Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

#881 Post by rerwin »

I have "fine tuned" the glibc 2.19 interface and seamonkey 2.46 packages to make transitioning from SM 2.48 back to SM 2.46 reliable. I updated the above links to glibc219_runtime-lucid and SM 2.46-update to new versions.

Now, SM 2.46 runs with or without the glibc219_runtime-lucid package installed, even if the latter has been used previously (say, for 2.48). However, if you want/need to avoid using glibc 2.19, you can rename /usr/bin/seamonkey.bak to seamonkey. That links to /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey instead of the new glibc interface scripts.

I recommend that anyone considering reverting to 2.46 update your version of glibc219_runtime-lucid (or the old glibc_subset-2.19-lucid), to ensure consistant behavior when changing versions of seamonkey between 2.46 and 2.48+.

To summarize the functions of the seamonkey and glibc packages:HTH

EDIT 8/14/17: These 4 packages are now in the puppylinux lucid repo and are available with the Puppy Package Manager. Thank you, peebee.
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 22:15, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#882 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Richard.

I figure this is probably the best place to ask this. I'm kinda 'consolidating' things across the kennels, and was wondering; is there any screen-recording app for Lucid (similar to SimpleScreenRecorder)?

I'm afraid I've never been much of one for CLI interfaces (a GUI of some kind is far preferable for me), and as for attempting to compile SSR for Lucid, well.....my compiling 'skills' are absolutely abysmal. I thought it would be far simpler to ask the 'head honcho', as it were! :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I originally installed Lucid around 15 months ago, in order to try and help TwoPuppies get SlimJet running in Lucid.....a task at which we had no joy in the final outcome, 'cos it's the old story of the glibc again, y'see. I've actually installed battleshooter's 'glibc220' fix (originally for Racy & Carolina), and it's enabled me to get certain things running (scabz's SMPlayer 14.9.0 being one that comes to mind), but, try as I might, I cannot get a later Chrome than version 26 (or later Chromium-based browser of any kind, come to that) 'up-and-running' in Lucid. The fix I've employed in Racy has allowed me to run the final 32-bit Linux Chrome release, 48.0.2564.116.....which I run across all my 32-bit Pups from a remote data partition, sym-linked into each Pup at the appropriate places (courtesy of davids45's thread on the matter). I keep getting a 'g_bytes_unref' error in the terminal, even with the glibc 'upgrade'. Any ideas?

I've rather fallen for Lucid, I must admit! Oh, one other thing, while I think about it. Google Earth, while it does run, displays all kinds of 'artifacts'; radial lines centering on wherever your mouse focus happens to be when you're zooming in.....and 'map tile displacement', too. (That's the best description I can give it.)

It appears to be complaining about the version of OpenGL being too old for it; it wants OpenGL 2.0 or later. Lucid is using, what? 1.75, I think? Is there any way this could be 'upgraded', too? I don't even know if it's possible, and I haven't got a clue what 'modules', or libs, or whatever, would be involved. I've installed the Xorg_High graphics driver, which has helped a little.....but the 'artifacts' remain.....

(I don't think it's anything to do with the integrated ATI Radeon XPress 200 graphics chip on my big old Compaq desktop; it runs the later 7-series Google Earths in both Tahr64 and Xenialpup 7081, which I've recently repackaged, without so much as a peep of complaint! Although I've actually 'standardised' on the same GE as Lucid's, 6.0.3.2197, in all my Pups; it seems to suit my hardware better than the the 7-series. It was the first with the 'Street View' feature, yet isn't as 'heavy' or demanding as the later releases.)

Mike. :wink:

rerwin

#883 Post by rerwin »

Mike Walsh,
Thanks for your inquiry. I am not aware of any screen-recording app for Lucid, But, then, I never looked for one.

Interesting that you mention your glibc upgrade to get some apps working in racy. Now that I have adapted watchdog's glibc 2.19 technique to keep Seamonkey working in Lucid, I have been wondering what other programs might be made usable with 2.19.

I would consolidate all special interfaces to 2.19 in the new glibc-runtime package. If you are interested in making anything else work in lupu with glibc-runtime 2.19, let's work on it. Or maybe I need to replace 2.19 with 2.20, to satisfy SSR.

As for OpenGL, I know nothing about it, so would need assistance from someone more knowledgeable of it. I suspect it would take a bit of experimentation to get it to work, or at least find why it might not be possible.
Richard

Mike Walsh

#884 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo again, Richard.

You know, I have to say I admire you for keeping Lucid viable.....given that all the original repositories are long gone..! I may package stuff, and help newbs out with enquiries.....simply giving others the benefits of my own Puppy experience, but in no way do I consider myself any kind of an expert. I consider myself to be a 'bumbler', and an 'eternal noob'; there's always something else to discover, isn't there?

Well, if there ain't a screen-recording app available for Lucid, I shall have to scour the web and see what I can turn up; maybe I can discover something that might work under WINE.....who knows? We shall see, we shall see.

Vis-a-vis the 'glibc' stuff, TBH, I didn't really expect it to work for Lucid at all.....but it surprised me. True, it made things work that I hadn't really considered, but 'every little bit helps', as they say..!

As for the 'OpenGL' stuff, well.....it may be opening a right can of worms. I'm going to do some more research into this, and see what turns up. I'll keep you informed.

watchdog

#885 Post by watchdog »

I did some progress. The following simplescreenrecorder-0.3.3-glibc219tweak.pet, based on the tahr package, is somehow working for me in lucid:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

Use qt-4.8.0 by pemasu:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 518#637518

I have packaged it as sfs. qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup.sfs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

Mike Walsh

#886 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, watchdog.

I'm......well; speechless, mate, is one way of putting it. I wasn't fishing for anybody to attempt that, but it's very much appreciated!

I trawled the web thoroughly last night; found no end of screen-recording apps. None of the Windows ones will run under WINE (no surprise there), and many of the Linux ones are source-code only, and need compiling. My skills in that area are abysmal, I'm sorry to say..... :oops:

I did find one likely-looking candidate, however. ScreenStudio.

http://screenstudio.crombz.com/

It's apparently more for 'vloggers' (video 'bloggers'?) than anyone else, but it does have a screen-recording function as part of its operation. It's Java-based; no biggie, as I have JRE installed for my package of the OpenStreetMaps 'Cruiser' app that Phil B. linked to here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 746#943746

.....and which I posted about here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110875

Richard's own 'GetJava' app for Puppy works a treat!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ScreenStudio starts up no problem; you can set everything up as explained in the instructions link, but it just won't actually run. It's supposed to start/stop from the icon in the systray, but I wasn't getting any joy with it. Probably doesn't like the JWM taskbar/tray.....it will have been set up for Ubuntu's 'Unity'. (Damn..!!)

It's based around 'ffmpeg'; specifically, the version from 16.04 LTS 'Xenial Xerus'. So I tried it in Xenialpup, naturally.....

So near....and yet so far. :roll: (*sheesh*)

I'm currently having a major re-shuffle of my main hard drive, so when I get things back where I want them, I'll give your packages a try in Lucid, and see how I get on. I'll keep ya posted, mate.

Cheers.

mikeslr

Screen Recording in Lupu

#887 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

I don't want to discourage current efforts. But it seems you used the wrong google. :)

Lobster's front end for ffmpeg: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 319#613319. Of course, read the whole 3 page thread.

Which also includes Pelo's mention of xvidcap. As far as I know, xvidcap 1.17 will function in almost any Pup. The catch is to get it to record sound as well.

Can't find the post about it, but fortunately I stored a note:

"I had success, getting my microphone to work with xvidcap, by changing
the default input device, from /dev/dsp, to /dev/audio.

& Open Alsamixer, click tab & make sure both capture devices are
unmuted

Hi Guys:

I was playing with Xvidcap. It's never had a problem recording video. But it
wasn't recording audio. A well-minded search revealed that muggins suggested
the default setting of /dev/dsp should be changed to /dev/audio0. See link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 417#511417

I made that change and it appears to work in all Puplets, although it may also
be necessary to make certain that the capture device(s) are not muted.

Many people installing xvidcap may just figure sound doesn't work and leave it
at that.

I haven't been able to figure out who builds/maintains xvidcap for Puppy.
So I thought it best to alert those who evaluate what pets go into repos (and Lobster
who has expressed an interest in audio/video recording). /dev/audio0 should be
set as default in the build, especially as manually changing the default is
obscure and prone to error."

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#888 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm. Looks interesting, Mike.

