Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#2621 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've now installed the latest beta of Anti X 17 (beta 3), and as far as I can tell it's ready for "prime time;" I haven't seen any faults with it so far.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 22 Aug 2017, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#2622 Post by Colonel Panic »

The last post I made was duplicated and I couldn't see how to delete it, so I may as well not waste it :)

Vector has now released the final versions of its "standard" 32-bit and 64-bit distros, though for some reason they haven't announced it yet. Here they are anyway, if anyone wants to download them;

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.2/iso-release/

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-7.2/iso-release/
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

rufwoof

OpenBSD 6.1

#2623 Post by rufwoof »

Removed my second FreeBSD partition (sda4) that I was using as a admin boot for the primary FreeBSD (sda3) partition ... and installed OpenBSD into that partition. Nice easy install more or less just hitting ENTER for the defaults. On boot it didn't pickup on my nvidia 8600GT but still booted to desktop (I installed xfce) and generally worked OK. I tried booting to my onboard Radeon with similar performance to nv. Both play mp4 fine in firefox, but not so well in mpv (choppy). I've had Libre core dump a few times, and firefox also. Likely something I haven't configured and outside of that it's generally running well.

Superior to FreeBSD IMO as it includes X and fvwm as part of the base system, and is a lot kinder on the configuration front ... whilst being more secure than FreeBSD.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

belham2

Antergos-Mate build

#2624 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Finally got around (used Arch for quite a long time some years back) to doing an Antergos-build with their new install script method, and I gotta say it is pretty nifty. When setting Antergos up for an install, it lets you choose what you want in the build. So I did a Mate build, chose Chromium as my browser, and took all of the standard Mate offerings, and sat back as it built/installed. Everything went smoothly, and I was presented with this very nice, clean layout.
As usual with an Arch-based system (a rolling one at that), the Antergos OS is snappy and fast (easily rivals pups in window response & boot up time, but of course not in overall size of the OS), and I cannot (yet) find anything wrong with it. Actuallly, there's a lot of nice little touches going on here. Kudos to the Antergos team. Now I understand why Antergos is always so high in "Distrowatch's" download rankings...it's deserved.

Anyhow, here's, the pics, enjoy :wink:
Attachments
Antergos-Mate-builds-desktop.jpg
(75.62 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Antergos-Caja-File-Manager.png
(165.51 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
Antergos-Mate-Control-Center.png
(124.36 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
Antergos-Mate-menu-1st-click.png
(43.65 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
Antergos-Mate-menu-2nd-click-using-SystemTools-as-example.png
(74.38 KiB) Downloaded 499 times

Colonel Panic

#2625 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest version of Rosa (R9, LXQT edition). So far, no problems and as usual it comes with an attractive light blue theme. I also tried the latest version of CentOS 7, but once again I was unable to get it to recognise my network card and frankly life's too short to persevere with it when there are plenty of other, less troublesome options.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

i Have been using a razor-Qt Puppy this morning.

#2626 Post by Pelo »

i Have been using a razor-Qt Puppy this morning.
I judge an OS on what it produces,
in french we have two words
efficacité : what is produced
efficience : ressources, means used to arrive to the result.
Puppy Linux should get the best quota.
I keep windows on my computers, because puppies are so tiny that many can be installed beside the big monster.
About Linux i began first with Muti-boot DVD with five Linux. None is worth the pain, worth the candle, worth the electricity..
Excepted for Datacrow, the java collection manager, Distrowatch provides so many that you can test, waiting for your end of life.
Like women, you can test many before you find the one (an LTS one :!: )

Colonel Panic

#2627 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm now using the latest version of Austrumi, 3.6.9 (the goose drank wine, if anyone's old enough to remember that song :) ). It's certainly different; it's the only distro I can think of which uses fvwm as its standard window manager. It is quite an attractive distro, has light resouirce demands and fits on a single CD.

Just one problem; the distro is Hungarian and all the menu instructions are in that language, which makes it pretty hard to figure out (you can't change the default language when you don'y understand any of the language).

Keef

#2628 Post by Keef »

Colonel Panic

I tried 3.7.0. (It is Latvian, not Hungarian by the way)

To change language, click on the settings icon (cog and spanner).
Select Voladyus (flag icon), whichh brings up the language chooser.
You then get a log in screen which asks for a password. I guessed at 'austrumi' and it worked.

The download link on the website is wonky. If anyone else wants to try it, use this:

ftp://austrumi.ru.lv

rufwoof

#2629 Post by rufwoof »

Just downloaded knoppix 8.1 dvd .iso and booted that using qemu. From a cursory browse around its packed as usual with loads of programs and worked well.

I used qemu boot command of

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86_64 -k en-gb -smp 4 -boot d -vga std -enable-kvm -m 1020 -soundhw all -cdrom KNOPPIX_V8.1-2017-09-05-EN.iso
Attachments
k.png
(208.99 KiB) Downloaded 979 times

headfound

#2630 Post by headfound »

I just upgraded to knoppix 8.1 too.
Triple booting iso using grub2win with puppy

Code: Select all

loopback loop (hd0,4)/knoppix/knx.iso
linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux64 bootfrom=/dev/sda4/knoppix/knx.iso lang=en
initrd  (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
looks good so far, very quick boot, responsive and excellent hardware support as always. My mum has dementia so I've been trying to teach her to use some of the simpler Gcompris games.
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

Colonel Panic

#2631 Post by Colonel Panic »

Keef wrote:Colonel Panic

I tried 3.7.0. (It is Latvian, not Hungarian by the way)

To change language, click on the settings icon (cog and spanner).
Select Voladyus (flag icon), whichh brings up the language chooser.
You then get a log in screen which asks for a password. I guessed at 'austrumi' and it worked.

The download link on the website is wonky. If anyone else wants to try it, use this:

ftp://austrumi.ru.lv
Many thanks for that Keef! It worked like a dream, I'm posting from Austrumi now (don't know why I thought it was Hungarian, but still). Only problem with it is I can't change the language to British English, even though that is what is indicated on the set up menu. I get American English instead.

Robert123

#2632 Post by Robert123 »

Here's one for you Colonel,

Miyo Linux a Devuan spinoff.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

d4p

#2633 Post by d4p »

Austrumi boot parameter: lang_en for english

Colonel Panic

#2634 Post by Colonel Panic »

Robert123 wrote:Here's one for you Colonel,

Thanks. I tried the live version but it's very minimalistic - no browser, office suite etc. as standard so you have to install it all yourself. Looks very striking though with a dark slate blue and orangey red theme as standard, and also openbox and tint2 is a combination which works.

[EDIT: Thanks to d4p too for the Austrumi boot parameter.]

Colonel Panic

#2635 Post by Colonel Panic »

Robert123 wrote:Here's one for you Colonel,

Hi again,

I've tried it now and unfortunately although it looks good as I said above it's lacking too many libraries, making it very difficult if not impossible to install fresh software (I keep getting error messages saying I'm either missing a certain file such as libcurl or have the wrong version of it). Networking also hasn't worked on it yet.

For the moment I may have to wipe it, unfortunately, which is a shame as it's a brave effort to do something different.

Colonel Panic

#2636 Post by Colonel Panic »

On a very different note; I've gone full-on retro with my latest distro installation - Slackware current (29th September) with twm as the window manager. gkrellm for system monitoring and dmenu for menu functions.

It may look like the 1990s have returned but it works and is very light on resources; I've also modified twm's configuration file (there is only one) and added some top bar icons.

rufwoof

FreeBSD

#2637 Post by rufwoof »

I've been dual running FreeBSD for a while now and whilst I like its core arrangement (kernel and commands all maintained as a 'single' entity), and how a simple pkg update && pkg upgrade can update programs to latest versions ... such program updating could be a pain. For instance my latest update uplifted jwm from 2.3.6 to 2.3.7 but whilst that worked ok for me, noteworthy is how jwm configuration has changed for certain elements (dynamic menus for instance). I'm not using any of that stuff however, so the upgrade worked fine for me, however if I were then potentially jwm would have been broken. I can think of other examples such as if osmo calendar/diary decided to change how the data was stored then a update could break the system ... or many other similar sort of risks.

My primary boot is pure Debian (main repositories only) where updates don't break things as 'Stable' stays the same, just has security fixes applied - but that does mean you stick with older versions of programs (but if it works as you need ... as they say if it ain't broke then don't fix it).

Accordingly I'm considering retiring FreeBSD. Debian oldstable (currently Jessie) works well for me and my hardware, and updates are most unlikely to break it, and I can run everything as user, other than the occasional access cli level root to do things like mount drives and apply security updates (so if I do encounter a hack that breaks out of the browser or whatever - the hacker is very limited to what damage might be done such as installing ransomware).

FreeBSD was a interesting experience, and it was nice to see later versions of programs ... not one however had additional features that I'll particularly miss in staying with older (familiar) versions under Debian. Of course I'll have to upgrade Debian sooner or later and I haven't yet decided whether I'll just stick with OldStable i.e. only upgrade to Stretch when that drops into oldstable, or whether to just lag by say a year or so (so adopt/upgrade to Stretch once its been out for a year, when likely most of any issues will have been ironed out).

The only failing with Debian (excepting new hardware that might not be supported due to its lag (at least for Stable)) is that if a bug is locked in that isn't a security issue, then its locked in for the long term and you have to work around that i.e. either use another alternative program, or perhaps use a backport (later version). Fortunately their repository is extensive enough that there are alternative choices available in such cases.

rufwoof

#2638 Post by rufwoof »

Colonel Panic wrote:On a very different note; I've gone full-on retro with my latest distro installation - Slackware current (29th September) with twm as the window manager. gkrellm for system monitoring and dmenu for menu functions
I like how with that setup you can install/run another dm/wm within that ... all contained within its own 'window' (rather than taking over the entire desktop). For instance I like to use pcmanfm --desktop as the desktop manager (icons), which 'normally' takes over the entire desktop, but under twm its a window.

After using twm for a while I got used to rolling things up (windows) and its method of moving/resizing things etc and quite liked it. I had a large virtual desktop space so that mousing to screen edges moved the visible window around within that. I did find that was a bit sea-sickness inducing however and later opted for more of a vertical arrangement, browser at the bottom, word processor at the top sort of thing. But later lost interest and reverted back to a more 'modern' choice.

On area I guess it would be good is if you were X'ing into another box, terminal server style. Monitor less server that others on the same lan could run from. kvm/qemu is quite good for that as the server can directly output to the likes of rdesktop, so the 'terminal' can be pretty lean, just xorg and something like rdesktop. Or maybe even have the server plugged into the TV so that a light handheld could be used as a form of remote control.

gkrellm works well. You can multiple instance it by running gkrellm -c 2 (gkrellm -c 3 ....etc.) or whatever suffix name you prefer for multiple copies, each with its own configuration file. I have one instance each for CPU/GPU temperatures, Date, eth0, proc, disk and individual cores/cpu so I can position/lock them around the screen as I desire.
Attachments
s.jpg
(21.07 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

Colonel Panic

#2639 Post by Colonel Panic »

rufwoof wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:On a very different note; I've gone full-on retro with my latest distro installation - Slackware current (29th September) with twm as the window manager. gkrellm for system monitoring and dmenu for menu functions
I like how with that setup you can install/run another dm/wm within that ... all contained within its own 'window' (rather than taking over the entire desktop). For instance I like to use pcmanfm --desktop as the desktop manager (icons), which 'normally' takes over the entire desktop, but under twm its a window.

After using twm for a while I got used to rolling things up (windows) and its method of moving/resizing things etc and quite liked it. I had a large virtual desktop space so that mousing to screen edges moved the visible window around within that. I did find that was a bit sea-sickness inducing however and later opted for more of a vertical arrangement, browser at the bottom, word processor at the top sort of thing. But later lost interest and reverted back to a more 'modern' choice.

On area I guess it would be good is if you were X'ing into another box, terminal server style. Monitor less server that others on the same lan could run from. kvm/qemu is quite good for that as the server can directly output to the likes of rdesktop, so the 'terminal' can be pretty lean, just xorg and something like rdesktop. Or maybe even have the server plugged into the TV so that a light handheld could be used as a form of remote control.

gkrellm works well. You can multiple instance it by running gkrellm -c 2 (gkrellm -c 3 ....etc.) or whatever suffix name you prefer for multiple copies, each with its own configuration file. I have one instance each for CPU/GPU temperatures, Date, eth0, proc, disk and individual cores/cpu so I can position/lock them around the screen as I desire.
Thanks for replying. Configuration's done by a single file in twm and it's easy to assign separate menus to the three different mouse buttons.

I have my applications (dmenu plus a couple of others), plus application termination, switch window manager to another one, restart and logout from twm, all on the left button; my icon manager functions are on the middle button; and the window management functions (maximise, iconify, raise and lower etc.) are on the right one.

I find you can do a lot more with windows, and more easily, with an old window manager like twm than you can with some of the newer ones which seem almost intentionally "dumbed down". The one thing you can't do with it is move an application to another desktop window, as it only runs in a single one.

Impressive gkrellm setup by the way! I didn't know you could have several instances of gkrellm all running in the same window.

rufwoof

#2640 Post by rufwoof »

I'm OpenBSD'ing currently. Using my nvidia card and moving windows around sees delays ... OpenBSD just doesn't work well with nvidia. Swapping that out to use the onboard Radeon ATI and OpenBSD works great. Odd when you consider that it tends to be the other way around for FreeBSD (supports nvidia well).

Under OpenBSD with nvidia fvwm also stuttered, but twm worked really well.

I intend to stay with OpenBSD for a while at least, so had the PC's cover off and removed the nvidia card and gave the internals a good dusting down. CPU heatsink was getting quite dust heavy and without the nvidia fan also spinning the system is really quiet now. I'm back to using jwm however as twm whilst OK doesn't really cut it for me. OpenBSD, jwm, pcmanfm --desktop as a core just works better for me.

I'm not really a fan of multi-desktops myself. Just as easy to have programs individually fill the screen and use the tasklist to switch between them, so I don't tend to have a pager (I also ditch the MENU button and showdesktop button and have those as part of the clock (left click clock shows the menu, right click the clock activates showdesktop).

(Clickable thumbnail)
Last edited by rufwoof on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.