get install roxterm-gtk2
Btw, roxterm doesn't exist in the repository for Stretch, maybe because of this :?:

EDIT:
Thanks backi and belham for testing Ceni, btw.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 24 Jul 2017, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#85 Post by backi »

Hi everybody !
Don`t know if it really matters :
https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170722

fredx181

#86 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham, backi,
belham2 wrote:Ok, I'll stop posting about my experiments. Probably a very wise thing, as it would make people think there are no worries when grafting transplants into & onto the TrinityDogs. Just makes a headache for them if it doesn't work and they don't understand why, and even worse, they could come on here constantly asking & b!tching about it -------which is not a good use of your time & such, and definitely was never intended by you. People should "mod" Trinity at their own risk.
It may look like it's not, but I do like more "puppy influence" in the Dogs, e.g. what we did for peasyfirewall monitor in the Xenialdog thread, I think it's nice to have more "must have" Puppy programs.
For example I did experiment earlier with pupsysinfo (as you also recently did) to adapt it but gave up early because half of it didn't work (a whole lot of work to adapt properly).
However I do prefer "substance" in the form of deb packages (so it's easy to install/uninstall), I think it's OK if you post about your experiments and, as I said before, most of your posts are useful and fun to read :).

@backi
Hi everybody !
Don`t know if it really matters :
https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170722
That just means that there are more than a few upgrades available .
Please note that the point release does not constitute a new version of Debian 9 but only updates some of the packages included. There is no need to throw away old "stretch" media. After installation, packages can be upgraded to the current versions using an up-to-date Debian mirror.
Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 24 Jul 2017, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#87 Post by mikeslr »

Hi belham2,

Agree with fred. Your post are useful and fun.

mikesLr

r3muxd

Is there a 64-bit version of TrinityDog?

#88 Post by r3muxd »

I like TrinityDog, but can there please be a 64-bit version? (So I can install Chrome and stuff). I would just install Trinity on debiandog 64-bit, but that's no longer maintained.

backi

#89 Post by backi »

Hi !
Fred wrote :
It may look like it's not, but I do like more "puppy influence" in the Dogs, e.g. what we did for peasyfirewall monitor in the Xenialdog thread, I think it's nice to have more "must have" Puppy programs.
Why not ?....if it works
This is a good idea IMHO . It could maybe even alleviate the worries of Puppy Linux purists and soothe their claims about the " Dogs " are not "real" Puppies enough .
I also do miss some apps/tools from Puppy Linux.Some i have in my "Dogs " .... can`t miss them ..

Give you some examples :
Uextract-extract - "extract almost everything (Does work in Dogs)

easypackage-(EasyPackage is a cli tool for combining PETs into a PET or SFS (does not work in Dogs.)

edit sfs -gui to edit sfs files (works in Dogs)

PETS2SFSGUI-This is a tool to combine/convert several pets into one sfs file, which you can use with any puppy in your system without installing again your favorite pets one by one for each puppy. (works in Dogs )

CombineSfs (Combine-Sfs does not work in Dogs ) very sorry :cry: :cry:

Extract-folder-of-debs (works in Dogs),

LazY-FBI,( the (F)antastic (B)atch-Mode Pet-(I)nstaller makes you able to install all files from a directory into your puppy.All you have to do, is: do a right-click on a directory containing .pet, .deb, .tar.gz, .tgz, .txz and tar.bz2 files.)Does work in Dogs ...installed in my-roxapps .

PaDs (PaDS 1.0.4 ---> convert and merge (P)ET (a)nd (D)EB into a single (S)FS
works in Dogs .

Links:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80850
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81511
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65400
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64215
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64215
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26097
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47469

fredx181

#90 Post by fredx181 »

@r3muxd
I like TrinityDog, but can there please be a 64-bit version? (So I can install Chrome and stuff). I would just install Trinity on debiandog 64-bit, but that's no longer maintained.
Sorry, no plans for a 64-bit version in the near future.

@backi
backi wrote:Fred wrote :
Quote:

Why not ?....if it works
This is a good idea IMHO
Thanks backi!! that looks like a useful list.
These days I'm busy with other (real life) things, but I will get back about it more in detail later this week, for sure.

Fred

backi

#91 Post by backi »

Hi Fred everybody !
I just now recognized that some of the Tools i mentioned above are already in the right click Menu of the Dogs...o.k....fine :::::::did not recognized them earlier .

belham2

#92 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred everybody !
I just now recognized that some of the Tools i mentioned above are already in the right click Menu of the Dogs...o.k....fine :::::::did not recognized them earlier .
I was gonna say something, backi, but I was fearful you'd think I was off my meds again :wink:

backi

#93 Post by backi »

Hi belham
So maybe you could help me out with some of your meds. :lol:
Regards !

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is PeasyWiFi for TrinityDog-Jessie and Stretch. Remove the fake .gz extension.

Reboot after installing to activate the tray icon.

PWF uses Busybox udhcpc so there is no dependency on dhcpcd.

[Edit] Attachment removed. See below for a new download location.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#95 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is PeasyWiFi for TrinityDog-Jessie and Stretch. Remove the fake .gz extension.
Thanks !
I'll test and report back later.

Fred

fredx181

#96 Post by fredx181 »

Hi rcrsn51,

Tested your peasywifi deb and works nicely !
For anyone else testing it: recommended to first click the 'Help' button and read carefully!

Modified a little the postinst and postrm scripts.
How you made it works, but in case the user removes the frisbee or dhcpcd5 package, the peasywifi install would break (because of e.g. symlink /etc/init.d/frisbee)
Also added to DEBIAN/control file the dependencies required.

New deb (https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i ... 0_i386.deb) added to the repository, so can be installed with Synaptic or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install peasywifi # reboot required to apply
Just one issue I had:
After boot wired connection is auto connected, set up profile for wlan0, connect, green message comes "connected to wireless".
Then it looks like both wired and wireless are connected, but when I unplug the ethernet cable, I expected to be still connected to wireless, but it's not really, don't have internet connection.
Reconnect doesn't help, a reboot does though (had set it to autoconnect wireless profile).
Not a real problem for me btw.

Thanks again,

EDIT: For who installed already the deb provided by rcrsn51 (attachment in earlier post from rcrsn51) I'd recommend to first uninstall it before you install the new, so:

apt-get purge peasywifi # uninstall first
apt-get update
apt-get install peasywifi # reboot required to apply
Fred

rcrsn51

#97 Post by rcrsn51 »

fredx181 wrote:After boot wired connection is auto connected, set up profile for wlan0, connect, green message comes "connected to wireless".
Then it looks like both wired and wireless are connected, but when I unplug the ethernet cable, I expected to be still connected to wireless, but it's not really, don't have internet connection. Reconnect doesn't help, a reboot does though (had set it to autoconnect wireless profile).
That definitely should work - I do it all the time.

After booting, click the Status and Info buttons to see what is really connected. Is your WiFi actually live? Does it have a valid IP and not a bogus "169.254.x.x"? Is the DNS correct?

Unplugging eth0 should have NO effect on wlan0, as far as PWF is concerned.

BTW, I used the same setup procedure with DD-Stretch but replaced /etc/init.d/network.sh and booted with net.ifnames=0.

fredx181

#98 Post by fredx181 »

I tried now booting with cable plugged in and auto connect wifi.
Still the same, no real connection after unplugging the cable, conky shows connected to wlan0 though but I suspect it isn't properly connecting to wlan in the first place.
When I restart computer without having the cable plugged, I do have working wireless internet connection

See screenshot for status, hope it's enough info.

I had been earlier experimented with udhcpc and had the same problem and thought is was only capable connecting to one or the other (not both wired and wireless)
Using dhcpcd I never had this problem of connecting both at the same time.

Fred
Attachments
wifi-status-trinitydog-stretch.png
wireless status info
(160.39 KiB) Downloaded 382 times

rcrsn51

#99 Post by rcrsn51 »

fredx181 wrote:but I suspect it isn't properly connecting to wlan in the first place.
That's easy to check - take eth0 down. Check the routing info. Is there still a valid gateway to your router?

Udhcpc can definitely support multiple interfaces up at the same time. But it may have trouble if those interfaces are connecting to the same router - one wired and one wireless.

rcrsn51

#100 Post by rcrsn51 »

I think that I know what's happening.

1. I boot up and auto-connect eth0.
2. I connect wlan0 to the same router.
3. Internet works.
4. I take the eth0 interface down.
5. Internet still works.
6. I check the routing info. Wlan0 is now running things.

I repeat steps 1-3.
At step 4, I just unplug eth0.
Now internet fails because the routing table still thinks that eth0 is active.

I suspect that dhcpcd works for you because its daemon detects when the eth0 connection drops and automatically takes the interface down. Udhcpc doesn't do that.

------------------------

FWIW, I am running these dogs on an ISObooter flash drive with this menu:

title DebianDog-Stretch-openbox_xfce-jwm-2016-11-14
partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 (hd0,0)/DebianDog-Stretch-openbox_xfce-jwm-2016-11-14.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 (hd0,0)/DebianDog-Stretch-openbox_xfce-jwm-2016-11-14.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 edd=off noauto net.ifnames=0 from=/ changes=/mnt/sdb2/dd-stretch/
initrd /live/initrd1.xz
Sdb2 is a second partition on the flash drive formatted as unjournaled ext4. It is almost as fast as a hard drive.