Filezilla vs gFTP

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
fabrice_035

Filezilla vs gFTP

#1 Post by fabrice_035 »

Hi,

In Tahrpup 6.x and other puppy distri (slacko) a FTP default is gFTP, what do you think about Filezilla ?

Filezilla run without compile, try https://filezilla-project.org/download. ... form=linux work fine.

And in quickpet, i can't see Filezilla. :roll:

Regard.

smokey01

#2 Post by smokey01 »

Are you sure the latest FileZilla will run on Puppy. I think it needs gtk3.
I like FileZilla because it can drag and drop files between directories on remote sites, gFTP can't. Otherwise gFTP works fine.

fabrice_035

#3 Post by fabrice_035 »

With Tahrpup 6.0.6, work fine.

Anyone can try, always compiled and ready to run , just extract archive.

lmemsm

#4 Post by lmemsm »

I like filezilla. Haven't really used gftp. Last time I built filezilla, it needed wxwidgets. gftp needs GTK (1.x or 2.x). There are several backends to wxwidgets on Linux. One is just X11, but I would be willing to guess support isn't complete enough to compile filezilla with that. Wxwidgets typically used GTK 2.x. Their web site says later versions can support GTK 3. They've also added a Qt backend ( https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/WxQt ). Don't know if it has better support than the X11 backend, but might be an interesting alternative.

I'd personally like to find a lightweight console based (ncurses) or simple GUI based ftp client that works similar to filezilla that doesn't require a large GUI library to build and run it.

Ananda98

#5 Post by Ananda98 »

Hi,

I usually use FileZilla on Windows, and gFTP in Linux. Probably, I can't give review how FileZilla works on Linux, or vice versa. But, IMHO, I think both of them are same.

FileZilla, I think has nice interface and easy to use. When I use FTP, the first FTP clients that I use is FileZilla. On the other hand, gFTP has simple interface (very, very simple), and litte bit confusing to use at the first time. But, after trying several times, I feel it also easy to use, similar with FileZilla.

Reason why I don't use FileZilla in Linux, is... by default, gFTP is available in Puppy, and it works perfectly, so I don't need to install other FTP clients. On the other hand, there is no FTP client in Windows, so I need to install one.