Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 25 Apr 2019, 19:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 97 [1452 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 95, 96, 97 Next
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 02:44    Post subject:  

Oh Dear!!.....

Keypad and arrow keys do not work in locale selection.....

Ended up in live system with a keyboard typing rubbish....
Quote:
;qbyurso.6
-kcdtheaz
'xgvwni
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   172.74 KB
 Viewed   978 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

belham2

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 03:06    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
Personally, I don't even really see the need for a config file (or the gui for that matter).

I prefer to list the packages inside the script, make comments with notes about what I've added or removed and why, give that version of the script a name to keep track of what it is (e.g. mklive-gui-v5chrome), and then run it.

But, whatever Fred wants. . .

I just feel like you all are "splitting hairs" here, so to speak. Some want this, some want that. Rcrsn51 reinforced that to me in how he'd like to keep things. The beauty of the script is its up to user how they want to do things. Dancytron saves different scripts, mklive-stretchgui-v1, mklive-stretchv2, etc, etc. For me, I think that is crazy and introduces not only added tracking but unecessary complexity. I personally have one mklive-stretchgui that is accompanied by a leafpad.txt file. In that leafpad.txt file is every configuration of every build I've done, organized by 'category' or 'entry' location, thus allowing me to look at it all builds at once instead of opening up many diff scripts to look at what I did on various builds. From this leafpad.txt file, I can just simply highlight & copy for placement into my one mklive-stretchgui when I want to try a new variation and/or version of a build. And this .txt file, I can share easily to anyone showing all different types of build. But, Dancytron's method works just as well. What am I trying to say is you all are "splitting hairs" here over something uneccessary. How about let's focus energies, i.e. discussions, on helping Fred find bugs, find oversights, rather than how we approach a script whose beauty lies in its ability to be approached & adapted however a person who is using it wants. Just a suggestion.

@peebee---interesting about the keyboard thing---I have only used the selection of "English (US) - English (US, with euro on 5)" (I'm up to about ~15 builds now, endlessly trying variations on what works and what doesn't). I will try a build today with what you chose and see if it does the same thing for me. Can I ask what you used to do the build? Was it on a ddog or trinity or tahr or your lxpupsc or lxpupxenial? Since I keep all them up to date in a dedicated external hard drive that I plug in to whatever I am using, I just want to make sure to use the same OS as you did for the build to see if I can reproduce the same error on either the laptop and/or the desktop systems.
sc02f

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 03:18    Post subject:  

Hi Fredx181 and all,

How can I build Stretch Live with google chrome as my default browser?
I try to push google-chrome/chromium but I got error "unlocated package".

Can I have something like cpufreq to control cpu speed (like debiandog have a script on init.d to control that thing).

Can I change the kernel to 4.10 or 4.12?

Sorry about my English. Thanks in advanced.
wiak

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 03:21    Post subject:  

Actually, making yad a dependency of the script is also 'unnecessary'. It is not splitting hairs to wish the script was kept as simple as possible in terms of needed dependencies. Having yad is nice (when available) but better is use of commandline switches to activate that part of the code and only when yad is on the system. But for me it makes no big deal since like most of us used to scripting we adopt and adapt anyway. Most non-scripting users probably like having the GUI and using leafpad to store configs is a perfectly good approach to keeping different configs for cutting and pasting I feel.

More important is indeed finding and fixing bugs and trying to write the script in a way that makes it easy to expand when needed and easy to maintain - these are the issues I'd address. For example, better not to have hard-coded variables much of the time - might want xenial rather than stretch so that should be a variable.

Also modularisation into smaller specific functions makes maintenance and expansion easier (all still in one script fine). It is basically working now so I do feel most energy should go into making it more general purpose (xenial not just stretch and so on) so replace hard-coded names and make them variables.

But not my script and I'm sure in time Fred will come to address such matters anyway. No script is ever perfect or finished for that matter... and that is why how the script is organised is ultimately very important indeed.

wiak
dancytron

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 03:54    Post subject:  

sc02f wrote:
Hi Fredx181 and all,

How can I build Stretch Live with google chrome as my default browser?
I try to push google-chrome/chromium but I got error "unlocated package".

Can I have something like cpufreq to control cpu speed (like debiandog have a script on init.d to control that thing).

Sorry about my English. Thanks in advanced.

I am the unofficial Chrome guy so I'll answer the Chrome question.

Remove the firefox-esr-* entry and in its place put "google-chrome-stable" that should install the correct chrome package.

Boot it up after it is built. If you pick Chrome from the menu, you will get the "Chrome won't run as boot" error. You have a couple of choices.

1. In /user/local/bin, there are two little scripts. One is called chrome-root.sh. Select it, go to edit-create link and put the link on the desktop. When you click on it then Chrome will run with a nasty message saying you shouldn't be running with -no--sandbox. But it runs fine. If you want to get fancy, you can create a *.desktop file for the script to put it in the menu and give it an icon, but it isn't necessary.
2. Install gksu (or put it in the build to start with). Use the add user function to add a user called "puppy". There is a little script in /usr/local/bin called chrome-puppy.sh. It will run Chrome from root as the user puppy. You can create a *.desktop for it if you want.
3. Create a new user called whatever you want to call it. Log in as that user. Run Chrome normally from there.

Last edited by dancytron on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 04:05; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 03:56    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
@peebee---Can I ask what you used to do the build?

Building on LxPupSc....
Rune: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH= && ./mklive-stretchgui.sh 2>&1 | tee mklive-stretch.log

Keypad/arrow keys worked fine on previous non-gui incarnations of the script....

wiak

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 04:05    Post subject:  

So most of my own comments are to do with stylistic issues to ensure the script is easily maintainable and expandable.

We shouldn't forget, for example, the earlier build-debian-system efforts by forum member emil (using/modding code, as emil says, from Thierry Monteil):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91832

Whilst that project of emil's is now over, it is good to check out how he arranged things in modular fashion and with variables for key items rather than hard-coded. One thing I am surprised about is that it didn't itself seem to use debootstrap program from Debian (that I now note Will Haley does), which has been around for ten years or more. I'm admittedly more interested in the build script design than the final product produced by it, whereas most users just probably want to conveniently build DebianDogs, which is more sensible...:

https://github.com/emilwidmann/Debian-light-builder/blob/master/build.sh

Note that script was licensed GPLv2 or greater. Not sure about Fred's current script - what license is it under?

I note that emil (or Thierry) used (sourced) external configs:

Code:
### Configuration loading
for config in default "${@}" ; do
    . "${BASE_DIR}/config/${config}"
done

It's a pity really that Tony and Fred didn't join forces with emil back then and develop DebianDog via scripting methods back at that time, but better late than never! Wink

wiak

EDIT: But I must say, Fred's build script is the best of all of them (including woof-CE, which is complex) in terms of overall readability in the important sense of showing how the whole build works (and to a large extent that's because it is all in one script), so stylistic fine details are a small matter and easily addressed later IMO.

Last edited by wiak on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 06:14; edited 8 times in total
sc02f

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 04:07    Post subject:  

Thanks dancytron for the information.
I miss stable on package name Smile.
wiak

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 07:03    Post subject:  

One thing emil's github page did draw me to that I think is of great interest to save bandwidth when making multiple test builds with mklive-stretch:

https://github.com/emilwidmann/Debian-light-builder
Quote:
Consider using apt-cacher
-------------------------

To save bandwidth, it is advised to use the package apt-cacher ::

sudo apt-get install apt-cacher

More details of apt-catcher can be found, for example, here:

https://www.howtoforge.com/debian-packages-proxy-with-apt-cacher

From above, I'm currently testing it in 'daemon' autostart mode.

For my initial tests, I have simply started a localhost busybox httpd webserver with terminal entered command:

Code:
busybox httpd &

I then check the apt-cacher for a report by pointing my browser at:

Code:
http://localhost:3142/apt-cacher/report

To check all is fine, just go to:

http://localhost:3142/apt-cacher/

(can't tell you more since just checking it out myself just now...)

Quote:

Apt-cacher version 1.7.11: Daemon mode
Usage:

Edit /etc/apt/apt.conf to include the configuration

Acquire::http::proxy=http://xenial64:3142

Alternatively, edit /etc/apt/sources.list so all your HTTP sources are prepended with the address of your apt-cacher machine and the port, like this:

deb http://example.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

becomes

deb http://xenial64:3142/example.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

Yes, I'm currently using xenialdog64 so maybe that won't work with caching apt-get stuff for stretch, but where there is a will there is a way...

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/apt-cacher

wiak

EDIT: I'm currently getting error messages in /var/log/apt-cacher/errors.log and nothing else, sigh... If anyone gets this going usefully, please let me know how since it would be really great to cache stretch build debs automatically.
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 08:19    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
belham2 wrote:

Building on LxPupSc....
Rune: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH= && ./mklive-stretchgui.sh 2>&1 | tee mklive-stretch.log

Keypad/arrow keys worked fine on previous non-gui incarnations of the script....

Hi Peebee,

Well, I am having trouble reproducing this. Used an amd desktop, with an external HD attached that has your latest LxPupSc frugal-installed on it (along with other frugal-installed pups, dogs, debians, and other stuff), setup the script in a new partition, ran it, everything built and the ISO was put in a frugal folder, it too booted up, and the whole time I never saw any keyboard issues. When I get home (have the same setup at home except laptops are there too), I am going to run it all again using a laptop to do the build and see if that makes a difference. On the desktop, I smacked the keypad/arrow keys every which way but loose before, during and after with the script, and they all worked like they should. I'll try it again tonight.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 12:35    Post subject:  

This is the YASSM Samba client tool ported from Puppy.

It is listed in the Network/Internet menu as "YASSM Samba share mounter".

The instructions are here.

The dependencies are cifs-utils, smbclient, arp-scan, pnscan. Unfortunately, the Debian packages are rather large compared to their Puppy equivalents.

Remove the fake .gz extension.

----------------------------

Just to be clear, YASSM is a Samba CLIENT tool. If you also want to run a Samba SERVER, you have two choices:

a. Get Samba from Synaptic. This will install the full enterprise version with far more stuff than you need.
b. Get a basic package that is sufficient for home use. Here are the steps:

1. Download and extract the combo package here. Click the green DOWNLOAD button. It contains 32/64bit versions of the Samba4 Basic server and the Samba4 Control Panel app. Install the appropriate version of the server.

2. Here is an important concept: Samba has its own set of users, in addition to the users managed by the OS. Before starting the server, perform these two steps:

a. From the System Tools menu, run Add New User. Create the Stretch user "guest" with password "guest". (The Samba guest user has been pre-configured.)

b. Change the password on the Samba "root" user. This will prevent remote clients from logging into your Samba server with full root privileges. From the command line, run
Code:
smbpasswd root

3. Install the Control Panel. Look for it in the Internet menu. See the instructions here for the Puppy version.

Note: The Samba4 Control Panel setup creates a ready-to-use share /root/SambaShare. It requires authentication by a client - with the "guest" user (for read-only) or with "root" (for read-write).

----------------------
yassm_4.5-1.deb.gz
Description  Updated 2019-01-04
Some code cleanup
gz

Download 
Filename  yassm_4.5-1.deb.gz 
Filesize  7.28 KB 
Downloaded  12 Time(s) 

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 15 Jan 2019, 08:18; edited 25 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 14:12    Post subject:  

@jd7654

Quote:
On this Intel laptop which failed suspend/resume: (echo mem > /sys/power/state)

For info: For me `echo mem > /sys/power/state` works fine on DebLive-Stretch64 build (on a HP laptop)

Quote:
Might instead group them more like this:
Code:
Base Install:
wget net-tools ifupdown wireless-tools sysvinit-core xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg psmisc fuse x11-utils x11-xserver-utils dbus-x11 busybox sudo mawk xinit xterm pciutils usbutils file rsync dosfstools volumeicon-alsa alsa-utils pm-utils xdotool wmctrl desktop-file-utils mime-support cryptsetup-bin squashfs-tools fakeroot xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Base Applications Install:
gparted parted pv synaptic viewnior firefox-esr pfind conky

Desktop Environment Install:
openbox obconf pcmanfm lxpanel lxrandr lxinput lxappearance leafpad

Well, for me the meaning of 'Base install' was more something like "Do not touch unless you know exactly what you're doing" (specially removing)
But the user should be better informed about that
Anyway I see what you mean about what are really 'Applications'

@dancytron

Assuming you used this Stretchdog 64, from where the build produces old save2flash:
https://github.com/fredx181/StretchDog/releases/download/v2.0/StretchDog64-2017-07-04.iso
I did my tests from that and cannot reproduce the problem.
So the mystery remains.
Only thing I can think of is your special grub4dos setup booting with from=/stretch/isodata, that creates some sort of conflicting situation maybe (just guessing). (or/and on any other partition with same folder structure)
Still curious about how this can happen, so if you solve the mystery at some day, please share! (maybe something that happens only one in a million times)

@belham2
Quote:
I just feel like you all are "splitting hairs" here, so to speak.

Well, I asked for suggestions about how to setup configurations.
But indeed, fixing bugs are also important

@peebee
Quote:
peebee wrote:
belham2 wrote:

Building on LxPupSc....

Hi Peebee,

Well, I am having trouble reproducing this.

Me too, and I can't think of anything that has changed (compared to the older CLI script) that may cause your situation. I thought first it could have to do with the piping to tee, so tested that, but keyboard layout choosing works ok for me.
Did you test without piping to tee ?

@sc02f
Quote:

Yes, add "cpufrequtils" to install list

Quote:

No, Debian stable 4.9 only.

@all
I will leave the script setup as it is for some time (only bug fixing), I do have some ideas though, like: save and load config button on the yad GUI or/and e.g. run the script with parameter -g for the GUI, if parameter "-c xxx.conf" don't show GUI, but load that config file etc..
The GUI is nice, but it can be a pain if you want very different setup to make the changes everytime.
It's obvious to me that everyone has his own way of using the script, so having choices how to use would be nice.

No real plans yet, just contemplating and need to find the time and energy to sort all out. (and read some more again discussion about the config setup)

Fred
jd7654

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 16:51    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
I will leave the script setup as it is for some time (only bug fixing), I do have some ideas though, like: save and load config button on the yad GUI or/and e.g. run the script with parameter -g for the GUI, if parameter "-c xxx.conf" don't show GUI, but load that config file etc..
The GUI is nice, but it can be a pain if you want very different setup to make the changes everytime.
It's obvious to me that everyone has his own way of using the script, so having choices how to use would be nice.

+1 Those changes sound good to me. Yeah, you can never please everyone, but that seems like a good compromise.
wiak

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug 2017, 03:54    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

Just wanting a piece of information to complete my understanding if you could please oblige.

I note that initrdport contains the filesystem structure for the initrd from Porteus (makes sense...).

Question 1: Just wondered what you had to do to use that internal fanthom-written linuxrc script with DebianDog systems. Or was it simply a matter of copying the appropriate modules for the particular DebianDog kernel into initrdport/lib/modules before compressing it all up again into initrd.xz and just then using that. Or were there some other alterations required in the initrdport filesystem (e.g. to internal script linuxrc; there is no 'changes log' inside the script though I suppose I could use diff with the original) and if so, what exactly?

Question 2: Is it possible to boot using a Puppy initrd to effect a changes to folder (a facility many Puppies also provide)?

wiak
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug 2017, 04:46    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
Question 2: Is it possible to boot using a Puppy initrd to effect a changes to folder (a facility many Puppies also provide)?

Everything is possible if you really like to do it.
You need to include /lib/modules/$(uname -r) from the official distro initrd.img inside /lib/modules in initrd.gz (puppy-boot). The scripts changes:
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Wheezy/tree/master/puppy-boot
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Wheezy/blob/master/puppy-boot/DISTRO_SPECS
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Wheezy/commits/master/puppy-boot/sbin/switch
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Wheezy/commits/master/puppy-boot/init

Example puppy-boot initrd.gz for DebianDog-Squeeze only for now (but tested to work with Wheezy and Jessie after changing /lib/modules inside):
https://github.com/MintPup/DebianDog-Squeeze/releases/download/v.2.1/initrd.gz
Example boot code for frugal install on sda1 inside /live folder:
Code:
title DebianDog-Puppy
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 pmedia=atahd psubdir=live
 initrd /live/initrd.gz

Loading ydrv and adrv (see the names in DISTRO_SPECS above) works. Save in debdogsave folder or debdogsave file works (choice if both exist in /live), copy to RAM works. Properly creates /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE which means all puppy scripts could be adapted. All DebianDog special scripts work because it creates symlinks to /live/image and /live/cow

Problems I know of: boot from frugal on NTFS partition ends with respawing messages from limited testing. Works well from ext or vfat partitions.

Maybe you will be interested how to boot Puppy with official Debian kernel someday. Also possible:
https://github.com/MintPup/Puppy-Linux/tree/master/Debian-kernel

Toni

Page 22 of 97 [1452 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 95, 96, 97 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: