DD (openbox)/XenialDog General Discussion Thread

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#141 Post by saintless »

Someone started a thread all DD projects to be moved in off-topic section. My opinion is there.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110998
Ignore is not a good idea if you like to keep some development in this forum active.

Toni

fredx181

#142 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William,
fredx181 wrote:Good to see you showing more of a "real William" (" Aguirre,The Wrath of God ", indeed very humorous backi!), without putting on any peacemaker-gloves or whatever.
Gotta take half of that back.
Seeing you without the peacemaker-attitude was indeed sort of "refreshing" but shouldn't have called it "good to see", it wasn't, because I believe the real William is a peaceful man.

Take it easy!

Fred

backi

#143 Post by backi »

Using D-D Stretch as my daily driver.......despite the rumours about Debian Stretch-Stable being not that stable (fact or fiction ?) did not encounter any problem until now .

Has anyone found some......and if ...which ?
Reports are welcome .

fredx181

#144 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Using D-D Stretch as my daily driver.......despite the rumours about Debian Stretch-Stable being not that stable (fact or fiction ?) did not encounter any problem until now .

Reports are welcome .
The only small issue I had sofar, but only sometimes, is that a window doesn't close, specially splash screen seems to stick sometimes e.g. after using filemnt (mounting/unmounting iso or squashfs) the message should disappear after a few seconds, not a real problem, it disappears directly at the moment I open any other window... I use mostly openbox/xfce, don't know if this happens also when running JWM.
For the rest it works OK for me, it's a little heavier than Jessie though.

Fred

dancytron

#145 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:
backi wrote:Using D-D Stretch as my daily driver.......despite the rumours about Debian Stretch-Stable being not that stable (fact or fiction ?) did not encounter any problem until now .

Reports are welcome .
The only small issue I had sofar, but only sometimes, is that a window doesn't close, specially splash screen seems to stick sometimes e.g. after using filemnt (mounting/unmounting iso or squashfs) the message should disappear after a few seconds, not a real problem, it disappears directly at the moment I open any other window... I use mostly openbox/xfce, don't know if this happens also when running JWM.
For the rest it works OK for me, it's a little heavier than Jessie though.

Fred
I just downloaded your modification of the Stretch 64 that I did. Posting from it now.

I see you turned the select on hover back on. How does that not drive you crazy? :)

Do you see this as being the released version for at least a couple of months or do you see yourself issuing another ISO fairly soon? The reason I ask is that I think I'll probably do a Chrome version for this ISO too but I don't want to do it and then have another ISO come out a couple of weeks later.
Last edited by dancytron on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#146 Post by dancytron »

deleted b/c quoted when meant to edit

backi

#147 Post by backi »

Hi dancytron !
Am a bit confused
I see you turned the select on hover back on.
What does it mean.....where to find ?

zagreb999

LZ4 LATEST VERSION IN QUICK REMASTER

#148 Post by zagreb999 »

LZ4 LATEST VERSION IN QUICK REMASTER
Regards rufwoof!

CAN YOU,PLEASE, ADD
LZ4 LATEST VERSION IN QUICK REMASTER?

THANKS

fredx181

#149 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:I just downloaded your modification of the Stretch 64 that I did. Posting from it now.

I see you turned the select on hover back on. How does that not drive you crazy? Smile.
I'm used to that, turn it off again then, but how does that not drive you crazy? :)
Yes, forgot to mention, thought you might have turned it off accidentally.
Do you see this as being the released version for at least a couple of months or do you see yourself issuing another ISO fairly soon? The reason I ask is that I think I'll probably do a Chrome version for this ISO too but I don't want to do it and then have another ISO come out a couple of weeks later.
I have no plans for it in the near future, so go ahead!

@backi,
It's about the delay an item gets selected when hovering the mouse in filemanager, (see pic, this is setting for Thunar, PcmanFM has similar setting)

Fred
Attachments
single-click delay-selection.png
(12.38 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

fredx181

Re: LZ4 LATEST VERSION IN QUICK REMASTER

#150 Post by fredx181 »

zagreb999 wrote: CAN YOU,PLEASE, ADD
LZ4 LATEST VERSION IN QUICK REMASTER?
Hi zagreb, you mentioned that earlier, I'd like to but I have no idea how, do you?
"mksquashfs --help" shows just this for lz4 :

Code: Select all

lz4
	  -Xhc
		Compress using LZ4 High Compression
EDIT: For more clarity: Assuming you mean the LZ4 fast 8 (v1.7.3) as you talked about earlier?
https://github.com/lz4/lz4 (see benchmarks)
Maybe one day the squashfs-tools maintainers will implement that, I don't know anything about it.

Fred

backi

#151 Post by backi »

Hi !
Using D-D Stretch .Seems Suspend is not working ??
Just want to report .
Not a big deal..... installed acpitools ...made a executable script :

#!/bin/sh
acpitool -s

Problem solved .
Regards !

fredx181

#152 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi !
Using D-D Stretch .Seems Suspend is not working ??
Just want to report .
Not a big deal..... installed acpitools ...made a executable script :

#!/bin/sh
acpitool -s

Problem solved .
Regards !
Hi backi, that's strange, suspend works OK for me on Stretch, any error message ? when you type in terminal:

Code: Select all

pm-suspend
Fred

puppytahruser

re

#153 Post by puppytahruser »

Yap suspend also worked for me... no issue.. :)

backi

#154 Post by backi »

Hi fred !
Edit :
Strange .......now it works again !

wiak

#155 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Hi All,

Here's what I've been working on for a Stretch 32 and 64 bit version:
This a fork of DebianDog.
- The 32-bit version is build from scratch from a full install using netinstall ISO
- The 64-bit version is almost identical to what dancytron shared here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 812#958812
Surprised no-one has started a separate Debian Dog Stretch thread yet. Thought you might find some useful info here, or use this to build an alternative Openbox-based Debian Stretch:

https://github.com/matthewhartman/debian-setup

On the same guys github you can find a good web-development system.

I'm using Arch with Openbox as my preferred main system, since I'm not so familiar with Debian and I find Arch a bit lighter (though maybe cos I don't know my way around Debian configuration). I have though recently tried out DD Xenialdog, and I like it.

wiak

fredx181

#156 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Dancytron,

Don't know if you still plan to make a chrome-stretch64 version.
But anyway some info and tips:
- I upgraded some packages in the Stretchdog64 custom repository, e.g. gsu, quick-remaster (the GUI has checkbox now for to create ISO and there's Menu > System > 'Make ISO from frugal install') and added a few packages e.g. txt2svg (by vovchik), ng-firewall (by 01micko?), peasyfwmon (by rcrsn51) and some more (to sync a little with 32-bit Stretchdog repo).
- To keep the size of the ISO smaller you can remove the contents of /usr/share/locale/ (I can make separate locale squashfs later).

I will probably open a new thread for Stretchdog later, at the moment I'm working on a Stretch version with the Trinity Desktop (will open new thread for that probably very soon).

Fred

dancytron

#157 Post by dancytron »

I do still plan on making Chrome remaster, but it will be a couple of weeks until I get around to it.

I did see the upgrades come through and saw the new option in the quick remaster (although I didn't try it).

I've had Chrome freeze a few times, but I think it is a bad website/Chrome problem as far as I can tell.

belham2

#158 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:....

I will probably open a new thread for Stretchdog later, at the moment I'm working on a Stretch version with the Trinity Desktop (will open new thread for that probably very soon).

Fred

ooooh, you tease!!! 8) :wink:

Can't wait :D

rcrsn51

#159 Post by rcrsn51 »

Was there ever a devx posted for DD-Stretch?

mikeslr

#160 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rcrsn51,

I'm happy that you've taken an interest in "The Debian Dogs". I'm sure they will benefit from the experience and technical expertise you brought and applied to Puppies.

But I suspect that as mere 'passengers', such as myself, have a learning curve figuring out how to best make use of the tools included in 'the Dogs', there may be some adjustments for those who can create applications.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, 'the Dogs' don't have devxs. Rather, I think, using either apt or synaptic, you'd have to install the same applications that you would install if you were trying to create under a "Full Install" Ubuntu or debian; or use the Apt2SFS tool to create an SFS of those applications rather than install them.

mikesLr