EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

#181 Post by BarryK »

smokey01 wrote: Desktop terminal icon opens rxvt and not urxvt. I only discovered this by using radky's urxvtcontrol.
Thanks, fixed.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Easy Linux 0.4 pre-alpha, released Aug 27, 2017

#182 Post by BarryK »

ETP wrote:9. SNS not connecting at first boot was seen. I cannot find anything that has changed in SNS but have seen this issue in
WoofCE Pups. In addition in recent Pups I have seen intermittent failure to connect subsequently following a reboot.
The profile is not lost but is not read. Changing to a static I/P does not cure the problem but at least eliminates
DHCP as a suspect. I do wonder whether this is something to do with more recent kernels/firmware when 2 viable cards
are detected, i.e wireless & ethernet. In the past it was quite common to need to install additional firmware before a
wireless/bt card became available for selection.
I haven't checked first-bootup yet, but did get that reconnect failure on a reboot. Testing with ethernet.

I found the cause: Easy is too fast, or dhcpcd has become slower.

In /usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network, "dhcpcd eth0" is launched, then the script checks /etc/resolv.conf to see if it has changed.

dhcpcd daemonizes and returns to the script before having written to /etc/resolv.conf

I put in a little delay, "sleep 0.1", now works.

belham2

#183 Post by belham2 »

Hi Barry,

Had a quick question that I wanted to run by you: I've got this partition showing up in Thunar, yet nowhere else in Easy is it being seen. Terminal "blkid" shows it doesn't exist. Mounting it shows the partition to be "empty" yet Gparted can't see it either. Any ideas what this could be?? Would it be related to the Containers, and is their partition to use whenever we fire up a "Containered" program we've set up?

Thanks for any ideas/help with this.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#184 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:Hi Barry,

Had a quick question that I wanted to run by you: I've got this partition showing up in Thunar, yet nowhere else in Easy is it being seen. Terminal "blkid" shows it doesn't exist. Mounting it shows the partition to be "empty" yet Gparted can't see it either. Any ideas what this could be?? Would it be related to the Containers, and is their partition to use whenever we fire up a "Containered" program we've set up?

I don't know. What name does Thunar give to this partition?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Easy Linux 0.4 pre-alpha, released Aug 27, 2017

#185 Post by BarryK »

ETP wrote:3. Hardinfo refused to launch suggesting that permissions were a possible cause.
They were O/K, but I resolved the issue by copying /usr/lib/hardinfo to /usr/lib64

4. The exec line in Urxvt Terminal Emulator desktop file points incorrectly at rxvt. (Changed to urxvt)
Thanks. These are fixed.

belham2

#186 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:Hi Barry,

I don't know. What name does Thunar give to this partition?

This is crazy. I'm in Seamonkey, logged-in in a Container, and it has booted me out three times now. Then, it also showed I posted my pic, and then yet it didn't because loggin out shows afterwards no pic was posted. I'm telling ya, Barry, this "Container" for the browser ONLY when logged into any site is just plain firstrate voodoo. It's done this to me on so many sites I have to start telling myself to "stop" using 'Seamonkey in a Container' when I want to log into any site. Regular surfing/browsing is ok, but not loggin in to anything. Seamonkey goes wonky inside a Container IF logged in.

Anyway, here was the pic to accompany above:
Attachments
Easy0.4-ghost-partition-showing-in-thunar-that-is-empty-and-not-even-seen-by-Easy.jpg
(120.59 KiB) Downloaded 656 times

belham2

#187 Post by belham2 »

{followu}

Hi Barry,

Upon further digging I found this (pic below), and I've still no idea what it is and/or what it does since it is completely empty (no hidden files or anything)
Attachments
shm-is-what-since-its-completely-empty.jpg
(98.14 KiB) Downloaded 648 times

Keef

#188 Post by Keef »

belham2

#189 Post by belham2 »

Hi Keef,

Thanks for the link. I never assumed it was something sinister, haha, as that idea in one of Barry's distros would never occur to me. His stuff is above-reproach for me. Anyway, it was actually I thought "I" did something to Easy because I fooled around and installed XFCE on top some days back. For instance, after getting XFCE all set up, awhile later I had plugged a Data USB in Easy and for near 15 mins the thing went nuts, mouted then not mounted, mounted, then not mounted---the icon appearing & dsiappearing in the file manager winking on and off every second. Almost 15 mins this kept up, lol. So wiht that, then on top of the weirdness with Seamonkey inside Containers (which to be fair occurs even without XFCE), I was figuring----after seeing this "shm" being continually mounted by Thunar, I figured I surely must have messed something up overall when first "furgally" installing Easy. Anyhow, thanks again! :wink:

Dry Falls

shm

#190 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi Belham

I think that shm thing is telling you it's all working correctly. Thunar/xfce uses gvfs -mount to mount/automount/dismount drives and puts them in /run/media/root (or whomever you're logged in as). If thunar (or even pcman) unmounts them, the link & icon will disappear. Pmount doesn't always see this, and running under xfce, pupeventd (or it's Easy equivalent) is probably turned off/not enabled.

Anyway, there has to be communication between what's going on in the sandbox and out. I'm impresed that Barry even got the system (integration) to work as well as he did (probably not surprising!).

Logging in to a root account should present problems from the sandbox. Think "spot". You probably have to (like spot) set up new accounts within the sandbox but I'm not sure they'd persist beyond the session. I'm only guessing.

Apparently, the new seamonkey is now derived from firefox engine, so a lot of the old stuff doesn't work - it seems buggy to me. Version 2.46 is reliable, however.

df

BarryK
Puppy Master

#191 Post by BarryK »

Testing SeaMonkey in a container, booted off a USB stick.

Have been using it for the last hour, no trouble so far. Downloaded some files, watched a video on youtube.

But belham2 has reported problems with being logged in. Right now, logged into this forum, will see if it posts ok.

Note, I am running SM by typing "ec-chroot seamonkey" in a terminal so that I can watch for any error messages.
Last edited by BarryK on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#192 Post by BarryK »

Ok, will upload a picture...
Attachments
gtkam-folder-camera.png
(3.85 KiB) Downloaded 536 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#193 Post by BarryK »

Working ok, no sinister error messages on the terminal, except for non-fatal pixman errors.

belham2,
I think that you reported the problems occurred when you did a frugal install, ok, I'll try that.

belham2

#194 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:Working ok, no sinister error messages on the terminal, except for non-fatal pixman errors.

belham2,
I think that you reported the problems occurred when you did a frugal install, ok, I'll try that.

Barry,

Just curious if you found anything? Let's use the murga forum as an example:

1) I open Seamonkey in its Container

2) I log in to murga

3) I make a post

4) I realize I made an error plus I forgot to include a picture in that post

5) While still logged in, I go back to the post

6) I hit "Edit"

(..........here's where the weirdness always starts.........)

7) Seamonkey will randomly log me out, or

7a) Seamonkey will not show corrections that I just uploaded to that message in that thread

7b) Seamonkey will state the picture doesn't exist (after uploading it!) even though I can log out and close Seamonkey down, then surf back to murga and that thread/message, and the picture is there

What's even worse is that Seamonkey will do strange things sometimes loggin in, after you've logged out. Say you need to log back in, Seamonkey will not let you. Or, it will download "login.php" files to your EasyOS in various places, like some kind of replicating virus

I have seen all this behavior in 'frugal' installs only. In full installs to a USB, I have not seen it. I am wondering if it is even EAsy and the Containers. Quite honestly, Seamonkey 2.48 is unstable as heck on many sites, and quite a few people across the Internet (in different forums) are starting to complain about it and/or have abandoned it.

I am at the point where I going to completely delete 2.48 and drop back the stable 2.46, or I am going to load the newest FirefoxESR in the Seamonkey folder, and forget about the using the Seamonkey Suite. There is just something wrong operating in 'frgual', and I don't know how to track it down and/or if it is Easy & the Containers, or is it Seamonkey, or a combo of both??

don570

#195 Post by don570 »

I have decided to delete all the whiteout files, whenever the sfs layers change, or at a version upgrade.
I'm just an amateur , but remember that pschedule tasks must be
saved for next bootup.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#196 Post by BarryK »

smokey01 wrote:@Barry, I found a more serious problem. I just tried the same USB stick on my small asus netbook. Everything seem to boot fine until I clicked on the File icon and sdd2 could not be accessed because it doesn't exist. It does on my desktop. The lappy only has sda1 and sdb1 and sdb2 when the USB stick is plugged in. Because of this the previous saves were not loaded or changes saved at shutdown.

Sfsget and wifi all worked fine but it won't exist on a reboot. I think it needs to be a bit more portable between machines.

Cheers
Thanks, fixed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#197 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:Also I find Easy crashes when I try to move a Rox Filer window
using the window menu and selecting 'Move'
I have done that lots of times, no problem.

Just tried it now on the Mele PCG35 mini-PC (my new toy), works ok.

Does your PC have Intel graphics?

All of my computers have Intel video, so that's all I can test on.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#198 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:Hi Barry and all,

When first using Easy Linux 4.0, I did the full install image to a USB and have had (honestly) zero major problems with it. There's little things that need fixing, but nothing in my mind worth mentioning. The Container function runs great, and is dam# near impregnable in my tests. But, I decided to do a 'frugal' install of Easy 4.0, and everything went great though I ran into some weird problem with Seamonkey.

Basically, after doing an inital setup & creating the first save on shutdown (along with xz to gz conversion on reboot), the problem is Seamonkey will not launch outside of the Container at all at next boot or thereafter
. Here are the steps that led to this:

1) did the 'frugal'install, followed bootcode instructions.

2) Easy launches great, I begin setting up Seamonkey (outside the Container first) which seems to go well. I mean, it launches and closes and launches no problems.

3) I do nothing else to Easy except launch Easy Package manager to update it, then closed it. Then I add a file to /root/.jwm where I created a "jwmrc-personal" file, with only one entry that allows the jwm tray to show the minixcal clock in big, bold font. Here's the entry:

Code: Select all

<ClockStyle>
 <Font>Ionic Charge-18:slant=italic:weight=demibold</Font>
</ClockStyle>
Saved this, went back to desktop, restarted Jwm, all was fine as the clock jumped up to my setting.

4) Then I restarted, created the savefile, and booted back in.

5) Upon booting back in, everything looks great except Seamonkey will not launch at all. Not from the Menu, not going into /usr/sharea/pplications & clicking its desktop file, and not even going directly to /usr/libs/seamonkey folder and/or /usr/bin/ folder and clicking the mozilla symlink that starts it. Nothing will launch Seamonkey.

6) Yet, if I now launch Seamonkey in "ec-chroot", it starts right up as it should, and I go about doing all the same settings as before when Seamonkey is 'outside' the Container.

Anyone seeing this too in a 'frugal' install? Any ideas, Barry??

Lastly, have another question about Easy, whether 'frugal' and/or full installed to usb-----after we download the easy-devx, is there no option to "load-on-the-fly" the devx? Is that not possible with how Easy is setup? I wanted to compile some stuff, but saw that I had to use Easy BootManager every time to load the devx at startup, then restart so the devx is loaded, do my compiling, then have to reset Easy BootManager once more & reboot just to get the Easy-devx unloaded.

What am i missing here? This is a bit cumbersome, haha :wink: Is using SFS-Load-on-the-fly verbotten with Easy Linux??

Thanks for help and/or feedback about the above. In my eyes, this Container stuff is super, and increases the security of using a pup or pup-like OS exponentially. No other pup comes close to this..... [/code]
I have added all kinds of checking when the layers change, which is done in the initrd.q, before the layers get setup.

I don't think that shinobar's load-on-the-fly is capable of this kind of checking, or maybe not to the same extent.

So, yes, a reboot is required.

Once I have loaded devx sfs, I leave it loaded, it does no harm being one of the layers.

In theory, the "sh0" container (see Utility menu), or run "ec-chroot sh0" could have the devx sfs loaded, and do compiling in a container.

Go to "Filesystem -> Easy Container Management" and can select the devx sfs to load in sh0 container. That does not require a reboot!

That's in theory, I haven't actually tried compiling anything in the sh0 container.

It is at /mnt/wkg/containers/sh0, and the folder 'container' is the top of the layered f.s. -- so you could copy a source package here, when the container is running, then from inside the container terminal window, compile it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#199 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:Also, another issue, trying to run the remaster from a 'frugal" Easy install---fails every time. After you set things up, configure boot-specs and all, you'll get this message every boot:[/i]

:	
cp: can't stat /q_ro/q.sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS:  No such file or directory
/init: .: line 235: can't open '/q_ro/q_sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS'
Looked and realized when you remaster from a running 'frugal' install that you've already setup, the remaster script takes the ".../etc/...." above and DOES NOT rename it to "..../er-etc/......which exists after remastering. Even if I rename it in the init script, which I did, boot still fails at near same point."
Thanks for that report. I found a few bugs in the easy-remaster script, fixed. I did a test remaster, created a new q.sfs, and it works.

belham2

#200 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:Also, another issue, trying to run the remaster from a 'frugal" Easy install---fails every time. After you set things up, configure boot-specs and all, you'll get this message every boot:[/i]

:	
cp: can't stat /q_ro/q.sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS:  No such file or directory
/init: .: line 235: can't open '/q_ro/q_sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS'
Looked and realized when you remaster from a running 'frugal' install that you've already setup, the remaster script takes the ".../etc/...." above and DOES NOT rename it to "..../er-etc/......which exists after remastering. Even if I rename it in the init script, which I did, boot still fails at near same point."
Thanks for that report. I found a few bugs in the easy-remaster script, fixed. I did a test remaster, created a new q.sfs, and it works.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for all the fixes. I'll give the 'remaster" another try tonight and/or tomorrow.

Can i ask you a favor? Will you set up a test "frugal" install of Easy, then do the following:

1) Update PPM

2) and download/install latest Firefox

3) Open it up and play with it for a minute

(then the critical part)

4) open up "Easy Container Management" from Menu

5) create a Container for "Firefox"

6) watch it create the said container

7) but then try to find some way to launch it from the "ec-chroot friefox.dekstop" that Easy Container Management created.

I must be doing something terribly wrong :oops: . I can't get anything to launch, created with Easy Container Management, in any of my 'frugal' installs of Easy 0.4. I had to "manually" copy everything (firefox-related) over from the non-container side into the 'Firefox" Container itself. Why? Well, even though Easy Container Management created the Firefox container, it is/was nowhere to be found in the Container itself. :cry: I even had to create my own symlink from the Container back to the non-Container desktop so Firefox would lauch from the Container (or at least that's what I hope is happening).

P.S. Substitutng Firefox, though, for Seamonkey in my 'frugal' installs (have 3 going on different USBs) has solved all the weirdness I was reporting from Seamonkey. I'm thankful for that as it was driving me crazy :wink: