How to use Puppy's Update Manager?

Booting, installing, newbie
boxesincloset

How to use Puppy's Update Manager?

#1 Post by boxesincloset »

Greetings, all.

I am using Slacko Puppy 6.3.0 and it seems that the graphical update manager only allows me to select one item at a time. I have tried holding shift and selecting all of them, but that does not work.

Am I missing something here?
Attachments
Screenshot1.png
(41.91 KiB) Downloaded 561 times

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

You might want to try 6.3.2, which is more up-to-date, or the 6.9.9.9 beta here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110510

As far as I know you are right and each one must be clicked on individually otherwise. Some like grub2 and mplayer-1.2 don't really work better though (from what I remember) so maybe it's better just to replace your OS with one of the two mentioned.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

That one at a time is for a reason.

It allows you to choose only what to update.

Not really a good idea to choose more than one at a time, download, and install.

It prevents too many things being downloaded and installed at one time.
This can cause problems with low memory computers and how much free space in the puppysave.

Sometimes a specific update requires something specific also to be done.

Sometimes a specific update has to be installed before a different one can be.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Limit your use of Update Manager

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi boxesincloset,

Update manager was theoretically a good idea. In practice, not so much.

Slacko, woofed from Slackware binaries, isn't Slackware. Puppy Package Manager isn't the package manager used in Slackware. Update manager reads the information provided by Slackware for updating Slackware using Slackwares package manager. Slavishly following the information provided as to what can be automatically updated fails to consider what in a Slacko should be updated and can result in breaking applications built specifically for Slacko.

As a practical matter, the differences between one version of most applications and later versions of those applications are minimal; more bells and whistles only an aficionado would notice.

The only applications which should and must be updated, when possible, are (1) security protocols, (2) web-browsers and (3) significant bug fixes.

From time to time, check The Additional Software Forum, Security, for recommendations; then use Update Manager to install them.

Whenever possible use the latest SFS of Web-browsers. SFSes are not installed; they are loaded and unloaded. So they can't break your system. And, as you don't have to delete one SFS before trying another, you'll always have, at least, one working version.

By significant bug fixes, I mean significant to you. That there was a problem on someone else's computer, that the application couldn't do something you don't care about doing aren't significant problems. You'll know when you have one. Then its time to do some research as to whether and how the problem was solved; and if solved by an available update; use Update Manager to install it.

Caution: before applying any update (or installing any questionable application) backup you SaveFile/Folder &/or Remove the Automative Save. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 010#830010. The link is to the end of the thread. After reading the first page of a thread --to understand its objective-- skip to the end to find out the latest information; then read backwards as necessary. Much of the information at the beginning of OLD threads may no longer be relevant.

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mike's advice is good. Take it.

When you've been knocking around 'Puppy-land' for a few years you get to realise that Pup ain't like a lot of other systems. It's one of the very few where it really doesn't matter about running older software.....mainly because of its unique method of operation.

Security, browsers....yes. Agree with that. But I'm running a nine-year old version of Winamp under WINE. It doesn't pose a security threat at all. It works. And that's all I'm concerned with.

You can take the advice of the regulars here with confidence. They know whereof they speak.....

Mike. :wink:

Gordie

#6 Post by Gordie »

All I ever do is download and burn to usb stick or even to cd the new version. Setup takes only a few minutes at most and data can be transferred easily. I keep a separate partition for files and programs I want to keep. Installing a few programs only takes about 1/2 hour and there ya are

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Gordie wrote:All I ever do is download and burn to usb stick or even to cd the new version. Setup takes only a few minutes at most and data can be transferred easily. I keep a separate partition for files and programs I want to keep. Installing a few programs only takes about 1/2 hour and there ya are
I think Gordie's nailed it. Pup is so small & lightweight, and programs install so quickly, it doesn't take long at all to set up a new Pup from scratch. Especially if your data is all on external partitions, which can be easily sym-linked into /root.

Even in my case, what with sym-linking multiple applications into Puppy from a common data partition, and extensive customization, I can begin the process, and be done between 2 1/2 and 3 hours later. Sorted!

It's the customization and personalization wot takes the time..... :lol:

Mike. :wink:

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

Yeah, maintaining a Puppy has its prat-falls. I have found its NOT just download and forget.
One does have to go into usr/lib and patch things by symlink. And I see in the screenshot posted, the nefarious X11 pkg update that should be done bottom to top, and mixed in there is a different security update (the libxml2 update). So yup, I see why newer folks wait for updated distros, and sadly, a lot of the elder and even newer are not updated as a remaster. IMHO this should be done, just for the security patches alone at the veery least. /MHO

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."