# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.2
#color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 10
default 0
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/splash.xpm.gz

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Puppy slacko 6.3.0
uuid b87be595-6f04-4cd2-abda-cc37e785f9bf
kernel /slacko6.3.0frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=slacko6.3.0frugal pfix=fsck
initrd /slacko6.3.0frugal/initrd.gz

# Dell diagnostics partition
title Dell Diagnostics
uuid 07D8-071D
chainloader +1

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
configfile /menu-advanced.lst
commandline

Does the entry look correct?

I used gimp to create a 640x480 14 color image and saved it in xpm format. I then gzipped it. No luck getting it to appear at boot though. My puppy installation is on the 2nd partition. Checking at the grub prompt shows that to be hd0,1. I've even tried entering the full path trying:

splashimage=(hd0,1)/puppy6.3.0frugal/boot/splash.xpm.gz

and

splashimage=/puppy6.3.0frugal/boot/splash.xpm.gz

To rule out an issue with the image file, I downloaded a premade file from
http://schragehome.de/splash/index2.html, but this didn't work either.

None are working. What am I missing?

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

The path must be the full path where the image is located (omit the drive number in brackets). Is the name of your image correct? Try just the image without zipping it.

snallygaster

#3 Post by snallygaster »

Thanks. I couldn't determine the path. I used the path as shown in the Rox title bar. I just decided to move it to the root of sda1 and point to it there and now it's displaying on boot.

When you do a frugal install, is the path shown the actual path or a virtual path? How can I determine the actual path so grub can find it?

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

snallygaster wrote:Thanks. I couldn't determine the path. I used the path as shown in the Rox title bar. I just decided to move it to the root of sda1 and point to it there and now it's displaying on boot.

When you do a frugal install, is the path shown the actual path or a virtual path? How can I determine the actual path so grub can find it?
For Grub4Dos - If the splash image is located on the first partition of your HD, you don't need to show the drive number in brackets eg: splashimage=/temp/splash.xpm

If on another partition you need to specify the drive number in brackets and the full path eg: (h0,2)/temp/splash.xpm

Note that the above has to do with the bootscreen only and you have to use the old grub hard drive numbers.

The grub4dos installation program will automatically detect your frugal installation(s) and make the menu.lst entries accordingly. It's the actual paths.

snallygaster

#5 Post by snallygaster »

I put the image in the puppy6.3.0frugal folder, the edited the line as:

splashimage=/puppy6.3.0frugal/splash.xpm.gz

Still no image at boot. Works fine on sda1 when I point to it there.

I'll have to play around with it some more when I get home. I'm missing something.

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

snallygaster wrote:I put the image in the puppy6.3.0frugal folder, the edited the line as:

splashimage=/puppy6.3.0frugal/splash.xpm.gz

Still no image at boot. Works fine on sda1 when I point to it there.

I'll have to play around with it some more when I get home. I'm missing something.
On which partition is the splash file? If it's not on sda1, you need to specify the partition number in brackets as mentioned before.

snallygaster

#7 Post by snallygaster »

I put it on the second partition and tried

splashimage=(hd0,1)/puppy6.3.0frugal/splash.xpm.gz

moved it to root an tried

splashimage=(hd0,1)/splash.xpm.gz

No go.

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

Are you saying that it displayed when you put it in the first partition as a zipped image file?
I have never tried to use a zipped image in this situation and I don't see why you would want to.
As suggested earlier, just use the image file unzipped and named as splash.xpm
Make sure the path in menu.lst has the correct file name without the .gz on the end.
Perhaps try a space in place of the equals sign. (Tested quickly and either seems to work).
I have one that is working here with:-
splashimage (hd0,1)/boot/grub/sunset.xpm
But that is legacy grub not grub4dos in this instance.
If all else fails but the image was found when it was in the first partition, maybe you could just leave it there.
Oscar in England

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

Double checked with grub4dos if image on another partition, works for me (image not zipped).

snallygaster

#10 Post by snallygaster »

Thanks all. I tried your suggestions, but still a no go. I don't know why it doesn't seem to like sda2 so I guess I'll just leave it on sda1 as it works there.