Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 04:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Porteus vs Fatdog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
zakjoh

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 18:06    Post subject:  Porteus vs Fatdog  

Was about to report back on my findings on testing Porteus but i can't find the thread?
Daleb

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 18:53    Post subject:  

That's a good thing as it's nice and clean to discuss the subject. Smile

Report away on your findings , did you try both the slackware and Arch version ??
rokytnji

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 21:04    Post subject:  

I get a topic does not exist. Like it was deleted or something.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiehtCj84fMAhUBGx4KHbPUDUIQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.murga-linux.com%2Fpuppy%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fp%3D897741%26sid%3D5dddde4c2174e44263f5274aa5bd5bf2&usg=AFQjCNFaydqCZ7urffZ9BJ64xaLKzcZSjg&sig2=L5at9z4nGaLHn-IZKXit_Q

Quote:
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Porteus vs ...
www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=897834&sid...
7 days ago - 14 posts - ‎7 authors
zakjoh. Joined: 17 Oct 2015. Posts: 18 ... I see that Porteus does a Kiosk version that is only 60mb. Back to top ...
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 21:08    Post subject:  

The original topic was removed because it degenerated into bickering and strife. Nothing useful was there.
zakjoh

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2016, 18:33    Post subject:  

Well that was a complete waste of time as it turns out the Arch Alpha (nemesis) is on hold and they don't know if the Arch version will be resumed any longer.

Apparently the developer is about to release new version of Slackware Porteus and is going to concentrate his time on that instead due work commitments.

So may as well wait for that as the new version will have up to date packages and easy update scripts for the desktop applications.
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2016, 20:06    Post subject: . Now i can save with Porteus boot (Xenialdog)  

. Now i can save with Porteus boot (Xenialdog) . Now i like it, because i have been a long time not understanding how to do.
Fatdog is for linux students. I am only a passenger with Linux.

Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017, 22:01    Post subject: Giving a new try for Fatdog /Fatdog64-702.iso  

Giving a new try for Fatdog /Fatdog64-702.iso
Just to check if i am right or wrong to ignore it some years more.
I will never understand why people choose an OS which is 64 bits, getting 32 bits unavailable.
No trouble with 32 bits for 5 years now running Puppies Medion Akoya 64 bits

on the other and, XenialDog with Porteus boot is approved at home, perhaps Dogs team has more the Puppy Linux spirit than Puppy, nowadays.
Stretch.jpg
 Description   Grub4Dos multiboot
 Filesize   72.32 KB
 Viewed   303 Time(s)

Stretch.jpg

quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 02:23    Post subject:
Subject description: puppyfying porteus

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried puppyfying porteus ?

Recently try running a porteus live-cd, feels OK . But...... there seems no such frugal install as puppy/Fatdog/Quirky. I don't want to burn CD as my CD writer seems not working anymore.
Keef

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 07:09    Post subject:  

quirkian2new

Yes you can do a 'frugal'.
Copy the porteus folder to your HDD. You could copy the boot folder, but simpler to make a new boot folder on the HDD then copy vmliunz and initrd.xz from /boot/syslinux.
Nothing else needed.
My grub4dos entry is:

Code:
title Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE
  uuid  17d33b37-4aaa-49af-8bf7-7ed81c552c4b
  #find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/initrd.xz
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz changes=/porteus/ copy2ram kmap=uk nocd timezone=Europe/London
  initrd /boot/initrd.xz

Still had to change the keyboard after booting though.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:21    Post subject: Re: Giving a new try for Fatdog /Fatdog64-702.iso  

I will bite Smile

Quote:
Giving a new try for Fatdog /Fatdog64-702.iso

Please don't. Try Fatdog64-710 instead.

Pelo wrote:
I will never understand why people choose an OS which is 64 bits, getting 32 bits unavailable.

It's time to let go: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3018221/ubuntu-1710-wont-have-a-32-bit-installation-option.

Also, if all your machines has 2GB RAM or less, there is indeed no point to go 64-bit.

That being said, even phones from last year (or is it two years ago) has embraced 64-bit. I don't do iphone; but iphones have even deprecated support for 32-bit app.

belham2

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:27    Post subject:  

Keef wrote:
quirkian2new

Yes you can do a 'frugal'.
Copy the porteus folder to your HDD. You could copy the boot folder, but simpler to make a new boot folder on the HDD then copy vmliunz and initrd.xz from /boot/syslinux.
Nothing else needed.
My grub4dos entry is:

Code:
title Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE
  uuid  17d33b37-4aaa-49af-8bf7-7ed81c552c4b
  #find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/initrd.xz
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz changes=/porteus/ copy2ram kmap=uk nocd timezone=Europe/London
  initrd /boot/initrd.xz

Still had to change the keyboard after booting though.

Hi Keef,

Well, I just tried this on 4 different machines (3 desktops and 1 laptop) and I could not get it to work. I have a 'frugal' install of the latest Porteus that works no problem from the attached USB-IDE Hard drive. It's grub4dos entry is this:

Code:
title Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64 (sda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64 changes=/Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/porteus/
  initrd /Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz

or this also works:

Code:
title Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64 (sda1)
  uuid #######-####-####-########
  kernel /Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64 changes=/Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/porteus/
  initrd /Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz

But the moment I change them to what you wrote (in how to run Porteus in RAM), specifically the "changes=/porteus/ copy2ram kmap=uk nocd timezone=Europe/London", without having the "from= before it....Porteus would not boot at all, anywhere on my machines. Booting kept stopping at the dreaded:

Code:
Searching for...
..porteus-v3.2-x86_64.sgn file
bootup message. And the .sgn file is there, staring me in the face, otherwise using my frugal boot method above would not work without it. Then bootup just displays:

Code:
 Porteus not found.  Maybe you are using an unsupported boot device...blah, blah, blah

We know this isn't true, otherwise I wouldn't be booting into my Porteus above 'frugally' (the 1st two entries above) and running it with no issues.

Would be curious if anyone else got this "porteus fully booted in RAM' thing to actually work? I went through something similar a few weeks ago with Fred (Ddogs creator) and porteus in RAM just would not work for me on the laptop, but it did easily on the three desktops. So why won't Porteus itself work here?

Anyone else booting Porteus x86_64 v3.2 fully in "RAM" only?????
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 13:24    Post subject:  

Belham wrote:
But the moment I change them to what you wrote (in how to run Porteus in RAM), specifically the "changes=/porteus/ copy2ram kmap=uk nocd timezone=Europe/London", without having the "from= before it....Porteus would not boot at all, anywhere on my machines. Booting kept stopping at the dreaded:

Code:
Searching for...

I think that's because you don't have the "porteus" folder on the root of the drive, (you placed it in "Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64")
Keef kept "porteus" on the root, only changed the path to initrd.xz and vmlinuz. (then no "from=/..." is required, because "porteus" will be found automatically)

Fred
belham2

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 17:11    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Belham wrote:

Code:
Searching for...

I think that's because you don't have the "porteus" folder on the root of the drive, (you placed it in "Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64")
Keef kept "porteus" on the root, only changed the path to initrd.xz and vmlinuz. (then no "from=/..." is required, because "porteus" will be found automatically)

Fred

Hi Fred,

Dumb & Dumber time again: I didn't put it on the "root" because I was afraid it might do something to all my other Ddog and Puppy 'frugal' installs. So I gotta put it in or rather on, the "root" directly? Anything else have to go directly on 'root'?? Like the .sgn file??? Or....??? I'll give it a go as long as you promise---PROMISE!!----me that nothing is going to happen to my other ~25 installs there Cool
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 18:20    Post subject:  

Belham wrote:
Hi Fred,

Dumb & Dumber time again: I didn't put it on the "root" because I was afraid it might do something to all my other Ddog and Puppy 'frugal' installs. So I gotta put it in or rather on, the "root" directly? Anything else have to go directly on 'root'?? Like the .sgn file??? Or....??? I'll give it a go as long as you promise---PROMISE!!----me that nothing is going to happen to my other ~25 installs there Cool

It's not that you gotta put it on the root, I was just trying to explain why Keef's example didn't work for you. The menu.lst entries you showed work, so not a problem, right?
But if you put "porteus" on the root of the partition, and you have other porteus install (with also "porteus" on the root of another partition), then, only then, it may conflict with each other.
The DDog or Puppy installs have no "porteus" folder, so no danger.

Fred
quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 20:27    Post subject:
Subject description: missing initrd.xz

hello keef and belham2,

looking into the contents of the iso downloaded, i can't find any initrd.xz or initrd.gz or initrd at all.

only able to find vmlinuz and porteus.sgn in /porteus folder and the following files in the /porteus/base folder. So where am i going to start. seems porteus frugal is much much much more difficult for an average puppy user.

Thanks in advance
Screenshot(1).jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   40.75 KB
 Viewed   108 Time(s)

Screenshot(1).jpg

Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: