EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

#201 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:
BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:Also, another issue, trying to run the remaster from a 'frugal" Easy install---fails every time. After you set things up, configure boot-specs and all, you'll get this message every boot:[/i]

Code: Select all

:	
cp: can't stat /q_ro/q.sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS:  No such file or directory
/init: .: line 235: can't open '/q_ro/q_sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS'
Looked and realized when you remaster from a running 'frugal' install that you've already setup, the remaster script takes the ".../etc/...." above and DOES NOT rename it to "..../er-etc/......which exists after remastering. Even if I rename it in the init script, which I did, boot still fails at near same point."
Thanks for that report. I found a few bugs in the easy-remaster script, fixed. I did a test remaster, created a new q.sfs, and it works.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for all the fixes. I'll give the 'remaster" another try tonight and/or tomorrow.

Can i ask you a favor? Will you set up a test "frugal" install of Easy, then do the following:

1) Update PPM

2) and download/install latest Firefox

3) Open it up and play with it for a minute

(then the critical part)

4) open up "Easy Container Management" from Menu

5) create a Container for "Firefox"

6) watch it create the said container

7) but then try to find some way to launch it from the "ec-chroot friefox.dekstop" that Easy Container Management created.

I must be doing something terribly wrong :oops: . I can't get anything to launch, created with Easy Container Management, in any of my 'frugal' installs of Easy 0.4. I had to "manually" copy everything (firefox-related) over from the non-container side into the 'Firefox" Container itself. Why? Well, even though Easy Container Management created the Firefox container, it is/was nowhere to be found in the Container itself. :cry: I even had to create my own symlink from the Container back to the non-Container desktop so Firefox would lauch from the Container (or at least that's what I hope is happening).

P.S. Substitutng Firefox, though, for Seamonkey in my 'frugal' installs (have 3 going on different USBs) has solved all the weirdness I was reporting from Seamonkey. I'm thankful for that as it was driving me crazy :wink:
Trying to reply from my phone... Not easy.

Test the remaster after i have uploaded Easy 0.5, in a few days.

I have relatives visiting, until Sunday, so can' t sit at my computer all day! So 0.5 might be delayed a little bit.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

don570

#202 Post by don570 »

BarryK wrote: don570 wrote:
Also I find Easy crashes when I try to move a Rox Filer window
using the window menu and selecting 'Move'

I have done that lots of times, no problem.

Just tried it now on the Mele PCG35 mini-PC (my new toy), works ok.
My intel graphics is probably different than yours,
because Easy .4 is the first Easy distro that I could boot all the way
to a desktop.

It probably is a bug with Xorg.

video report:

Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
oem: Intel(r) 82945G Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r) 82945G Chipset Family Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

Sage

#203 Post by Sage »

Easy .4 is the first Easy distro that I could boot all the way
to a desktop.

It probably is a bug with Xorg.
Miracles sometimes happen. I found one of my many machines that would boot an Easy, ie 0.4, too. It is an old 754 ECS board with SiS chipset (fairly rare?) and an even older Hannspree monitor.
Frankly, I think BK is barking up the wrong tree. Too clever by half. Easy is anything but easy. Writing elaborate HowTo belies that fact. K.I.S.S. (nearly) always prevails. There is now one single exception. I tumbled on the latest Knoppix 8.1 released yesterday (cf. Distrowatch http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1). It uses a composite .iso format that can be burnt to anything and/or wirtten directly to USB or SD using dd or ImageWriter, which, contrary to urban myth is available, gratis, for Linux (at least, it works in Mint). Knoppix is B-I-G, though, Out house sink job, hours to burn, but works OOTB.The problem with free stuff and retirees like BK and YT, we are free to follow whatever turns us on(/off). When users encounter something as convoluted as Easy with pages of explanation, all the users I know run for the hills - and it doesn't do my reputation any favours, either, if I recommend.
Right now, BK's exceptional talents are urgently required to get Fatdog, Slacko and a couple of other offshoots perfected. On the other hand, one understands that he doesn't want to do that for whatever reasons, including his drive to move on. Perhaps a return to RPi projects might prove more productive? There's a whole bundle of mobiles out there waiting for a genius to pop a Puppy/w.h.y. onto them and explain how to crack them. And, just in case, I know my views as a mere user are not shared in all quarters, so spare the nay-saying, please.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#204 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote: one flaw (see image)
There is no home folder

cd /mnt/home
and Samba has been set up by default to use /mnt/home
Thanks. I have fixed Samba Simple Management to use /file for Quirky builds, and /mnt/wkg/home for Easy builds.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Easy Linux 0.4 pre-alpha, released Aug 27, 2017

#205 Post by BarryK »

ETP wrote: 1. Change of wallpaper does not survive a restart of X.
I know why that is happening, it should be fixed in upcoming 0.5.

belham2

#206 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
ETP wrote: 1. Change of wallpaper does not survive a restart of X.
I know why that is happening, it should be fixed in upcoming 0.5.

Barry,

I give up. Ala' Clint Eastwood, I tried 'every which way but loose' at getting anything....I mean anything (not already included in Easy by you) to set up in a Container using a 'frugal' install. It just ain't possible, lol. No matter if you use PPM, and install it, or set up an sfs to load, you can set the Container up for it, Easy seems to do it easily, but nothing will run. I've tried Firefox (many different versions), I've tried Palemoon, I've tried Lxterminal, I've tried........the list is too long to put here. Either I'm dumb as a rock, or it just isn't possible in current versions of Easy when running 'frugal'. Now, in a full install to a USB, I can set up whatever my heart desires in a Container from anything I load and/or install. In frugal? As Scotty would say to the Captain: 'It ain't happening, mate, the warp drive is bloody-offline" 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#207 Post by BarryK »

ETP wrote:10. ListDD-2.0 was installed and used for a system check that revealed the following missing libs:

Easy OS-0.4
Wed 30 Aug 10:52:05 BST 2017

Scanned Dirs: /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/libexec /usr/games /lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib

Scanned Binary Files: 5473

If detected, missing dependencies are listed here:

/usr/lib/bluetooth/obexd
	libebook-1.2.so.16 => not found

/usr/lib/hiawatha/libmbedtls.so.2.4.2
	libmbedx509.so.0 => not found
	libmbedcrypto.so.0 => not found

/usr/lib/hiawatha/libmbedx509.so.2.4.2
	libmbedcrypto.so.0 => not found
Thanks, fixed

ETP

#208 Post by ETP »

Hi Barry,

To return to the topic of getflash you wrote in another thread:
Posted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 05:48 Post subject:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:
@jss83: This is the one I'm using. It has Geoffrey's fix in it. edit: Actually, the one jplt_bis posted works for me too.

Thanks for that, I will put it into Quirky.

Note, 'pet.specs' can be improved a bit:

getflash-1.7-1|getflash|1.7-1||Internet|56K||getflash-1.7-1.pet|+gtkdialog,+xdialog|download adobe flash player||||
The script references Xdialog rather than xdialog which may just be a typo. You may also want to check /usr/bin/
to confirm that you have the binary named as Xdialog.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#209 Post by BarryK »

ETP wrote:Hi Barry,

To return to the topic of getflash you wrote in another thread:
Posted: Sat 15 Jul 2017, 05:48 Post subject:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:
@jss83: This is the one I'm using. It has Geoffrey's fix in it. edit: Actually, the one jplt_bis posted works for me too.

Thanks for that, I will put it into Quirky.

Note, 'pet.specs' can be improved a bit:

getflash-1.7-1|getflash|1.7-1||Internet|56K||getflash-1.7-1.pet|+gtkdialog,+xdialog|download adobe flash player||||
The script references Xdialog rather than xdialog which may just be a typo. You may also want to check /usr/bin/
to confirm that you have the binary named as Xdialog.
getflash is fixed, and Easy does have Xdialog.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#210 Post by BarryK »

pupmate wrote:Eventually managed to get Easy 0.4 to run frugally on my MrChromebox.tech modified hp chromebox using external drive (essentially now a dual boot chromebox/pc but with messy bootup ctl-L esc 2), by following Barry's instructions to edit BOOT_SPECS file.

Tried to install RCRSN51's hplip_print_fd600_3.14.4.pet to get my ENVY4500 all-in-one to work, but when tried test print using edit prog it helpfully told me it couldn't find a file /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups.
After a lot of searching and reading, found file in hidden .session directory, but as .session/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cups/filter/hpcups.
Copied cups directory out to /usr/lib directory so file now .session/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups and BINGO! printing now works after restart.
Now tried to get scanning to work with RCRSN51's hplip_scan_fd600_3.14.4.pet. Similarly to the above, had to make peasyscan directory in .session/usr/local/ and then config directory within this, then config.cfg file within .session/usr/local/peasyscan/config/ and BINGO! scanning works after restart.

Just my 2 pennyworth of contribution for anyone interested.

Terry
Where is this PET? I can't find it.

The PET is probably installing to /usr/lib64/cups/filter/hpcups, which ends up in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cups/filter/hpcups when installed.

It is probably designed to work in Slacko. If you look at the Ubuntu pkgs, for example 'cups-filters':

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd6 ... s/filelist

The filters are in /usr/lib/cups

The hplip PET should have a post-install script that detects the correct path and moves the files.

Alternatively, you could put a symlink:

# ln -s ../cups /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cups

EDIT
Or, you could install the Ubuntu HP printing DEBs. In the PPM, search for "printer-driver-hpcups" and also "hplip".

BarryK
Puppy Master

#211 Post by BarryK »

pupmate wrote:To answer my own question, I've just downloaded ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, put it on a pen-drive and run the pc from it.

The file structure of /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups is there, no sign of x86_64-linux-gnu bit.

Seems it's an invention of Easy0.4.

Also it isn't in Easy0.3 either.

For what it's worth.

Terry
No, it isn't in Easy 0.4 either. Easy is built from Ubuntu DEBs, and the path is /usr/lib/cups

BarryK
Puppy Master

#212 Post by BarryK »

ETP wrote:The current test, now contained in /etc/rc.d/rc.network_eth is plainly erratic and falsely failing.
On the assumption that it is a timing issue I have inserted an additional 2 second sleep at line 24 & will see if
that is of any benefit.
If it helps a simpler alternate test might be:

cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier
It returns 1 for yes or 0 for no.
# cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier
cat: /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier: Invalid argument

...it is there, I wonder why get that error message?

eth0 is currently in use.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#213 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote: Can i ask you a favor? Will you set up a test "frugal" install of Easy, then do the following:

1) Update PPM

(then the critical part)

7) but then try to find some way to launch it from the "ec-chroot friefox.dekstop" that Easy Container Management created.

I must be doing something terribly wrong :oops: . I can't get anything to launch, created with Easy Container Management, in any of my 'frugal' installs of Easy 0.4. I had to "manually" copy everything (firefox-related) over from the non-container side into the 'Firefox" Container itself. Why? Well, even though Easy Container Management created the Firefox container, it is/was nowhere to be found in the Container itself. :cry: I even had to create my own symlink from the Container back to the non-Container desktop so Firefox would lauch from the Container (or at least that's what I hope is happening).

P.S. Substitutng Firefox, though, for Seamonkey in my 'frugal' installs (have 3 going on different USBs) has solved all the weirdness I was reporting from Seamonkey. I'm thankful for that as it was driving me crazy :wink:

First off, about the terminology. Easy does not have a "save file", now does it have a "full install". There is only one mode of of operation, regardless of running from a usb-stick or in the internal hard drive. You could call this "frugal".

In other words, it is a frugal installation when running from USB-stick also. There should be no difference in behaviour, compared with install to a internal drive.

I did a quick test. Have Easy installed in the SSD in my Mele mini-PC.

Ran "easy-containers" from a terminal, so can see if any error messages.

Chose to create "geany" in a container. Did not change any security settings -- that is important, as this is pre-alpha, and a change in security settings then it might not work.

That's all, it is done.

Geany-in-container is now in the menu, but running from a terminal:

# ec-chroot geany

...yep, works.

belham2

#214 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote: Can i ask you a favor? Will you set up a test "frugal" install of Easy, then do the following:

1) Update PPM

(then the critical part)

First off, about the terminology. Easy does not have a "save file", now does it have a "full install". There is only one mode of of operation, regardless of running from a usb-stick or in the internal hard drive. You could call this "frugal".

In other words, it is a frugal installation when running from USB-stick also. There should be no difference in behaviour, compared with install to a internal drive.

I did a quick test. Have Easy installed in the SSD in my Mele mini-PC.

Ran "easy-containers" from a terminal, so can see if any error messages.

Chose to create "geany" in a container. Did not change any security settings -- that is important, as this is pre-alpha, and a change in security settings then it might not work.

That's all, it is done.

Geany-in-container is now in the menu, but running from a terminal:

# ec-chroot geany

...yep, works.

Hi Barry,

Sorry, I must have not been making clear (in 4 different posts now) what is going on.

1) This has to be done from a 'frugal' install.

2) Install anything, Barry, anything from PPM (you did not do this, Geany is included in Easy, is it not??) or something from source or from wherever.

3) Then go through the process of setting up a Container for what you installed, and it appears everything is fine.

4) But it is NOT fine----anything that comes from/installed from PPM, or source (which a person built with devx) or ubuntu/xenial or wherever---if it is from OUTSIDE what you originally included in the ISO---it will not run in the Container Easy set up for it. Heck yes Geany will run....it is originally included in Easy, is it not (I'm typing this from another desk in the house, don't have access to my Easy stuff at the moment)?

Please do the test with the parameters I listed above, and from a 'frugal' install you will find running anything in a Container (that Easy set up for it), any program that you've installed from PPM, or form wherever, will not work. It will not even launch, not even from terminal. Sure, all these things you've installed, they all will work & run as plain root, but none of them will run and/or launch in the Container Easy created for them (when you set them up using the menu "Easy Container Management/Setup" item).

{UPDATE: I have company right now, so I just ran downstairs to my office to look, and sure enough, Geany is already included in Easy. So, invalid test, Barry. I think perhaps it's time to 'nix' the running of Easy as 'frugal'. Why? Because when I full install Easy to a USB, no matter what programs I additionally install/ load into Easy, and have Easy setup Containers for them, they all work great from their Container. But the reverse is not true---something is not working from a 'frugal' install. Thus I am going back to using Easy only as a 'full' install since I want to run Firefox and other things in Container, all programs that are not included in the original Easy ISO}

ETP or anybody else, can you please help me here, and test this what I am seeing (in multiple 'frugal' Easy installs, and help me get through to Barry? I am exasperated and I now do not know how else to explain it to him since I've tried in multiple posts now. Thank you in advance

Keef

#215 Post by Keef »

belham2

No, you are not completely doo-lally.
I get the same results when trying to get containers for downloaded apps. Tried Firefox and Mypaint.

# ec-chroot firefox
/ec-run: line 9: firefox: command not found
Container firefox stopped

# ec-chroot mypaint
/ec-run: line 9: mypaint: command not found
Container mypaint stopped

Both run when launched normally.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#216 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote: I must be doing something terribly wrong :oops: . I can't get anything to launch, created with Easy Container Management, in any of my 'frugal' installs of Easy 0.4.
Repeating, it makes no difference whether running from usb-stick or installed "frugally" on an internal drive. They are both "frugal".

HOWEVER, there is one difference between running from a USB-stick and the "frugal" install -- the latter has boot-partition and working-partition the same -- which should not make any difference to running behaviour.

I have understood your problem.

Easy Containers works by creating a layered filesystem, with q.sfs on the bottom, and a rw layer on top (which is a folder).

Therefore, only apps in q.sfs will work.

That is why geany works, and firefox doesn't.

I have modified the 'easy-containers' script so that it will only offer apps that are in q.sfs, so, users of the GUI will not hit that problem.

Easy Containers is very much pre-alpha, and there are going to be many gotchas like this.

Thanks for the testing, I have removed at least one of them.

The only way to get firefox running in a container will be to install it while running in a container. Which could be done by launching the 'sh0' container, then install firefox from the commandline.

...which is currently not a simple process.

The better solution will be that I modify PPM to optionally install into a container.

Or, just not allow downloaded apps to be run in a container. Which will be the simplest solution.

EDIT
Or, remaster q.sfs
For that, you will need the bug-fixed remaster script, coming in 0.5.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#217 Post by BarryK »

Version 0.5, still pre-alpha, is out, for anyone who is interested:

http://bkhome.org/news/201710/easy-os-v ... eased.html

The upgrade mechanism, that is described in one of the how-easy-works pages, is not yet properly implementable.
So 0.5 has to be treated as a new install.

Some little outstanding issues:

An active ethernet with internet connection, is still not detected automatically at first bootup. SNS has to be run -- though now, reconnect after a reboot should be fixed.

A very minor thing -- at very first startup of SeaMonkey, there is supposed to be a "please wait" popup. That has gone awol.

Text editor geany starts with the sidebar showing. This is not really an issue, except my preference is for it not to show.

don570

#218 Post by don570 »

version 0.4

When I booted up from my USB flash drive
I noticed spelling error on screen while booting.

I see an option to check files ---> filsystem check

should be 'filesystem check'

Also , when I went to your site http://barryk.org/news/
and clicked for Easy linux news

http://easyos.info/news/ --> I got a 'Not found' error

However the following does work -->http://bkhome.org/news/all_posts.html

I am using windows 7 - firefox browser.

don570

#219 Post by don570 »

Here is a fast paint program that is compatible with the wacom graphic tablet.
I compiled it in Xerus 8.2 64 bit, however it works in easy linux because
of similar libraries.

azpainter-64bit-2.1.1.pet
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7JZA ... 3JwcWlJV00
Size 584kb

peebee

#220 Post by peebee »

Easy-0.5 on my desktop with nvidia graphics boots and the desktop appears for a short time but then the signal to the monitor is cut and the monitor goes completely dead!

A message about no text version of xorgwizard being available flashes up briefly during the boot sequence....I think....

I also notice that the Easy folder is not being distributed from ibiblio to the mirror sites - e,g, its not on nluug.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64