Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 22:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to make .pets for Tahrpup?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
n00bPup

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 03:41    Post subject:  How to make .pets for Tahrpup?  

Hello, I'm new to linux and I'm currently using tarhpup 6.0.5.
I love the puppy family and how it can run on basically any system (within reason)
I wanted to do some emulation, the idea being I could just carry my usb and boot puppy almost anywhere and play a few classics like the NES and SNES.
Of course with *cough* "LEGALLY OBTAINED ROMS"
I'm not very familiar with how programs are installed in traditional linux, let alone how pet packages are done.
Could someone give me the quick explanation of how to create a pet pkg from a regular pkg? Or at least point me in the right direction to some information?
thanks for your time.
perdido

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 06:24    Post subject:  

For starters here is a little background on PET packages.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150311235637/http://puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

If you have pre-compiled binaries you can skip the info about compiling from source.
Also, the info about how to convert a DotPup to PET is for very old puppy packages, you will probably not need that.
Lots more help coming from all angles will be arriving shortly:Smile

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 07:16    Post subject:  

Hi, n00bPup.

Perdido's link will give you the nuts & bolts of how Puppy creates packages, at the command line level. All Puppies contain these commands in Pup's implementation of BusyBox.

You may find this useful:-

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/petmaker

Trio wrote this sometime ago as a GUI 'front-end'. It uses the exact same commands 'under the hood'. Just makes it easier for some people who are more used to the Windoze way of doing things, where most applications are controlled by GUIs.

The link to the thread will lead you to the download itself. Do read the whole article that perdido has linked you to, as the mechanism is as relevant today as it was then; Trio's GUI is just the 'icing on the cake' for those who may 'struggle' with the terminal.

Hope that helps..!

Mike. Wink

nic007

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 07:26    Post subject:  

What do you mean by "regular" package? BTW - There are linux game emulators for NES but you may have to compile them for your puppy. A community member also created a puppy specifically for playing games (lots of emulators included), can't recall the name quite now (think it's arcade puppy or something). I play NES games with NNNesterJ, a windows emulator for NES running in WINE ie. you need WINE installed. The latter is the easy alternative (for me anyway) as I already have WINE.
n00bPup

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 13:23    Post subject:  

wow thank you guys so much, and nic007 I have tried puppy arcade and have run into all sorts of compatibility issues, and in the newest version the emulators tend to crash (I have messed with the settings but none of it seems to help). I will definitely try the wine approach in addition to the pkg and see which works the best.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 13:32    Post subject:  

About Wine

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added program that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select autodetect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of settup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.

mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 14:00    Post subject:  

n00bPup wrote:
Could someone give me the quick explanation of how to create a pet pkg from a regular pkg?

If by "regular package" you mean things like .deb packages for Debian/Ubuntu - you don't need to convert them. Puppy's package manager can install them directly.

If you haven't tried it already - you can access the package manager through the "install" icon on your desktop, or through the main menu > Setup > Puppy Package Manager. You can also install a package directly from a website by opening the link to it (your browser may offer to open the file with "petget"), or install a downloaded package by clicking it in your file manager.

You will often have to install extra packages (dependencies) without which a program won't run. If a package is installed from the package manager's menu, this is usually done automatically. If you want to see whether an installed package has everything it needs, go to Menu > Setup > Check dependencies installed pkg.

About the emulators: I booted Tahr 6.0.5 (32bit) in a virtual machine and had a look around. There are several emulators available from the package manager (use its search box), for example:

- Mednafen, an emulator for multiple platforms, including NES, Gameboy, etc. It is commandline-based - no settings menu or anything, so you'd have to edit its configuration files to make changes.

- Nestopia or Fceux for NES.

- Zsnes or Higan/Bsnes for SNES. I couldn't get Higan to work correctly (no graphics), but that might be because I didn't have OpenGL.
If you prefer Snes9x: I haven't seen it in the package manager, but I found some packages online:
This Snes9x-gtk version 1.53 package for Ubuntu Trusty requires the installation of two more packages, libgtk-3 and libportaudio2. (I used libgtk-3-0_3.10.8 and libportaudio2_19+svn20140130-1.) If your Puppy system is 32bit, download "snes9x-gtk_1.53-0pub6_i386.deb". Here is another, similar package by the same person.
This one, version 1.52 for the old Ubuntu Hardy, does not require the gtk3 package, but still needs the audio one.

(I'm not entirely sure how compatible that GTK package is with Tahrpup. GTK is a fairly substantial part of the system, so compatibility issues could cause trouble.)

Some of the programs' menu entries ended up in the "Utility" category instead of "Fun".
version2013

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 16:58    Post subject:  

About emulators:
I recently started using RetroArch via Wine, using Tahr-6.0.5 (32bit).
http://www.retroarch.com/

I have not figured out gamepad key binding yet.
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 17:29    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
About Wine

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added program that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select autodetect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of settup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.

Depends what you want to do with WINE. I have a very old version of WINE and all of the windows programs I want to run, runs perfectly.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 17:51    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Depends what you want to do with WINE. I have a very old version of WINE and all of the windows programs I want to run, runs perfectly.

I tend to agree with you, Nic.

I know the standard advice is to always use the newest version of any given app/program.....and by & large, that's sound advice, as far as it goes. But WINE is a peculiar beast; often, something that works fine in one particular version will have reduced functionality, or, occasionally, refuse to work at all when you upgrade to the next version. Which is no reflection upon version2013's excellent work; it's just the nature of the beast.

I've used his WINE 1.7.51 for quite some time now, simply because it runs everything I use with it flawlessly, with no 'side-effects'. I've tried newer versions, and in many cases, things have simply quit working!

I'm quite certain I don't need to tell you that..... Laughing

Mike. Wink

davids45

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 21:24    Post subject: SFS in place of Pet?
Subject description: For USB frugals

G'day n00bPup,

If you're running from a USB, then you are more likely using Frugal Pup "installs" - not the traditional (=MS) take-up-the-whole-partition Full install.

By all means, start your Pup-learning with pets, but I find the better way to add extra programs to Frugals is by the sfs method.

Pets just use up too much space if you want to have more than one Pup on your stick. Each Pup has to have its own install of each pet so increasing each Pup's Save-file size.

If you run just one Pup, pets are OK. But if you change your Pup, you delete the installed pets with the old Pup. An sfs as a stand-alone file, is still there for the new Pup to simply mount-at-boot as before.

SFS can be shared by Frugal Pups (each Pup using the same sfs) so saving stick memory. And individual sfs files gathered over time, can be combined into a single sfs, so at boot, you only need to load the one (big) sfs that will have all the programs you want. Combining pets, I just don't know?

Have fun anyway you try it,

David S.
n00bPup

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 22:17    Post subject: Thank you all
Subject description: controller support?

Wow, I was wondering what the sfs pkgs were, thank you for that david45.

I got a few pets to work, and I'm only using one pup on this frugal install, but I will definitley be using the sfs pkgs in the future.

My new problem involves my controller input. I can use the keyboard just fine but if I'm playing with a friend that may get a bit akward (there is netplay though). I have tried to connect an xbox one controller via usb, and downloaded the ubuntu-trusty-tahr xboxdrv pkg through the puppy pkg manager, to no avail. Any suggestions?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 22:55    Post subject:  

My suggestion is to start a new thread for a different question. Smile
n00bPup

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 22:57    Post subject: will do!  

thanks Flash!
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: