Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jd7654

Re: Update mklive-stretch

#461 Post by jd7654 »

dancytron wrote:Everything is a trade off, but the tradeoff with putting the browser in a .squashfs file is that you don't have apt-get taking care of upgrading it anymore. You are either stuck with the version that you start with or have to use apt2sfs to create another one every so often.
Yeah, that's all true. I guess mainly what I was meaning (but didn't write explicitly) was to take the firefox 24 out of the default base sfs, and the user can choose browser, or an available sfs, or no browser at all, and then apt-get a browser afterwards, or roll their own browser module with apt2sfs. Just thinking the firefox 24 becomes dead weight, and size savings is always a consideration with lightweight distros, otherwise might as well just do the full Debian distro. Maybe if a basic browser was included in base sfs then netsurf could suffice.

But this is all personal design choices, everyone has their own opinion. I just gave mine.

dancytron

Re: Update mklive-stretch

#462 Post by dancytron »

jd7654 wrote:
dancytron wrote:Everything is a trade off, but the tradeoff with putting the browser in a .squashfs file is that you don't have apt-get taking care of upgrading it anymore. You are either stuck with the version that you start with or have to use apt2sfs to create another one every so often.
Yeah, that's all true. I guess mainly what I was meaning (but didn't write explicitly) was to take the firefox 24 out of the default base sfs, and the user can choose browser, or an available sfs, or no browser at all, and then apt-get a browser afterwards, or roll their own browser module with apt2sfs. Just thinking the firefox 24 becomes dead weight, and size savings is always a consideration with lightweight distros, otherwise might as well just do the full Debian distro. Maybe if a basic browser was included in base sfs then netsurf could suffice.

But this is all personal design choices, everyone has their own opinion. I just gave mine.
Maybe put the browser in a separate field, like the desktop is, with help information for the known good choices.

rcrsn51

#463 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyXorBurn v1.1 is posted here. It can now burn audio CDs.

rockedge

#464 Post by rockedge »

I ran the script this time using TrinityDog and it ran successfully. Very nicely I might add. I used the --gui option and selected jvm. This will be a test platform for ZoneMinder CCTV system and some X10 devices.
I had success installing zoneminder on TrinityDog which runs very niceley.
I am looking to use the barest minimum OS to support ZM.

the build took 40-45 minutes on a dual core Dell inspiron E1505
using a 8 gig USB flash drive.

fredx181

#465 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

Added fvwm-crystal to the Desktop choice GUI

Did some hacking (configuration in extra module "zz_fvwm-crystal_config.squashfs"):
- Changed fonts to be more elegant (instead of the big bold fonts)
- Reboot and Shutdown will show the 'Save or No save' window (in case porteus-boot EXIT:/ is used)
- Will autologin and autostart X (no login manager needed, such as slim)
Without adding more packages to be installed to the fvwm-crystal list, the ISO size becomes 184 MB

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script

@belham, indeed fvwm-crystal is some 'piece of art' :), although some things don't work, e.g. font setting from menu, but found config files in /usr/share/fvwm-crystal/fvwm/preferences.

@backi Thanks, I added ntfs-3g to all configs

@jd7654, added filemnt-caja to the repos, didn't test though, can you try it ?

About the browser choice, I like to have a reasonable working browser to be standard in the build, the latest firefox-esr is almost twice as big as version 24, but v24 can be easily upgraded to latest version from apt-get or Synaptic
Btw, I don't understand the issue, it's easy IMO just to modify the Applications field and change "firefox-esr=24.8.0esr-1~deb8u2" to "firefox-esr" or whatever browser.

Fred
Attachments
fvwd-crystal_740x463.jpg
FVWM-Crystal, eye-candy but also powerful desktop environment
(67.39 KiB) Downloaded 838 times

belham2

#466 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi All,

Added fvwm-crystal to the Desktop choice GUI

Did some hacking (configuration in extra module "zz_fvwm-crystal_config.squashfs"):
- Changed fonts to be more elegant (instead of the big bold fonts)
- Reboot and Shutdown will show the 'Save or No save' window (in case porteus-boot EXIT:/ is used)
- Will autologin and autostart X (no login manager needed, such as slim)
Without adding more packages to be installed to the fvwm-crystal list, the ISO size becomes 184 MB

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script

@belham, indeed fvwm-crystal is some 'piece of art' :), although some things don't work, e.g. font setting from menu, but found config files in /usr/share/fvwm-crystal/fvwm/preferences.

@backi Thanks, I added ntfs-3g to all configs

@jd7654, added filemnt-caja to the repos, didn't test though, can you try it ?

About the browser choice, I like to have a reasonable working browser to be standard in the build, the latest firefox-esr is almost twice as big as version 24, but v24 can be easily upgraded to latest version from apt-get or Synaptic
Btw, I don't understand the issue, it's easy IMO just to modify the Applications field and change "firefox-esr=24.8.0esr-1~deb8u2" to "firefox-esr" or whatever browser.

Fred

Thank you, Fred!
:D

Hope others give it a whirl, giving it some time to grow on them, and see what they think!

fredx181

#467 Post by fredx181 »

You are welcome Belham !!

Maybe someday, someone makes a full featured "CrystalDog" , who knows... :wink:

@ALL Added firmware .squashfs module:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/mo ... e.squashfs

Fred

roadkill13

#468 Post by roadkill13 »

root# ./mklive-stretch -gui
Checking network connection...
OK
Unable parse command line: Unknown option --borders=6
Unable parse command line: Unknown option --borders=4
Script fails on initialization with this message.

OOPS I see my mistake!

dancytron

#469 Post by dancytron »

dancytron wrote:Is there a specific package that has to be included for lz4 to work on the Quick Remaster? Or is it just not supported yet.

I did a quick remaster using lz4 and it seemed to do what it was supposed to, but when I rebooted, I got the errors in the screenshot I've attached. It worked fine when I redid it with gzip and I've used xz in the past and that's worked too.

I saved the bad 01-filesystem.squashfs if there is something you'd like me to check.

Luckily someone had the great idea to include emergency backups as a part of the quick remaster program. :D :D
I am still seeing this issue. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 101#965101

It only happens with 64 bit builds, 32 bit works fine.

I cannot mount the 01-filesystem.squashfs file on my 64 bit Stretch builds, but it will mount on my 64 bit Jessie remaster. But, editsfs seems to open it up and redo it, but it still won't mount or work on 64 bit Stretch.

If I create a LZ4 *.squashfs file with apt2sfs, it won't mount on my 64 bit build either and doesn't appear to load correctly from right click.

Could you please try to reproduce this?

Dan

jd7654

#470 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:@jd7654, added filemnt-caja to the repos, didn't test though, can you try it ?
Tried filemnt-caja in Mate build, mount works OK, unmount works, but has same error dialog I saw before. (can't copy text, see attach)

Other interesting problem, I was using Frisbee in Mate build before for WiFi, and with new config there is a failure with key/password, an immediate error popup:
Invalid Key or Password

I know it worked before, only thing different is zz_mate_config.squashfs in new build. I disabled zz_mate_config and then Frisbee connected OK. Don't see anything in there that would/should cause that. Will check some more.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2017-08-27 20-50-49.png
(22.56 KiB) Downloaded 791 times

peebee

#471 Post by peebee »

jd7654 wrote:Other interesting problem, I was using Frisbee in Mate build before for WiFi, and with new config there is a failure with key/password, an immediate error popup:
Invalid Key or Password
That is usually a theme problem - try a different GTK theme.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

fredx181

#472 Post by fredx181 »

@dancytron
I am still seeing this issue. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 101#965101

I cannot mount the 01-filesystem.squashfs file on my 64 bit Stretch builds, but it will mount on my 64 bit Jessie remaster. But, editsfs seems to open it up and redo it, but it still won't mount or work on 64 bit Stretch.

If I create a LZ4 *.squashfs file with apt2sfs, it won't mount on my 64 bit build either and doesn't appear to load correctly from right click.

Looks like you found another bug
But the weird thing is that I cannot reproduce (I tried a few times after you mentioned earlier and tried just now)
But looking at the script, I've found a mistake
It's that inside /lib/modules/4.9.0-3-amd64/kernel/fs/squashfs/ there's a folder "squashfs64" copied, but squashfs.ko module (with LZ4 support) should be there only.
For some reason on my computer the right squashfs.ko gets loaded (inside squashfs64) and apparently not for you.
Anyway, should be fixed now ! Can you test ?

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script

@jd7654
Tried filemnt-caja in Mate build, mount works OK, unmount works, but has same error dialog I saw before. (can't copy text, see attach)
Yes tested that now, I guess that's a caja thing, don't know how to solve, looks like caja is looking for /media/root/.... when unmounting
Also when unmounting the directory in /mnt/ from terminal, I got the same message.
About Frisbee, no idea, nothing inside the extra module that should influence connection AFAIK
EDIT: To be sure I removed the ~/.config folder from the extra mate module:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/modules/mate
(although I doubt that it would make any difference)

Fred

jd7654

#473 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:@jd7654...
About Frisbee, no idea, nothing inside the extra module that should influence connection AFAIK
EDIT: To be sure I removed the ~/.config folder from the extra mate module:
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/modules/mate
(although I doubt that it would make any difference)
I tried with the new zz_mate_config sfs, and Frisbee worked first time!
Unfortunately, I didn't keep the old one, deleted stretch directory to make space, so can't reconfirm the original failure. And also removed it from ISO with ISOMaster to try on another PC.
So combined with what Peebee said,(why in the heck would/should a theme affect the Frisbee password?) I guess we can just chalk this up to some Frisbee weirdness...move along, nothing to see here.

peebee

#474 Post by peebee »

jd7654 wrote:why in the heck would/should a theme affect the Frisbee password?) I guess we can just chalk this up to some Frisbee weirdness...move along, nothing to see here.
'Cos some themes don't play nicely with gtkdialog and produce error strings which are added on to the typed password producing a corrupted password - if I can find it there's a post on one of the Frisbee threads with a test prog - there's also a patch to the theme somewhere which cures the problem....but can't remember where that is....
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#475 Post by peebee »

see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 511#660511 for test prog and subsequent posts for theme edits....

or type into a terminal:

Code: Select all

Xdialog  --title "Frisbee" --password --inputbox "Please enter the password" 0 0 > /opt/Pwireless-entry 2>&1
and then look in /opt/Pwireless-entry for the result
Last edited by peebee on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#476 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:@dancytron

Looks like you found another bug
But the weird thing is that I cannot reproduce (I tried a few times after you mentioned earlier and tried just now)
But looking at the script, I've found a mistake
It's that inside /lib/modules/4.9.0-3-amd64/kernel/fs/squashfs/ there's a folder "squashfs64" copied, but squashfs.ko module (with LZ4 support) should be there only.
For some reason on my computer the right squashfs.ko gets loaded (inside squashfs64) and apparently not for you.
Anyway, should be fixed now ! Can you test ?

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script

Fred
That seems to have fixed it.

jd7654

#477 Post by jd7654 »

Did a Jwm build, to look more like basic Puppy., removed:
edit-sfs-pcmanfm filemnt-pcmanfm pcmanfm

Added:
filemnt-rox desktop-drive-icons

Worked OK (with some config entrys) but my browser modules were not working. Had to add back:
libdbus-glib-1-2
which was installed with pcmanfm.

Tried to add roxterm but seems this is not available in 32-bit, only 64-bit?

fredx181

#478 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote:Tried to add roxterm but seems this is not available in 32-bit, only 64-bit?
It's now in 32 bit custom repo also, it's officially from Debian Jessie repo , but works fine in Stretch , from what I tested.
Install as roxterm-gtk2
(trying to sync 64 and 32 bit custom repos as much as possible)

Fred

festus

openbox_lx

#479 Post by festus »

Hey, all

Yesterday, I ran the mklive-stretch -gui, using "openbox_lx.conf", with a few added pkgs, and it turned out great.

How does a person set programs to run @ startup, and choose the default applications?

Thank you, Fred, and all involved.

festus :)

Doglover

#480 Post by Doglover »

Very nice Fred.. kudos

Anyway, tried all the desktops and could not get kodi to run. Seg fault every time. Can't figure it out. any ideas?

Thanks for an excellent script.
Attachments
debdog-20170830171450.jpg
(70.68 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
debdog-20170830171905.jpg
(196.82 KiB) Downloaded 200 times