Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

#41 Post by wiak »

Success...

Have chroot debian-stretch running from Slacko64 after using debootstrap to make it.

I previously fetched the Jessie stable debootstrap deb package and extracted that and put the main debootstrap script in /usr/sbin and the folder debootstrap into /usr/share (that /usr/share/debootstrap folder contains amongst other things a set of 'functions' used by debootstrap script and also a set of 'scripts' per distribution - i.e. one of these being called 'stretch').

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111222

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 03:22, edited 2 times in total.

AndresC2

#42 Post by AndresC2 »

Hello fred! :shock: 8)

Very Cool Script! :D

by the way with aufs-back this will work?

umount /lib/live/mount/overlay
mount -t tmpfs -o "remount,size=90%" tmpfs /lib/live/mount/overlay

mi dell have 512mb of ram
but I have only 256mb in ram in stretch in live mode, is possible more ram with some command?

I did my stretch-minimal in /root is very fast build in ram but you have add minimal apps like links2 midnightcommander ifupdown etc... only 85mb my filesystem.squashfs. :D

xserver-xorg-video-vesa run ugly is possible install puppy/tinycore Xvesa in stretch?

Thanks Fred! :D

wiak

#43 Post by wiak »

I've attached a dotpet of debootstrap from DebianJessie to my above post (as linked below). It's the version of DebianJessieStable-provided debootstrap I used in creating a debian stretch system on my Slacko64 6.3.2 system, but debootstrap is just a script (from Debian) so should work on most Puppies.

Note this is not Fred's mklive-stretch script, which adds a lot on top of debootstrap-created debian system in order to make it into a DebianDog. However, the provided debootstrap pet from Debian Jessie is all you need if you simply want to play with Debian installation yourself on your Puppy system as per my instructions here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111222

Of course, Fred's mklive-stretch script could be modified per my previous suggestions such that it could also run from most any official (or unofficial) Pup per this example of me using debootstrap from Debian on a Pup system.

wiak

fredx181

#44 Post by fredx181 »

@wiak

Great that you accomplished to make it work in puppy !
Need to get a bit more than that since debootstrap sources from a set of functions called 'functions' that it needs to operate.
Yes, sorry, I see you found already in usr/share/debootstrap, but why use the Jessie (extracted deb and not the one from Stretch? (maybe makes no difference, just curious)

Good luck!

@AndresC2
by the way with aufs-back this will work?

umount /lib/live/mount/overlay
mount -t tmpfs -o "remount,size=90%" tmpfs /lib/live/mount/overlay
Yes, I think so (didn't test though) the overlay mechanism is the same as in earlier versions using aufs by defualt (just need to boot now with "union=aufs" (without the quotes))

Fred

wiak

#45 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:but why use the Jessie (extracted deb and not the one from Stretch? (maybe makes no difference, just curious)
Yeah, it was just the one I picked up first (I also thought shortly after that that I should have used the one from Stretch, but was short of time to redo that). As it turns out doesn't seem to matter. I will try the one from Stretch sometime and probably upload new dotpet for that instead eventually in case that proves better for the future...

wiak

wiak

#46 Post by wiak »

Okay, I uploaded dotpet for debootstrap ver 1.0.89 from Debian Stretch to my thread instead of the older one from Jessie. Seems to work fine also.

wiak

rcrsn51

#47 Post by rcrsn51 »

PWF needs some tweaks as it moves from Puppy to Live Stretch

Code: Select all

ln -sf /usr/bin/leafpad /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor
ln -sf /usr/bin/midori /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
ln -sf /usr/bin/pcmanfm /usr/local/bin/rox
--------------------

I have posted here a package of Realtek USB WiFi drivers (32bit) for Stretch. They are either not yet in the k4.9.0 kernel or the in-kernel versions work poorly.

8192cu.ko  8192du.ko  8192eu.ko  8812au.ko
Also, posted here is a firmware package for the various USB WiFi drivers that are included in the Live build but are missing their firmware.

Download the packages and install them with: dpkg -i xxx.deb

belham2

#48 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas what is going on with this Deb 9 Stretch build with script I did a few days ago? The pics and their titles say it all (is there something from Debian xorg-wise that didn't get installed? If so, what?).

[EDIT: Solved.....just remembered each monitor area has to be "right-clicked" on to set its "desktop preferences", you can't just do it from one monitor :oops: ]
Attachments
xrandr-shows-everything-correctly.png
(161.66 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
nothing-is-amiss-in-desktop-preferences.png
(74.48 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
yet-I-am-stuck-with-dual-identical-monitors-with-only-one-showing-chosen-background.png
(126.13 KiB) Downloaded 707 times

fredx181

#49 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:PWF needs some tweaks as it moves from Puppy to Live Stretch

ln -sf /usr/bin/leafpad /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor
ln -sf /usr/bin/midori /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
ln -sf /usr/bin/pcmanfm /usr/local/bin/rox
--------------------

I have posted here a package of Realtek USB WiFi drivers (32bit) for Stretch. They are either not yet in the k4.9.0 kernel or the in-kernel versions work poorly.

8192cu.ko  8192du.ko  8192eu.ko  8812au.ko
Also, posted here is a firmware package for the various USB WiFi drivers that are included in the Live build but are missing their firmware.

Download the packages and install them with: dpkg -i xxx.deb
Thanks ! Can be useful for some, I remember Pelo mentioned about e.g. 8192cu couple of times (if I'm right).

I will add these to Stretch32 repo later.

Fred

belham2

#50 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred,

In all the DDogs Stretch and/or otherwise, I am used to installing "ufw" from Synaptic for the firewall (and setting it up and the rules from the terminal). On Debian, it is a 25MB install. Heaven forbid if the user wants a gui UFW install, called "GUFW", as Synaptic will bring back that 33 things have to be installed & 97MB will be used :shock:

Do we have any other alternative in the DDogs all around (these script builds included)? Something like all pups have with Bob's Easy Firewall, where I think (iirc) the whole package is less than 2MB max (might even be smaller than this).

belham2

#51 Post by belham2 »

P.S. Followup

Also wanted to tell you Midori is nearly completely not functional in both builds I did. I can't even cruise to a web http and/or https without Midori garbling everything and then saying the site doesn't exist. It can't even go to a Google search page without completely screwing the page up. I finally threw my hands up in the air and installed QtWeb-3.5 (which I've been using to post from these script builds).

Anyone else seeing this behavior with Midori using the build script to build a Stretch 9???

fredx181

#52 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking some more about this being a "project" and came to this:
As I said, I plan to extend the script more by installing basic 'dog' scripts and preconfigure right-click actions, file associations etc..
Ok, suppose that's done, there's a script to build a minidog (very interesting,btw, oh.., debootstrap... wow :) ). But what then?
We might as well present minidog32.iso and minidog64.iso for download.
So, IMO, this thread only has value if we implement some form of choices for a user.

@AndresC2
I did my stretch-minimal in /root is very fast build in ram but you have add minimal apps like links2 midnightcommander ifupdown etc... only 85mb my filesystem.squashfs.
I'm interested in what's your list of installed packages, I have no experience with a system e.g. without running X
Can you share? See below: MINI_INSTALL

Here's some possible (very basic concept) form, so that a user can choose from different setups by commenting or uncommenting one or more variables.
(later in time this can change in the form of questions while running the script, of course)

############# uncomment or comment below #############
# different variables may have duplicates, should not be a problem when using together
# apt-get will then just filter out the duplicate packages

# Absolutely minimal, basic software, no X, e.g. : wget net-tools busybox sysvinit-core, psmisc, some console apps, and e.g. midnight-commander, links2
export MINI_INSTALL="....."

# Basic, X included, e.g. xserver-xorg and other packages to provide graphical desktop
# include MINI_INSTALL
export BASIC_INSTALL="$MINI_INSTALL ....."

# Openbox with pcmanfm, lxpanel, lxappearance, synaptic, midori or other browser ...
export OB_INSTALL="....."

# JWM with rox, synaptic ....
# export JWM_INSTALL="....."

# Basic dog applications, e.g. remaster scripts, apt2sfs, sfsload, filemnt etc...
export DOG_APPS_INSTALL="....."

# Extra dog applications, e.g. mpv, gnome-mplayer, dogradio, youtube-get ...
# export EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL="....."

# apt-get install (in chroot) what's not commented out
apt-get install $MINI_INSTALL $BASIC_INSTALL $OB_INSTALL $JWM_INSTALL $DOG_APPS_INSTALL $EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL
Really not sure about this, just idea...

@belham

Yes, pity, midori is no good, I couldn't login at my google-drive and had some other problems, now you mention, better add another browser.
Do we have any other alternative in the DDogs all around (these script builds included)? Something like all pups have with Bob's Easy Firewall, where I think (iirc) the whole package is less than 2MB max (might even be smaller than this).
Yes, peasyfwm (peasy firewall monitor) (from rcrsn51) and firewall-ng (based on Allien Bob's by 01micko ?)

Fred

belham2

#53 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking some more about this being a "project" and came to this:
As I said, I plan to extend the script more by installing basic 'dog' scripts and preconfigure right-click actions, file associations etc..
Ok, suppose that's done, there's a script to build a minidog (very interesting,btw, oh.., debootstrap... wow :) ). But what then?
We might as well present minidog32.iso and minidog64.iso for download.
So, IMO, this thread only has value if we implement some form of choices for a user.

@AndresC2
I did my stretch-minimal in /root is very fast build in ram but you have add minimal apps like links2 midnightcommander ifupdown etc... only 85mb my filesystem.squashfs.
I'm interested in what's your list of installed packages, I have no experience with a system e.g. without running X
Can you share? See below: MINI_INSTALL

Here's some possible (very basic concept) form, so that a user can choose from different setups by commenting or uncommenting one or more variables.
(later in time this can change in the form of questions while running the script, of course)

############# uncomment or comment below #############
# different variables may have duplicates, should not be a problem when using together
# apt-get will then just filter out the duplicate packages

# Absolutely minimal, basic software, no X, e.g. : wget net-tools busybox sysvinit-core, psmisc, some console apps, and e.g. midnight-commander, links2
export MINI_INSTALL="....."

# Basic, X included, e.g. xserver-xorg and other packages to provide graphical desktop
# include MINI_INSTALL
export BASIC_INSTALL="$MINI_INSTALL ....."

# Openbox with pcmanfm, lxpanel, lxappearance, synaptic, midori or other browser ...
export OB_INSTALL="....."

# JWM with rox, synaptic ....
# export JWM_INSTALL="....."

# Basic dog applications, e.g. remaster scripts, apt2sfs, sfsload, filemnt etc...
export DOG_APPS_INSTALL="....."

# Extra dog applications, e.g. mpv, gnome-mplayer, dogradio, youtube-get ...
# export EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL="....."

# apt-get install (in chroot) what's not commented out
apt-get install $MINI_INSTALL $BASIC_INSTALL $OB_INSTALL $JWM_INSTALL $DOG_APPS_INSTALL $EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL
Really not sure about this, just idea...

@belham

Yes, pity, midori is no good, I couldn't login at my google-drive and had some other problems, now you mention, better add another browser.
Yes, peasyfwm (peasy firewall monitor) (from rcrsn51) and firewall-ng (based on Allien Bob's by 01micko ?)

Fred

Ah, thanks, Fred. I installed Arno's-firewall in one build (about 6MB), and I'll try PFM with firewall-ng in the other. Didn't realize PFM lets you set firewall rules and such, I thought it only monitored your firewall install plus allowed you to stop or start the firewall.

P.S. How in heck did Andres get an 85mb filesystem.squashfs?! That's awesome!! Hope he shares.

P.S.2 Thanks for the comment/uncomment list...will give a few a try with more builds today and this weekend. And yes, good heavens, throw midori in the dumpster & let's go with QtQeb and/or Qupzilla and/or your old trusty Firefox 26 from the eariler dogs :wink:

rcrsn51

#54 Post by rcrsn51 »

belham2 wrote:Didn't realize PFM lets you set firewall rules and such, I thought it only monitored your firewall install plus allowed you to stop or start the firewall
Here's the history:

1. Originally, Puppy had the Linux Firewall but no monitoring program.

2. Then Puppy introduced a monitoring program whose early versions were unreliable. People would think that their firewall was down when it was really up, so they couldn't get file/print sharing to work.

3. So I introduced PFM as an alternative.

4. Puppy then introduced firewall-ng, which was incompatible with PFM.

5. I had some philosophical objections to firewall-ng. So I upgraded PFM which also installs the original Linux Firewall.

Read here.

belham2

#55 Post by belham2 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
belham2 wrote:Didn't realize PFM lets you set firewall rules and such, I thought it only monitored your firewall install plus allowed you to stop or start the firewall
Here's the history:

1. Originally, Puppy had the Linux Firewall but no monitoring program.

2. Then Puppy introduced a monitoring program whose early versions were unreliable. People would think that their firewall was down when it was really up, so they couldn't get file/print sharing to work.

3. So I introduced PFM as an alternative.

4. Puppy then introduced firewall-ng, which was incompatible with PFM.

5. I had some philosophical objections to firewall-ng. So I upgraded PFM which also installs the original Linux Firewall.

Read here.

Thanks, rcrsn51!

belham2

#56 Post by belham2 »

Hi again Fred.

Sorry to be bugging ya so much, haha.

I'm stuck. What do I need to install to make this work? I cannot find that lib anywhere...yet it exists in different forms. So i just create a symlink and point to the newer forms of this lib?? Also, I cannot mksquashfs/unsquashfs anything, despite robbing all your scripts from other ddog32-stretch/jessie versions. Am totally stumped :cry:
Attachments
Got-this-trying-to-run-SFRs-UExtract-on-another-Ddogs-01-filesystem-squashfs.png
(154.29 KiB) Downloaded 632 times

perdido

#57 Post by perdido »

belham2 wrote:Hi again Fred.

Sorry to be bugging ya so much, haha.

I'm stuck. What do I need to install to make this work? I cannot find that lib anywhere...yet it exists in different forms.
So i just create a symlink and point to the newer forms of this lib?? Also, I cannot mksquashfs/unsquashfs anything,
despite robbing all your scripts from other ddog32-stretch/jessie versions. Am totally stumped :cry:
Hi belham,

This package contains liblzo2.so.2
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/liblzo2-2

Last edited by perdido on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#58 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,

The missing package for liblzo2.so lib should be "liblzo2-2", but probably "squashfs-tools" is not installed (has mksquashfs and would automatically install liblzo2-2), I'll add it to my "not forget notes", :) should be part of the INSTALL list.
Uextract is nice, however it can't do much if there are so little unpack tools installed.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

I have never installed firewall since 2011.

#59 Post by Pelo »

I have never installed firewall since 2011.
What is firewall useful to ???
The same for an antivirus.
We can need Linux to get our computer serviceable, but I don't have a computer to run Linux.
We need apps to do what we have to do at home, mainly leasure, sometime office and mailing..
Please deal with that. All apps become old, vintage and are of no more interest for our youth.. please offer us some pleasure, not only different ways to run old stuff..
Dotpup... :D old word.. that means a lot.
2008, firewall is not necessary
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 05 Aug 2017, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.

belham2

#60 Post by belham2 »

Thanks, Perdido and Fred,

Got mksquashfs/unsquashfs working now (installed mksquash-tools from Synaptic). Doggone Puppies and you, Fred, have got me spoiled thinking the tools for squashing/unsquashing are by default there---thus it never occurs to me to install them.

So, thank you!

P.S. I see the thread got hit by graybearded, wise monk Pelo! With that blessin of his incarnation of an appearance, this build script has thus been blessed & is definitely now on the course to enlightenment. :wink: