Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 02:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
utf-8 setting gone after reboot
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Limbomusic

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug 2017, 16:31    Post subject:  utf-8 setting gone after reboot
Subject description: and that is kinda kooky

I've been tinkering (a LOT) with making a webserver-pup. I built a tahrpup_6.0.6 using the latest woof_testing with newest 32bit kernel. And then some remasterings of that. I THAUGHT it was damn perfect. But today I tried it on an old pc just to tinker/test - and suddenly: problem: The UTF-8 setting isnt saved after reboot.
I'll explain in more detail: In the remaster process - before /tmp/etc/profile gets added - I always put in:

LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8

so that when booting for the first time - default language is set to norwegian AND (and this is where the problem comes in) the "UTF-8" is automatically ticked. I,ve remastered A LOT. And this has ALWAYS worked fine - but THIS time - when booting from usb first time - utf-8 is NOT ticked... OK, so I tick it. Restart graphical server - and everythings fine - BUT - after reboot (yes, making a save-file) utf-8 is gone...

If I go into /etc/profile - and type in (LANG=nb_NO).UTF-8 - and restarting graph serv - everythings fine - but after reboot. utf-8 setting is GONE again...

Now. This wouldnt be a problem for anyone just using english language. But it WOULD be a problem for anyone hosting a site - using my pup - with file-names in a folder with norwegian characters/letters - and also the clock/name of day doesnt show the norwegian chars...

I spent 2 hours today - making just remastered tahr6.0.5 (with newer kernel) web-pups - so I could have something that just works. But... damn - I,ve spent a LOTTA time woofing and remastering - and the new 6.0.6 has the cool new boot stuff (and probably? much more "under the hood") I guess - so, like, I wanted to use my "own" woofed tahr... dang !

Any thoughts ?
----------------------------------
EDIT 05.09.2017

Woofed a new tahr6.0.6 webserver-puplet yesterday. And now it's all good. Tested a lot. Big filesize because chrome 48 installed. Hiawatha version 10.6 (autostart on boot) with modified config file to make it easy to get up and running.
http://pissekult.com/linux/kjartans_puppy/K-PUP_webserver_uefi.zip
http://pissekult.com/linux/kjartans_puppy/K-PUP_webserver.iso
-----------------------------------

Last edited by Limbomusic on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 02:36; edited 2 times in total
april

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 04:24    Post subject:  

is LANG set?
Code:
env

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Limbomusic

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 06:06    Post subject: lang
Subject description: set

Yes. Correct language pops up on first boot but the danged utf-8 setting will not be saved after reboot.
-edit-
I'm thinking that for some strange reason - something rewrites the /etc/profile file during reboot. But WHY? HOW? %&%!... dang. (or darn)
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: