Multimedia Pup for thin client: .NET/KDE/Mono? Suggestions?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
laserted

Multimedia Pup for thin client: .NET/KDE/Mono? Suggestions?

#1 Post by laserted »

Hi all -
I've puppied for some time now and still choose it as my slim distro for embedded options, however I am now stuck at a choice and could use some opinions -

I have a developer creating a multimedia platform for me (I'm out of time and don't have that full of a skillset in Linux for the requirements, I digress) but it looks like it's going to be a .NET build on KDE.

I'd like to retain Puppy. I'd like to not have to go to a full blown Fedora. Any useable suggestions as to how I can make this work? I'd also like to remain spindleless, but if I need to go to a 1+ gig Hd, that can be arranged.

Thanks for the suggs,

Ted.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

At first I was gonna suggest the work be done in Java as we already support java (via Dotpup)

If it is multimedia then actionscript would also run on everything.

I am assuming you wish to go with .Net

. . . m m m let me put it like this I was beginning to see very nice programs written in .Net for XP and was often just about to download (but it required a 20 meg .NET download - which I do not know what is in - what it does and nor do the people I consider impartial)

There is not that much difference between java and .Net from the programmers viewpoint. Why do they wish to do it in .Net?

Whatever you decide (and it is a good relationship with the programmer that is important) I wish you well. It is your money - tell them what you want. Will the program be Open Source?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nameless foo

#3 Post by nameless foo »

laserted

.NET on Puppy

#4 Post by laserted »

Actually, I had originally drawn specs for a console mode app in C (since I can do C) and I didn't want the overhead of a windowed GUI. As things evolved, it's become bigger perhaps before getting better.

I have zippo background in Java, let alone how much Puppy supports.

Since some of it is not yet for public release, without going into too much detail, I've been tasked to build an embedded media platform where an operator will key in a sequence to activate a media event (mpeg playback, for example, or slideshow etc) and it runs. After that event is complete, the screen clears and the idle mode is a jpeg still with an mp3 playing in the background. Pretty simple (ok, so that's the simple version!) - but one of the problems is that is has to startup unattended and run fullscreen without popping back to a console or desktop without permission. There's a whole slew of tiny effects and addons, along with trigger options that would be planned in future revs, but at its heart, it's not much more than a customized media player. Could I even get the fullscreen (no browser borders either) option, or would it be too messy? As we are just getting the buld environments built I still have the option to make chenges that would benefit the efficiency of the build...

It's not meant to be a solicitation, but your opinions are very much appreciated.

(BTW - if this needs to move to a different section, let me know)
Thanks,

Ted.

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

The Mono sources and other .NET ports have many requirements. I am sure that it would be possible to compile it for puppy, but to the best of my knowledge noone has tried it yet successfully.

I guess that the only way to know is downloading the sources and compiling it.

Once I tried to start from the sources (before mono had rpm's for fedora), I was able to have the runtime running but I found my self in dependency hell when trying to install the development tools. Around that time I saw that there were rpm's and didn't try it any more.

One solution is for the developer will do the development in a big distro like Fedora or SuSE (SuSE is the better supported one as Novell funds the Mono project). Then just have the runtime compiled for puppy if that's where you want to run the application.

To compile for puppy you can use Vector or you can try the 1.0.5 beta.

laserted

Was: .NET and KDE for Puppy - Now: Not Overthinking the Prob

#6 Post by laserted »

Hmmm....sounds like I'm going to need to redirect the project a bit.

Just for kicks I downloaded ActiveState's TCL for Windows last night as well as the QuickTime wrapper set. I had no idea that I could get a full-screen (non-windowed, non-bordered portal) inside of Windows using TCL. I thought is was strictly "little forms boxes" on the desktop. I think a clever person could actually pull this off in TCL!

Clever persons: Can Puppy's TCL support the MPlayer libraries? And can I drop an exec myprog.tcl in the profile file to have it run (exchange it with the "exec xwin" line?)

Further thoughts?

OT: Lob - Kitchener, huh? Wow small world - I'm originally from the GrandBend/Exeter area (on the way to London via Hwy4) - working from Orlando, FL now! Traded slush for hurricanes. Hmmm.

Ted.

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

I'm starting to 'get' it.

You want a multimedia kiosk that boots to the application to memory so you don't have to leave the CD.

You want puppy for it's small size and speed so you don't have to spend too much on the harware for the presence points.

Is your application interactive or just a cycling frame?

Do you gather data or just present information? (e.g. shopping cart vs. turist kiosk).

Your actuall requirements may dictate the platform and not the other way around. What I know is that there is no reason why you should not be able to do it with puppy.

laserted

#8 Post by laserted »

It would be interactive, only by a "trained operator" though, not your average viewer. I hadn't considered the similarities between this project and a kiosk - they are very similar however. No need to gather data - just responding to the user directives then revert to a default image when in an idle (original media event completed) state. For the rev 1 release, at least!

I agree that the application should dictate the platform - somehow the platform has started to morph into the needs of the programmer, not the program....time to wander back ON to the path....

TEd.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

OK you seem to have a clear idea of what you want - I have a programmer in mind who is skilled in this sort of thing - and he is a Puppy and looking for work

. . . our very own BladeHunter . . .

Make him an offer - Blade are you up for it?

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D