VirtualBox won't load in Puppy 6.3.2 - Solved

Booting, installing, newbie
AirGunner

VirtualBox won't load in Puppy 6.3.2 - Solved

#1 Post by AirGunner »

I recently became a convert to Puppy and I like it much better than Windows for the most part, however, I'm having a problem trying to get VirtualBox to load.

I followed these instructions after several failed attempts at getting it to run on my own but still no luck.
I finally got the latest Virtualbox working in Slacko 6.3.0. It was actually pretty easy and all it involved was downloading a few files. This is for 32-bit version-latest Virtualbox http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... ux_x86.run Virtualbox Guest Additions(optional but highly recommended) http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 5.1.10.iso devx http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... _6.3.0.sfs kernel sources http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... _noPAE.sfs . You need to first install the devx and kernel sources and then Virtualbox(just click to install and follow on-screen prompts if any).
Everything seems to install fine but when I click the on the icon to start VirtualBox nothing happens.

I'm running Puppy as a full HD install on a Dell Dimension, 3gig dual core processor, 3 gigs of memory and about 100 gigs of free space.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, my wife is amazed at how much faster Puppy is than Windows.
Last edited by AirGunner on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

I find the method listed in your quote as being pretty flawless. I have to ask though, if you downloaded the right stuff.

Your thread title says you're using 6.3.2 but your links go to 6.3.0

That could be all the difference. Slight kernel change and boom, vbox no worky.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... -6.3.2/32/

AirGunner

#3 Post by AirGunner »

p310don wrote:I find the method listed in your quote as being pretty flawless. I have to ask though, if you downloaded the right stuff.

Your thread title says you're using 6.3.2 but your links go to 6.3.0

That could be all the difference. Slight kernel change and boom, vbox no worky.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... -6.3.2/32/

I am a complete noob at ANY flavor of linux so please bear with me. I checked dependencies and this is what I got.

File /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxDbg.so has these missing library files:
libQt5Core.so.5 libQt5Gui.so.5 libQt5Widgets.so.5
File /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxPython3_5m.so has these missing library files:
libpython3.5m.so.1.0
File /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so has these missing library files:
libQt5X11Extras.so.5 libQt5Core.so.5 libQt5Gui.so.5 libQt5Widgets.so.5 libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 libQt5OpenGL.so.5
File /usr/lib/virtualbox/components/VBoxC.so has these missing library files:
libpng16.so.16 libvpx.so.4

I searched and can't find these files anywhere on my computer.

I installed the proper devx sfs file. I don't have a clue what to do with the guest additions ISO and I'm uncertain if I have the proper kernel file.

What's my next step? Thanks for the help.

Edit:
After all that I realized I downloaded the wrong version of VirtualBox, now it's working but I'm still not sure What to do with the guest additions ISO.
Last edited by AirGunner on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

Galbi

#4 Post by Galbi »

Hi, open a terminal (a console) and launch virtualbox from there. Put here the results.

The Guest addictions.iso, is the image of a CDROM that has programs to be run INSDIDE the virtual machine. So first we need to have a running VirtualBox and a virtual machine u and running ;-)

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

AirGunner

#5 Post by AirGunner »

Galbi wrote:Hi, open a terminal (a console) and launch virtualbox from there. Put here the results.

The Guest addictions.iso, is the image of a CDROM that has programs to be run INSDIDE the virtual machine. So first we need to have a running VirtualBox and a virtual machine u and running ;-)

Saludos.
Ha, we must have cross posted. Thanks for the help I'll report back with what happens next. Like I said, I'm a total noob at this linux thing.

Galbi

#6 Post by Galbi »

We all have been noobs at a time, so don't worry and ask what you need.

Linux it's a wonderful trip, enjoy it. :)

To be clear, and avoid headaches, check twice that the devx and kernel sources exactly match your kernel version.

Saludos.

AirGunner

#7 Post by AirGunner »

Well now I'm getting this error.

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

I thought I had installed the proper files but apparently not.

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

your very close to getting it running!!

open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

/sbin/vboxconfig
this hopefully will build this driver and install it for you. once this vboxconfig works you should be good to go. There may be some tinkering needed to get to go.

AirGunner

#9 Post by AirGunner »

I already tried that and all I get is a lot error messages in terminal. is there a way to copy the messages I get in the terminal so I can post it here?

I checked dependencies again and this is what i got.

File /usr/lib/virtualbox/plugins/xcbglintegrations/libqxcb-glx-integration.so has these missing library files:
libQt5XcbQpaVBox.so.5 libQt5DBusVBox.so.5 libQt5GuiVBox.so.5 libQt5CoreVBox.so.5
File /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxPython3_4m.so has these missing library files:
libpython3.4m.so.1.0

Galbi

#10 Post by Galbi »

Yes, to copy-paste from the terminal, highlight what you want and use the middle button to copy and again the same to paste. Practice a little and you will get it.

Does the VBox screen appears? Despite the error of the kernel module, I mean.

Can you launch python or the make command in a terminal? (I want to check if the devx is riight installed.)

AirGunner

#11 Post by AirGunner »

Yes the vbox window appears but when I try to launch a vm I get the errors. Yes, Python starts in terminal as well as make.

rockedge

#12 Post by rockedge »

I totally forgot! You need the Kernel source for the Puppy Linux version your running. I use the quickpet to download the source...the build script needs the source to build against!

make sure to use pup-sysinfo to find out which kernel source you need. Download the .sfs file and load it into the system. then run
/sbin/vboxconfig again. Then you can unload the kernel source sfs file.

Update
Okay I just Downloaded http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... y_i386.deb
then I downloaded in my case kernel_sources-3.14.79-tahr.sfs.
in a terminal type:

adduser vboxusers
then

/sbin/vboxconfig
let the program finish completely then start VirtualBox and give it a whirl.

let me know how you make out.
Last edited by rockedge on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

AirGunner

#13 Post by AirGunner »

That worked! Thank you so much, I never would have figured that out myself. I've become increasingly concerned about online privacy (one reason I'm using Puppy now) and want to try Whonix, this was the first step.

Thank you all for your help.

AirGunner

#14 Post by AirGunner »

So now I have VirtualBox 5.1 running on Slacko Puppy 6.3.2 on a usb drive. I set up a vm in VirtualBox 5.1 to run another Puppy 6.3.2, it works but it's very slow and the mouse is very touchy when I get around the edges of the screen. However, my big concern is how can I connect to the Internet through the vm Puppy?

When I run the internet connection wizard it doesn't see my wireless adapter but it does see my ethernet card. I get an IP address of 10.0.2.15 so I'm guessing it's a local address and I can't connect to the internet with the browser.

Should I just start a new thread with this question?

Thanks to all for the help so far.

Galbi

#15 Post by Galbi »

AirGunner wrote:how can I connect to the Internet through the vm Puppy?
You have to bridge the network interfase of the guest, to the network interfase of the host that has connection to internet.

See picture. In this example, the host it's Puppy and the guest is win7.
Attachments
bridged.png
(46.14 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

rockedge

#16 Post by rockedge »

even with the IP 10.0.2.15 and NAT selected as the network interface(the default) you should be able to connect to the internet. The ip is a local network address and one can reach it on the LAN. NAT is a shared connection with the host machine,

The Bridged method will emulate a ethernet device and will be assigned a separate local area subnet IP address like the other machines on the network. Like 192.168.1.10.

the bridged device is helpful if the VM needs to be connected to remotely.

AirGunner

#17 Post by AirGunner »

rockedge wrote:even with the IP 10.0.2.15 and NAT selected as the network interface(the default) you should be able to connect to the internet. The ip is a local network address and one can reach it on the LAN. NAT is a shared connection with the host machine,

The Bridged method will emulate a ethernet device and will be assigned a separate local area subnet IP address like the other machines on the network. Like 192.168.1.10.

the bridged device is helpful if the VM needs to be connected to remotely.
Well if I could get the mouse to work properly inside the vm I would let you know how it works. It jumps outside of the guest window back to the host machine making it impossible to get anything done. Any ideas about that?

mostly_lurking

#18 Post by mostly_lurking »

AirGunner wrote:Well if I could get the mouse to work properly inside the vm I would let you know how it works. It jumps outside of the guest window back to the host machine making it impossible to get anything done. Any ideas about that?
I'm using an older version of Virtualbox (4.1.6), so I don't know if it's the same with yours... there is an option on the "System" tab of the virtual machine settings called "enable absolute pointing device"; it specifies whether the VM should support a USB tablet or just emulate a regular PS/2 mouse, and it can influence the mouse interaction between host and guest OS. With some guest systems, I had problems with the mouse cursor placement when this setting was active; I had to turn it off.

AirGunner

#19 Post by AirGunner »

mostly_lurking wrote: I'm using an older version of Virtualbox (4.1.6), so I don't know if it's the same with yours... there is an option on the "System" tab of the virtual machine settings called "enable absolute pointing device"; it specifies whether the VM should support a USB tablet or just emulate a regular PS/2 mouse, and it can influence the mouse interaction between host and guest OS. With some guest systems, I had problems with the mouse cursor placement when this setting was active; I had to turn it off.
This seems to work in Puppy 6.3.2. Since I'm using a usb mouse I went to settings and set it to a PS/2 mouse and now it's work although it's very slow, guess I need to pay more attention to settings from now on. Thanks mostly_lurking and everyone else for the help.

mostly_lurking

#20 Post by mostly_lurking »

AirGunner wrote:Since I'm using a usb mouse I went to settings and set it to a PS/2 mouse and now it's work although it's very slow
What's too slow - the mouse movement, or the whole system? If it's the mouse, check the guest system's mouse acceleration - I think on most Puppies, it can be accessed through Menu > Desktop > pupX set properties of X. A value of "1" (no acceleration) should make the mouse move as fast as on the host OS; higher values increase the speed. If that doesn't work, I have no idea how to fix this. (I'm using a USB mouse, too, but I never had such a problem.)

If it's the system that's running slow, try giving it more memory. I think it needs at least 512MB to work reasonably well; more is better. You can also create a swap partition on a virtual hard disk; use GParted inside the guest OS to format the virtual drive just like a real one. If you have a guest Puppy running as a live session from a CD/ISO file, you should reboot it afterwards, so that it can mount the swap at boot and properly calculate its memory and personal storage space.