Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
belham2

#121 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
Ah, well, I really don't know yet, I'm not sure if the target should be a full featured DD.
I think flexibilty should be the goal, I experimented also now with a GUI version:
mklive-stretch GUI (right-click > Save link as)
Requires yad installed, probably not a too old version (like some puppies still have)
A bit more user-friendly if it goes about choice which packages to install, I guess.
Doesn't need to run from terminal, just click on the script (after making executable), the output will run in a Xterm window.

Fred

Wowzers, Fred, this is turning into a beauty of a way to build. :shock: :D

Fantastic job!

dancytron

#122 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:Dan,

Maybe there's misunderstanding.
The script addnewuser is not included in the mklive-stretch build (yet)
You can copy it from an existing DD to /usr/local/bin in the built system (while running it) and see if if works properly.
Okay.

belham2

#123 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred & Dancytron,

Trying the new "mklive-stretchgui" right now.

I did the following:

1) Right-clicked on the link in Fred's post above.

2) Chose "Save As"

3) Then copied the download over to a blank 5GB ext4-formatted partition (formatted with Trinity Gparted)

4) Then, like we are supposed to, I opened terminal there and ran 'chmod +x mklive-stretchgui'. And finally,

5) I clicked on it and nothing happens. Trinity just opens the damn thing in leafpad. It is executable and marked in permissions to run/execute, so what am I doing wrong? The terminal won't even launch it. FYI, I am in the latest Trinity doing all this and I know it has YAD installed (is the YAD version too old in Trinity, can't be, right??)

It's late, I know, not my best time of the day when the brain is fried, but am I missing a step here? I must be....ugh :oops: But, in my defense, this is what I did, I believe, for the 'mklive-stretch' script originally download & and I used it for lots of builds.

[SOLVED] For crimney's sakes, I gotta quit doing stuff so late.....I had my right-click default function set to "Leafpad" instead of xterm like I "assumed" it was. Arrrgggghhhhhhhh........ :evil:

rcrsn51

#124 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is anyone else seeing this? In the latest build, PCManFM's Application button (in the left panel) is missing its icon.

belham2

#125 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

This new GUI-clickable build script is something....here is/was the first run through tonight of choosing what I wanted (Qtweb, Lxterminal, mtPaint, GTKHash, DogRadio, Conkyclock, Peasymount, RedshiftGUI, Gparted, pFind, Feh, Restartx.xh and more....holycow was this simple and fun):

P.S. Rcrsn51, there's a few things off, mainly missing and/or misplaced desktop entries, all easily fixable, but nothing else. Not sure what you mean by "missing PCManFM application button on the left". Gotta catch some sleep, it's past 2:00 am here :shock: dam# Fred did it to me again!) A problem does exist with all script builds concerning mtPaint---the program only lets you open anything from directly inside it, it seems you cannot get the right-click aspect for mtpaint through a file manager to work. Yet right-click for everything else through pcmanfm does work.
Attachments
StretchDogi686-built-with-Freds-updated-GUI-buildscript.jpg
(55.62 KiB) Downloaded 716 times

rcrsn51

#126 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is PeasyPartView brought from Puppy and simplified a bit. It can show the stats for up to eight mounted partitions.

Look for it in the System menu.

Remove the fake .gz extension.
Attachments
peasypartview_1.1-2.deb.gz
Updated 2018-03-22
Bugfix for emmc drives
(7.12 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
peasypartview_1.1-1.deb.gz
(7.12 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
screenie.png
(19.38 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 12:15, edited 7 times in total.

jd7654

#127 Post by jd7654 »

Tried the new gui script in AntiX64 16.2 frugal install, Success!

Ran into the same window/program closing issue, due to no xterm in default antiX install, has lxterminal and roxterm. Maybe script can check for default or currently used?(there is no defaultterminal in antiX like there is in Puppy)
Installed xterm and then all went OK.

Added xserver-xorg-input-synaptics so the touchpad would work. Would be nice to include as a default to be laptop friendly.

GUI frontend is great choice. Just add a tick box for 32-bit or 64-bit, and maybe preload those three dialogs for language, root passwd and compression. I know...probably easier said than done, so just a dumb user request. :wink:

wiak

#128 Post by wiak »

peebee wrote:Hi Fred

Scenario = running latest version of mklive-stretch.sh from within wiak's debootstrapDebian within LxPupSc Puppy.....so a chroot has already been done....probably being too ambitious / hopeful.....
Hi peebee,

EDIT: below didn't work afterall, see my comments at end of post

I downloaded and installed your 32bit LxPupSc 17.07.1 (very nice by the way) and tried the above and all worked fine for me. When I made the initial debootstrapDebian install I of course first removed /lib for LD_LIBRARY_PATH as I previously explained (and that variable thus already exported in the terminal I was working in).

Then I copied Fred's latest mklive-stretch script into chroot/usr/bin and made a folder chroot/debdog inside that debootstrapDebian folder from which I opened a terminal and executed mklive-stretch.

Took ages but produced both the /live folder with Fred's debiandog stretch inside (within subfolder isodata) and also DebLive_Stretch-i386.iso inside the chroot/debdog/stretch folder. I clicked on the iso and it opened up fine and contained the expected contents.

mklive-stretch script (first time I've ever used it actually) ended with success message:
Finished! If all went well, DebLive_Stretch-i386.iso has been created.
Also the required files for a frugal install are in isodata 'live' folder

Have a good day!
So, I guess you did indeed forget to do the export LD_LIBRARY_PATH with /lib: removed from that since all worked fine for me.

Having said that, easier indeed just to use the latest mklive-stretch script from Puppy itself with or without xorriso installed (since should be able to produce the main thing needed, the /live folder, for later frugal install anyway).

EDIT: oops. Tried quickly booting the new OS frugal (installed in /mnt/sda5/DDnew/live) but got:

Code: Select all

end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs to unknown block (0,0)
But thought just made stupid mistake with my grub4dos menu.lst, but the initrd1.gz is only 4 KiB in size so clearly something far wrong afterall (turns out both the created initrd1.img and initrd1.gz are empty files...):

title PorteusDog DDnew openbox (sda5)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /DDnew/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/DDnew/ changes=EXIT:/DDnew/live/
initrd /DDnew/live/initrd1.xz
EDIT2: looking inside my final debdog/stretch folder, I see that the dir initrdlive is empty folder and initrdport is 2.8M according to du -h.

EDIT3: Just using Fred's mklive-stretch script from /usr/bin on LxPupSc worked fine by the way (except I didn't bother with xorriso so iso wasn't made. the stretch/isodata/live folder contained good initrd1.gz, initrd1.img, vmlinuz, and 01-filesystem.squashfs for frugal booting though. Not sure why the other way resulted in empty initrd1 files... Note that prior to running mklive-stretch I simply used "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=" which emptied LD_LIBRARY_PATH altogether, and that worked fine.

wiak

NOTE: More worrying (unrelated) issue is that debootstrap program (even on its own) does not work in XenialDog32 distribution (and I tried the version I use in debootstrap.pet but that made no difference - something wrong with XenialDog32?).
Last edited by wiak on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 08:10, edited 4 times in total.

Moat

#129 Post by Moat »

Incredible... simply fantastic, Fred!! :D

Ran the GUI script on Mint Mate 18.2 64 bit (had to install YAD and xterm), and other than throwing a few seemingly innocuous errors;

(yad:8674): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_rgba_parse: assertion 'spec != NULL' failed
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
... it built a perfect .iso! Burned to CD and booted right up. PWF connected (posting from it now!), installed a few apps (flawlessly) via Synaptic. Having a short play, and everything seems to be working without issue, and faaast. Went the full-boat, and added all of the extra Dog apps and firmware - with gzip, iso ended up a little over 300 Mb. Took about 34 minutes, start to finish.

root@live:~# inxi -F
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
System:    Host: live Kernel: 4.9.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq 6730b (KS178UT#ABA) v: F.20 serial: CNU92809ND
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 30DD v: KBC Version 96.23 serial: CNU92809ND
           BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68PDD Ver. F.20 date: 12/07/2011
Battery    BAT0: charge: 55.8 Wh 96.4% condition: 57.8/78.0 Wh (74%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo P8600 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2401 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.0-3-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection
           driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:1e:65:01:d0:38
           Card-2: Broadcom Limited NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
           driver: tg3
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:25:b3:64:5f:06
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (1.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: FUJITSU_MJA2250B size: 250.1GB
           ID-1: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 113 Uptime: 1:40 Memory: 307.5/3856.4MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5
And a dumb ol' noob like me did it?!? :lol: Incredible!!

