BarelyPup-2.13-0.1 - Nearly empty Puppy 2.13

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pakt

Re: Pup Naming

#41 Post by pakt »

jam wrote:I had used Murga's latest "Mean Puppy" as my base but I'm going to try this one instead to build on. Another name I would suggest is BasePup, but BarelyPup is fine with me. There are so many flavors that at some point it's quite a project to track the various versions.
Yes, 'BasePup' is not bad, but a bit of fun never hurts ;)

One thing to keep in mind is that not all of these Puppy variants are based on the same version of Puppy. In fact this is what I see as being the biggest problem - not everyone making a Puppy variant includes the original Puppy version it's based on in the name. That would make selection much easier - most people would choose one based on a recent Puppy version. Then there is also the problem of naming a variant the same as an existing one but made by someone else... :roll:

BTW, I'm going to add a list of packages that I used to the first post. BarelyPup is not really meant to run 'as is' since many packages have been left out, e.g. dialup networking. A list of packages will make it easier to decide what to add.

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

pakt

#42 Post by pakt »

Ok, I've added a list of the packages in BarelyPup to the first post.

pakt

#43 Post by pakt »

freke wrote:Yes whenever I make a cd or dvd as I do with all other iso, when I try to save I get the message something like (growsoft line 180 missing tme to upgrade to a dvd)
I am still learning.
Ok, the problem is that the CD/DVD burning packages are not included in BarelyPup. This was done in order to keep BarelyPup as small as possible. Not everyone needs the burning tools. You can make an iso file with BarelyPup, but you'll need to run Puppy to burn the iso image to a disc. The alternative is to use pupget to install the packages needed for CD/DVD burning.

Paul

freke

#44 Post by freke »

Thanks for the exlanation Paul,
I have saved it to my usb, and I am quite happy with that, but is there a way to transfer the save from the usb to my cd or dvd.

Ted javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

pakt

#45 Post by pakt »

freke wrote:I have saved it to my usb, and I am quite happy with that, but is there a way to transfer the save from the usb to my cd or dvd.
Ted, if you've got the iso file saved on a USB stick, just boot your PC with a 'normal' Puppy (like 2.13). Then just mount the USB stick with MUT and point the burner program to the file on the USB stick. The directory should be /mnt/sda1/

Hope that helps ;)

Paul

freke

#46 Post by freke »

Paul, sad to report failure on my part, I loaded puppy and mounted the usb then used burndiso2cd I tried as a multiple cd then as a single,
and loaded it to /mnt/sda1/ when that did not work I used /mnt/sda1/.iso
the read out came too fast for me to read but each time it failed to load,
what have I missed?

Ted

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#47 Post by Lobster »

BarelyPup clearly belongs to the family of "Barebones" here is the original logo . . .

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

lvds

#48 Post by lvds »

pakt wrote:Exactly why I created BarelyPup. Perhaps you should use that instead ;) Paul
I have began to use barelypup as a base to build a new distro but i have experimented a few problems regarding installation of new packages. If i use the PET-PUP pack manager to install a PET it always report problem and refuses to install. You can try for example with galculator.pet. It is ok to install PUPs if i click on them with ROX but i had no success with PETs.

Perhaps it is linked to a previously reported problem, but can you check and if the bug has been corrected yet perhaps may you build an update for Barelypup ?

Thanks for all

GatorDog

Abiword in barelypup

#49 Post by GatorDog »

slvrldy17 wrote:Been playing with this pup since you posted it - with mixed results. Am using an IBM T21 Thinkpad - P3 700Mghz, 512MB RAM. Have added a couple of browsers/applications - Iceweasel and Dillo and MT Paint installed/worked successfully. Some others - Firefox 2.0.0.1, Opera 9.1, and Abiword install OK according to the Pupget pkg manager and show up in the menu but will not open or run. Not sure why.
For Abiword, Petget reports missing dependencies:
libgnomecanvas-2.so.0
libgnomeprint-2-2.xo.0
libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0

I booted a full puppy. Copied the following files from /usr/lib to a jump drive.
libgnomecanvas-2.so.01400.0
libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0.1.0
libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0.1.0

Reboot barelypup. Copy the files to /usr/lib.
You have to create a symlink to these files.
To each of these files: Right click, select -Link
(a little window pops up to edit the symlink )
Edit the filename to the shorter version (first list above)
Click on the Symlink button.

Abiword should work now.

Petget also reported that fribidi-0.10.7 library is needed but it downloaded
that file successfully on it's own.

As my kids would say, "barelypup rocks!". :D

rod

GatorDog

#50 Post by GatorDog »

What do I need to add to BarelyPup to get Partition size and
Manage Running Processes to work from the taskbar freemem applet?

rod

edited

Similar to above solution. I copied /usr/sbin/kp and /usr/sbin/partview from
another version to BarelyPup; same folders.
Last edited by GatorDog on Fri 16 Feb 2007, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

vanchutr

Dear Pakt

#51 Post by vanchutr »

I played with your BarelyPup. It's good tiny Puppy.
But I can't connect to internet because I can't used the Network Wizard with the auto dhcp (via ieth0). I think you will keep the auto dhcp (via eth0) in your net-setup script. Will you?

With your BarelyPup I made many things: I'd added the ghostscript and the gsview to manager the .pdf file. My Samsung ML1610 printer work well with your cups (3.0) package.

Thanks.

GatorDog

#52 Post by GatorDog »

The Network Wizard would not load the at76_usb wireless driver in
BarelyPup 2.13 . Though it's listed in the wizard, it errors and reports
that the at76_usb driver could not be found, try another driver.

fwiw - There is an at76_usb folder in
/lib/modules/2.6.18.1/kernal/drivers/net/wireless/at76_usr

Regular Pup 2.13 also has an at76_usb folder in /sys/module/ ,
but BarelyPup wouldn't allow it to be copied into /sys/module/

rod

VariEze

#53 Post by VariEze »

Can't download it, is there a torrent? --Karl

Todd

#54 Post by Todd »

wdef

#55 Post by wdef »

I can't find BarelyPup on any of the given links.

Where is it? Please don't tell me it's a dead dog already!!!!

drob

#56 Post by drob »

rerwin

BarelyPup brings Internet Appliance back from the grave!

#57 Post by rerwin »

I have for over a year hoped to get Puppy running on my abandoned MSN Companion/Compaq IA-1, to replace the Midori linux distro that seems impossible to customize. BarelyPup fulfills that hope!

I installed (USB > IDE) BarelyPup from a CD bootup onto a 512MB compact flash card (although 256M would suffice) partitioned with a 100MB hda2 swap partition. Hda1 is formatted fat16 and with its "boot" flag set (critical!); I used the fatmbr boot image.

As I was using a network-connected PC, I installed (using Package Manager) the packages: ppp 4.3.0, modem_stats (not sure if I need it), and gkdial-patched. I copied modem-wizard from a Puppy 2.13 CD pup_213.sfs file into /usr/sbin. I also installed (actually later from the IA-1, but could have earlier) some apps: dillo, gsview, gqview, linux-firewall. On shutsown, I saved the pup_save.sfs file onto the CF card.

After moving the CF card to the appliance and changing the boot order to the secondary (D:) IDE device, the IA-1 booted right into BarelyPup! Both dillo and gkdial appeared in the menu. The appliance has a built-in modem and the wizard was successful with the ttyLT0 option. And I connected at 49kbs! A complete success!

The IA-1 has only 32MB of ram, but the "free" command shows it using only ~9MB of the swap partition (with very little running). I assume that if I run only 1 or 2 apps at a time the performance will remain acceptable -- it seems similar to that of the original MSN Companion software, a very "relaxed" pace.

IA-1 details: 266MHz K6-2, 32MB ram, hda: 16MB built-in CF module (now containing Midori), hdc: 512MB CF (BarelyPup+swap) in the built-in CF connector, Lucent 56K modem, sound (which works out-of-the-box), infrared keyboard/pointer, 800x600 dual-scan LCD screen, and 4 USB connectors that are unusable because of a too-weak power supply.

What prompted me to try BarelyPup was the discussion elsewhere about using the CF card containing a swap partition and accepting that the card would die an early death. To try to delay the inevitable, I intend to reduce the swap partition, leaving space before it, so I might be able to replace an expired swappart with a new one to be created in the free space. Whether that works depends on where the card "wears out".

In my experimentation, I tried Puppy 2.16 installed the same way. But it ran unaccepatably slowly, sometimes hung up, but most disconcerting, encountered a serious error during bootup without a pup_save and a "fatal" error when booting with a pup_save. So I would like to run any later test versions of BarelyPup to be sure those killer problems do not occur with them.

Thank you very much for making BarelyPup and for planning to include dialup support in it. That will avoid the need to install those packages over broadband--important for those who don't have it. I now look forward to activating the special function buttons, because using the keyboad is faster than navigation with the pointer device (similar to a force stick).

Richard

jcagle

#58 Post by jcagle »

Sounds like a good puplet to base my recording studio puplet on.

Look for PupBeatz sometime in the future.

jcagle

#59 Post by jcagle »

Well, it'd help if any of those links actually worked for me.

jcagle

#60 Post by jcagle »

Never mind, one of the links works now.