NAMeTHAtPUPPy -Gm6 on!

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
belham2

NAMeTHAtPUPPy -Gm6 on!

#1 Post by belham2 »

Given the existential crisis going on in the Project Thread "Can Someone Define: What is Puppy?", I thought what better time than now to launch a little game that both serves a purpose or reminding us and also can provide a little fun.

The objective: NAME THAT PUPPY. Screen snapshots (of the stock DE booted up plus slowly revealed apps) will be provided now, then (if needed) tomorrow & the day after until the right answer is provided or the game ends on Friday with the exact puppy distro version revealed. I cannot give any more clues than this----every puppy (yup, you heard right) every puppy in existence, since the beginning, is fair game.

Here we go.. Good luck!! (Hint: if pulling guesses out your rear, try to provide a little justification for them by either saying what else (i.e app versions, icons, or whatever) it was that led you to your guess)
Attachments
The-first-hint-of-Name-That-Puppy.jpg
(76.76 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Name-That-Puppy.jpg
(202.93 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Last edited by belham2 on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 09:10, edited 10 times in total.

battleshooter

#2 Post by battleshooter »

Haha, seems like fun Belham.

I really want to say one of the first Quirkys from BarryK. I really should know though, as this is one of the Puppies I used to use daily ugh. :oops:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

jrb

#3 Post by jrb »

Too Easy!
Puppy 4.3 - 4.31, the first of the woof built puppies! and still one of my favourites. :D

I remember that desktop well, also still one of my favourites. Doesn't seem that long ago.

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

Looks like 4.31

battleshooter

#5 Post by battleshooter »

jrb wrote:Too Easy!
Puppy 4.3 - 4.31, the first of the woof built puppies! and still one of my favourites. :D

I remember that desktop well, also still one of my favourites. Doesn't seem that long ago.
p310don wrote:Looks like 4.31
Aww snap, how embarrassing :oops: :lol:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

belham2

#6 Post by belham2 »

jrb wrote:Too Easy!
Puppy 4.3 - 4.31
p310don wrote:Looks like 4.31
Darn, figured this one might be too easy but wasn't sure. :) Keep forgetting there's still quite of lot of other long timers & devotees here.

Yup, you guys nailed it: It is the 4.31 ISO, one of Barry's most beautiful works back then. I've still got it on a 128MG compact flash card and it still screams (in terms of speed) and watching Seamonkey snap open, among other things.

Below is what was going to be my other two (picture) clues, in order of release (doing them one at a time):
Attachments
The-second-hint-of-Name-That-Puppy.jpg
(61.94 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
The-third-hint-of-Name-That-Puppy.jpg
(247.8 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Last edited by belham2 on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#7 Post by belham2 »

Ok, stay tuned----tonight I will do another, sticking to the same format (showing the first boot up desktop screen that we saw when the creator released it), and also giving other program and/or script hints residing in it. This time I'm going to dig a little more deeper and a little more obscure :twisted: , but still, for us devoted puppy-murga-linux bobbleheads, it too will probably jump out.

P.S. If anyone wants to jump in with theirs before I do another tonight, by all means please, please do so. We keep trying new games until we solve them, and then the next one can come. Thus, this thread is welcome & open for everyone to contribute both as 'game player' and 'mystery game OS originator'. Over the past 15 years there's been such a flowering of puppies it is almost magical, our choices are many, and it's a great way to remember what happened along those years as Puppy Linux came to be where it is today :D

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

belham2 wrote:Ok, stay tuned----tonight I will do another, sticking to the same format (showing the first boot up desktop screen that we saw when the creator released it), and also giving other program and/or script hints residing in it. This time I'm going to dig a little more deeper and a little more obscure :twisted: , but still, for us devoted puppy-murga-linux bobbleheads, it too will probably jump out.

P.S. If anyone wants to jump in with theirs before I do another tonight, by all means please, please do so. We keep trying new games until we solve them, and then the next one can come. Thus, this thread is welcome & open for everyone to contribute both as 'game player' and 'mystery game OS originator'. Over the past 15 years there's been such a flowering of puppies it is almost magical, our choices are many, and it's a great way to remember what happened along those years as Puppy Linux came to be where it is today :D
Official releases will be too easy. Try some odd puplet :wink:

belham2

Name That Puppy --- Game 2

#9 Post by belham2 »

Ok, here we go. Game 2. I intentionally did the first one in the mainstream, hoping to generate interest. But (for some) these will keep getting increasingly harder, and as nic007 suggests, in later on games I will veer into osbcure wilds of some of our pups over the years (I am going to enlist Pelo, haha, because he finds pups that are way out there and long ago neglected). Anyway, for Name That Puppy - Game 2, here's the First Clue, what you're greeted with upon first boot (after the standard pupsetup that all pups have):
Attachments
Name-That-Puppy---Game-2---First clue.jpg
(153.78 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

belham2

Name That Puppy - Game 2 - Second Clue

#10 Post by belham2 »

Ok, here's the second clue for Game 2:
Attachments
Name-That-Puppy--Game-2---Second Clue.jpg
(201.65 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

belham2

Name That Puppy - Game 2 - Third clue

#11 Post by belham2 »

...and here's the third clue too, seems this mystery pup is already stumping people 8)
Attachments
Name-That-Puppy--Game-2---Third Clue.jpg
(145.08 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

Sailor Enceladus

#12 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Nice idea belham! Hmm... the third clue reminds me of Lucid, but it think 5.2.8 came with Dillo. nic007 had to make it hard for us... :lol:

jrb

#13 Post by jrb »

OK, I shouldn't have bragged about pup431 being too easy. :oops:

This is one of the 10 early Quirkys, but I can't remember which one.

Robert123

#14 Post by Robert123 »

A Pemasu creation - Lucid based Snowpuppy.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63163
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

belham2

#15 Post by belham2 »

So far, you guys are whiffing at the plate and/or making contact but hitting foul balls. Thus, here's the 4th clue!
Attachments
Name-That-Puppy--Game-2---Fourth Clue.jpg
(159.3 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

belham2

#16 Post by belham2 »

....and 5th clue for those of you struggling :lol: (hint: this pup is surfing on straight ubuntu binaries (for gnome-mplayer, ffmpeg and the ffmpeg libraries, abiword, and gnumeric) for the 1st time!)
Attachments
Name-That-Puppy--Game-2---Fifth Clue.jpg
(154.29 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

jrb

#17 Post by jrb »

belham2 wrote:....and 5th clue for those of you struggling :lol: (hint: this pup is surfing on straight ubuntu binaries (for gnome-mplayer, ffmpeg and the ffmpeg libraries, abiword, and gnumeric) for the 1st time!)
OK, for the first time means it has to be Lucid Puppy 5.0. I remember the wallpaper really well but could have sworn it was a Quirky. :roll:

belham2

Name That Puppy - Game 2 -- Sixth & Final Clue

#18 Post by belham2 »

You guys are doing good, but you can't just call a BMW a BMW. There are: M1, 328i, 331i, 518i, 528i, 540i, 750i, etc, etc. What is the exact model of this puppy? This is the last and final hint (there's a huge hint in this picture for those who look closely):
Attachments
Name-That-Puppy--Game-2---Sixth Final Clue.jpg
(205.01 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

belham2

#19 Post by belham2 »

Ah well, thought someone would see it right away since I exposed it in the toolbar of the pic. Great job to those recognizing Lucid base, but this version is/was playdayz fantastic 'Lucid Maverick 002', and it came during a span of months that saw great flowering & promise on murga & the puppyverse. There was excitement in the air, very little bickering in the forums (unlike the polarizing stuff sadly going on now), and certainly no threads dedicated to fabricating and/or addressing a puppy existential crisis.

Lucid Maverick 002 stood as what one could still do with pups that already existed. Micko began to really show us what could be done with Petget, and the ubuntu binaries did wonders for various programs. Anyhow, here's the thread: just reading the first 1-3 or 4 pages of this thread gives you an idea (and feel) for what was going on at that time:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59990

Would anyone like to conduct the next "Name That Puppy" Game in this thread? :P ...It's late here thus I gotta try to get some shuteye.

Sailor Enceladus

#20 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Alright, what about this one :lol:
Attachments
image.png
(32.45 KiB) Downloaded 186 times