old hp and compaq desktops what works cdrw dvd wise

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

old hp and compaq desktops what works cdrw dvd wise

#1 Post by mbutts »

looks like i may becoming the new owner for an hp xl768 aprox 900 mhz 512 mem desktop with no cd drives with small hard drive and a compaq 5240 400 mhz 384 meg mem with no just cdrom and hard drive. i m thinking cdrw on compaq and maybe cdrw/dvdrw for the hp. whats everones thought on that? i have a compaq with a add on cdrw that does multisession ok. im mostly used to laptops for my own use. is there a definitive answer if cdrw/dvd works? or does it have to be straight dvd rw or cdrw? i dont have any luck with laptop cdrw dvdrom drives for cdrw working. has anyone compiled a list of what works and why???? how bout maybe a thread for what works and one for what doesnt work? id be willing to look at it and try to compile a list and look to see what works and doesnt and try to figure out a general list. i know flash has good luck with dvd. and some have not had any luck. id like to work on getting one or both to work with cdrw and or dvdrw. im hoping maybe to put 2.14 on them when the final version is released. tnx in advance.....

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: old hp and compaq desktops what works cdrw dvd wise

#2 Post by Flash »

mbutts wrote:...is there a definitive answer if cdrw/dvd works? or does it have to be straight dvd rw or cdrw? i dont have any luck with laptop cdrw dvdrom drives for cdrw working.
Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer for anything in Linux (or computers in general, for that matter.) There are as many "best" ways to do just about anything as there are people trying to do it. This leads to a delightful selection of standards, one by each developer. :lol:

I believe CDRW/DVD is what is often called a "combo" drive, which apparently means it can read DVDs but not burn them. Laptop optical drives ought to work the same as desktop drives, but they don't seem to. No one seems to know why.
...has anyone compiled a list of what works and why???? how bout maybe a thread for what works and one for what doesnt work? ...
There are several just such lists as you mention, in the PuppyLinuxWiki. I don't think they are anything like comprehensive or current. :( See also this thread in the hardware section of this forum.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]