A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#21 Post by backi »

Hi Keniv !

Regarding problem 2:
Tested Logout:

Menu to choose:

Cancel--Shutdown--Reboot-Exit X--Suspend

Using Shutdown for me did not cause System to reboot.Are you sure you did not hit "Reboot" ?

Regarding problem 1:
You are correct......but do not know how to fix it .

fredx181

#22 Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:Hello All,
I'd like to ask a couple of questions.
1. Can someone tell me how to fix the position of the desktop icons.
I have tried switching them from horizontal to vertical. However when l reboot I get a mixture of both. If I move them manually on rebooting they've moved back. I can't find a way to fix them in one position.
2. The above problem is trivial but this one is more of an issue. I have found after shutting down the machine seems to reboot. I have not seen it do this but I've come back to find it on twice. It only seems to happen with euclid. Has anyone else noticed this. I know some pups have had shutdown problems in the past but this is not the problem I have. It shutsdown then reboots.

Regards,

Ken.
Regarding 1. Some time ago there was the same problem and I thought this was fixed (with newer xfce4 version) but obviously not.

At that time I made little workaround script, it's: /usr/local/bin/desk-icons
- Copy it to ~/Startup
- Exit X and from console, type startx (then the desk-icons script is loaded at startup/login)
- Make your changes for icon positions on the Desktop
- Required to wait around 5 seconds before exiting (xfdesktop is rather slow in saving the changes properly :?: )
Then to test, exit X and startx again, if it's OK it should work after reboot also.
EDIT: Sorry, after more testing I found that it doesn't work always, I'll search for a better solution tomorrow.
EDIT2: Attached "desk-icons" script, extract in ~/Startup
Added "xfdesktop --reload" to the script, it should work now (also after exiting X)

For 2. Same as backi, I can't reproduce that.

Fred
Attachments
desk-icons.tar.gz
Workaround to remember desktop icons position, extract in ~/Startup
(324 Bytes) Downloaded 97 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

#23 Post by keniv »

@backi @ fredx181,
Thanks for trying to reproduce problem 2. It does not happen every time or even most of the time. I am sure it's not me hitting reboot. If it was this it would boot back into the first entry of my grub menu and it would appear fairly quickly. It seems to boot up after some time. It might be the machine I suppose but it doesn't seem to happen with other pups. I think when I shutdown euclid I will boot into another pup then shut it down. If I get it to happen with another pup it would point me in the direction of the machine rather than the pups.
@fredx181
Thanks for looking for a solution to the icon problem.

Regards,

Ken.
Edit Tried the icon work around. Still working after reboot.

Max Headroom

#24 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day there Zagreb999 or anybody eLse that knows How 2 Fix the Error Booting euclid2 gfxboot.c32: not a COM32R image, of course I've done an iNet search & tried Tab, Type live & press eNter, doesn't work. I've tried Booting from CD & USB isobooter, Both No Splash & ChainLoading!

I'm Really Very Keen 2 Try this Flavor because I've just Received a 2.4 GHz i5 ( ie. QuadCore ) & XFCE is one of Me Favorite Desktop eNvironments, However I'm Wundering if this Error is Related 2 Compatibility of aRchitecture???

Oops, I've Only just noticed that this is a 32 bit OS & I Need 2 be Using a 64 bit, I Welcome or invite Recommendations besides FatDog64 or Barrys Quirky Xerus64-8.3 or the recently Retired Debi'Dog ( :( Sadly! ) that I'm unaware of

:shock: K

fredx181

#25 Post by fredx181 »

@keniv
See EDIT2 and attached "desk-icons" here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 785#965785

It should work better anyway now and also after exiting X (not only after reboot)

Fred

keniv

#26 Post by keniv »

@fredx181
Thanks for your script. It's working fine so far including reboots. I have a bit more information with problem 2. This only seems to happen when I seem to get an incomplete shutdown. Shutdown gets to page with "System going to system halt now" It does not get to the last page with the debian logo before it shutsdown. This also seems to affect the hardware clock. When I reset it all is well again. I don't know if this helps.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#27 Post by keniv »

I seem to have lost a post somewhere. I think I have a work around for problem 2. If instead of using shutdown I EXIT X then at the command line I type in "poweroff" I see the last page of the shutdown routine ie page showing
"session already saved using overlay". I think I have also fixed the problem with the hardware clock by resetting then syncing it using lucid.I could not find how to do it in euclid.

Regards,

Ken.

backi

#28 Post by backi »

Can not quite understand why you have shutdown Problems .
But maybe try these Scripts :
wmpoweroff:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Written for alphaOS: http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos
# Author: archpup@gmail.com
# Adapted for DebianDog using 'porteus-boot' by fredx181
#
# Distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
# http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec gsu ${0}

if [ -f /mnt/live/etc/nochanges ] && [ ! -f /tmp/savefile.txt ]; then
yad --title="Create savefile" --center --text="Do you want to save your changes in a savefile?" \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --button="gtk-quit:1" --button="gtk-ok:0"
ret=$?
if [ $ret -eq 0 ]; then
makepfile.sh
fi
fi

if [ -f /mnt/live/tmp/changes-exit ]; then
yad --title="Save changes" --center --text=" Do you want to save your changes?\n If not, click the 'NoSave' button within 30 seconds " \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --timeout=30 --timeout-indicator bottom --buttons-layout=spread --button="Save:0" --button="NoSave:2" --button="Cancel:1"
ret=$?
case $ret in

1|252)
exit
;;
2)
touch /mnt/live/tmp/changesx
gtkdialog-splash -timeout 4 -bg "dark red" -fg yellow -text "Session not saved" -close never
;;
0|70)
alsactl store 0
touch /mnt/live/tmp/sessionsaved
save2flash
;;
esac
fi
if [ -f /mnt/live/etc/nochanges ] && [ -f /tmp/savefile.txt ]; then
save2flash
fi

sleep 0.3
poweroff

Another one :

wmreboot :

#!/bin/bash
#
# Written for alphaOS: http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos
# Author: archpup@gmail.com
# Adapted for DebianDog using 'porteus-boot' by fredx181
#
# Distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
# http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec gsu ${0}

if [ -f /mnt/live/etc/nochanges ] && [ ! -f /tmp/savefile.txt ]; then
yad --title="Create savefile" --center --text="Do you want to save your changes in a savefile?" \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --button="gtk-quit:1" --button="gtk-ok:0"
ret=$?
if [ $ret -eq 0 ]; then
makepfile.sh
fi
fi

if [ -f /mnt/live/tmp/changes-exit ]; then
yad --title="Save changes" --center --text=" Do you want to save your changes?\n If not, click the 'NoSave' button within 30 seconds " \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --timeout=30 --timeout-indicator bottom --buttons-layout=spread --button="Save:0" --button="NoSave:2" --button="Cancel:1"
ret=$?

case $ret in

1|252)
exit
;;
2)
gtkdialog-splash -timeout 4 -bg "dark red" -fg yellow -text "Session not saved" -close never
;;
0|70)
alsactl store 0
save2flash
;;
esac
fi
if [ -f /mnt/live/etc/nochanges ] && [ -f /tmp/savefile.txt ]; then
save2flash
fi

sleep 0.3
reboot

Make them executable (hope you know how to do it ) and test

keniv

#29 Post by keniv »

@backi
I already replied to the post above. This is the second post I've lost. I tried your first script which did shutdown euclid but caused an error with the hadrware clock. I now seem to have so many odd errors I am thinking of re-downloading the iso and make a new frugal install. If that does not remove these niggles I may give up.

Regards,

Ken.

backi

#30 Post by backi »

Hi keniv !
Sorry for you ....... never ever heard of such a bug before ....yes better make a new download.
But why not download another Debian Dog Stetch .......Trinity Dog .
Based on Trinity Desktop .Except Desktop it is almost identical to euclid2.

Good Luck .

keniv

#31 Post by keniv »

Hello backi,
I've downloaded euclid again. The first time I got it from ally's mirror so I've tried the other site just in case. It's not a completey clean install as I used my existing changes. dat file. It seems to be working properly but I've had this before so I'll do a bit more testing. If it fails I'll try a clean install. As I like euclid I'll also try your alternative suggestion. I sounds good to me.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#32 Post by keniv »

Well after the re-download of the iso, reinstall using the same change.dat file and about 10 boot ups and shutdowns none of my previous problems have shown up so I presume my problems were due to a corrupt download. BTW is there an md5 check sum for the iso. If so can someone point me to it. Still not 100% confident but it's looking better than before.

Regards,

Ken.