Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 08:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 57 of 57 [846 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 55, 56, 57
dalderton

PostPosted: Sun 03 Sep 2017, 04:28    Post subject:  

This is all getting a bit complex I am afraid but as a matter of interest I frugal installed Tahrpup 6.0.6 this afternoon and it worked perfectly using 1600*900 resolution straight from the go. This was on the same computer with the same monitor on a different partition on the Hard disc.Maybe if I updated the 6.0.5 it may sort the problem. I think as you say that the kill page killed the desired res.
I can transfer my stuff to the 6.0.6 but for some strange reason it wont install Opera developer. I sometimes wonder why I stay with it but any thing is better than Windows but it would be better if I knew what I was doing after using Linux for the last 15 years or so.My excuse is basically my geriatric status.
Regards Dennis.
Further to the above I updated to 6.0.6 (changed VMlinuz initrd.gz puppy_tahr64_6.0.6.sfs and zdrv_tahr64_6.0.6.sfs all worked well but still no access to 1600*900 res and wont install Opera-developer.
What Fun.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep 2017, 16:58    Post subject: tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE
Subject description: 6.0.6

I burned the iso to a DVD, the save file is on the hard drive:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Mon 4 Sep 2017 on tahrpup64 6.0.6 Linux 3.14.54 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] RV610/M74 [Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: M74 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: evdev
X.Org version: 1.15.1
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.3

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz

System: Host: puppypc9087 Kernel: 3.14.54 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.6 Distro: tahrpup64 6.0.6
Machine: Device: desktop System: Apple product: iMac8 1 v: 1.0 serial: W8811GXLZE2
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F226BEC8 v: PVT serial: 1
BIOS: Apple v: IM81.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091538 date: 02/09/08

Kodi sfs works fine.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   57.62 KB
 Viewed   714 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep 2017, 20:04    Post subject:  

dalderton wrote:
I frugal installed Tahrpup 6.0.6 and it worked perfectly using 1600*900 resolution straight from the go.
I can transfer my stuff to the 6.0.6 but for some strange reason it wont install Opera developer.
Further to the above I updated to 6.0.6 (changed VMlinuz initrd.gz puppy_tahr64_6.0.6.sfs and zdrv_tahr64_6.0.6.sfs all worked well but still no access to 1600*900 res and wont install Opera-developer.
What Fun.

This indicates the old save is corrupted, messed up, not correct, etc.....

The easy fix.
I know you have a good backup of the save, when it was working correctly, that can easily replace the bad one! Very Happy Exclamation

The hard fix.
Try to figure out what is messed up in the save.
Here we go Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea

In Rox file manager
Navigate to the save file/folder.
Left click on it to open it.
Inside the save is etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
Delete the xorg.conf file.
Reboot.

Any help??????

Explain will not install Opera-developer?
Details????
You do what?
You see what?

dalderton

PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep 2017, 21:55    Post subject:  

Thanks again. Right I have sorted the Opera problem on the new 6.0.6 on the different partition. As to the original problem with the resolution I have tried deleting X11/xorg.conf and rebooting after which the mouse was dead. Replaced the xorg.conf with a backup and same story.rebooted in safe mode which produced the dead mouse again. rebooted in ram mode and got a untouched version with no personal content.went back to the original boot with the original save file and got the bad resolution but everything else OK.
Dont know where to go next
THanks again Regards Dennis.
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 14:35    Post subject: tahrpup 64 can provide Gramps
Subject description: Version 4.0.3-1 from Puppy PPM

Happy to feed back that tahrpup 64 can provide Gramps to people whose hobby is genealogy. They are some in the forum intra muros, but many outside.

It is the first Puppy able to do it since Slacko 5.5 and Precise 5.7.1 as far as i know.
Python, libs missing, there was always something to stop the process
Sure i have old puppies at home. I would not have been stopped in my genealogical researches.
But some positive feed-back is to be done, when passengers are satisfied.
What would be a 64 bits OS without applications to run ? A supersonic as Concorde for which USA would be prohibited to land. Exclamation or Twisted Evil
doudou.jpg
 Description   First install, then run, and search information about ancestries (the hardest)
 Filesize   77.09 KB
 Viewed   493 Time(s)

doudou.jpg

WoodLark

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2017, 10:47    Post subject: Re: Tahrpup's formatting of Ext4 is OK  

mikeslr wrote:
In my previous post I suggested that running gparted on Puppies and formatting a partition as Ext4 would create a 64-bit Linux Ext4 partition from which Puppies couldn't boot. jd7654 corrected me. My comment was based on the problem Woodlark reported, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=964862#964862. Woodlark: "I am trying to do a frugal install of Tahrpup 6.0.5 to a Dell Precision 690. I reformatted the partitions (ext4) and wiped the previous boot record (there are no other OS's). I used the Universal Installer and the Grub4Dos wizard (chose all defaults)." From which I assumed Woodlark had done that running Tarhpup from a DVD or USB-Key. Woodlark never responded to my question as to whether the partition had previously been formatted using a different Linux; and I would have assumed that reformatting it and removing the mbr under Tahrpup would have eliminated any problem which could have been caused by a different Linux's formatting.

jd7654 appears to be correct. To find out if I could duplicate the problem Woodlark's experienced, I did the following:

Booted into LinuxMint Sara (64-bit) and formatted a USB-Key to Linux Ext4. Rebooted into Tahrpup 6.0.5. Used its gparted to reformat the Key to Ext4. Copied the following from tahrpup 6.0.5 onto the USB-Key: initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_tahr_6.0.5.sfs and zdrv_tahr_6.0.5.sfs. Installed grub4dos to the USB-Key allowing it to create a menu.lst there.

Rebooted the computer with the key plugged in; USB-ports having boot priority. Tahrpup booted to desktop without incident.

I'm not sure why Woodlark had a problem -- what he didn't do, or didn't do correctly. Note, I didn't think of installing Linux Mint's grub to the Key until I wrote this, and I hadn't "wiped the previous boot record", other than that which might have occurred by gparted's reformatting and grub4dos's over-riding of any prior boot record. But Tahrpup seems to be able to format partitions as Ext4 and use them as its boot partition.

mikesLr

I apologize for not responding earlier. The partition had previously been formatted with a different linux (Mint if I remember correctly). I never did get puppy installed on it. However, I have two identical Precisions, and I did successfully install Tahrpup64 on the second one after using dd to delete the existing MBR and reformatting as EXT4 using GParted from the Tahrpup64 DVD. I probably will end up doing the same with the first Precision.

One interesting comment, I tried several distributions, and Puppy is the only one capable of doing a reboot on that system. All others would simply reach the end of their shutdown sequence and hang. I would then have to power off/on the machine.
Page 57 of 57 [846 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 55, 56, 57
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: