Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Oct 2017, 17:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 78 of 80 [1190 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 Next
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jul 2017, 10:09    Post subject:  

Hello rg66,

Browsers are rather a challenge and largely a matter of personal preference. You have the Mozilla derivatives and the Chromium derivatives. Both are now very large and have frequent updates. For this reason it makes sense for a distro to contain only a small browser such as Dillo or Netsurf (which is quite nice and has some javascript support) and allow user to handle large browser selection, but some distro devs don't like this idea and I do sort of understand why.

In terms of Mozilla, there is still Seamonkey as an option. Palemoon offers a good compromise, but a few things are missing including WebRTC support for video chatting. Firefox can still be compiled for GTK-2 and alsa rather than using official builds. I believe the Slackware builds are still compiled this way so you can use those if you don't want to build your own.

Looking at Chromium derivatives, my personal favourite is Vivaldi. The devs seem to know what they are doing. It runs sweeter than any of the others in terminal although initial start-up may take a second or two longer. The UI is different but highly customisable. The 32bit Vivaldi was briefly dropped but re-introduced and it does not need GTK-3 whereas the 64bit version does.

Opera runs better in Slackware than it does in Ubuntu/Debian but keep an eye on it for processes running on after it has been closed (run from terminal to see). I suspect the updater is causing this but can't be sure. Most of these browsers do have "spam" brands in the default speed-dial but I don't think it is anything sinister. With all of these browsers I always modify the main binary with bbe to enable run-as-root and remove the --no-sandbox issue.

rg66

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jul 2017, 19:11    Post subject:  

Thanks for the response OscarT,

I do want X-Slacko to have basic functionality ootb so a decent browser is a must for me, especially since 4.x won't be updated anymore. So far Palemoon is the one but I'll have a look at Vivaldi as I do like the chromium derivitaves such as opera etc....

Just found with a quick google search that running slimjet with "--no-sandbox --test-type" removes the warning.

edit: Just tried Vivaldi, so far I like it.

rg66

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul 2017, 02:27    Post subject:  

I've uploaded palemoon-27.4.0.sfs, slimjet-15.0.3.0.sfs and vivaldi-stable-1.10.867.48-1.i386.sfs to the repo.

edit: added firefox-45.9.0esr.sfs and gimp-2.8.22.sfs

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/sfs/

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 19:31    Post subject:  

Hallo, rg66. Need a bit of advice on a rather odd occurrence.

Basically, I've restored X-Slacko 232 from a back-up, after some experimentation which I just knew would 'break' things (it did).....and now 232 can't see any network interfaces of any kind. Even the in-built list of modules has gone AWOL.

I've tried this with half-a-dozen or so backups, taken at two-monthly intervals over the last year or so. 232 was working perfectly when each backup was made, yet they're all displaying the same behaviour.

See here for further details. Any ideas? TIA.

Mike. Wink

Marv

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 20:22    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Is this a frugal install? If it is, is there any chance that it is finding the zdrv from the (kernel juggling? IIRC? that broke it?) instead of the correct zdrv if that other zdrv is still about somewhere? That's a reach but it would explain all of the restores breaking in the same way. Maybe you could beef up the kernel params to limit the search. I was following the other thread and almost replied there but...

I thought I had the corner on oddities Very Happy

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2017, 23:52    Post subject:  

Mike, what does this command output from terminal?

Code:
cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE | grep ZDRV | grep -v INIT

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug 2017, 07:46    Post subject:  

Morning, rg.

Well, now; let's see.

I moved my 232 install last night, from sda11 to a directory inside sda10, which is one of my main data partitions (and has over 100 GB spare room).

Resulting from this, network functionality is all back again. The output from your code is as follows:-

Code:
# cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE | grep ZDRV | grep -v INIT
ZDRV='sda10,ext3,/X-Slacko_232/zdrv_xslacko_2.3.2.sfs'
#

.....which I'm guessing is now as it should be. Which just leaves the matter of the missing desktop!

Before this recent fracas, the XFCE desktop had been 'playing up' for a long while. Upon boot, it would 'flash' half-a-dozen times or so, then revert to a blank, grey background.

GKrellM shows. (It's a 'window', isn't it?)
Ditto with pWidgets.

But the background, and all the icons, etc.....Lord above knows what's happened with them, but they're MIA. XFCE is obviously trying to start, but for some reason is unable to.

The 'panel' works as normal.....and so does the Menu. So I can start everything, and basically 232 is once again functional. But where's my desktop?

Prior to all this, I'd been employing a 'workaround', which consisted of killing 'xfce-session' in the 'Processes' tab of the Task Manager/System Monitor thing, then restarting 'X' by typing in 'xwin' and hitting 'Enter'. Which worked nicely. But now, even this 'fix' refuses to function.

I've been researching no end of stuff on the XFCE forum, and related sites, etc., but nothing has shown up that might provide any clues as to what's happening.

So; any ideas? I would really love to get this one sorted; it's niggling me no end! Is there perhaps some config file somewhere, or a directory, that needs deleting, or 'resetting'?

TIA.

Mike. Wink

rg66

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug 2017, 08:15    Post subject:  

Mike, enable show hidden files in Thunar and go to /root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml and move xfce4-desktop.xml somewhere like the Desktop. Restart X and see what happens.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug 2017, 08:34    Post subject:  

MORE INFO re 'Missing Desktop'

Following another shufti around the web, I came across an article on the XFCE forums:-

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7793

Following the advice given here, I deleted /root/.cache/sessions, and restarted, via

Code:
xfdesktop

.....which resulted in the following:-

Code:
# xfdesktop

(xfdesktop:7778): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_path: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

(xfdesktop:7778): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_path: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

Segmentation fault
#

I doubt if that helps very much; I know segfaults are usually bad news. There's also mention in the thread about 're-installing' XFCE 4.10.....although this is on Debian. How 'do-able' is it in Puppy? Possible?

Of course, I could just set everything up from scratch again.....but it would take an age, and there's no guarantee the problem wouldn't recur again. The problem seems to have been fixed post 4.10.3; 232 is running 4.10.0.

I've tried X-Slacko 4.2 before now, and had exactly the same problem with it as I get on occasion with X-Tahr 2.0; periodically, the whole thing just slowly grinds to a halt, and I get all weird alternating flashing windows & stuff, followed by the entire thing just locking up solid. A 'hard' power-off is the only recourse.

Yet the ROX/JWM Pups never give me this problem...which is kind of annoying, as I really love the XFCE desktop.

(*grrrrrh..!*)

Mike. Wink

Moat

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug 2017, 22:12    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Before this recent fracas, the XFCE desktop had been 'playing up' for a long while. Upon boot, it would 'flash' half-a-dozen times or so, then revert to a blank, grey background.

Hmm... sounds kinda' like that gvfsd_metadata bug again...??

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=939097#939097

Bob
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 10 Aug 2017, 09:45    Post subject:  

@rg66:-

rg66 wrote:
Mike, enable show hidden files in Thunar and go to /root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml and move xfce4-desktop.xml somewhere like the Desktop. Restart X and see what happens.

I've done what you suggested, and all that's happened is that it's gone through the flashing routine again.....only this time, I see a bit of the default desktop wallpaper through pWidgets, instead of my own.

Was that what you expected? I suspect this is summat to do with a configuration file somewhere.....but I don't like the look of those segfaults.

Mike. Wink

rg66

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 08:16    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Was that what you expected? I suspect this is summat to do with a configuration file somewhere.....but I don't like the look of those segfaults.

Mike. Wink

It was something easy to try but I didn't expect much. Check the md5sum of your /usr/bin/xfdesktop, the one from the ISO is 6440fd225247b01e048b29355ed23707

rg66

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 03:39    Post subject:  

X-slacko-4.3 is available for download

Barring any major bugs, this will be the last release of the 4.x series

Download ISO and md5
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/

Download delta and md5
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/delta/

Changelog
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/change_log.txt

Marv

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017, 11:19    Post subject:  

First go of 4.3 is all good here. Frugal Grub4Dos install on my 'new Laughing ' i5 based laptop. Ran first without savefile, cleaned the savefile and updated from 4.2 to 4.3, first with the stock kernel and then swapping in the 4.1.31 I've used with the X- series for some time now. No glitches at all with display, sound, connection, suspends noted. Ran Palemoon but using Slimjet 15.0.4.0 shared with the other pups in the kennel.

System: Host: X-Slacko Kernel: 4.1.31 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4
Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.3.2
Machine: Device: laptop System: FUJITSU product: LIFEBOOK S761 serial: R1Y00453
Mobo: FUJITSU model: FJNB225
UEFI [Legacy]: FUJITSU // Phoenix v: Version 1.17 date: 03/14/2012
Battery CMB1: charge: 63.6 Wh 95.0% condition: 67.0/67.0 Wh (100%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
clock speeds: max: 2501 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz
4: 800 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.31
Network: Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
IF: eth0 state: down mac: b0:99:28:cf:30:51
Card-2: Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
driver: ath9k
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: e0:ca:94:6f:ee:ee
Drives: HDD Total Size: 64.0GB (16.3% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_SSD_830 size: 64.0GB
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 270 Uptime: 12:46 Memory: 197.1/2854.3MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.7

Annie sez hi, hoorah, and thanks,
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   252.44 KB
 Viewed   189 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 08:09    Post subject:  

Hi rg66 & marv,

1) Wanted to ask, from trying repeatedly this morning before heading to work, it just me or does 4.3 have a problem/glitch in creating a "savefile" after frugally booting up? Tried ~4-5 times, with the ISO downloaded & verified twice to make sure it wasn't corrupt. It would go thru all screens and appearance of proper motions in creating the savefile, but go to boot it all back up, there is/was no savefile created in the frugal folder (and/or anywhere on the drive). So....???

2) Also, another issue: in the initial frugal bootup tests I did, Thunar grabbed random directories outside itself (I've external hard drives, thumbdrives and such) and when it mounted some of them, Thunar would randomly "lock" them whole, and/or randomly "lock" directories, refusing to give me root access no matter what I set in Thunar Advanced section (it even refused chmod commands). These external drives, thumbdrives, etc are currently swapped across many puppies and ddogs, and there is no problem like this, as they are all 'root'.

Thanks.
Page 78 of 80 [1190 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: