Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 02:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 37 of 42 [624 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 Next
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug 2017, 03:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
those values have not much to do with an actual, physical temperature
and the rest.
What part of my blurb didn't you understand!
Is there a reader who works in a fab that can enlighten us about where the diode(s) is/are positioned and what SW is intended to process their OP?
step

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug 2017, 16:43    Post subject:  

chiron² wrote:
Hello,

Has someone tried to do a MyPaint (1.2) package for FD710? I am stuck with some unresolvable error messages, claiming that a pygtkcompat cannot be found, when it is actually there. Some version conflict within Python maybe? IDK, given up on it, it's not that important.
I can't remember if anyone tried to do a MyPaint package. You can check the official and contributed package repositories with the Gslapt package manager. Start the Fatdog Control Panel, select the System tab, double click the Gslapt icon, press Ctrl+P to edit preferences, select the Source tab and add repositories (mine lists three repos: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packages/710/ - official, http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/contrib/packages/710/ - default - http://smokey01.com/fd710/packages/ - default), click OK, click the Update icon, finally enter your search term in the Search input field. "mypaint" returns nothing.

You can try and run MyPaint as an AppImage. Download the MyPaint AppImage, set the file executable, click the appimage icon in rox filer to execute it. If it doesn't run open a terminal window in the folder where the appimage file is located, and run the file from the command line. Error messages in the terminal will help you figure out what's wrong.

There's an appimage here: https://transfer.sh/OXbic/MyPaint-1.3.0-git.1a513bc.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage
It'll stay there for 3 or 4 more days. The MyPaint github site automatically builds an AppImage of the latest commit, and uploads it to transfer.sh, which has a 14 day retention policy. The latest AppImage url is listed at the end of the Travis build log here: https://travis-ci.org/mypaint/mypaint. The build log changes when the project team commit something new.

I briefly tested the above AppImage. It seemed to work BUT, all toolbar icons were blank, and I couldn't exit the application. I suggest you start it from the command-line. Before I tested I installed the gtk3 package (use Gslapt), and loaded the devx SFS (use the SFS Manager, which is found next to Gslapt in the Fatdog control panel).
Quote:

Is there a distribution where one could scavenge packages? Or is it more or less 'compile yourself'?
Fatdog packages are stored as slackware TXZ packages, but they aren't taken from slackware, they are all self-compiled. There's a thread for user-contributed packages - follow the "+packages" link in my signature.
chiron²

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug 2017, 03:12    Post subject:  

Thanks. That AppImage thing seems to be a good idea, I have some AppImages running. Would be good, if there was also a stable version of MyPaint. But I will try and see what happens.

One other issue just popped up. When I start 'Set default Soundcard' from the controlpanel, A large Window opens, telling me about XDialog and it's options. After closing this window, a small Xdialog appears 'Operation cancelled, nothing changed'.

Starting in Terminal gives the following output: (The german in the beginning means that /var/lib .../names can not be opened for reading, because file or directory not found, don't think that's part of the problem, My ThinkPad doesn't have BT)

Code:
# fatdog-default-soundcard.sh
awk: Kommandozeile:1: Fatal: Die Datei »/var/lib/bluetooth/*/names« kann nicht zum Lesen geöffnet werden (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
Xdialog: missing list parameters !
Xdialog v2.3.1 by Thierry Godefroy <xdialog@free.fr> (v1.0 was
written by Alfred at Cyberone Internet <alfred@cyberone.com.au>).
Xdialog home page available at: http://xdialog.dyns.net/

... and so on, XDialog options explained

It doesn't say in which line of code it's missing list parameters.
Probably a pretty easy one for the devs?

EDIT I commented out the line looking for the BT. That error is gone, but otherwise still the same. Tried to run without X, from CLI, the same behavior, without the XDialog error message. But still, immediately after start, 'Operation canceled, nothing changed'

Cheers

Norman
chiron²

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017, 02:39    Post subject:  

So, I tested the MyPaint AppImage, with the same results as step. Somewhat runs, but no icons in the toolbar. Background color is gray, and cannot be changed. In Xenialpup64, the AppImage works, and also displays the adequate icons in the toolbar. Some gdkpixbuf issue yet again? Since XP does not handle my graphics tablet, I will just stick around and meanwhile use the GIMP.
belham2

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017, 04:06    Post subject:  

chiron² wrote:
So, I tested the MyPaint AppImage, with the same results as step. Somewhat runs, but no icons in the toolbar. Background color is gray, and cannot be changed. In Xenialpup64, the AppImage works, and also displays the adequate icons in the toolbar. Some gdkpixbuf issue yet again? Since XP does not handle my graphics tablet, I will just stick around and meanwhile use the GIMP.

Hi Chiron Raised to the the Power of Two,

Nothing to add to the conversation here other than to ask you: how did you get that "raised to the power of two" in your name, and furthermore, how did you get the forum signup to accept it?? Did you use a special keycode, character map, and most of all what did you do to get it past the forum signup, where it allows no special characters?? Spill da beans, science-math man!! Wink
chiron²

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017, 12:14    Post subject:  

belham, don't know. forgot my PW and had a different and no more existent e-mail addi as chiron, created a new login and thought it would be nifty. So I typed the ² [Alt Gr / right ALT key]+[2] On a german Keyboard that is. Goes with the ¹ and ³, too. 4 gives ¼ and 5 ½. Probably doesn't recognize it as a special character. That one would be for one of the admins.
don570

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017, 13:10    Post subject:  

chiron wrote:
So, I tested the MyPaint AppImage, with the same results as step. Somewhat runs, but no icons in the toolbar. Background color is gray

I tested the MyPaint AppImage as well, and had reasonably good results.
There were no overhead icons, as previously mentioned but
the menus are a good substitute.

As far as a background goes , there is a menu item to set background..

Layer > Set background

What I did was set my favorite background (white)
and save an ORA file to disk as my default file.

Then to open mypaint I use the terminal

Code:
./MyPaint-1.3.0-git.1a513bc.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage  default.ora

The file opens automatically and i am ready to start.

I can use the clipboard to transfer an image to GIMP.
That I believe is a new feature!

When I tried the same appimage in Xerus 64 bit the icons showed properly!! Laughing

Viewed   221 Time(s)

screenshot-mypaint.png

Last edited by don570 on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 16:38; edited 1 time in total
don570

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017, 15:12    Post subject:  

Here's the latest appimage for Mypaint

https://transfer.sh/OXbic/MyPaint-1.3.0-git.1a513bc.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage

---------------------------------------------------------------
duckguy

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug 2017, 20:56    Post subject: Re: Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Subject description: All 64-bit

fatdog wrote:
The Fatdog Team (Kirk, James and SFR) with lots of help from step, are happy to announce the final version of Fatdog64 710. ... Enjoy.
Hi, I finally tried this again. I had tried your earlier version without much fanfare. It seems great, loading smooth, but it isn't communicating with my wifi chip.

I have an HP Pavillion G60 with a Pentium Dual-Core T4200 2GHz cpu with 2gb ram.

Also my wifi is enabled with this hardware:

Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 02)

Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:001c] (rev 01)

When I scan for networks, I get an error message: "OPERATION NOT POSSIBLE DUE TO RF-KILL"

I am in a dormitory situation, and have no access to hard-wiring an ethernet cable.

Thanks in advance, B'H.
2017-08-23_NoConnection0x.jpg
Description  "OPERATION NOT POSSIBLE DUE TO RF-KILL"
B'H.
jpg

Download 
Filename  2017-08-23_NoConnection0x.jpg 
Filesize  53.53 KB 
Downloaded  26 Time(s) 
step

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug 2017, 07:36    Post subject: Re: Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Subject description: All 64-bit

Quote:

When I scan for networks, I get an error message: "OPERATION NOT POSSIBLE DUE TO RF-KILL"

That usually means that the *physical* wifi switch is turned off. You need to locate where that switch is in your laptop. Switch it on and restart the network connection (right click the "wireless waves" icon in the tray to select.)

duckguy

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug 2017, 09:42    Post subject: Re: Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Subject description: When Scanning for Networks Error Message: "OPERATION NOT POSSIBLE DUE TO RF-KILL"

step wrote:

... usually means that the *physical* wifi switch is turned off ...
So, I have it working "sort of." Now, but not the final version ... .

To digress. I do have a "soft" switch on the top of the console, but it's never worked with any OS. This includes Tahrpup, Slacko, Wary, etc.. It just changes from an encouraging deep blue to an obstreperous scandalizing orange. Which is entertaining, at that. If it did more, it'd be downright inspiring. The color of the funny little button has no bearing on whether or not my WIFI is operational, for some reason. To continue.

After posting here in the forum, I downloaded the "710.b" version from FTP. Burned it. Booted it. Tried to set up networking. Lo and behold. It is working. I set it up with the Network Wizard. I didn't even try the WPA GUI. Now, what do I do?

What I did was to try the "710.b2" version. Downloaded it. Burned it. Booted it. Tried to set up networking. This time - the same error message as the final "710" version. The WIFI will not scan from either the WPA GUI or the Network Wizard. What now?

So, I rebooted the "710.b" disc and I am posting this reply from the Fatdog 710b OS which is working great, albeit it's a crippled beta version. Do you have any idea how I can get the regular "final" OS to recognize my WIFI hardware?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the promptness. It does not go unappreciated.

PS: My original save file was recognized by all three versions, for what it's worth. B'H.
2017-08-24-HP-G60_console_button_001.jpg
 Description   Image of HP-G60 laptop WIFI button. B'H.
 Filesize   22.33 KB
 Viewed   403 Time(s)

2017-08-24-HP-G60_console_button_001.jpg

chiron²

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:11    Post subject:  

Little follow-up on the 'fatdog-default-soundcard' problem. I extracted the file from the FD631 initrd. It definitely works in 631. I made it executable and gave it a try. The same thing happened. Obviously some XDialog related error and then 'Operation cancelled - nothing changed'. So the error does not appear to be inside the script, but rather with the installation of XDialog in FD710, I would presume? Or could it be that the script only detects one Soundcard and then exits? Would be strange, though, my (secondary) USB-soundcard does show up in hardinfo and lsusb. Any other (easy) way to configure? I'd like to use my headphone-amp again.

EDIT Never mind. Applied a cheap trick in copying over the .asoundrc from the 631 install, where the headphone amp was my default sound device. Well. It works. Now I need an .asoundrc for streaming audio over S/PDIF, and then I just switch names of the files.
mories

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug 2017, 14:12    Post subject:
Subject description: Wifi on HP

@duckguy

I had the same problem with an HP G62 (see post on page 3). My solution for 710 final: blacklist hp_wmi module
duckguy

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug 2017, 07:36    Post subject: Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Subject description: Wifi on HP

mories wrote:
@duckguy ... same problem with an HP G62 ... My solution for 710 final: blacklist hp_wmi module
Thanks! So I found the files in the /sys/module/ directory. Do I just delete the folder now? Thanks in advance. B'H.
2017-08-25_Fatdog-HPWMI_002.jpg
Description  screen shot of Pfind result, showing /sys/module/hp_wmi
jpg

Download 
Filename  2017-08-25_Fatdog-HPWMI_002.jpg 
Filesize  32.85 KB 
Downloaded  19 Time(s) 
mories

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug 2017, 15:57    Post subject:  

@duckguy
No, the correct way would be to add the boot option blacklist=hp_wmi
As indicated at http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/boot-options.html
Page 37 of 42 [624 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: