Intel Graphics problem

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mdavies5

Intel Graphics problem

#1 Post by mdavies5 »

I have been looking for a portable Linux distro. I downloaded tahr64-6.0.5.iso and created a live USB stick. This worked fine in an older Lenovo so I installed onto a 16Gb USB stick, booted from this and saved my profile.
Now I tried to boot on my new Toshiba with Intel 956 Broadwell-U video. I got some video, such as the wallpaper and a blank toolbar. I could click on areas where I knew something should be and I could get empty windows. EG The logout window with a window title but no other text. I disabled the xorg.conf file and tried again but the result was no wallpaper, just a blank toolbar.
I retried the Toshiba with the original 'Live' USB and the problem was the same.
The Lenovo has 4Gb RAM with dual core processor and the Lenovo 12Gb with I3 processor.
Any suggestions? I find a portable system very handy to carry in my toolkit when doing repairs.
Apart from this, a very good distro. I am about to try the slacko version to see if it is any different.

foxpup

#2 Post by foxpup »

Do you use your old profile/pupsave on the new machine?
Did you try to boot on the new machine with pfix=ram, without pupsave? How is that?

LateAdopter

#3 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello mdavies5

You might be better off trying Xenialpup64 from here:http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/xenialpup/

Trusty Tahr is a year older than your hardware and Intel drivers were pretty buggy anyway.

I did use Tahr64 with my Intel Braswell N3150 which is also Gen 8 graphics. I updated the Intel driver from a PPA on Launchpad and it was OK then. But the packagers on Launchpad have mostly abandoned Trusty, so I don't think that is possible now.

I changed from Tahr64 to Xenialpup64 for 18 months ago.

mdavies5

#4 Post by mdavies5 »

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, I did use same profile on both machines; not by choice it just happened. But, remember, the problem persisted with the Live usb with no saved profile.
I didn't know about the xenial version. I checked the repository and chose the latest version; I was a bit surprised at it's age.
Good News. I have now tested the Slack version slacko64-6.9.9.9-uefi-k4.9-FF-LO.iso and this works fine on both machines. Using a saved session but just had to create 2 Wireless profiles to suit different wifi drivers.
Thanks again for your help.