Some YouTube videos need HTML 5 (solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
fstreed

Some YouTube videos need HTML 5 (solved)

#1 Post by fstreed »

Some of the newer Youtube videos won't play and the error message says I need HTML 5 to play them.

I am running Puppy Slacko 6.3.2
The version of Firefox that came with it is 38.8.0

As far as I know everything is up to date. I am not really very good at tweeking software. I have been running one version or another of Puppy for probably 7 or 8 years now, it just seems to work without much fuss usually. I am afraid of breaking something if I just start changing settings and randomly downloading stuff when I don't know what I'm doing.
Last edited by fstreed on Sat 05 Aug 2017, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

linux_noob

#2 Post by linux_noob »

* just a suggestion *

try going into Firefox menu, then select the Help menu ( ? icon ) and then selecting About Firefox. this will automatically begin searching for updates.
your version 38 is old. it should be at least version 45 to play html5 video

fstreed

#3 Post by fstreed »

Thanks, linux_noob. I poked around in various menus and found one that gave me the opportunity to download Firefox 45.9.0. I restarted the computer and it updated my old version 38 to 45 and now it seems to play all the new Youtube vids. It wasn't hard even for a klutz like me, I just needed someone to point me in the right direction. Thanks again.

linux_noob wrote:* just a suggestion *

try going into Firefox menu, then select the Help menu ( ? icon ) and then selecting About Firefox. this will automatically begin searching for updates.
your version 38 is old. it should be at least version 45 to play html5 video

linux_noob

#4 Post by linux_noob »

no problem.

hint: If you want to update app packages, you should have an app on your desktop called QuickPet. This is an easy to use update center for the package manager. Here you can update and install apps, and update your puppy system.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Slacko does not have QuickPet.
That is a Tahrpup feature.

Slacko has an updates manager program listed in menu->Setup or System, that will offer updates to stuff in Slacko.

It will download and install all it finds at one time.
Sometimes this causes issues.
Too much and sometimes the updates are not in proper order.
The wrong program gets updated, when it should update, after a different one is updated.
I suggest use the result list as a reference and if it looks like something needed. Use PPM (Puppy Package Manager) to download individually.

A lot of that listed does not really need updated for Puppy.
(The Updates Manger gets it's info from a Slackware updates repository)

In the newest Slacko 6.9.9.9, this updates manager shows you what is available, but gives you the choice as to what to download and install.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Moose On The Loose

Re: Some YouTube videos need HTML 5 (solved)

#6 Post by Moose On The Loose »

fstreed wrote:Some of the newer Youtube videos won't play and the error message says I need HTML 5 to play them.
Not all of the messages about HTML5 are really caused by that. What youtube does is put up that text and then drop the video on top of it so that in theory the video will hide the message. This, however means that if anything else prevents playing the video the message will remain displayed.

Other causes to watch for:

1) The page hasn't really fully loaded because something is extremely slow.

2) What youtube sent you as HTML5 has an error in it that your browser didn't "work around" in exactly the same way as Chrome would have. It appears that youtube only tests by looking to see what happens with Chrome when they make a change.

Some videos that wouldn't play a week ago now play. It appears that they are fiddling with their scripts that make the pages.