Barry's Easy Linux 4.0 + XFCE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
belham2

Barry's Easy Linux 4.0 + XFCE

#1 Post by belham2 »

Well, never thought I'd say the above in the same sentence, lol. One of Barry's newer creations and XFCE? No way :shock: Anyhow, got it to work (the pics are below) and can find no hiccups with it after using it quite a bit these past 2 days. All I can say is this: dam#, Battleshooter, chuffed is off the table and serious accolades are due!! :wink:
Attachments
Barry's-EasyLinux-4.0-with-XFCE.png
(167.15 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
Screenshot.png
(158.46 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
Screenshot(1).png
(195.41 KiB) Downloaded 887 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Looks nice, very interesting that you are using it without any gotchas!

Did you install XFCE from Ubuntu DEBs, or compile it?

Hey, it would be great, but Easy has not yet reached version 4.0! Only 0.4
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:Looks nice, very interesting that you are using it without any gotchas!

Did you install XFCE from Ubuntu DEBs, or compile it?

Hey, it would be great, but Easy has not yet reached version 4.0! Only 0.4

Hi Barry,

Me, compile a DE like XFCE? Are you crazy (j/k ya :wink: ). Seriously, though, that's a bit above my pay grade. What I did do was take one of my Easy 'frugal' installs, after I did everything I wanted to that frugal install, and added Battleshooter's new xfce-pet (on v4 now):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111458

Since he did it for phil's Xenial64, I thought to myself, well heck Barry is using Ubuntu in Easy, so give it a go. At first, after installing the pet, the screen went all crazy, then came back like it was dead, but yet a terminal worked. I just logged out, and logged back in, and I was greeted with the pics as I showed in the previous post.

With XFCE installed, I have been through a lot of stuff, program-wise and file manager-wise and adding more stuff throughout (why in the heck didn't you include "grub4dosconfig" in Easy"---it's a pain in the butt to install, lol, and i use it all the time setting up usb/sdcards/etc/)----anyway, I haven't come across any real gotchas yet. Only thing is the shutdown gui, is still a bit buggy (using terminal works fine, though), but this shutdown problem existed in Xenial and Battleshooter's almost got it fixed.

So, that's it!! I'm sure I'll come across something---haven't been brave enough to use PPM and actually install something from it (always go to the source, and then do everything via terminal, safer to me in case I goof something up).

I'll keep at it and see how it works---but it honestly took everything, and I mean everything, that was in the Easy Menu and transferred it to XFCE Menu (I know rg66 helping out with Battleshooter has something to do with this working so good now). And stuff just launches and runs.

P.S. Not sure if you're aware, or maybe you are, but there's a problem with the Containers & using Seamonkey-----it just displays bad behavior when you are having to login to any site. It will randomly and at any moment wipe your login while logged in, or it will cause login,php handling at the moment of logging-in to go quirky, and/or a few other things (uploading pics, hitting back arrow in Seamonkey---all things that cause Seamonkey in a Container to just not work correctly. Heck, it was so bad 3 days ago that i thought the murga-forum login had been hacked, then i realized this morning that it was really the Containers. This occurs in original 'frugal' installs of Easy (no XFCE or anything else).
Also, another issue, trying to run the remaster from a 'frugal" Easy install---fails every time. After you set things up, configure boot-specs and all, you'll get this message every boot:

Code: Select all

cp: can't stat /q_ro/q.sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS:  No such file or directory
/init: .: line 235: can't open '/q_ro/q_sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS'
Looked and realized when you remaster from a running 'frugal' install that you've already setup, the remaster script takes the ".../etc/...." above and DOES NOT rename it to "..../er-etc that is required because remastering sets it up that way. Even if I rename etc to er-etc in the init script, which I did, boot still fails at near same point.

battleshooter

Re: Barry's Easy Linux 4.0 + XFCE

#4 Post by battleshooter »

belham2 wrote:Well, never thought I'd say the above in the same sentence, lol. One of Barry's newer creations and XFCE? No way :shock: Anyhow, got it to work (the pics are below) and can find no hiccups with it after using it quite a bit these past 2 days. All I can say is this: dam#, Battleshooter, chuffed is off the table and serious accolades are due!! :wink:
Wow Belham, thank you for the accolades :D

I think I'm just as surprised it's working here as you are :lol:

One thing I can see from the screenshots, it looks like the GTK theme isn't working, I think maybe one of the GTK engines Numix depends on isn't included in Easy. Should be resolved by just picking a different GTK theme or installing the missing engine I think.
BarryK wrote:Did you install XFCE from Ubuntu DEBs, or compile it?
Compiled it all using the LFS scripts bossman, except GVFS which was just downloaded from the PPM.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]