Octave .pet

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
bluekryptonite

Octave .pet

#1 Post by bluekryptonite »

I am new to linux. I wanted to install the latest version of Octave for a course that I am currently enrolled in, on a machine with Slacko Puppy 6.3.2 OS. I did some search for any available Octave installers for Slacko Puppy, but I was not able to find any. I did find some old versions of Octave installers, but that won't be suitable for this course. My understanding is that one can download .tar.gz packages and compile them. I am not experienced in compiling the installers from source code, nor do I have the luxury of having free time to learn how to do it (i am on a tight timeline for completing the course).

If there are any Octave installers for Slacko Puppy, I'd appreciate if you could share a link.

Thanks

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

At least Octave 3.8.1 is in the ubuntu repository for Trusty Tahr - or even Tahr Puppy. Don't like Slacko...
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi bluekryptonite,

I agree with Lazy Puppy that you're better off using Tahrpup. Or perhaps Xenialpup which also provides the Octave application thru its Puppy Package Manager.

Slacko is a fine basic operating system. On some computers it will provide better sound or displays. But it's based on Slackware which is (a) a very conservative distro in terms of implementing changes; and (b) expects the user to compile other than the basic packages.

Tahrpup and Xenialpup are based on Ubuntu which, intending to be user-friendly, provides packages for many more applications. Additionally, independent application developers almost always create a package (and provide instructions) for Ubuntu.

That said, you should also know that Puppies which are 'binary compatible' with another distro aren't identical to that distro. Some foundations Ubuntus include in order to make them what Ubuntu thinks is 'user-friendly' Puppies leave out, accomplishing their objective in a more efficient (less resource-hungry) manner. While installing applications from Ubuntu repos often work, sometimes they don't until you've also added other files.

Rather than just trying to use PPM to install Octave, I recommend that you follow the instructions here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 945#960945 which employs Lazy Puppy's excellent PaDS, to create an SFS. SFSes are not installed, but like portables for Windows are loaded and unloaded as and when you need them, or can be left always loaded. Instructions are also provided there on how to convert an SFS into a pet you can install.

In building applications, there are a couple of other things you should know which can help. The first is how to use ldd. Once you've built and loaded an SFS or installed a pet, restart-X (graphic server) which will re-catalog what is on your system. I believe both Tahrpup and Xenialpup provide ldd on the menu: Menu>Utilities>ListDD list dynamic dependencies. Start that application and click the Packages button. Select your application. Click Check Dependencies. Make a note of what, if anything, is missing.

There's another way to use ldd. You can use Menu>Filesystem>pfind to locate an application's executable/binary. It will always be in a bin or sbin folder. Then you can open ldd from the menu and use its browser button to locate the binary in its directory. Doing it this way, you can select the 'Missing' button and, if necessary, copy the resulting text file for latter use. [If your Puppy doesn't provide ldd via a menu, ask how to use it via a terminal. All Puppies have it. Some don't provide a GUI].

The other thing you should be aware of is Ubuntu's Search site: https://packages.ubuntu.com/. If all else fails, you can use it to track-down what Ubuntu thinks are dependencies and make certain you've included them.

mikesLr