Atheros AR9271 usb wireless n adapter drivers for dpup 487

mtzlplex

Atheros AR9271 usb wireless n adapter drivers for dpup 487

#1 Post by mtzlplex »

Good day to all. My project for today is to try to get my Penguin Linux usb wireless n adapter(Atheros AR9271) to be recognized by dpup 487 linux(kernel 2.6.30.5(i686). The Penguin adapter is known good, works with lxpup, and slacko(both recognized immediately).

I know I need the driver, as dpup does not have it on board(even in load more drivers, I tried all Atheros drivers and none worked). I`ve been researching this for the past couple of days, and have not come up with anything I thought I could trust, and understand to help me.

I am running dpup off a cd, as to try it out before I go to the trouble of doing a frugal install to the hd.

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice/thoughts about my situation

Regards
mtzlplex

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

Hmmm, I'm running kernel 3.4.82. This one has the ath9k wireless drivers

In your directory, look up this path

/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath

If that doesnt work remove the "dot 5" from the kernel version.
I presume ath5k is there, but maybe also ath6kL and ath9k and carl9170 and a generic ath.ko.

What do you see when going to this directory?

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mtzlplex

#3 Post by mtzlplex »

Hey 8Geee, thanks for the interest in my quandary. Yes, the ath9k drivers are there, but they specify pci wireless lan cards(in the load extra drivers area), not the usb I have, unless I am missing something, which at my age is always a possibility. I had actually went ahead and tried all of the Atheros drivers including ath9k before I came here to ask for help, with no results. The only usb type I see in my list is for the Atheros AR9170 usb, and I even tried it, and all other Atheros drivers with no results.

I bought this Penguin n wireless adapter because of it`s ability to work with linux, and it does, (ubuntu/lubuntu/mx16 &15/lxpup/slacko just to name a few I`ve tried recognized immediately), so it is known good. I figured it would only be a matter of time before a puppy threw it a curve ball. I like this dpup, and this old computer I am planning to install it on if I get this wireless figured out runs extremely well with dpup on cd.

I was hoping that there was a compiled Atheros usb AR9271 driver out there somewhere that I had missed in my research.

Is there something I am missing. I know puppy is kernel specific, the last time I was here in the forum, rcrsn51 helped me out by writing me a driver I needed that had not been written for another adapter I was trying to use at the time.

Be nice if I could figure this out with some help, but actually it wouldn`t surprise me if it didn`t happen. I know sometimes Puppy can be unforgiving.

Thanks for the reply, I`ll wait to hear what you think.

Regards
mtzlplex

mtzlplex

#4 Post by mtzlplex »

Please disregard this thread, I ended up just getting a 30ft ethernet cable, and using that. It was a little bit of a hastle, but at least I have internet. Thanks to 8Geee, and anyone else that took time to look at this thread.

Regards
mtzlplex

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

OK, but I looked up the USB Atheros 9271... it appears to windows 7/8 only, not for linux.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mtzlplex

#6 Post by mtzlplex »

Hey 8Geee, here is a link to Penguin that describes the specs: https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... pe-n150usb . On the right hand side of the page there is catagory, under it is the chipset AR9271.

Robert123

#7 Post by Robert123 »

Mmmmmm says on that page kernel 2.6.38+
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

mtzlplex

#8 Post by mtzlplex »

Hey Robert 123, thanks for jumping in. This is the first time I had found that specific Penguin support page for my adapter, and I also noticed the kernel needed, which is not the kernel I have on my cd. I also noticed on the left side of that support page there was mention of Debian also needing an additional firmware update as well. Dpup is a Debian/Puppy hybrid I believe, so that too could be thrown into the mix. Just a noob here, I thought it would be plug and play, maybe get/update a driver just like all the other linux distros this Penguin adapter to worked on. I think this is way out of my league, and would not want anyone else to waste their time. I believe I will just let this thread lay. Thanks to you, and all others that took time to have a look see.

Regards
Mtzlplex