Pbackup 3.1.9-1

Miscellaneous tools
veronicathecow

#41 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, looks a great puppy but I was hoping to be able to backup to usb flash card. Any chance?
Many thanks

zigbert

#42 Post by zigbert »

I don't have any usb flash card, but if I got it right, they work like any harddisk, so it shouldn't be hard getting it work with HD option. Tell me...If it's so, it should have been told in the program or in the manual.

PaulBx1

#43 Post by PaulBx1 »

About the date setting (2000). You can choose whatever date you want. But I think *nix time start 1970 ??? I don't really know how PuppyBackup will act on your files from the 50's. Wink
Well, in my experience, I can't pick any date I want. I picked a date before any possible file date ('50's, 60's, doesn't matter, just so it's before any file creation date) and it still told me it was using 2000. I certainly do have files older than 2000.

I will try 1.9.4. BTW 1.0.0 worked fine yesterday.
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Sat 24 Feb 2007, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.

zigbert

#44 Post by zigbert »

I have looked at the date issue, and puppytime (unixtime) starts 1/1/1970. You can't set date earlier than this in Puppy. PuppyBackup will react on files from 2. jan. 1970.

zigbert

#45 Post by zigbert »

I'll make an errorcheck to see if date is set before 1970. Puppybackup shows 1966, but does not use it because os can't handle it.

zigbert

#46 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.9.5. See main post.

PaulBx1

#47 Post by PaulBx1 »

zigbert, what does "mirror" do?

I have a basic idea, that it makes the full backup mirror the thing being backed up, but does it go the other way as well? If you delete a file in the backup, does it get deleted in the thing being backed up, next time Puppybackup is run?

Also, using mirror is generally only for full backups, right?

If you don't use mirror, and delete a file in the thing being backed up, that will not be reflected in the incremental backup, right? So really, the only way to get an "image" backup is to use mirror?

Maybe you need a help button to explain these options. But maybe it's already there; I'm looking at version 1.0.0.

zigbert

#48 Post by zigbert »

taken from the help file:

Code: Select all

MIRROR
When the Mirror option is turned on, PuppyBackup becomes a sync utility. Instead of saving only recent changed files, PuppyBackup now makes the total 'save directory' equal to 'backup directories'. First time it will copy all files, later just updating changes. If you have deleted a file in your main datas, it will also be removed from mirror. But NOT the other way around. For secure reasons, removed files will be dumped to a trash directory.
- Mirror doesn't take effect of date-setting.
- Mirror only work when saving to harddisk / flashcard.
- To keep an up-to-date mirror, PuppyBackup can be scheduled. See chapter 4: Schedule backup.
If this is unclear, the helpfile is not good enough, please help me.

zigbert

#49 Post by zigbert »

That was taken from the newest prebuild of 1.9.6. I'll guess it differs a bit from the helpfile in 1.0.0.

tytower

Backup 1.9.5

#50 Post by tytower »

Woops error posting - Ill go fix it in a tic

How do I install backup 1.9.5 ? --click on it ,it unzips and then press install -good stuff - puts an entry in the menu automatically.

Is it included with Puppy 2.14 --no seems not , its an add on -a dotpup

GeoffS

#51 Post by GeoffS »

I need a couple of points cleared up -
MIRROR
When the Mirror option is turned on, PuppyBackup becomes a sync utility. Instead
I hope that is not really correct. A 'sync' utility keeps two directories in sync - i.e. any changes in one is reflected in the other. This program (I hope) only makes the changes from the directory being backed up (the original source) to the backup directory. I would hate to delete the entire backup file (so as to create a new one for instance) and find that the directory being backed up (the source) had vanished :cry:

What is the difference between Puppy-Mirror and the mirror function in Puppy-Backup?

I'm using 1.9.5 with Puppy 2.14 and it is great - congratulations.
Geoff

zigbert

#52 Post by zigbert »

I hope that is not really correct. A 'sync' utility keeps two directories in sync - i.e. any changes in one is reflected in the other. This program (I hope) only makes the changes from the directory being backed up (the original source) to the backup directory.
With your definition, it is not a sync utility, else you combine it with scheduling. But what is it then? My poor english skills has trouble to define it. I thought 'rsync' worked like this, but has never tried it :oops:

PuppyMirror is a gui for mirdir, that works like PuppyBackups mirror function.
PuppyMirror has the advantage of quick scan.
PuppyBackup has the advantage of flexible search settings.

GeoffS

#53 Post by GeoffS »

Thanks for the quick reply.
It's not your English that is letting you down, I don't think there is a name for it other than 'mirror. It is a reflection and like a mirror it only works one way.
'sync' utilities normally allow you to select the direction - forward, backward, both ways etc. They can be very dangerous :D A list of what they are going to do before they do it is very nice, in fact I wouldn't use one that didn't provide a pre-report :D

Thanks for the info on Puppy-Mirror and the mirror function.
I'll give the mirror function a test. One program instead of two.
Cheers
Geoff

zigbert

#54 Post by zigbert »

Code: Select all

With mirror option turned on, PuppyBackup will clone all your choosen datas to a mirror. PuppyBackup will make 'save-to directory' equal to 'save-from directories'. First time it will copy all files, later just update changes. If you have deleted a file in your main datas, it will also be removed in mirror. But NOT the other way around. For secure reasons, removed files will be dumped to a trash directory.
Is this better???
I'll give the mirror function a test. One program instead of two.
I agree, I think PuppyBackup could replace PuppyMirror.
And what about 'Pudd'??? What does it do, that PuppyBackup don't?

veronicathecow

#55 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, just tried the 1.9.5 backup to SDA (Memory stick)

Trouble is nothing was download to it. It said it was going through all the directories etc and spent ages going through /root even though I had removed it from the list. Said it had finished but there is nothing on the stick and the free memory indicator says none.
Any ideas
Cheers

veronicathecow

#56 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, I found out what happened but not why...

I found the backup here /mnt/sda/Backup_01-01-2000---25-02-2007/root

instead of on the memory stick which on mut shows as sda

This crashed my puppy having no free space and has messed up Firefox and lost some password etc (Inc to http://murga-linux.com/puppy)

Any ideas. Thanks
P.S. I got to the location via the HD option, then to mnt then sda (it was already mounted with MUT.

zigbert

#57 Post by zigbert »

Trouble is nothing was download to it.
Was it mounted? Check if you backup is in /mnt/sda (without mounting your memory stick). There is at the moment no automounting in puppy, and neither in PuppyBackup.
spent ages going through /root even though I had removed it from the list
first: Does it say '/root' or '/root/'? If your backup succedeed, then run PuppyBackup one more and see if /root/ is in the list. If it still is, then program hasn't removed it properly. It could else happen if you choose 'Follow symlink', and a link points to /root/ or a directory inside /root/.

Please check. It's important to track bugs. It pleases me, when you help me. Thank you!! :P

zigbert

#58 Post by zigbert »

I didn't catch your last reply. Unmount your stick, and then delete backup-files on /mnt/sda/.

I see the problem, and still there is no automounting, but there could have been a errorcheck.--> If copying inside /mnt/, check if represented disk is mounted.

I'm sorry for your trouble. To boot Puppy to recover, you can also use CD with boot-option pfix=ram.

GeoffS

#59 Post by GeoffS »

The previous posts do highlight what I would regard as an important lack in Puppy-Backup. It really should automount. The disk being used for the backup (the backup TO disk) should NOT be permanently mounted for all the safety and security reasons you can think of. This makes scheduled backups rather difficult :? and can lead to the problems mentioned above - I've already been there :lol:
Would automounting and un-mounting be difficult to implement?

Oh! yes, those instructions are MUCH better. I like your idea also of moving the deleted files to a trash but maybe that should be an option. If you have made a major structural change (moved directories etc) there can be a massive amount of deletions and disk space may become a problem - just a thought.

I got to the point of hating programming - never knew when to stop making improvements :lol:
Cheers
Geoff

veronicathecow

#60 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Zigbert, back up and running now I've deleted some stuff. Not your fault. Many years ago I ran SUSE and it ran of space and completely died! , trashed data and progs on the HD.

I had mounted the memory stick. Interestingly enough I created a directory to check something on the stick and when I went to /mnt/sda it wasn't there!
Then I looked at /mnt/sda1 and there it was! Mut shows the wrong drive assignment!

Now it works, will have to mention MUT problem on forum.

Auto mounting does sound useful. Also is it possible to have multiple copies of backedup files. Backup1, backup2, ---- Backupx etc to whatever level (x) you set and then the oldest backup is deleted when the (x) level is reached.

Currently you could accidentally delete the contents of a file, it backs up and wipes the backup with the new empty file. Many years ago a friend of mine type Copy A: B: instead of Copy B: A: and lost 2 weeks work so I'm a bit paranoid about that.

Also how about an FTP backup?
Thanks again
Tony