Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 11:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
SRWare 'Iron' browser; 64-bit SFS packages
Page 3 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017, 14:14    Post subject:  

***New Version: Iron 60.0.3150.1***

Evening, all.

The new release of Iron, 60.0.3150.1, is now available for download from the link in post #1. I've included the current version of PepperFlash, 26.0.0.151, which installs to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, as usual.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chrome 'upgrades' have once again carried over to Iron, since it's based very closely on it.....including the 'white on black' tooltips, which I'm still not too sure about! And the lack of highlighting in the bookmarks listings...

NetFlix is working, thanks once again to following SRWare's advice to 'poach' the libwidevinecdm.so module from the current version of Chrome itself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE

I'm going to be concentrating on the 64-bit packages of SlimJet and Iron from now on; my 'run' with the Chrome64 packages is coming to an end. The newest release of Chrome, 61, now requires the very newest version of Network Security Services (libnss.so.3), which Tahr 64 doesn't support, since the new libnss has to have a newer version of the glibc.

I've tried XenialPup64 on the big Compaq, and it just will not run correctly. Unless I can find another suitable 64-bit Pup, which isn't based on Tahr, that's it. Slacko64 is out, since Chrome hasn't run properly on there for a while now. And to the best of my knowledge, all 64-bit Pups are based on one or the other. My deepest apologies to any Chrome fans.

So; enjoy Iron, instead!

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep 2017, 18:24    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Iron 60.0.3150.1 does not start in Slacko 64-6.3.2.

Maybe a missing library?

It seems that anything based on Chrome 60 or above, loads but will not start!

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep 2017, 19:03    Post subject:  

orrin wrote:
Hi Mike,

Iron 60.0.3150.1 does not start in Slacko 64-6.3.2.

Maybe a missing library?

It seems that anything based on Chrome 60 or above, loads but will not start!

Hi, orrin.

Mm. Tell me about it. I don't know what they're doing over at the Chromium Project, but these last few releases have just been throwing up one problem after another. Partly, I believe it's to do with the fact that Puppy's essentially a lightweight distro, so doesn't tend to have all the stuff automatically downloaded & installed from the repos, the way it is for the big, mainstream distros...

What's the output from starting it via the terminal?

Code:
/usr/bin/iron

It's a good way to check for problems; usually gives you an indication of why it won't run. NSS, by any chance?

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep 2017, 21:34    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

What's the output from starting it via the terminal?

Code:
/usr/bin/iron

It's a good way to check for problems; usually gives you an indication of why it won't run. NSS, by any chance?

Yes, Gtk 3 is loaded and appears in /usr/lib64
Maybe the attached screen image will give you a clue as to the problem.
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   14.3 KB
 Viewed   295 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep 2017, 22:38    Post subject:  

That looks like a clash in GTK3 versions in my unexpert opinion
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2017, 13:09    Post subject:  

***New Version: Iron 61.0.3200.0***

Evening, all.

The new release of Iron, 61.0.3200.0, is now available for download from the link in post #1. I've included the current version of PepperFlash, 27.0.0.130, which installs to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, as usual.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chrome 'upgrades' have once again carried over to Iron, since it's based very closely on it.....including the 'white on black' tooltips, which I'm still not too sure about! And the lack of highlighting in the bookmarks listings...

NetFlix is working, thanks once again to following SRWare's advice to 'poach' the libwidevinecdm.so module from the current version of Chrome itself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The biggest change is that of Iron having moved to Chromium 61, thus the identical problems from Chrome 61 have reared their head. I have, therefore, made use of battleshooter's expert tuition again, and incorporated the same 'fix' he figured out for t'other browser.....due to Chromium requiring the very newest Network Security Services libraries. So far, it seems to be working.....

I've also added the 'silent-launch' feature to /root/Startup, which certain individuals have been raving about..!

Enjoy it while you can...

Mike. Wink

step

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2017, 15:45    Post subject:
Subject description: runs in Fatdog64

Iron-61.0.3200.0-amd64-slacko.sfs

This update appears to run in Fatdog64 after installing package gtk3 from the package manager and linking libpcre.so.3 with this command:
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib64/libpcre.so.{1.2.6,3}

Then start iron from a terminal as user spot:
Code:
run-as-spot iron &

A few error messages that aren't fatal:
Code:

/opt/iron/nacl_helper: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[1:1:1005/213535.094326:ERROR:nacl_fork_delegate_linux.cc(316)] Bad NaCl helper startup ack (0 bytes)
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

Tab bar and menus use a fixed-size font. I don't know if that's the intended iron style, but it looks good for a change.

Thanks Mike!

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2017, 19:45    Post subject:  

Hi, step.

Mm-hm; it's not at all a bad browser, TBH. Like all the Chromium-based browsers, it's getting more & more temperemental as its parent evolves. Don't get me wrong; I fully understand the desire of the guys over at the Chromium Project to make their browser as safe and secure as it's possible to make it.....but, boy! is it giving us problems here in Puppyland.

Oscar, peebee, myself, and those few others on the current 'roster' who develop these browsers into usable Puppy packages will, of course, try to keep doing so for as long as we can.....but if the last few releases have been anything to go by, I'm not even going to try & make any sort of guarantee. As the final line in my previous post says.....enjoy it while you can.

If it works for you.....that's great. These browsers are very 'noisy' in the terminal, and have always entailed workarounds of one sort or another to run with Pup's root model, but.....we keep managing it. (Somehow..!)

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

redandwhitestripes

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 21:40    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,
Iron 61 turns the font into something resembling the old ZX Spectrum font. Now I love the old Speccy but on my widescreen TV it's not very readable. Any way to fix it? If not it's no real problem, I'll just keep using version 60. I'm just happy to have a Chromium based browser on puppy that doesn't crash one me.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 07:59    Post subject:  

redandwhitestripes wrote:
Hi Mike,
Iron 61 turns the font into something resembling the old ZX Spectrum font. Now I love the old Speccy but on my widescreen TV it's not very readable. Any way to fix it? If not it's no real problem, I'll just keep using version 60. I'm just happy to have a Chromium based browser on puppy that doesn't crash one me.

Ah, tell me about it..!

Have you by any chance been adding/removing any fonts to Puppy? I had a spell of trying out different fonts a little while ago, and I've got the same problem in both Precise 571 and Racy 5.5. I run Chrome, Chromium, SlimJet and Iron in 571.....and Chrome, SlimJet and PaleMoon in 5.5.

In Precise, I have the 'pixellated' fonts problem in Chrome/Chromium.....but SlimJet and Iron are fine. (Slimmie's fonts aren't quite what I want, but I refuse to 'mess' with it!)

In Racy (courtesy of battleshooter's glibc-220 'workaround' he produced a few years back), the problem is there in Chrome & Chromium, too. PaleMoon's fine, though.....and QtWeb, which I also use there, is problem-free too.

I have tried till I'm dizzy to sort the problem out, but.....it persists. I really haven't got any advice to offer, I'm afraid.....but if I ever do manage to fix it, I'll let you know what the solution is. OK?

Mike. Wink

quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 00:15    Post subject:  

Thanks Mike for your tremendous effort of bundle all those gtk3 and libnss libs into iron.sfs . This saves me lots lots of trouble running iron61 on systems without gtk3.

IRON64 browser is always one of my MUST browser.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 18:00    Post subject:  

quirkian2new wrote:
Thanks Mike for your tremendous effort of bundle all those gtk3 and libnss libs into iron.sfs . This saves me lots lots of trouble running iron61 on systems without gtk3.

IRON64 browser is always one of my MUST browser.

Hi, quirkian2new.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it; nice to know my efforts haven't been in vain.

That is of course the idea; it's the same concept that battleshooter (to whom the credit belongs) helped me with for Chrome itself, when it started demanding the very newest libnss. By doing it this way, it's all self-contained (rather like watchdog's PaleMoon with the built-in glibc upgrades).....no chance of the newer libs interfering with other apps/programs on your system which are happily working with older versions of the same.

Sounds like it's working as planned..!

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov 2017, 16:11    Post subject:  

***New Version: Iron 62.0.3250.0***

Hallo again, boys'n'girls.

The new release of Iron, 62.0.3250.0, is now available for download from the link in post #1. I've included the current version of PepperFlash, 27.0.0.187, which installs to /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins, as usual.

This release of Iron not only contains battleshooter's libnss/gtk3 modifications, but it's the first 64-bit release to be using the 'run-as-spot' configuration which will, I believe, come to be the standard method for running Chromium-based browsers in Puppy. Many, many thanks, once again, to belham2 for having figured this one out originally for Chrome.

NetFlix is still working, thanks to SRWare's advice to 'poach' the libwidevinecdm.so module from the current version of Chrome itself.

I'm hoping, with this new launcher method - giving you operation as a 'normal' user (which Chromium now demands!), plus full sandboxing - and the inclusion of battleshooter's 'fix' for the libs'n'stuff - that these Chromium-based browsers will be 'safe' for a bit from much more in the way of major modifications. I've probably spoken too soon, but.....we shall see.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

Page 3 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: