How to update SlimJet? Tahrpup 6.0.5

Using applications, configuring, problems
SolusUmbra

How to update SlimJet? Tahrpup 6.0.5

#1 Post by SolusUmbra »

It says I can update SlimJet but I haven't a clue how to do it.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, SolusUmbra.

Yes, the browser will tell you there's a new version available.....but all it does is send you to FlashPeak's website, where you can download the new version, which you then have to install yourself. It's not like FireFox, where the updater does all the work for you.....or, indeed, the Windows version of Chrome, where the same thing happens.

However, it's quite simple in Puppy. You unload the old SlimJet SFS.....and you load the new SlimJet SFS. Easy-peasy. Don't, whatever you do, download and install the Debian/Ubuntu .deb packages; if you do, you'll bugger up permissions throughout Puppy, and it takes forever to get them right again.....because Debian/Ubuntu are designed as multi-user systems, where everybody is just a user. Unlike Pup, which was designed as a single-user system.....where that user is, of necessity, in full control of the system. This is why Pup 'runs as root'.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Puppy packages usually come in two different types. There's the traditional .pet packages, which load with a click.....and are uninstalled through the PPM (Puppy Package Manager.)

Or, there's the SFS (Squash File System) packages, which tend to get used for larger programs. When you install a .pet package, it occupies 'Puppy-space', in your save-file/folder. SFS packages tend to get put in /mnt/home (the root of your Pup's partition), then loaded/unloaded with a single-click, using shinobar's SFS 'load on the fly' utility. This way, they only occupy partition-space.....but never 'Puppy-space'.

I hope that makes sense!

Large applications, like browsers, almost always tend to get made up as SFS packages, for two reasons. The first is the one I've just given. The second is because browsers are frequently up-dated.....and the SFS system allows you to swap 'em over very easily, since it doesn't actually alter your browser settings.

OscarTalks' regularly updates his series of 32-bit SlimJet packages.....and I do the same for the 64-bit Puppies. You can find Oscar's SlimJet packages here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97172

.....and mine here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106957

If you're not quite certain exactly how to use 'em, we can soon guide you through the process. It's very easy.

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:

SolusUmbra

#3 Post by SolusUmbra »

Ok, so I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that my browser at the moment is a .pet because I found it listed in the Puppy Package Manager.
I see on the site that there is a .pet and a sfs download.
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB

Not sure which one I need to download.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Use the pet download.

The Puppy Package Manager(PPM). installed it.
A new pet install should install over the old one.

If you want to make sure the old Slimjet was a install and not a sfs download.
Look in the PPM uninstall.
If it is listed. It is an installed program.
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

SolusUmbra

#5 Post by SolusUmbra »

So I don't need to uninstall the old one first?

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Usually yes.

The new install will just replace the old install.
However, really depends on what it is and exactly who coded it and for what version of Linux.

The PPM(puppy package manager) can install stuff coded for other Linux operating systems, but usually work OK on Puppy.
Tahrpup's PPM offers some stuff that was coded for Ubuntu Linux.
So, a install over one of those programs could have issues.

The only 100% way to be sure.
Uninstall the old version by using the PPM uninstall.
Install the new version.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

SolusUmbra

#7 Post by SolusUmbra »

Thank you, both

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

I have just uploaded SlimJet 15.1.2.0 (32bit)
This version has a fix for the YouTube downloader button so take note if this feature is important to you.
This works OK in TahrPup and Slacko 6.3.2 (and anything later) but be aware that it won't run in earlier Puppies such as Precise or Slacko 5.7
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB?force_show=1
Oscar in England

SolusUmbra

#9 Post by SolusUmbra »

Thank you I was wondering what happened to that button.

Limbomusic

slmjet 15.1.2.0 (32bit)

#10 Post by Limbomusic »

Thank you OscarTalks - I just installed your slimjet 15.1.2.0 (32bit).pet (in tahr6.0.6) and it works flawlessly. Superthanx :-)
Just a little tip: I couldn't get slimjet to save passwords - until I found the setting:

Use quick form filler instead of default password manager

I unticked it and slimjet now asks to save passwords like chrome does ;-)

---edit ---
I'm over the moon about this version of slimjet - everything just works (utube, embedded videos, javascript-mp3-stuff) no nagging about running as root, cast (to chromecast) works fine. My chrome-theme and also the extension "rescroller" (which is a must for me to enlarge scrollbar) works. This is now my favorite browser ! (on 32bit) yippikayey :-)

thatlldopig

#11 Post by thatlldopig »

Oh, God I just installed the ubuntu/deb version of Slimjet. I can confirm this is a Very Bad Thing. My xenial pup is only a few weeks old, so I think I will just write everything down and re-install. Slimjet never came up and all the other browsers (Firefox, Waterfox, Palemoon) died, except for Chrome. Live and learn. I really should browse the boards more. Thanks for the heads up anyway. Better late than never.

darry19662018

#12 Post by darry19662018 »

I have made a Wiki entry to make it easier to track .pets for this browser.

It is advisable where possible to use our wiki first to see if there is info on a particular program though in this particular case there was nothing about Slimjet.