I've read the thread, but I'm still no closer to figuring out where you actually 'install' it to..... /root/my-applications/bin, perhaps? And where does the resulting video get saved to? /Root, I would think..... And what 'format' is the file in? Hmm. Details, details... Actually, scratch that. The only thing I'm not clear on is the relationship between the 'rs' script, and this 'recdesk' mentioned at the very bottom of the pup_rec script.

(Wouldn't take no doing to knock up a menu entry for it, neither.....)

Canst thou perchance enlighten me, young sir? :lol: You've been knocking around Puppyland a wee bit longer than me, mate; I'm betting there's more stored up there in your noggin than you're letting on..!

(Or scattered around your desk, scribbled on various bits o' paper... :) )

Mike Walsh

#889 Post by Mike Walsh »

Yay! SUCCESS...

Cheers, watchdog. You've done it again, mate. SSR 0.3.3 is working perfectamente in Lucid. You have surpassed yourself, mi amigo... :D

(And that's good, too, because it hasn't 'interfered' with battleshooter's 'glibc220' stuff I installed to get other things working. Nice one!)

For anybody else wanting SimpleScreenRecorder for Lucid 5287, follow this link >>>--------->

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 352#964352

---------------------------------------------

@Richard:-

There you go, mate. SimpleScreenRecorder for Lucid, courtesy of our good friend watchdog. I'd grab this, and stick it in your repos quick, like.....before he changes his mind!

(Not that I think he will...) All helps to keep Lucid more viable than ever. Love it!

Mike. :D :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 23:55, edited 2 times in total.

mikeslr

#890 Post by mikeslr »

Great that watchdog created the simplescreenrecorder pet. Nice work, Watchdog. :D

Tahrpup and Slacko 5.7 became my usual OSes a couple years ago. I'm not sure I ever used Lobster's front end to ffmpeg. Nor am I sure I got sound to record under xvidcap more than once using muggins' recommendations. And that once was running Saluki. Really don't do screenrecordings often.

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#891 Post by Mike Walsh »

Oh, don't get me wrong, Mike. Tahr64 and Xenialpup 7081 are my standard daily drivers most of the time. Often I'll decide on 570 (or 571) for a change. But just occasionally, I like to be a wee bit nostalgic. So I'll go with Racy or Lucid for the day. And I want to be able to stay there, all day.....and get on with my regular stuff. Which means I tend to run the same range of apps in every Pup.....so's it doesn't matter which one I'm running, it shouldn't make any difference.

I'm nothing if not consistent, me..!! :lol: We all have our favourites, don't we?

The 'other' Mike. :wink:

tallboy

#892 Post by tallboy »

Mike Walsh wrote:...and get on with my regular stuff. Which means I tend to run the same range of apps in every Pup.....so's it doesn't matter which one I'm running, it shouldn't make any difference.
You make a good point there, Mike, I think a great number of us do exactly what you describe.
I have many times wondered if I should remaster Lucid really tough, to make it just a basic tool. I could keep only Palemoon, Geany, Abiword, galculator, Xpdf, pdftk, Notecase and xpad and throw away the rest. That way a relatively compact Puppy would cover 90% of my daily tasks. Very efficient, but of course - equally boring. :lol:
The principles in the different versions on Lazy could be an alternative, keep a small puppy with the basic stuff, and load .sfs'es when you need something extra.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Mike Walsh

#893 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, tallboy.
tallboy wrote:You make a good point there, Mike, I think a great number of us do exactly what you describe.
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured, y'know. I tend to chop & change from one Pup to another, as & when the mood dictates; they all have their own unique characters. But what I said earlier will always hold true; I generally perform a regular number of operations on varying items throughout the day, day in, day out. So I need the same range of progs/apps in each and every Pup. And, thanks to davids45's discovery of, and description as to how he implements it:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99388

.....I, too, run a number of apps remotely from a 'data' partition, sym-linked into each and every Pup where Puppy expects to find them....for one, simple reason. Running several Puppies, it cuts down on duplication, and wasted disk space.

