Touchpad settings do not persist in Tahrpup 6.0.6 (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
CGP

Touchpad settings do not persist in Tahrpup 6.0.6 (Solved)

#1 Post by CGP »

Touchpad setting do not persist in Tahrpup x64 6.0.6. I want to turn off tapping and do so in Setup->Mouse/Keyboard->Touchpad. That works until I restart puppy linux. When I do restart puppy linux, my changes are gone.

Tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE did not have this problem.

Please, what do I do?
Last edited by CGP on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

thinkpadfreak

#2 Post by thinkpadfreak »

It is a kind of bug, and I and some others notice it. The touchpad settings are not loaded at boot.

Create a text file named touchpad.sh for example, and write a command:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
flsynclient -s
Make the file executable, and put it in /root/Startup

I do not know whether this is the right solution, but I hope it will work.

CGP

#3 Post by CGP »

Yes, it worked! Thank you very much.

Sorry if this problem has been addressed before. There seems to be no way to effectively search the forum for solutions: a search returns either no results or 100 pages of irrelevant results. I wish someone would explain in the Help section how to search for a particular phrase, how to search for all of several terms [AND], how to search for any of several terms [OR], etc. Maybe none of that is possible with the forum software we have.

Also, I would like to rename this topic to begin with [Solved], but don't know how.

I know it is not your fault, thinkpadfreak. Thanks again.

mostly_lurking

#4 Post by mostly_lurking »

CGP wrote:Also, I would like to rename this topic to begin with [Solved], but don't know how.
I think this is done by editing the subject line of your first post.
CGP wrote:I wish someone would explain in the Help section how to search for a particular phrase, how to search for all of several terms [AND], how to search for any of several terms [OR], etc.
You can enter it like this:

touchpad AND settings AND persist
That should turn up any threads that contain a post with all of these words; it doesn't seem to include topics that contain all terms, but not in the same post. (The above example brought up your thread as well as an older one about a similar issue.) This seems to be similar to the "search for all terms" setting. The OR option is pretty useless, since listing all posts that contain only some of the search terms is the default mode anyway. Searching for a phrase doesn't seem to be possible. The results can be displayed as either threads or posts; which one is better depends on what you are trying to find - a topic or a specific post.

The forum search really doesn't work too well in many cases. (And it often fails to find older threads.) If you can't get a good result with it, use Google instead:

your search terms site:murga-linux.com
Or you can use the Wellminded Puppylinux search, which uses Google and searches the forum and some other Puppy sites.

CGP

#5 Post by CGP »

[mostly_lurking:

Thanks for the post. I write the below not really to request answers from you, but to request someone to add answers to these questions to the FAQ.]

---

But how do I edit the subject line of the first post?

--

Actually, I did search for

"touchpad AND settings AND persist"

in topic titles only. It did not find my topic title, which includes all those terms. Also, for this search, it is not clear whether I should click the "Search for any terms or use query as entered" button or the "Search for all terms" button.

Also, what does "use query as entered" even mean? Would one want to use a query NOT as entered?

Yes, if I understand your point, there is no need for the OR operator if one clicks the "Search for any terms or use query as entered" button. But then, why are both options presented? That is totally confusing.

Similarly, there seems to be no need for the AND operator if one clicks the "Search for all terms" button. Why are both options presented? That also is totally confusing.

The NOT function does not work. For example, if you search only in topic titles for "Tahrpup AND usb NOT boot", the results will include topic titles that do include the word "boot".

Also, if one searches for "Tahrpup AND usb" in topic titles only, the results include many topic titles which do not contain both "Tahrpup" and "usb". That part of the search function does not work properly.

Finally, searching for an exact phrase is necessary in my opinion for posted solutions to puppy linux problems to be found.

My point is that the searching function of the forum is a total mess and mostly useless. And it seems maybe you agree more or less.

I think that it is a shame that posts which contain problem solutions and which took significant time to type up are pretty much lost to people who encounter the same problems later.

Again, I am certainly not blaming you or angry at you, mostly_lurking.

mostly_lurking

editing post subject

#6 Post by mostly_lurking »

CGP wrote:My point is that the searching function of the forum is a total mess and mostly useless. And it seems maybe you agree more or less.
I think the search function is quite flawed, and not all of it works as it should. I wouldn't call it useless, though; for general searching, Google might be better, but the forum's search does, for example, allow one to find posts by a specific member - useful if you can remember who posted the thing you are looking for.
CGP wrote:But how do I edit the subject line of the first post?
There should be an "Edit" button displayed on the top right side of the post, which takes you to the post edit window where you can change the subject.

CGP

#7 Post by CGP »

Thanks. I added "[SOLVED]".