Funny noises in laptop fan in Tahr64 605

Using applications, configuring, problems
Rattlehead

Funny noises in laptop fan in Tahr64 605

#1 Post by Rattlehead »

I have a new 64 bits laptop that came with Ubuntu preinstalled. Now I'm trying to move to Tahrpup605 64bits. Firstly, I had to change the kernel with the change_kernels script and use Xenialpup's (version 7.0.8.5.), because Tahr didn't detected the wifi. Now it works fine, but I've noticed that the fan makes all the time a funny noise that doesn't happen in Ubuntu.

It's like Ubuntu's fan sound, but more high pitched (sounds something like "cruig... cruig...", every now and then) The fan is on even when the computer is just open and temperature is low.

The computer has a ssd drive, so the noise can only come from the fan. I've also opened the DVD unit to make sure it stops, and the sound keeps going. The sound is louder on the ventilation side, so that's why I think it comes from the fan.

I have never explored the world of computer fans, so I would help if anybody could bring me support in this area;

Has someone experienced this kind of problem with Puppy?

The noise is annoying and doesn't sound right, can it be harmful to the computer, or it's just nasty?

Is it normal that different distros have different fan sounds?

How could I troubleshoot a fan problem like this? Is there any program available for Tahr64 that allows you control/monitor your fan?

Thank you for any hint you can provide. After checking what Bloatbuntu has to offer, I'm trying hard to stick to Puppy... :)