Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 16 Dec 2017, 05:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
WebCamoid 8.0.0 - .pet & SFS, 32/64-bit
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug 2017, 07:48    Post subject:  WebCamoid 8.0.0 - .pet & SFS, 32/64-bit
Subject description: Webcam app that's a combination of Guvcview & Gnome's 'Cheese' (with lots of rather nifty effects)

Morning, all.

Following the purchase of a new UVC-compliant webcam yesterday, I was having a browse (as you do!), to see what alternative webcam apps to Guvcview and Luvcview might be available.....and I came across this, on the 'AlternativesTo' site:-

http://alternativeto.net/software/webcamoid/

And that led me here, to the 'WebCamoid' page at GitHub:-

https://webcamoid.github.io/

I liked the look of this one straight away.....and the fact that it was available as an AppImage got me even more interested. There's three versions:-

1) The 'Installable'. This is an all-in-one .run file, that has a built-in 'installer' (similar to a Windoze installer). Like a Windows .exe file, you click on this, and follow the instructions.....and the end result is that WebCamoid is installed on your system.
2) The 'Bundled'. This is the AppImage; everything needed self-contained.
3) The 'Portable'. This one, I'm guessing, is what you can build into a complete, true 'portable app', which you can run from a USB stick literally anywhere. But it's an enormous package, since it contains the entire Qt5 set of libraries.....almost 100 MB in total!

I downloaded both 32- and 64-bit AppImages, and tried them out in Tahr64 and 32-bit Xenialpup. In both cases, the AppImage runs flawlessly; there's always something of a delay with these things, since I suspect they're having to 'unpack' in RAM before running.

You can take snapshots; you can record videos.....just like Guvcview. The difference here is that these will run in any Pup; you don't need to wait for a package for your specific Pup.

The 'kicker' (there's always one!) is that they will only run on fairly recent Pups, as WebCamoid utilises Qt5, and requires at least glibc-2.19 & gcc 4.8.8. I've tried the 32-bit version out in Xenialpup, Tahrpup 6.05, and rg66's X-Tahr 2.0 (based on Tahr). It runs fine in all cases.

----------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who might like to try this out, I've made these up into .pet & SFS packages, for both 32- and 64-bit, utilising the AppImage itself. Rather than clicking directly on the AppImage every time, this will give you a MenuEntry to start from, and a .desktop entry if you want to place a 'launcher' on the desktop. These are 40+ MB packages, so I anticipate the SFS will probably be the favoured choice.

Packages can be found here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/unygx5j47g5cb/WebCamoid

Feedback would be appreciated. Have fun.

Mike. Wink

april

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 05:05    Post subject:  

I gave the sfs a try on Precise 5.7.1 ,no go but I guess its a bit old now
Tried the pet too

Code:
# WebCamoid
webcamoid: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_gU24w8/lib/libdrm.so.2)
#

Thanks Mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 14:49    Post subject:  

Hi, april.

april wrote:
I gave the sfs a try on Precise 5.7.1 ,no go but I guess its a bit old now

Indeed, that probably is the case. In fact, I'm now starting to think this is a 'beta' version.....or even something like an RC2 or RC3 release candidate, even though it doesn't say so. It's rather unstable, too.

The 64-bit version doesn't seem too 'shonky', but trying to do basic stuff in the 32-bit version (like adjusting screen resolution) results in an instant crash. And it does it over, and over again.

It's rather unpredictable, too..... It's quite possible I rushed this one out too quickly, before giving it a trial run for a few days. It's what I should really have done, TBH.

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: