Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 13:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Using AppImages in Puppy...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 4 [52 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
don570

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017, 20:13    Post subject:  

The latest appimage for mypaint...

https://transfer.sh/lekBy/MyPaint-1.3.0-git.78e083f.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage

The method for getting this download site is...

go to https://travis-ci.org/mypaint/mypaint
then look at bottom of script (near bottom of page)

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep 2017, 11:38    Post subject:  

Thanks for that, Don.

All information pertaining to use of AppImages gratefully received.....

Cheers.

Mike. Wink

don570

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep 2017, 14:11    Post subject: gimp 2.9.5  

There is an appimage for gimp 2.9.5 that has mypaint brushes included
Available HERE

However I find the brushes slow so I prefer mypaint as a standing app.
Latest version of mypaint has perspective tool.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep 2017, 08:42    Post subject:  

Hi.

Yesterday evening accidentially I found a Kdenlive 17.04 AppImage:

It needs QT5 to be installed, otherwise it complains about a missing qt xcf plugin and won't start.

https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/Kdenlive-17.04.1b-x86_64.AppImage.mirrorlist

In tahr64 I got a segmentation fault and it crashed after trying to import/drag'n'drop a mp4 video into Kdenlive.

Probably it may work in Xenial64?

Meanwhile there's also a Kdenlive version for Windows available, though I can't test, since I do not own a 64bit Windows version.

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 06:57    Post subject:  

Morning, all.

I've made another discovery with regard to WIRE, the VOIP/chat AppImage.

Back on page 3 of this thread, I mentioned about WIRE creating a fresh 'instance' of itself each time, when running it on multiple Puppies, even using the same 'common' AppImage in each Pup.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=953425#953425

Mike Walsh wrote:
If you approach your 7-login 'limit, you're offered the chance to input your password and delete an existing login, thus enabling you to login afresh on a new machine. It works well, and there's no limit to the number of times you can chop and change like this.

The only other thing I find a bit niggling is that on a fresh login, Wire won't show your chat history 'for security reasons'. Existing logins, this shows up as expected when you fire it up.

As stated above, when running a common AppImage this way on multiple Pups (unlike with Skype), your chat 'history' won't be synced across every instance of WIRE, due to WIRE 'seeing' each Pup as a fresh 'install', if you like.....and WireGmBH have coded it to work like this for 'security' reasons..! Shocked Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The essential difference here is that Skype keeps your configuration details remotely on a cloud server somewhere, linked into your a/c details.....whereas WIRE keeps that same information locally, as a set of configuration files, in a folder named 'Wire' in /root/.config.

What this means is as follows:-

a) You're having a chat conversation with somebody in Puppy 'A'.
b) For whatever reason, you decide to switch to Puppy 'B', but wish to continue the conversation. You open WIRE, but.....no chat 'history' (for security reasons.) So, you have to remember what you were chatting about..... Rolling Eyes

This struck me as absolutely DAFT.....although I can see the 'logic' behind it, since WIRE is primarily intended for smartphones. And most people only have one smartphone, which they keep with them at all times. Although the Linux desktop client is freely available (and works very well), it's still set up to work like the phone app...and those 'security reasons' are obviously in effect in case your phone gets stolen, and/or falls into the wrong hands.

There IS an easy way round this. Idea

SOLUTION

You keep a 'common' .config folder in a remote location, separate from all your Pups (if that location is set to auto-mount at boot, all the better).....and you simply sym-link it into your /root/.config directory in each Pup, before firing-up WIRE.

Result? WIRE now 'sees' each Pup's instance of itself as the same 'install'.....and your chat history is preserved across your kennels. Very Happy

Hope that helps anyone who's been trying to suss this one out..!

Mike. Wink

don570

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2017, 14:28    Post subject:  

Quote:
You keep a 'common' .config folder in a remote location, separate from all your Pups (if that location is set to auto-mount at boot, all the better).....and you simply sym-link it into your /root/.config directory in each Pup, before firing-up WIRE.

Clever Idea

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2017, 16:02    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
Quote:

Clever Idea

Mm. Works, though! It's the same way that I run the Chromium-based browsers in all my 32-bit Pups. I run the same ones in every Pup, by keeping a common version of the browser plus its .cache & .config files on the same remote partition.....then sym-linking everything into Puppy at the appropriate point where Pup expects to find it.

End result is that I run just four browsers.....instead of nine different copies of each of those four for nine Pups (a total of 36). With each 'install' occupying close on 280 MB you multiply that by 36, and you've soon used more than 10 GB of space up, through unnecessary 'mass-duplication'.

You can only use one copy of each in any one Pup at any given moment....so although complex to set up initially, it pays dividends in the long run.

I have davids45 to thank for that innovation.....and it's all simply making use of an existing facility within Pup; the powerful, and very versatile, sym-link function.

Mike. Wink

Page 4 of 4 [52 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: