How-to; Getting SimpleScreenRecorder to work in Racy 5.5

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mike Walsh

How-to; Getting SimpleScreenRecorder to work in Racy 5.5

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

I've been consolidating things across the kennels, part of which has included reducing the occupants from 10 down to 8. I no longer feel I need so many Pups, and most of my 'testing' days are now behind me!

I'm also attempting to standardise apps across all Pups, too. One of these is SimpleScreenRecorder. I know there's various command-line solutions (and front-ends) based on ffmpeg, but I've got kinda used to S.S.R by now...

There were only two Pups left where S.S.R wasn't available, in any way, shape or form. One was Lucid.....and the other was Racy 5.5. Following my query as to the availability of such an app on rerwin's Lucid thread, watchdog has come up with a 'glibc-tweaked' version of S.S.R, which gets around Lucid's ancient glibc 2.11. It's using the same glibc-2.2.0 setup that he's employed very successfully on a whole series of Mozilla-based browsers.....I'm guessing it's probably based on battleshooter's original glibc workaround for the Chromium browsers in Racy/Carolina a few years ago, with the addition of some very inspired scripting. Following a major 'spring-clean' of the hard drive this morning, and a total re-organisation of the contents (things were getting a bit sloppy!), I finally got around to trying it out in Lucid late this afternoon.

There's two packages. One is a QT4 SFS, and the other is the 'tweaked' S.S.R .pet. You can find 'em both here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 352#964352

...available from watchdog's GoogleDrive. The result? This is the 0.3.3 version, and while not Maarten Baert's most recent release, it works perfectly. Kudos, and much respect to watchdog for coming up with this; where would we all be if it weren't for guys like him?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, this all got me thinking. This only left Racy, with its equally ancient glibc, to 'sort out' with screen recording.....preferably the same one that I've gotten used to.

I've already installed battleshooter's glibc-220 workaround so I can run the last 32-bit Linux Chrome & watch NetFlix. Watchdog's package has it's own 'standalone' glibc-220 'tweak' built-in. So I thought, 'What the hell', and gave it a try in Racy.

I didn't expect it to start straight away, and I wasn't disappointed. The terminal told me there were some 'extras' still required; libtasn1.so.3 (which I borrowed from Lucid), and one I haven't run into before; libp11-kit. Lucid didn't have this, nor did any of my other Pups.....so I eventually tracked down a CentOS 6 .rpm package on pkgs.org, the Linux Packages Search site. (Very good resource, this.)

https://pkgs.org/

I've added these together to make an 'extra-libs' .pet for Racy to run SSR. Install watchdog's Qt package, followed by this 'extra-libs' .pet, then finally watchdog's tweaked SSR package itself. You can find the 'extras' .pet here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u3a7e8uju ... a-libs.pet

All things being equal, you should end up with SimpleScreenRecorder running sweetly in Racy 5.5..! And in case anybody's interested, here's a short 'test video' I made with it, of me putting SSR's entry from /usr/share/applications onto the desktop, changing the icon, and replacing another entry with this one.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8eqf6wi94 ... test-1.mp4

Just to prove it works, like...

Enjoy. Any probs with this, boys & girls, you know where to find me.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

The original tweak which inspired me was from ac2011:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 538#907538

We are all dwarfs on the shoulders of giants!

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, watchdog!

Ah, that's fair comment. I'm kinda wondering now whether ac2011 got his inspiration from battleshooter, since his 'exploit' pre-dates it by some 18 months or so. Not that it really matters; the end result is what counts, and this 'workaround' is managing to keep some of our more, shall we say, 'geriatric' Pups still useful, and enabling quite a number of pieces of elderly hardware to still remain productive. Which to my mind is all to the good; it helps to break the cycle of the 'throw-away' society that we find ourselves living in these days!

As I've said before on the Forum, I'm no 'green warrior', it's true.....but it honestly seems crazy to me to throw stuff away that's still perfectly functional (and clog up the world's landfills even worse than they are already). Witness my own 15-yr old Dell lappie (the old 1100 from 2002); if it wasn't for Linux (and Puppy in particular), she would have gone to the great scrapyard in the sky several years ago..... Alright, so it weighs a ton, mainly due to that massive battery (needed by the desktop P4 inside her), but she still works fine. And I've grown kinda fond of her, over the years.....

Keep up the good work, mate. Puppy rules, yes indeedy..!
watchdog wrote:We are all dwarfs on the shoulders of giants!
Ab-so-lutely. I couldn't agree more..!

ac2011

#4 Post by ac2011 »

watchdog wrote:The original tweak which inspired me was from ac2011:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 538#907538

We are all dwarfs on the shoulders of giants!
Thanks for the acknowledgement, watchdog. Mike, from memory Battleshooter's method was a full GlibC upgrade, which does work but can break some built-in programs and also tends to throw a lot of locale errors. So my tweak was to localise the GlibC only to one specific instance of an application, effectively sandboxing it to avoid breaking others.

The idea emerged in parallel to some chroot testing I was doing, along with the sheer bloody-mindedness of not wanting to give up on a well-functioning OS just because it happened to be old.

On that note, I'm posting this from the latest Pale Moon using a version of Puppy that still has a 2.x kernel, on a laptop that's over 10 years old. One day it'll die. One day...

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

ac2011 wrote:The idea emerged in parallel to some chroot testing I was doing, along with the sheer bloody-mindedness of not wanting to give up on a well-functioning OS just because it happened to be old.

On that note, I'm posting this from the latest Pale Moon using a version of Puppy that still has a 2.x kernel, on a laptop that's over 10 years old. One day it'll die. One day...
^^^ +1..!! Image