Pale Moon cannot play videos on twitter

Using applications, configuring, problems
CGP

Pale Moon cannot play videos on twitter

#1 Post by CGP »

Hi. When I try to play any video on twitter, the error message "The media could not be played" is displayed in the frame where the video should be playing. That happens for *every* video on twitter. I am using Pale Moon 27.4.2 (the latest as of now) 32 bit on TahrPup 6.0.5.

I tried disabling my video-related add-ons. That did not help.

I googled this problem and got no help either.

Please help. Thanks.

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

You probably need to install Flash Player?

There should be an entry in menu Internet (Get flash player or similar) to install Flash Player.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

CGP

#3 Post by CGP »

Yes! I did not know about Internet -> GetFlash: install Flashplayer. That must be the problem. However, I just tried running it and I got the error message "Unable to contact the server, please check your internet connection, then restart GetFlashPlayer." I am on the internet now. There is no problem with my internet connection. GetFlashPlayer is v.1.5-6.

Any ideas?

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Try what RHS says, but I don't think that is the problem.

I think the problem is that Twitter videos won't play with Flash, only with HTML5, which is what your browser is having problems with.

Here is a long and confusing thread on the issue.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r307562 ... o-playback

Google "pale moon twitter html5"

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

CGP

#6 Post by CGP »

RSH:

I downloaded and installed flash-player-npapi-27.0.0.130-release.i386.rpm from the Adobe site you provided. It installed successfully and appears in Start->Utility. I still have the same problem with playing videos on twitter.

dancytron:

I have not read your link. I will now and see if it helps.

All:

Other ideas? If we really cannot play videos on twitter using Pale Moon, we have problem!

Kicalaf

#7 Post by Kicalaf »

I am using slacko 5.5 and now tahrpup 6.0.6 on USB and can watch twitter videos perfectly.

In tahrpup get flash is not working also, but am installed update_flash_1.8 and I can automatically flash player with it,

Possible some command in about:config starting with media should be on true.

dancytron

#8 Post by dancytron »

I took a look at my notes (I keep notes, I am a geek).

Go to this link.

https://www.youtube.com/html5

I believe to get video to work on twitter, H.264 one has to be green.

CGP

#9 Post by CGP »

dancytron:

I'm glad you keep notes!

At https://www.youtube.com/html5, all are checked (blue, actually), except for "H.264", "MSE & H.264" and "MSE & WebM VP9". Those 3 have a red exclamation mark.

So, what do I do to fix it?

--

I am trying to upgrade to Tahrpup 6.0.6 due to Kicalaf's post. I would rather not bother, but I guess I have to. A problem is that the 6.0.6 on ibiblo's repository seems to be for UEFI only and I do not know if my computers have that. I am trying to figure that out. My newest computer is from 2011. I don't think they have UEFI.

dancytron

#10 Post by dancytron »

Don't know.

On Windows XP, you can't fix it for Firefox. I use Chrome instead. On linux I always use Chrome.

Sorry, but hopefully you now have better things to use to search on Google.

CGP

#11 Post by CGP »

I just checked and found that the computer I usually use on the internet does not have UEFI. My other computers are older still, so I think they don't. Apparently I cannot install Tahrpup 6.0.6 and so cannot upgrade Tahrpup until a new Tahrpup distribution comes out.

Pale Moon on Tahrpup does have a problem at the present time. Disappointing.

Maybe I will try Chrome. [It IS a google product, so I am wary about it spying on users.]

LazY Puppy

#12 Post by LazY Puppy »

There is no Puppy Linux for UEFI only.

UEFI Puppies can definitely boot on non UEFI Computers.
RSH

CGP

#13 Post by CGP »

OK. I will upgrade to Tahrpup 6.0.6 and let you know if Pale Moon plays twitter videos on it.

CGP

#14 Post by CGP »

Yes, Pale Moon 27.4.2 on Tahrpup x64 6.0.6 works: it does play videos on Twitter!

FYI: flash player is not needed for that.

Thanks for the help.

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hah! Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead using 'social media'.

Twitter? Facebook? Urghh.... I value my privacy. :roll:

Lazy's right, though; the 'UEFI' Pups have been written in such a way that the hardware type is detected at boot, and the bootloader then switches to using the appropriate modules for your machine.

Works pretty well, too!

Mike. :wink:

CGP

#16 Post by CGP »

Hi Mike. I agree about social media including Twitter and Facebook. I don't have accounts on either one. But a website I use has links to others' twitter accounts. I want to be able to watch their videos.

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

CGP wrote:Hi Mike. I agree about social media including Twitter and Facebook. I don't have accounts on either one. But a website I use has links to others' twitter accounts. I want to be able to watch their videos.
Good lad! You've some sense, after all..... :lol:

It's the same with some of the forums I frequent. Often links are given to YouTube vids, etc. I'm a long-term Chrome/Chromium user. The very last 32-bit Linux Chrome ( Chrome 48 ) will play these back fine.

I also use some of the Chromium-based 'clones'; SlimJet & Iron in particular. Recent versions, based on Chromium from 56 onwards, have a bug where you can't access anything Google-related.....and YouTube are, of course, part of the Google 'empire'.

It'll tell you something like 'Attackers are trying to steal your personal details, etc., etc.'.....and won't let you go any further. It's all to do with the fact that Google have recently become their own certificate authority, and they want everyone on 64-bit. They still produce 32-bit Chromium (Google sponsor the Chromium Project, y'see), but they don't really want you to use it..... :roll:

Mike. :wink: