Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

#421 Post by wiak »

jd7654 wrote:
Change to /usr/local/bin/apt2sfs line 352:

Code: Select all

export SFS=$(for i in "$INSTALL"; do echo $(echo $i | sed 's| |_|g' | sed 's|=||g'); done)
sed can do several commands, one after the other, so shouldn't need to pipe into it twice. I think this should work (though haven't tried it):

export SFS=$(for i in "$INSTALL"; do echo $(echo $i | sed 's| |_|g; s|=||g'); done)
wiak

belham2

#422 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

I just wanted, as a user & neophyte builder, to say "thank you" to Fred and all of you (Peebee, rcrsn51, Toni, wiak, jd and apologies if I missed anyone). Every time I think you guys can't improve the script, it improves. And the same goes for all the build suggestions.....I gave one try of Peebee's build configuration he posted awhle back for his lxdd & my first thoughts upon seeing it boot up was: "dang, how'd he do that? And, man, my builds stink!". :wink: Then Fred clued me in reading his msg awhile back what Peebee did, so am trying to learn. This all is just great stuff. Also, I saw Toni posted in "HOW TO" section an easy way to rename all my frugal install's "live" folders, thus keeping better track and also ending any boot confusion by making myself stick to "psubdir=", something I already do for all pups.

Anyway, thanks to you all again.

Going to give the latest additions to the script a go tonight!

backi

#423 Post by backi »

Hi all you boys and girls !

You guys really make steam.Me as an old horse can barely keep up :roll:
High pressure... feels like caught in a hurricane . :lol: :lol:

fredx181

#424 Post by fredx181 »

peebee wrote:Synaptic error when trying to apply an installation request:
E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file descriptor -1
E: Unable to lock the download directory
Yes, thanks for reporting.
It's because /var/cache/apt/archives/ doesn't exist
When using apt-get it's OK, but Synaptic doesn't like it
Fixed now by creating chroot/var/cache/apt/archives/ in the script

Important bug fix
mklive-stretch script (right-click > Save link as and make executable)

Fred

backi

#425 Post by backi »

peebee wrote:
Synaptic error when trying to apply an installation request:
Quote:
E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file descriptor -1
E: Unable to lock the download directory
Had the same problem ....but just deleted /var/cache/apt/archives some xxx.bin(s) .
After doing this.... could install with Synaptic .

rcrsn51

#426 Post by rcrsn51 »

The instructions for setting up a Samba server in Stretch-Live are here.

jd7654

#427 Post by jd7654 »

wiak wrote:

export SFS=$(for i in "$INSTALL"; do echo $(echo $i | sed 's| |_|g; s|=||g'); done)
Even better. I just tacked that on to the end of the line to show the minimum change to workaround apt2sfs failure.
Never did find root cause. Saw a bunch of unprotected variables, but not sure exactly where the "=" sign was causing script to choke. That was just one workaround, there may be better.
I leave it to Fred to fix how he sees fit.

dancytron

#428 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:@dancytron
I think I found the save2flash issue.
Sure you did !
I fixed the problem by removing debdogmountscripts dependency in version 0.0.3
So now installing debdoginstallscripts will not install porteusbootscripts
Also added ~/Startup/initchanges.sh in the 0.0.3 version (will help empty tmpfs after running save2flash)
But in fact porteusbootscripts doesn't need to be installed, because these (essential) scripts are already in the build by default.
But version 0.0.3 has the logrotate option, if you want that:

apt-get install porteusbootscripts=0.0.3
Also added new version 0.0.4 to the repo that has the exact same files as included in the build.

Thanks for finding out and sorry for the inconvenience.
/snip/
No need to apologize. Finding bugs is part of the development process.

By logrotate option, you mean when you log off it asks if you want to get rid of all the old logs? So, to get full Debian Dog functionality, including the logrotate, I should include porteusbootscripts in the mklive script? Do you really mean I should install version 0.0.3 and not the newest one?

I'll test all of this today or tomorrow.

Thanks

dancytron

#429 Post by dancytron »

With the latest script, the stuff in the firmware field isn't installing. I tried cli and setup file cli.

I believe the line with firmware is missing at line 280 of the script.

I changed it to
# export final variables defined through GUI or CLI (with or without custom config)
export BASE_INSTALL="$BASE_INSTALL"
export BASE_DOG_APPS_INSTALL="$BASE_DOG_APPS_INSTALL"
export BASE_APPS_INSTALL="$BASE_APPS_INSTALL"
export DESK_APPS_INSTALL="$DESK_APPS_INSTALL"
export EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL="$EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL"
export FIRMWARE="$FIRMWARE"
export REM_AUTO_INST="$REM_AUTO_INST"
export FORCE32="$FORCE32"
What I changed is under lined and bold.

Probably won't get a chance to test it tonight.

Dan

mikeslr

Will the Grub4dos problem carry over into the DebianDogs?

#430 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this falls under the heading "Buying into problems before they materialize" or "Reading the Writing on the Wall and Preparing to meet an unavoidable problem".

Short version: As far as I can tell, grub4dos is no longer maintained. The last version on the Puppy Linux Forum was created in 2014. Although it has support for Linux Ext4, it is unable to boot operating systems from drives formatted as 64 bit Linux Ext4.

See the following problems which have recently surfaced trying to boot Puppies:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 862#964862
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111371. See, in particular, jd7654's analysis of what works, and what doesn't. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 267#965267

mikesLr

zagreb999

(stretchdog) puppy linux kernel 4.5 32 bit

#431 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

--------------------

based on debian9
(stretchdog)
puppy linux kernel 4.5
32 bit
very, very fast
full lz4
xfce-openbox
frisbee network wifi
--------------
uefi
--------------
it can be installed on 32 bit
and 64 bit computers also on non-uefi
and uefi
secure boot disabled in bios
------------
installation
format to fat32
use unetbootin
reboot
-------------------
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1hgfd6be ... uclid2.iso

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 270#965270

fredx181

#432 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Dan,
By logrotate option, you mean when you log off it asks if you want to get rid of all the old logs? So, to get full Debian Dog functionality, including the logrotate, I should include porteusbootscripts in the mklive script? Do you really mean I should install version 0.0.3 and not the newest one?
It's just what you'd prefer. Because the scripts for porteus-boot are already included in the build by default, there's no need to install porteusbootscripts package.
But if you really prefer the logrotating at shutdown (it's only included in version 0.0.3) then you can add porteusbootscripts=0.0.3 to the install list for the build and the default included scripts will be overwritten with the 0.0.3 files.
I believe the line with firmware is missing at line 280 of the script.

I changed it to

Quote:
# export final variables defined through GUI or CLI (with or without custom config)
export BASE_INSTALL="$BASE_INSTALL"
export BASE_DOG_APPS_INSTALL="$BASE_DOG_APPS_INSTALL"
export BASE_APPS_INSTALL="$BASE_APPS_INSTALL"
export DESK_APPS_INSTALL="$DESK_APPS_INSTALL"
export EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL="$EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL"
export FIRMWARE="$FIRMWARE"
export REM_AUTO_INST="$REM_AUTO_INST"
export FORCE32="$FORCE32"
Yes, that's right! When using GUI there's no problem (exported earlier in script) but with CLI it was, fixed now.

Bug fix, was missing export FIRMWARE="$FIRMWARE"
mklive-stretch script (right-click > Save link as and make executable)

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 23 Aug 2017, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

Re: Will the Grub4dos problem carry over into the DebianDogs?

#433 Post by fredx181 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi All,

I'm not sure if this falls under the heading "Buying into problems before they materialize" or "Reading the Writing on the Wall and Preparing to meet an unavoidable problem".

Short version: As far as I can tell, grub4dos is no longer maintained. The last version on the Puppy Linux Forum was created in 2014. Although it has support for Linux Ext4, it is unable to boot operating systems from drives formatted as 64 bit Linux Ext4.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111371. See, in particular, jd7654's analysis of what works, and what doesn't. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 267#965267

mikesLr
A workaround would be to edit /etc/mke2fs.conf to how it used to be in "older" systems.
The Stretch-Live build (also Stretchdog and Trinitydog-Stretch) has that workaround included, btw.
See for how to modify mke2fs.conf : http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 397#959397

EDIT: This post from jd7654 gives info about converting the filesystem back to "non'64-bit" (once it's already formatted that way, where I wrote about 'workaround' above is to prevent formatting as 64-bit)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 277#965277

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 23 Aug 2017, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.

belham2

#434 Post by belham2 »

mikesLr

Hi Mike,

Uhhh, what? :? Fyi, I have mutliple hard drives (from IDE to SATA I,II & III, internal and external), and all of them, save for one, is governed by grub4dos (the other one had grub2). Here's the thing: all those other drives? They are all formatted, inside pups, 64-bit ext4, and grub4dos is then next installed.

Grub4dos even handles my drive that is specifically targetted to rpm distros. On that one, I am booting manjaro, openSUSE, antergos, pclinuxOS and Fedora......all S.O.B. distros that are finicky & picky as heck since some require require separate boot/home partitions to function well.

[corrected & edited to say this sems to be something that only applies to to absolute newer gpt/uefi systems out there, if that. As noted in my other thread, it's strange though I've GPT going on with two of my drives]

HTH
Last edited by belham2 on Wed 23 Aug 2017, 10:12, edited 2 times in total.

belham2

#435 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:

mikesLr
A workaround would be to edit /etc/mke2fs.conf to how it used to be in "older" systems.
The Stretch-Live build (also Stretchdog and Trinitydog-Stretch) has that workaround included, btw.
See for how to modify mke2fs.conf : http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 397#959397

Fred

Hi Fred,

What workaround? I format everything inside either pups and/or ddogs, and it is ALWAYS 64-bit, and then I immediately install grub4dos next. I've never had a problem yet with anything......wondering what in heck you guys are even talking about here :?: :?: :?:

[EDIT: ok, I see what Mike and you are talking about---there is a huge "qualifier" in what you're saying: As JD noted in his other thread, with his "how-To", there is only an issue when trying to use Grub4DOS with newer systems with 64-bit Ext4 partitions. Since I don't use newer systems, no worries here. Strange though I have GPT going on to 2 of my ext4 formatted drives, using gparted inside pups, and I've no problems]

fredx181

#436 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:

mikesLr

Hi Mike,

Uhhh, what? :? Fyi, I have mutliple hard drives (from IDE to SATA I,II & III, internal and external), and all of them, save for one, is governed by grub4dos (the other one had grub2). Here's the thing: all those other drives? They are all formatted, inside pups, 64-bit ext4, and grub4dos is then next installed.

Grub4dos even handles my drive that is specifically targetted to rpm distros. On that one, I am booting manjaro, openSUSE, antergos, pclinuxOS and Fedora......all S.O.B. distros that are finicky & picky as heck since some require require separate boot/home partitions to function well.

I am not sure what is being propagated out there, but it is complete nonsense that grub4dos "...is unable to boot operating systems from drives formatted as 64 bit Linux Ext4." Yeah, it currently is nt mantained, but it handles everything today with aplomb. It just is not automatic...a person has to pay a bit of attention.

HTH
To avoid confusion:
It's not that grub4dos doesn't work anymore booting newer systems (e.g. Stretch), it's when formatting a drive by using a newer system
For info again: The Dogs and StretchLive won't have the problem because the workaround is included. (modified mke2fs.conf)

To clarify, taking example Stretch as "newer" system:
If you boot Debian-Live Stretch official, or Debian Stretch official full install (also dpup-Stretch from ttuuuxx)
Then use gparted to format a partition to ext4
If then you install grub4dos and MBR on that partition and make some frugal installs on it, these won't boot.

EDIT: Belham, I just see your EDIT, so you may see what's the point already

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 23 Aug 2017, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

bluenix

#437 Post by bluenix »

Thank you, fredx181 you're my hero & learn something from debian dog xfce is my goal.
I used to build from live-build but it can't compress size to debiandog script level.
I never expect that you would share your scripts and techniques you're so kind.
Naturally many distro competitors don't share their secret distro build techniques.
Someday I'll pay back my gratitude after I success. While other debianies over there struggle embrace
other sysvinit distro or strip down quality throw away DE to i3wm. I'm among odd
that want to build my own sysvnit distro from pure debian like debiandog, mx/antix did
without embrace devaun or any other non-systemd distro.

Currently I've planned to make a pure Debian Xfce 4.12 transitioning to 4.13 iso but
compress to size ram under 165mb and size iso under 600mb to 150mb-350mb~ I don't know if it's possible
to make a pure xfce distro under 300mb-150mb size with cups, gvfs, samba, tumbler preinstalled or not but if it can that'd be nice.
I've notice debiandog xfce throw away some xfce packages and merge with lx, jwm, openbox stuffs.
However what I want is to build a pure xfce without throw away any xfce features & that's why I'm here to research of making it.

Also I've my own obs repo for my custom Debian 9.1 Xfce. There's a lot of homework for me to do & I'll take time to read this.

fredx181

#438 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote:Side note:
While playing around with Dog package tool AptToSfs to create sfs modules to load, ran into failures of that app when using older or newer forced version packages such as:
firefox-esr=24.8.0esr-1~deb8u2 mpv=0.23.0-2+b2
I found that if you remove the "=" sign from the working directory name, then the AptToSfs completed successsfully with those forced version packages.

Change to /usr/local/bin/apt2sfs line 352:
Code:
export SFS=$(for i in "$INSTALL"; do echo $(echo $i | sed 's| |_|g' | sed 's|=||g'); done)
Made new version of package apt2sfs with that change from jd7654, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install apt2sfs   # installs version 1.1.2
Had tried some time ago already to include with version number e.g. mpv=0.23.0-2+b2 in the apt2sfs package list, and got error of course.
But didn't know the cause (difficult to debug this (over)complicated script !)
So, thanks jd !

@bluenix
Just for info, you can make build with full xfce4 by using this in the config:

DESK_APPS_INSTALL="xfce4 xfce4-goodies slim"
added "slim" login manager but can be without, then start xfce4 from console with:

startxfce4
(instead of startx)
You may need to add some apps to autostart e.g. peasywifi , depending on what you installed.

Fred

zagreb999

VLC-GTK style

#439 Post by zagreb999 »

VLC-GTK style

IS THERE VLC-GTK style
FOR STRTCHDOG 32BIT...?

REGARDS.

rufwoof

#440 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:To avoid confusion:
It's not that grub4dos doesn't work anymore booting newer systems (e.g. Stretch), it's when formatting a drive by using a newer system
For info again: The Dogs and StretchLive won't have the problem because the workaround is included. (modified mke2fs.conf)
I don't know if ext3 has the same issue (64bit filesystem flag being set when created using newer systems)? Personally I prefer ext3 as for instance that can be rw from a freebsd boot, whereas ext4 is ro. I have used freebsd to create and restore backups using mksquashfs/unsquashfs and that works well with ext3. My understanding is that access is however ext2 like i.e. no journalling, but for a simple operation such as unsquashfs to restore the content of a ext3 partition from a backup using freebsd that's not really a issue anyway (if there was a power cut midway then likely you'd redo from afresh afterwards).

I believe that if you want to share a partition with Windows then ext3 is also a better choice than ext4.

A point of interest is that you can mount ext3 as ext4 i.e. to 'try out' ext4 without having to reformat. Such as changing /etc/fstab to say ext4 instead of ext3. That way you can go back to ext3 at any time.

Seem to recall Fred saying however something like 'must be ext4' so perhaps the script is tuned specifically for ext4?
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]