How to install programs?

Booting, installing, newbie
Banli

How to install programs?

#1 Post by Banli »

I'm trying to install the linux version of stepmania, but don't really understand how programs are installed/run via linux. I downloaded the binaries from stepmania.com, extracted them, but can't find any sort of executable to run like I would in windows. What do I need to do to get this to run?

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Executables don't end in .exe in Linux, so it's a little trickier to distinguish them (easy when you get used to it). The filemanager will usually show them as a gear or cog of some sort. Sometimes the filename will be green or some other color. Usually they are named the same as the package. They usually reside in a bin directory (short for binary). The main ones that Puppy sees in the path (as in you can just type the name in a terminal window from anywhere) are /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, and /root/my-applications/bin. There are others (like /sbin) but they are usually for more system-level apps.

Often a package will come with a mini-replica of the filesystem inside, so you'd move the contents of <package>usr/ to /usr/. Other times the package is self-contained, like Firefox. In that case, you just symlink the executable to one of the places in the path (/usr/local/bin is a good choice).

Symlinking is done by dragging a file with the middle mouse button (or scroll wheel).

That should cover most packages. Sometimes you get wierd ones though.

Of course, you'll still need to make sure the dependencies are met. The quickest method is to just run it (by launching from the command line, which lets you see error messages).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Banli

#3 Post by Banli »

So I tried symlinking the stepmania .bin (I think it's .bin anyway, it's green and its icon is a cog) to /usr/bin and then I tried to run it.

I'm assuming that by symlinking you meant using the middle wheel to move the file to the other directory and then create an absolute link... because that's what I did.

Nothing appeared. I opened the x cmdline and put in the run field: stepmania (the name of the file) and the cmd line closed and nothing happened. Is it possible I need graphics drivers for this game/program to run properly? If so, how do I get gfx drivers for puppy? And if this isn't the issue, what am I doing wrong in terms of just trying to run the program?

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know. Try running it from RXVT instead (the icon that says 'console'). That way nothing will disappear, so you can get error messages.

Graphics drivers for many cards can be installed with MU's 3DCC dotpup.

I'll download the package myself later today to see what it looks like.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay. Install your graphics drivers and OpenGL with 3DCC. You might also need to install SDL (also in 3DCC). Then go into the StepMania-3.9 directory. You should be able to just click the stepmania file and it will start. If not, open a terminal window there (press x in older Puppies, ` (the tilde key) in Puppies 2.13 or newer (or Pizzapup)). Then type this to run it from there:

Code: Select all

./stepmania
That should let you see the error messages.

This package does not let you link the stepmania binary to /usr/local/bin. You'd have to do this to make it work:
Put the StepMania-3.9 directory in /usr/local/
Go to /usr/local/bin, right-click, and choose new -> new-script.
Name the script stepmania.
Right-click that script, go to "open as text". Replace the inside with this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/StepMania-3.9/stepmania
Now you could run it from the commandline with just the command stepmania. You can drag that new file to the desktop too.

You can put the StepMania-3.9 directory anywhere, just adjust the path to fit. You could also just drag the binary to the desktop and not bother with the above, if you don't care about whether it's in the path or not.

EDIT: I think you need SDL installed also. It can be done easily through 3DCC. SDL is installed by default in Pizzapup.