Thanks, Fred... 8) The potential of this script-build method seems quite extraordinary!!

Bob
Attachments
Stretch_homebuilt.jpg
Script-built Stretch...
(66.21 KiB) Downloaded 638 times

anikin

#130 Post by anikin »

peasypartview - a quick test on Devuan Jessie:

root@debian:~# peasypartview
/usr/local/bin/peasypartview: 24: export: Illegal option -f

/usr/local/bin/peasypartview: 61: export: Illegal option -f

/usr/local/bin/peasypartview: 81: /usr/local/bin/peasypartview: Bad substitution

Regarding debootstrap not working in XenialDog, I think, I know why, but I need to download and install XenialDog and try running debootstrap from it.

rcrsn51

#131 Post by rcrsn51 »

anikin wrote:peasypartview - a quick test on Devuan Jessie:

root@debian:~# peasypartview
/usr/local/bin/peasypartview: 24: export: Illegal option -f

/usr/local/bin/peasypartview: 61: export: Illegal option -f

/usr/local/bin/peasypartview: 81: /usr/local/bin/peasypartview: Bad substitution[/quote] 

Are you using bash or another shell?

My gtkdialog apps need bash.

anikin

#132 Post by anikin »

rcrsn51 wrote:. . . Are you using bash or another shell?

My gtkdialog apps need bash.
My bad, it was dash.
I normally use bash, but the other day, I needed dash to test something and forgot to switch back.

wiak

#133 Post by wiak »

Problem of debootstrap not working in XenialDog32 remains unresolved:

Terminal messages after:

debootstrap --arch=i386 --variant=minbase stretch chroot http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
also tried with: --no-check-gpg

and also tried rebooting with upstart (apt-get update && apt-get install upstart-sysv) rather than systemd - made not difference.

I: Installing core packages...
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /mnt/sda5/stretch/chroot dpkg --force-depends --install /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.18.24_i386.deb
W: See /mnt/sda5/stretch/chroot/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details
chroot/debootstrap/debootstrap.log error message:

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 22.
Use of uninitialized value $action in string eq at /usr/share/debconf/frontend line 27.
Unpacking base-passwd (from /var/cache/apt/archives/base-passwd_3.5.43_i386.deb)...
Setting up base-passwd (3.5.43)...
Unpacking base-files (from /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_9.9+deb9u1_i386.deb)...
Warning: Creating /etc/debian_version as /etc/debian_version.dpkg-new
Warning: Creating /etc/dpkg/origins/debian as /etc/dpkg/origins/debian.dpkg-new
Warning: Creating /etc/host.conf as /etc/host.conf.dpkg-new
Warning: Creating /etc/issue as /etc/issue.dpkg-new
Warning: Creating /etc/issue.net as /etc/issue.net.dpkg-new
Warning: Creating /etc/update-motd.d/10-uname as /etc/update-motd.d/10-uname.dpkg-new
Setting up base-files (9.9+deb9u1)...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dpkg.postinst called with unknown argument ''
Preparing to replace dpkg 1.18.24 (using /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.18.24_i386.deb)...
Warning: Creating /etc/alternatives/README as /etc/alternatives/README.dpkg-new
Warning: Creating /etc/cron.daily/dpkg as /etc/cron.daily/dpkg.dpkg-new
Warning: Creating /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg as /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.dpkg-new
Warning: Creating /etc/logrotate.d/dpkg as /etc/logrotate.d/dpkg.dpkg-new
Setting up dpkg (1.18.24)...
dpkg: postinst failed, exit code 256
EDIT:

This line from above log may or may not be relevant (the empty string argument apparently passed) - I couldn't find what caused that anyway:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/dpkg.postinst called with unknown argument '' 
Something to do with debconf? Probably nothing to do with any of it - looking forward to anyone providing the solution.
anikin wrote:Regarding debootstrap not working in XenialDog, I think, I know why, but I need to download and install XenialDog and try running debootstrap from it.
wiak

fredx181

#134 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks All for the feedback :)

Looks like the GUI version becomes the most popular (most people like GUI's, me too actually :wink: ), I will answer more in detail later today.

Fred

wiak

#135 Post by wiak »

debootstrap tested as working fine in XenialDog64 so issue is just with XenialDog32. What is the difference?

wiak

peebee

#136 Post by peebee »

wiak wrote:EDIT3: Just using Fred's mklive-stretch script from /usr/bin on LxPupSc worked fine by the way (except I didn't bother with xorriso so iso wasn't made. the isodate/live folder contained good initrd1.gz, initrd1.img, vmlinuz, and 01-filesystem.squashfs for frugal booting though. Not sure why the other way resulted in empty initrd1 files... Note that prior to running mklive-stretch I simply used "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=" which emptied LD_LIBRARY_PATH altogether, and that worked fine.

wiak
Success - thanks to wiak....
wiak clarified that apt-get was not needed for mklive-stretch....

Fresh frugal install of LxPupSc
Made internet connection
Installed debootstrap_1.0.89.pet
Copied mklive-stretch.sh to /usr/bin
Opened a terminal and typed:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH= && mklive-stretch.sh
Frugally installed the resulting /stretch/isodata/live successfully.....yippee

Now want to add things like pupsysinfo, tas, xarchive, that I'm comfortable with on Puppy so trying to work out how I do that.....is it possible??
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

belham2

#137 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

It's lunchtime, took 20 mins to use the GUI-buildscript, add what was necessary for the base and apps, remove some fo the other stuff, and created this below (it is full LXDE de with LX complimentary programs, Thunar, Palemoon, mtPaint, pupSnap via screeny/scrot from debian, and some of Fred's extras and dpup extras). This gui build process is flexible, easy to understand, and fast. Tonight, next up is budgie-desktop build and then a LXqt build, all using this beautiful GUI build script :D
Attachments
New-LXDE-de-with-Thunar-and-LX-packages-built-with-scriptGUI.jpg
(32.72 KiB) Downloaded 957 times

rcrsn51

#138 Post by rcrsn51 »

Pet2Stretch brings Puppy PET packages into the Stretch filesystem and runs any post-install scripts. It does NOT register with the apt-get database, but has its own uninstall tool. It can also check for missing dependencies. Pet2Stretch is intended for small items like print/scan drivers that already exist as PETs.

Look for Pet2Stretch in the System menu or use a right-click-open-with procedure.

Update: The View tool extracts the PET into /tmp so you can view the contents.

Remove the fake .gz extension.

------------------------
Attachments
snappie.png
(5.8 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
pet2stretch_1.3.deb.gz
Updated 2017-10-26
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 12:32, edited 5 times in total.

belham2

#139 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred,

Well, I've spent the past few hours trying to get the build-script to build an xfce4 & xfce4-goodies debiandog, but each time the script failed to get through. I finally caught the error before it turns itself off in the middle of doing stuff. It had something to do with "libxklavier....". As soon as the script threw up the message that there is/was a "Fatal Error", this libxklavier..... flew by, and the script terminated itself very quickly. I am not sure how to work around this error in the original build script, so, for now, I cannot attempt an XFCE and/or Budgie desktop-environment build using the buildscript.

Anything that stays focused on openbox and lxde, you can build all you want and the script will get through to the end (and have made you a nice, bootable ISO or just use the files from it to set up a frugal install).

rcrsn51

#140 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have built Broadcom wireless drivers for users who need the vendor wl driver. Post a request.

The post-install scripts will blacklist the b43 and ssb drivers. Look in /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom.conf. Depending on your chipset, you may need to blacklist other drivers.

Note: If you are using PeasyWiFi as your connection manager, open the Config and set

export DRIVER=nl80211
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 19:30, edited 4 times in total.