After all, you can only run one instance of a particular item at any given moment in time on the SAME machine.....can't you?

rerwin

Palemoon Installer and Palemoon SSE for Lucid Pups

#894 Post by rerwin »

I have created PET packages for Palemoon tailored for lucid 5.2.8.7. The Installer allows the user to install Palemoon and, later, update it to newer versions. For really old PCs (with CPUs Intel Pentium 3 and Pentium3m; AMD Athlon-4, Athlon-xp and Athlon-mp; and VIA C3-2) I built an installer-compatible version of Walter Dnes' SSE variant of Palemoon 27.4.2. To install and use the Palemoon browser:-
  • - Start the installer from menu > Internet > Palemoon Installer.
    - Select "Install Palemoon" and click 'OK'.
    - When the installer window reappears, click any button (Cancel, X or OK (without any selection)) to exit it.
    - To run Palemoon, click the 'browse' icon or menu > Internet > Palemoon web browser.
To check for updates:
  • - Start the installer from menu > Internet > Palemoon Updater.
    - Select "Update Palemoon" and click 'OK'.
    - When the installer window reappears, click any button (Cancel, X or OK (without any selection)) to exit it.
The palemoon SSE package can be used with or without installing the palemoon installer package, which is not to be used for updating Palemoon SSE -- it would update with the regular version of Palemoon, which would not work on those old PCs. Be sure to first uninstall any previous version of a palemoon package before installing 27.4.2. To retain your user data (/root/.moonchild productions) directory, temporarily rename it, uninstall, then restore the original name.

The packages do not include the (/root/.moonchild productions); they use an existing one or create a new one.
To upgrade the SSE variant: Note that the first use of Palemoon will show some Palemoon start pages and a pop-up regarding making Palemoon the default browser. But on the next use, the familiar Lucid Puppy start page will display without the pop-up (unless the installer package is not installed). Palemoon is automatically set as the browser activated by the 'browse' desktop icon.

As usual, please report any problems with these packages.
Richard

Pelo

if capture not activated in retrovol, no sound

#895 Post by Pelo »

tallboy, throw away the rest, is it worth the pain. Apps are not even 10 MB if you put apart browser.
How could people not find a screen-caster, what are all topics made for.. Xvidcap and audio recording.. incredible it's ready for use, just make sure capture is activated in retrovol and alsamixer. SSR is the best, but the same, if capture not activated in retrovol, no sound.
Attachments
apps.jpg
Remove useless libraries would be the most efficient.. not easy
(72.43 KiB) Downloaded 467 times

rerwin

Seamonkey browsers for next Lucid Pup release

#896 Post by rerwin »

I have been "polishing" support for the newest Seamonkey browsers for Lucid Pup 5.2.8.7. I updated the announcement pages above with the links to the new versions of the affected packages and summarize them here: The Seamonkey packages retain any previous user data but otherwise create new data and rely on glibc219_runtime-lucid to preset the home page and eliminate an ineffective "set as default" pop-up window. During installation, Seamonkey is always set as the default browser (when chosen in lucid pups).
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

THX1138

#897 Post by THX1138 »

I tried to install bluetooth packages using the package manager and it gave error suggesting that the repositories have been taken offline for Lucid Puppy. How do I install all the bluetooth stuff I'll need to use a bluetooth remote control with a Belkin F8T009 USB Bluetooth adapter?

Burn_IT

#898 Post by Burn_IT »

Did you read about the recent revelations about security (lack of) in Bluetooth
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rerwin

#899 Post by rerwin »

THX1138 wrote:I tried to install bluetooth packages using the package manager and it gave error suggesting that the repositories have been taken offline for Lucid Puppy.
An error will occur if you attempt to install/download packages from the old lucid ubuntu repositories. They have been removed by the ubuntu project. Only the "old-releases.ubuntu.com" repo, at the end of the list, will work. I will remove those that will never work again.

Is that the kind of error message you saw?

rerwin

SM 2.48 display seems unreliable, so I reverted to SM 2.46

#900 Post by rerwin »

For my main and development pupsave environments I had to revert to SM 2.46, because the list distortions in 2.48 made it impossible to navigate my email. The browser's distortions seemed to be random, but were too annoying. If one does not use the SM email, this might be the time to switch to palemoon, using the palemoon installer -- if we can find a way to transfer bookmarks and passwords to it.

To restore some sort of support for email, has anyone succeeded in building new version of sylpheed for lucid and resolved missing dependencies? Both 3.4.1 and 3.5.1 (precise) need additions. Watchdog's glibc219 solution helps with 3.5.1, but lacks libssl and libcrypto for glib 2.15 (or 2.19?). Sylpheed 3.4.1 needs a newer version pf GNUpg. If we can get some version of sylpheed newer than 3.1.4 working, I would add it to the next release.
Richard