Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 May 2019, 14:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 31 of 97 [1452 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, ..., 95, 96, 97 Next
Author Message
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3918
Location: holland

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 05:28    Post subject: Update mklive-stretch
Subject description: Added choice of Desktop Environment
 

*** Update mklive-stretch ***

Added choice of Desktop Environment, it's for GUI only, when run without specifying a config file:
Code:
./mklive-stretch -gui



It works by downloading a config file from here:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/configs
And before creating the ISO it will download corresponding module(s) from here:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/modules
and will be added to isodata/live folder

All will autologin and autostart X without need to install a login manager, e.g. slim
The DE-configuration, in most cases added as extra module zz_......squashfs, are mostly very simple, I might extend these a liitle more, basically it works now, which was my goal.

Download:
mklive-stretch script

Screenshots here:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/screenshots

@peebee
I added your LxDD concept as one of the options, tell me if you don't agree, or to make changes
And thanks! Adding .squashfs modules, like you did, seems to be a good way to add stuff.

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1647

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 07:17    Post subject: Re: Update mklive-stretch
Subject description: Added choice of Desktop Environment
 

fredx181 wrote:
*** Update mklive-stretch ***

Added choice of Desktop Environment, it's for GUI only, when run without specifying a config file:
Code:
./mklive-stretch -gui



It works by downloading a config file from here:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/configs
And before creating the ISO it will download corresponding module(s) from here:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/modules
and will be added to isodata/live folder

All will autologin and autostart X without need to install a login manager, e.g. slim
The DE-configuration, in most cases added as extra module zz_......squashfs, are mostly very simple, I might extend these a liitle more, basically it works now, which was my goal.

Download:
mklive-stretch script

Screenshots here:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/screenshots

@peebee
I added your LxDD concept as one of the options, tell me if you don't agree, or to make changes
And thanks! Adding .squashfs modules, like you did, seems to be a good way to add stuff.

Fred


Hi Fred,

Hey, the popup 'desktop environment' box is really nice!!

Was just wondering, could the following be added to the new popup de gui? Don't know if ya remember, but I did a long while back in the beginning: FVWM-Crystal. Really think people would like it (fvwm-crystal) if they would give it a chance. It's unique in how it uses left & right mouse-clicks, plus its DE customization is something, along with its wonderful ability to run "nested DEs" inside the fvwm-crystal DE that you're in (example: you can run 2, 3 or 4 nested DEs inside the one you are in, without having to logout-login crap & having only 1 DE at a time for use). It is something special. Is this possible, or not, since it seems things are moving to this downloading of modules too?? Anyway, here is the post about fvwm-crystal I did:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111199&start=195


P.S. Also, is adding a "Budgie DE" build button/icon choice a possibility? I got it working/built too Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
festus


Joined: 14 Jan 2015
Posts: 213

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 07:34    Post subject: packages needed for ??  

Hey, all

I'm preparing my list for a new run of the script and need some help with selecting them.

What additional packages need to be added, if any, not including a burning app like pburn, for: CD/DVD detection and to be able to burn and work with mp3/ogg, etc?

And, a working Battery-Monitor, that sits in the taskbar?

Also, is there any way to include " simple_network_setup" (sns)?

Thanks for any input,

festus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3918
Location: holland

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 07:41    Post subject:  

Belham wrote:
Was just wondering, could the following be added to the new popup de gui? Don't know if ya remember, but I did a long while back in the beginning: FVWM-Crystal. Really think people would like it (fvwm-crystal) if they would give it a chance. It's unique in how it uses left & right mouse-clicks, plus its DE customization is something, along with its wonderful ability to run "nested DEs" inside the fvwm-crystal DE that you're in (example: you can run 2, 3 or 4 nested DEs inside the one you are in, without having to logout-login crap & having only 1 DE at a time for use). It is something special. Is this possible, or not, since it seems things are moving to this downloading of modules too?? Anyway, here is the post about fvwm-crystal I did:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111199&start=195


P.S. Also, is adding a "Budgie DE" build button/icon choice a possibility? I got it working/built too Wink


Thanks. Yes, now almost anything is possible with the combination of custom .conf files and the adding of extra .squashfs modules. I will have look at fvwm-crystal in the next days, any know-how you can share, e.g. nice custom configuration ?
Or if you like to make .squashfs with your special configuration inside would be nice also.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 1714
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 11:45    Post subject:  

Hi Fred .......everyone !
Tested your new Makelive-Stretch-gui .
Choosed JWM Desktop very light on the Ram /System ....
Uses 61 Megb Ram idle ......
Makelive-Stretch-gui makes creating a minimal Debian 9 (Stretch) Iso so easy as drinking a cup of tea.
Thanks for all your (and of course anybody elses ) hard efforts .
Nice to see such a sophisticated Project growing more and more.

Just want to throw in a small proposal .....
Maybe you should include "ntfs-3g" into base Install script ......makes NTFS Partition writable by default .

Keep on rocking Smile

Last edited by backi on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 13:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1647

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 12:55    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:


Thanks. Yes, now almost anything is possible with the combination of custom .conf files and the adding of extra .squashfs modules. I will have look at fvwm-crystal in the next days, any know-how you can share, e.g. nice custom configuration ?
Or if you like to make .squashfs with your special configuration inside would be nice also.

Fred


It figures I didn't save my configuration for a few of those builds I did in the beginning. I was saving eveything in a plain .txt file, but the fvwm-crystal I didn't because I didn't think it was ppssible the 1st attempt would be successful--and of course it was, lol Rolling Eyes . So...I'm still using it...I am sure I used your in-the-beginning default build specs all around (plus all of your scripts I like Wink ). Then I just made sure to remove all the "lx-" references and also openbox. I think the only thing I added, if I recall correctly, was just "fvwm-crystal" and then the script built everything great. Of course, I still have the "Failure to Login" thing happen, where it falls back to the SLIM and then I hit "F1", and enter the root passwd I had made during the build...but then everything loads up great. I've been too lazy to fix this login thing.....lol.

Other than that, there's nothing I've added. I'm still experimenting with it. Almost daily I find something new about it, so it takes some getting used to. That right-clicking (instead of left-clicking) to directly open a tray program, whereas left-clicking the same icon causes a dropdown menu to appear, still causes me a few moments of crossing-my-eyes, lol. But dam# it's fast for accessing stuff once you get the hang of it. Anyway, thanks again for contiually improving the script.....like Backi said, building something now is just great. This thing deserves to be mentioned in Distrowatch....hope labbe5 has some luck in getting a response from them about it (I think he had contacted them about it Very Happy ). If it happens, it's well-deserved, Fred! To me, your mklive-build script (and Wiak now also trying to do it for the woof-CE process) is the most exciting thing to happen in Puppyland in a few years in demystifying building an OS and making it possible/accessible for all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jd7654

Joined: 06 Apr 2015
Posts: 297

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 14:07    Post subject: Re: Update mklive-stretch
Subject description: Added choice of Desktop Environment
 

fredx181 wrote:
*** Update mklive-stretch ***

Added choice of Desktop Environment, it's for GUI only, when run without specifying a config file:
Code:
./mklive-stretch -gui



Oooh....DE selection, the gui is coming along very nicely. Thanks Fred.

One note for the Mate build:
When I made mine, I wanted it even more clean, without PCManFM. So I removed base Dog apps:
edit-sfs-pcmanfm filemnt-pcmanfm
Which was causing PCManFM to be installed also, only intending to use native Caja FM.
But was missing the filemnt for ISO file mounting.
So I manually added /usr/local/bin/filemnt in the chroot but changed line 203 to caja instead of pcmanfm. It works, although there was an error.
Is there (or could there be) a filemnt-caja package like there is for xfce with filemnt-thunar?
Also, I removed leafpad and replaced with pluma, to be more Mate pure.

And since you now have sfs modules incorporated into build script, maybe this might be a good time to break out the browser as a module, since that is such a personal thing?
The default firefox-esr=24.8.0esr-1~deb8u2 is nice and light, but not compatible with many new websites.
I was making many browser sfs modules so I could easily mix and match after the fact, such as firefox-esr (current 52.3), chromium, midori, netsurf, etc.
You could add a browser folder wth those browser modules on the github repo, and a field for browser module selection.

Anyway, great improvements on the DebLive script.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rockedge


Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 1039
Location: Connecticut, United States

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 15:43    Post subject:  

I can not start ./mklive-stretch -gui!
I have these errors when attempting to run the script on tahr 6.0.6

Code:
Unable parse command line: Unknown option --borders=6
Unable parse command line: Unknown option --borders=4


any insight as to what I am doing wrong? Is yad broken in tahr 6.0.6?

UPDATE turns out yad was broken. I upgraded to version 0.25.1 with
yad_0.25.1-1~getdeb1_i386.deb. and now mklive-stretch --gui started.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 1274

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 16:04    Post subject: Re: Update mklive-stretch
Subject description: Added choice of Desktop Environment
 

jd7654 wrote:
/snip/

And since you now have sfs modules incorporated into build script, maybe this might be a good time to break out the browser as a module, since that is such a personal thing?
The default firefox-esr=24.8.0esr-1~deb8u2 is nice and light, but not compatible with many new websites.
I was making many browser sfs modules so I could easily mix and match after the fact, such as firefox-esr (current 52.3), chromium, midori, netsurf, etc.
You could add a browser folder wth those browser modules on the github repo, and a field for browser module selection.

Anyway, great improvements on the DebLive script.


Everything is a trade off, but the tradeoff with putting the browser in a .squashfs file is that you don't have apt-get taking care of upgrading it anymore. You are either stuck with the version that you start with or have to use apt2sfs to create another one every so often.

If you have Fred prebuild them, then you'll have everyone screaming at him to upgrade them every time the internet goes bezerk with the newest super dangerous browser vulnerability that is going to end the world as we know it and email your browser history to your mother-in-law Wink .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 12627
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 16:30    Post subject:  

YASSM v4.1 is posted here. It parallels development of the Puppy version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jd7654

Joined: 06 Apr 2015
Posts: 297

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 17:32    Post subject: Re: Update mklive-stretch
Subject description: Added choice of Desktop Environment
 

dancytron wrote:
Everything is a trade off, but the tradeoff with putting the browser in a .squashfs file is that you don't have apt-get taking care of upgrading it anymore. You are either stuck with the version that you start with or have to use apt2sfs to create another one every so often.
...


Yeah, that's all true. I guess mainly what I was meaning (but didn't write explicitly) was to take the firefox 24 out of the default base sfs, and the user can choose browser, or an available sfs, or no browser at all, and then apt-get a browser afterwards, or roll their own browser module with apt2sfs. Just thinking the firefox 24 becomes dead weight, and size savings is always a consideration with lightweight distros, otherwise might as well just do the full Debian distro. Maybe if a basic browser was included in base sfs then netsurf could suffice.

But this is all personal design choices, everyone has their own opinion. I just gave mine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 1274

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 17:58    Post subject: Re: Update mklive-stretch
Subject description: Added choice of Desktop Environment
 

jd7654 wrote:
dancytron wrote:
Everything is a trade off, but the tradeoff with putting the browser in a .squashfs file is that you don't have apt-get taking care of upgrading it anymore. You are either stuck with the version that you start with or have to use apt2sfs to create another one every so often.
...


Yeah, that's all true. I guess mainly what I was meaning (but didn't write explicitly) was to take the firefox 24 out of the default base sfs, and the user can choose browser, or an available sfs, or no browser at all, and then apt-get a browser afterwards, or roll their own browser module with apt2sfs. Just thinking the firefox 24 becomes dead weight, and size savings is always a consideration with lightweight distros, otherwise might as well just do the full Debian distro. Maybe if a basic browser was included in base sfs then netsurf could suffice.

But this is all personal design choices, everyone has their own opinion. I just gave mine.


Maybe put the browser in a separate field, like the desktop is, with help information for the known good choices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 12627
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 20:19    Post subject:  

PeasyXorBurn v1.1 is posted here. It can now burn audio CDs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rockedge


Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 1039
Location: Connecticut, United States

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug 2017, 20:32    Post subject:  

I ran the script this time using TrinityDog and it ran successfully. Very nicely I might add. I used the --gui option and selected jvm. This will be a test platform for ZoneMinder CCTV system and some X10 devices.
I had success installing zoneminder on TrinityDog which runs very niceley.
I am looking to use the barest minimum OS to support ZM.

the build took 40-45 minutes on a dual core Dell inspiron E1505
using a 8 gig USB flash drive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3918
Location: holland

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2017, 06:52    Post subject:  

Hi All,

Added fvwm-crystal to the Desktop choice GUI



Did some hacking (configuration in extra module "zz_fvwm-crystal_config.squashfs"):
- Changed fonts to be more elegant (instead of the big bold fonts)
- Reboot and Shutdown will show the 'Save or No save' window (in case porteus-boot EXIT:/ is used)
- Will autologin and autostart X (no login manager needed, such as slim)
Without adding more packages to be installed to the fvwm-crystal list, the ISO size becomes 184 MB

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script

@belham, indeed fvwm-crystal is some 'piece of art' Smile, although some things don't work, e.g. font setting from menu, but found config files in /usr/share/fvwm-crystal/fvwm/preferences.

@backi Thanks, I added ntfs-3g to all configs

@jd7654, added filemnt-caja to the repos, didn't test though, can you try it ?

About the browser choice, I like to have a reasonable working browser to be standard in the build, the latest firefox-esr is almost twice as big as version 24, but v24 can be easily upgraded to latest version from apt-get or Synaptic
Btw, I don't understand the issue, it's easy IMO just to modify the Applications field and change "firefox-esr=24.8.0esr-1~deb8u2" to "firefox-esr" or whatever browser.

Fred
fvwd-crystal_740x463.jpg
 Description   FVWM-Crystal, eye-candy but also powerful desktop environment
 Filesize   67.39 KB
 Viewed   719 Time(s)

fvwd-crystal_740x463.jpg


_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 31 of 97 [1452 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, ..., 95, 96, 97 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0746s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0139s) ][ GZIP on ]